Start by marking “Silverwing” as Want to Read:
Silverwing

Silverwing (Silverwing #1)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  10,422 Ratings  ·  467 Reviews
When Shade, a young Silverwing bat, gets separated from his colony, he must set out on a dangerous journey to find his way back to them.
Published November 15th 2011 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Silverwing, please sign up.

Liam ~I put a banjo up into the sky. It keeps us movin', it keeps us movin' It's actually not that bad. It's not the best, since I find that the story is childish, but some of the description and story is a bit violent.…moreIt's actually not that bad. It's not the best, since I find that the story is childish, but some of the description and story is a bit violent. Somewhat like Airborn.(less)
GD Trekkie Goth is very strong in what he believes and thinks its the best for his kind. Goth is strong and powerful but also wanting revenge and instead of…moreGoth is very strong in what he believes and thinks its the best for his kind. Goth is strong and powerful but also wanting revenge and instead of peace he wants war. He is a warrior and is highly respected by his kind. (less)

Denise
Sep 14, 2015 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I began reading this novel because my grandson in the fourth grade was reading it. He was enthusiastic about this book and I wanted to show interest in his school work. The areas of study are endless! (character studies, friendship, compare the various bat characters with people you might know...leads conversation into bullying, deceitful people, friends vs enemies, creative writing and nature studies etc.) This is a beautifully written novel which gives descriptions and facts in an interesting
Crystal
Oct 22, 2007 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who writes a book about bats? Kenneth Oppel does! And he does it extremely well. The characters are all very realistic and I felt like I was watching real bats with the descriptions and actions. One of my favorite things that still blows my mind about this book is that the author admits to using only 'black', 'white', and 'silver' as colors in the book. I didn't even notice, but now that I know it's very amazing to me. Kudos to Kenneth Oppel and his great writing.
Silverwing is just amazing! I read it in just a day, and that's no small feat for me! It was just so capturing! It was quite fast-paced I found, but I liked that for a change!

It was just un-put-down-able!

The story-line is very original, which I loved, and is about bats! This is my very first bat fiction story that I've read, and it had made me have a taste for bat stories!

This is a flawless and exciting story {{I found myself cheering and wishing Goth and Throbb would just hurry up and die!}} a
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
2.75

I saw this book recommended in a group recently, and it sounded like it could be fun. The fact that it fits an October month challenge, along with the fact that my local library actually had it in the shelves, pushed it up the line a bit.

It was a cute adventure story about a runt silverwing bat who is smart and curious and questions things, when most of his colony goes along with the status quo out of (justified) fear. His biggest adventure happens when, during a storm, he gets separated fro
Brianna
A message from my 10 year old self: This is an excellant book! It is all about the journey of a young bat, and what he encounters. I learned quite alot, not like it's true or anything (but it might!) and I didn't get bored. I read it in approximately a day. Bullies, friends, myths and lots more fun stuff is jammed into this great novel! Congrats Oppel!
Qt
Feb 16, 2008 Qt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-adventure
Being a fan of bats, I was very pleased to find this new trilogy, with bats as the main characters! The hero's quest to find his colony, as well as unraveling layers of legend and mystery surrounding an ancient prophecy, was fun. I especially liked the aerial action scenes and the description of echolocation.
Kaitlyn Mae
Jul 16, 2014 Kaitlyn Mae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite book EVER. Kenneth Oppel is an amazing author, and this fantasy is nothing short of AMAZING. Although, the characters and emotions are so realistic, I can hardly believe it is a fantasy. Bats are my favorite animals, so you could see why I loved the characters. But the characters' personalities and emotions will catch anyone's interest, even a person who doesn't like bats. A mixture of adventure, friendship, and thrill, this novel left me hungry for more, so I went on to read ...more
Andrew
May 21, 2014 Andrew rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a long time ago and a few of the concepts in it stuck with me... I liked the idea of the echo-chamber that houses all the knowledge of the bats, just like we have books (or now the internet).

It's a one-star because the characters are bland, the theme is boring, and the 'message' is too weak even for a children's book.
Anna
Jun 09, 2015 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it, it was a inspiring story of a small bat who's bravery is anything but small and determination of a fierce character. The story is wonderfully written and beautiful.
Deborah Pickstone
Charming animal fantasy for children, readable for adults.
Julia
Feb 09, 2016 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
for some reason i remember this being one of the first novels i read in grade 2-3? wow, memories. i also read it out of order. the more you know. firewing, silverwing, sunwing. yay.
Oscar Hardwick
Jul 02, 2014 Oscar Hardwick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well this book was a pleasant surprise. Many years ago I read the prequel to this series by Kenneth Oppel and thoroughly enjoyed it.

