Start by marking “Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm” as Want to Read:
Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm

Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  1,462 Ratings  ·  133 Reviews
“Written in words so intimate, calm, kind, and immediate, this extraordinary book feels like a message from our very own heart….Thich Nhat Hanh is one of the most important voices of our time, and we have never needed to listen to him more than now.”
—Sogyal Rinpoche

Fear is destructive, a pervasive problem we all face. Vietnamese Buddhist Zen Master, poet, scholar,  peace a
Published November 13th 2012 by HarperOne (first published January 1st 2012)

♥ Ibrahim ♥
Oct 14, 2013 ♥ Ibrahim ♥ rated it it was amazing

I have often wondered, and still wonder, how in the world did these Buddhists manage to pull the carpet from under the Christians who have the living God? What went wrong? Christians these days talk a lot about what we ought to do and how we are falling short whereas Buddhists talk a lot about "being" and how we need to be alive and living in the present moment. Living now. The Kingdom of God is a present now. Thây in this book won't admonish you for being afraid or rebuke your "little faith" bu
Hannah
Jan 27, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I've read in the self-help/spirituality genre. I'm a big fan of Pema Chodron's When Things Fall Apart, and this book is going to be another one I revisit over the years. The author offers practical, step by step meditations, taking the guess work and ambiguity out of what can be a daunting process to a beginner, such as myself.

The tone of this book is sometimes choppy, but I got the sense that it had been distilled and condensed until only the most important words
Booklunatic
May 09, 2015 Booklunatic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspiration
4,5 Sterne

Sehr interessant und inspirirend, hat mir viele Denkanstöße gegeben und wird sicher für die ein oder andere Übung noch öfter aus dem Regal gezogen.
Sian Lile-Pastore
Loved this, found it all a bit powerful (though am super tired and emotional today). Particularly liked the bits on community and how we can't have world peace until we are at peace with ourselves. Also loved the five mindfulness trainings at the end - what a guy thich is hey?
Karl
Nov 08, 2014 Karl rated it it was amazing
When you pick up Thich Nhat Hanh’s book, ‘Fear’, you immediately get the sense that the words come from a person who is very gentle and whose aim it is to help people overcome the energy draining force known as Fear. Many people spend a great deal of life’s precious resources dwelling on the past or fretting about the future - often which never materializes - instead of living in the present moment, where our true power lies.

Indeed, staying grounded in the moment is the starting point to overcom
Sherry
What a wonderful book! So much information condensed into a mere 164 pages that though I've finished the book I know I will re-read it again, immediately,but at a slower rate to absorb every last bit of wisdom. If you are interested in deepening your meditation practice but are a novice as I am, the last chapter of the book is devoted to meditative exercises that will help you deepen and strengthen your practice and also give you the tools needed to manage anxiety and fear. Highly recommended.
Stephen
Jan 18, 2013 Stephen rated it really liked it
I found the Buddhist knowledge in this book to be incredibly helpful and relevant to anyone who feels they can be overwhelmed by fear, anxiety, regret or any other pains that life brings about. Mindfulness grants a toolcase to work against the feelings that make us suffer, and I found the simple exercises and philosophy Nhat Hanh outlines helpful to our daily lives.
Justin
Mar 16, 2013 Justin rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-2013
I enjoyed this book, but immediately after reading this one, I started his book on Reconciliation and it is the same book. Whole chapters are just copied into this book, so if you read that one, it is the same.
Grace
Jul 05, 2013 Grace rated it really liked it
This has been a summer of reading several Thich Nhat Hanh books. What can I say: I love the guy. I love his peaceful demeanor that is clear even in his writing. I love the strides he’s made to make the mindfulness practice more accessible to non-Buddhists. After living in his monastic community for a week, I’ve gotta say that I love that, too.

One of the things that I love about Thich Nhat Hanh’s books is how similar they all sound...they all have the same calm tone that makes it feel like you’r
Saiisha
Aug 05, 2016 Saiisha rated it it was amazing
Signature Thich Nhat Hanh! So gentle, soothing, and compassionate, as he gets down to the deepest, most vulnerable parts of us that feel fear. The last few chapters are filled with several simple prayers / meditations, but the one mantra I hope I'll always remember is "I have arrived, I am home" - that simple statement just makes me breathe deeply and feel at home right now, right here (not being anxious about the million what-ifs). Highly recommended!

If you're interested in spirituality, philos
Jessica
Mar 01, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I will read this again and again. I love how simple yet effective the meditations are. I have suffered from anxiety, fear and panic attacks for as long as I can remember. Since my mom suggested Thay, all of those things have decreased. I even use meditation at bed time to help me sleep better and at work when feeling stressed and overwhelmed. Thay's writing is simple yet eloquent and so easy to understand. I am amazed at how quickly I was able to dive right in and comprehend everything.
Sarah Evan
I really enjoyed the majority of this (audio)book. He provides a perspective to fear (and in effect, worry) that is helpful and concise. There are overlaps to his other mindfulness works but this one branches out enough to be a book that I'm re-listening to and learning from a second time over. The element that I do not appreciate is the puritanical and judgemenal slant to consumption and other life decisions (e.g. casual sex) that is just jarring to the message of accepting what is.
Rubina
Apr 18, 2013 Rubina rated it really liked it
Another good book from Thich Nhat Hanh. Through the teachings of Buddhism, Thich offers wisdom on how we can overcome the fear, anger, despair and anxiety in all of us. He touches on topic such as reconciling with our past, releasing fears about the future, fear of death, the power of mindfulness and how we can transform our fears also through meditation exercises.
James Allen
Mar 03, 2016 James Allen rated it it was amazing
An excellent book on mindfulness and letting go of fear and embracing compassion.