That said it was many years ago and this book was certainly intended for a younger audience and it showed in the brevity of the book itself and in the simplicity of the storyline. Aside from that I don't have any real complaints about this book.

The story whilst simple is well constructed and is always moving and keeping you interested as a reader young or old. It re
Kathryn
Nov 09, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was initially hard for me warm to the idea of a book with bat protagonists (not that I don't like bats--I'm just not a big "novels about animals" girl) but I loved Oppel's "Airborn" series and was eager for more of his work. I'm very glad I gave "Silverwing" a try. It is an exciting and thoughtful adventure with a courageous and sensitive hero I ended up being very fond of--bat wings and all! While I don't think the overall story is quite as enjoyable nor the secondary characters as well-deve ...more
An Odd1
Nov 07, 2011 An Odd1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
"Silverwing" is a colony of small dark bats, migrating south, ahead of runt Shade. Swept out to sea by a storm, he meets older Marina, banished by Brightwings who thought her band was a poison curse. She asks to join Shade's colony, led by a banded elder. They believe bands are a sign of divine promise that bats will regain the day, against present owl law. Every stranger has beliefs that challenge and rock Shade's, reminding us to question everyone.

I don't like children who misbehave and endan
Lee Födi
Dec 18, 2014 Lee Födi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will teach you a lot of things about bats, not the least of which is the distinction between the taste of mosquitoes and moths. Who knew? But that's what makes this book so delightful. Author Kenneth Oppel creates such a richly detailed animal kingdom, that before you know it, you are caught up on the updraft of adventure, following young Shade through the intricate worlds of bats, owls, pigeons, and all the rest. My favorite part is the echo chamber, where all the stories of the bats ...more
Steen
I really wasn't sure if I was actually going to be into reading a book about bats but honestly it surprised me. I've wanted to read this series for awhile but only finally picked it up. Quite a bit darker then I thought it would be but still pretty good.

Goth and his companion are actually pretty scary. I love that they have their own gods, their own superstitions and their own history of wars with other creatures.

I can't find the right words to express how impressed I am that you never forget t
Yvensong
Apr 26, 2010 Yvensong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Yvensong by: Neil
At first, it seemed to be a little slow, but once the story takes off, it becomes a real page turner. I liked how the author describes the world without using color. It's done so well, that I didn't miss color in the descriptions of what Shade, the protagonist bat, sees. Also, the author kept me engaged with the characters by describing the sights and sounds through the characters sense of sight, smell, hearing and more importantly, through echolocation.

Fun read and will probably read the next i
Charles
Nov 02, 2008 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
A really fine and fun book. I'm an adult but when I saw this at a bookstore and that it was about bats I just had to pick it up. I loved it so much I immediately went out and got the sequel, which is also very good. I know there is another sequel to, which I've got on my list to buy.

As a kid I always loved stories that gave life and character to animals, and this is a fitting successor to the great works of Jim Kjelgaard and other such writers who did it for me.
J.T.
Jun 28, 2013 J.T. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals-fiction
Kenneth Oppel is the only author I know who has used bats as protaganists, and the reward to the reader is a unique glimpse into a bat's black and white world. (No colors are used in descriptions in the book.) The main character Shade's longings and affections are remarkably human and the bat rituals and culture are believable. Complex allusions to human behavior, religion and culture make this a story with legs and one I would happily read again.
Dulce
Sep 18, 2016 Dulce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting adventure with what I found to be a major discourse on religious/cultural exploration and discovery. The book also features some quite dark themes that I didnt expect to find in a kids book, but maybe I don't read enough 90s kid lit anymore!

Very batty. I would recommend for fans of the Warriors series and other animal-POV adventure books.
Michelle K
Feb 20, 2013 Michelle K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, library
Shade and Marina make for great, sympathetic heroes; and Goth makes for a truly terrifying villian.
serprex
Jan 10, 2016 serprex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was the first book where I discovered that I could enjoy the story more than the reading
Alyssa
Mar 20, 2017 Alyssa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Silverwing
Kenneth Oppel
February Book Report

Silverwing is the story of a young bat named Shade, and his adventures. Shade saw the sun, which was an unspeakable act among bats and resulted in their colony's home being burnt down. The entire colony then moves south to their winter home. In a storm, Shade gets separated and meets Marina, a banded bat. The two embark on an adventure together, flying through cities and meeting two giant cannibal bats named Goth and Throbb. At first Goth and Throbb se
Student Symmes
Dec 19, 2009 Student Symmes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Silverwing by Kenneth Oppel
Review by: Javier Sarria

1. What did you think the book was about?

I think Silverwing was a story about a bat born the youngest and as a “Runt”. The bat’s name was Shade, in the story he gets into trouble, with his leader’s law, and put them in danger. When Shade and his family were migrating for the winter, Shade gets separated from the pack and is lost during the winter. Shade is scared and alone, while he needs to find his family and friends before winter starts.