The meditations on impermanence, attachment, and loving kindness helped me to gain awareness and opened up the present moment.
Caitrin
Oct 23, 2013 Caitrin rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
more philosophical than practical, but still worth reading as it contains very worthwhile perspectives on how we let anxiety and fear keep us from being happy. some useful recommended exercises here and there.
Ginger
Jul 31, 2016 Ginger rated it really liked it
A beautifully written book on fear, we all have it in some way or another and Thich Nhat Hanh provides us with inspiration and meditations to ease this burden.
Tawnee Isner
It wasn't the topic of this book I didn't like buy more the author's style of writing. Something about it felt off from the other similar texts I've read.
Hannah
Feb 11, 2013 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Good advice for either beginner or master in mindfulness. Thich Nhat Hanh is always a treat.
Ngan Pham
Mar 07, 2016 Ngan Pham rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-go-over-again
A book of wisdom as most of his works are. One time of reading is never enough.
Jennifer O'Neill
Apr 06, 2013 Jennifer O'Neill rated it it was amazing
This book should be recommended reading for adults.
Franta
Aug 23, 2016 Franta rated it it was amazing
Look into your fear deeply. Stare at it.
Only then it shrinks.

Fearlessness is freedom.
LavenderPoodle
Jan 18, 2017 LavenderPoodle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Thay's teachings, and this book is no exeption. I like how he points a way to transgress your greatest fears without it being necessary to believe in anything outside of yourself. (Not that I don't, but I find it makes these teachings extremely available to anyone of any faith or non-faith.) I was not a huge fan of the structure of the book, the chapters and their titles. That's the one star that's missing for a full five. But the actual text is encouraging, loving and energizing.

For
Matthias
Feb 20, 2017 Matthias rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Incredibly interesting book about fear and how to deal with it from a Buddhist perspective. Funny how different religions can be. While one of the purposes of a Buddhist way of life is to free people from fears and worries with objectivity, it looks like Christianity deliberately wants to bestow feelings of guilt and fear on people, and deftly has used fear as a way to spread and maintain the Christian belief. This book has taught me to look deep into the origins of anxious thoughts and to smile ...more
Virginia Franklyn
Jan 30, 2017 Virginia Franklyn rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book you need to read more than once and perhaps even take notes. Its take on the sources of fear and how to free yourself from it are spot on. The answer is to realize certain truths about life, be mindful, aware, and meditate. These aren't easy fixes, but it gives me hope that with some work I will be successful.
Saikat Basu
Jan 07, 2017 Saikat Basu rated it really liked it
Interested in meditation and mindful practices? Read it.

But I would suggest that you don't read it in one go. Digest a few pages at a time. Turn over the idea in your head, and find opportunities to apply them to your every day life.

It took me four months to finish this book. I walk away with deeper insights and renewed fervor for the power of breath.
Hannah Givens
Jan 23, 2017 Hannah Givens rated it it was ok
DNFed around page 70. Most of his stuff is very widely useful, religiously speaking, but this one has an awful lot about how we don't need to be afraid because birth and death aren't real and no one ceases to be. I have no reason to believe that, so this book was just making me even more anxious than before.
Kelly
Nov 21, 2016 Kelly rated it it was amazing
By far one of the best books I've ever read. I've already re-read many passages throughout the book, and I can easily see that this is a book I'll continue to go back to. I love the wisdom that's shared and the exercises provided are helpful. Very easy to read and understand. I highly recommend.
Islam Ahmed
Feb 09, 2017 Islam Ahmed rated it really liked it
Great book. Definitely would recommend reading it, yet as you browse through the pages you will find that the concept becomes redundant and repetitive, but definitely have a gist in it and wisdom. Great perspective from a spiritual Buddhist monk.
Kyla
Nov 14, 2016 Kyla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, buddhism, 2016
TNH has nailed it again. :)
Alison
Feb 03, 2017 Alison rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book!
Old Souls Book Club: Fear, by Thich Nhat Hanh 3 5 Aug 18, 2016 06:34PM
Old Souls Book Club: The Present is Free from Fear 1 3 Aug 04, 2016 07:00AM
  • Taking the Leap: Freeing Ourselves from Old Habits and Fears
  • Waking Up to What You Do: A Zen Practice for Meeting Every Situation with Intelligence and Compassion
  • A Lamp in the Darkness: Illuminating the Path Through Difficult Times
  • Smile at Fear: Awakening the True Heart of Bravery
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • Happiness Is an Inside Job: Practicing for a Joyful Life
  • Love For No Reason: 7 Steps to Creating a Life of Unconditional Love
  • At Home in the Muddy Water: A Guide to Finding Peace Within Everyday Chaos
  • Ten Breaths to Happiness: Touching Life in its Fullness
  • The Wisdom of Compassion: Stories of Remarkable Encounters and Timeless Insights
  • If the Buddha Married: Creating Enduring Relationships on a Spiritual Path
  • Joyful Wisdom: Embracing Change and Finding Freedom
  • Buddha Standard Time: Awakening to the Infinite Possibilities of Now
  • Polishing the Mirror: How to Live from Your Spiritual Heart
  • The Art of Presence
  • The Practice of Psychotherapy (Collected Works, Vol 16)
  • We Can Work It Out: Resolving Conflicts Peacefully and Powerfully
  • The Great Work of Your Life: A Guide for the Journey to Your True Calling
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...

“The only way to ease our fear and be truly happy is to acknowledge our fear and look deeply at its source. Instead of trying to escape from our fear, we can invite it up to our awareness and look at it clearly and deeply.” 10 likes
“ To meditate with mindful breathing is to bring body and mind back to the present moment so that you do not miss your appointment with life.” 10 likes