2. D
Anna
Mar 22, 2017 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me personally this although more enjoyable than I had anticipated is not in the realm of the Warrior Cat series, Watership Down etc. I certainly now find bats endearing. As the next book in the series is reported to involve the bats interacting with humans and the negative side of 'research' I do not plan to continue reading. An imaginative and talented author without doubt.
Azalea
This is a really good YA book that I truly enjoyed. The pacing is fast and fits the excitement of the plot, but never too exhausting. Once you started reading, it will be hard to put it down again. Which is not that tragic since it is entirely possible to read it all within a nice and cozy Sunday afternoon, and it will be incredibly rewarding.

While main character Shade definitely possesses some hero's noble qualities - intelligence, courage, optimism, skill and a healthy dose of scepticism towar
Lexie
Feb 27, 2017 Lexie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this for a school novel studies, and I think that it was pretty much the worst book we had read at school. That's saying a lot. The plot centres around a young TALKING bat who meets other talking bats and wait for it... cannibalistic and humanoid bats. Don't get me started on the settings, I mean seriously it literally all took place in dark caves and trees. This was all depressing and dark and I can't see why it would interest anyone!!!
Faith Chin
May 07, 2012 Faith Chin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grade-6
This is book is so totally amazing!!! This book is as good and exciting as the TV show that they showed in 2003! After reading (and still watching the TV show), I love bats!!! This book is about a runt Silver-haired bat, named Shade, in the Silverwing colony, while was hunting, was taunted by a bigger bat named Chinook. So, Shade, offended by Chinook's taunts, decided to act more braver by looking at the sun. There is a law that bats were forbidden to look at the sun because of the Battle of the ...more
Jonah
Sep 20, 2016 Jonah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hey everybody want to read a book about mythology, adventure and suspense with likable characters. The BEST and I mean the very BEST way to get that is Silverwing by Kenneth Opel. Can I give this book 6 stars?
Why is it Kenneth's Magnum Opus? That is because of the story.
The story is about shade who is the runt of his colony. The reason why the story is so powerful is because of the bond between shade and his other friend which I won't spoil who. You can also feel shades emotions when everybody
Acadia
Dec 31, 2016 Acadia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I'm more obsessed with dragon books.
However, this book about bats caught my attention when strolling the library isles, looking for books. Pretty good for a fantasy book that is written about a creature that most fantasy writers chose to ignore,
Future Teachers, ...: KaraDaisy Review 2: Silverwing 1 3 Sep 30, 2016 02:55PM
Im half way thew this book and i really recommend it 2 5 Feb 23, 2016 10:52AM
Should I Buy This Book? 6 22 Apr 05, 2014 04:34PM
Silverwing 8 41 Sep 20, 2012 06:51PM
  • Raven Quest
  • The Mob
  • Urchin of the Riding Stars (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #1)
  • The Sight (Sight, #1)
  • Poppy (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #1)
  • Awake and Dreaming
  • Swordbird (Swordbird, #1)
  • The Siege (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #4)
  • Ratha's Creature (The Named, #1)
  • Wolfsaga
  • The Wild Road (The Wild Road, #1)
  • Promise of the Wolves (Wolf Chronicles, #1)
  • The Dark Portal (The Deptford Mice, #1)
I was born in 1967 in Port Alberni, a mill town on Vancouver Island, British Columbia but spent the bulk of my childhood in Victoria, B.C. and on the opposite coast, in Halifax, Nova Scotia...At around twelve I decided I wanted to be a writer (this came after deciding I wanted to be a scientist, and then an architect). I started out writing sci-fi epics (my Star Wars phase) then went on to swords ...more
More about Kenneth Oppel...

Silverwing (4 books)
  • Darkwing (Silverwing, #0.5)
  • Sunwing (Silverwing, #2)
  • Firewing (Silverwing, #3)