Blank-133x176
One Dangerous Lady

Jane Stanton Hitchcock

One Dangerous Lady (Jo Slater #2)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  377 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Jo Slater, once the grandest of New York's grandes dames, has made a miraculous comeback from the brink of social obscurity—and is living the good life again.

While in Barbados, as a guest at the most lavish high-society wedding of the year, Jo is contemplating a romance with a dashing British aristocrat when her old friend Russell Cole, a fabulously wealthy art collector,...more
Published June 26th 2012 by Harper Paperbacks (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about One Dangerous Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Dangerous Lady

Beth Pearson
This story starts out with 2 filthy rich 50-something women nursing hangovers on the balcony of a villa in Barbados. The BFF's daughter is getting married and we hear the friend griping about the pain of destination weddings, visiting other filthy stinking rich people in their mansions, etc. Kind of an annoying story and I almost quit reading it.

Instead I flipped open to a random page where a woman was confiding to a journalist-friend of her past involvement in someone's death, details of black...more
Samantha
I listened to the unabridged audiobook. After slogging through many chapters mostly devoted to a supposedly funny portrayal of NYC "high" society, I skipped chapters 22-34 and didn't feel as if I missed a thing. The only mystery in the novel was how long it would take the author to reveal the obvious. The only character I found interesting was unfortunately killed off. The reader, Barbara Rosenblat, however, was excellent, one of a very few I've heard who can do voices of the opposite gender cre...more
Devon
Socialite Jo Slater is back in Jane Stanton-Hitchcock's follow up to 'SOCIAL CRIMES' and after falling from grace Jo once again reigns supreme over New York's social scene. However, once again Jo finds that someone else is vying for her spot amongst the social elite. This time it is the wife of missing billionaire Russell Cole.

On a trip to Barbados to attend his goddaughters wedding Russell Cole goes missing from his palatial yacht. Not wanting to declare him dead, wife, Carla uses Russell's abu...more
Susan Ferguson
Interesting book and premise. The quote at the beginning "The social ramble ain't restful. - Satchel Paige

You've got to like a book that begins thusly:
"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a widow in possession f a good fortune must be in want of a husband. Or so all my friends constantly tell me."
Jo Slater is a queen of New York society. Her best friend Betty's daughter is getting married in Barbados and Jo has been invited to stay with her for the festivities and the wedding. Betty want...more
Connie
ONE DANGEROUS LADY by Jane Stanton Hitchcock is 406 pages in trade paperback form. This is a stand alone as far as I could tell about the book.

Brief Description:

THE HIGHER THE SOCIETY, THE LOWER THE FALL...

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a widow in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a husband. Being such a widow, I'm a little more skeptical Just as I'm skeptical of those who say that doing something once makes it easier to do a second time, such as skydiving or buying a...more
Sabine
So much fun! Not high literature, granted, but excellently written entertainment. Pleasurable read throughout. Some of characters' lines made me laugh out loud!
Thank God for "Goodreads" and "Kindle"! I read two of her books years past (pre-Kindle years), highly enjoyed them, and couldn't find any more in the bookstores.... Nice surprise to see on line that Stanton Hitchcock has written quite a few more stories - I am looking forward to reading them!
Nancy
Jane Stanton Hitchcock's saucy, snarky society novels are light and lethal like a glass (or three) of nice champagne.

Prospective readers should accept this book for what it is---good, nasty fun. NOT contemporary literature, but a great read. As Hitchcock's characters hop from one over-the-top party to the next, the reader looking for "more" can contemplate the frailty of friendship, the brutality of boardrooms (non-profit, of course), and the determination of dames to climb the social ladder. Y...more
Ruth
Long, long listen. NY high society.
Debra
I know it is always a risk to judge a book by its cover but Laura and I were willing to take this risk when we saw the hot lady on the cover of the book. She was so enticing we could not wait until she appeared on softcover. And it was worth the risk. This book was a cross between chick lit and Agatha Christie and I thoroughly enjoyed this modern mystery.
Asia
"Read it" as an audiobook. Great narrator. Not only was I looking forward to my daily work commute so that I can listen to this "page turner" but I even finished it.

Suspenseful and great writing. Not predictable like many books out there. Portrays a realistic picture of the upper-class Manhattan society.

(Book Checked out on 6-17-12)
Fran
I really enjoyed this "easy read" book. Since I liked the authors writing style, I looked for others by the same author. I discovered that this book was actually a sequel to the next I read entitltled "Social Crimes". Still enjoyed it but I knew the outcome before I finished it so read this book AFTER reading "Social Crimes"
Meghan
This book was not good. It didn't keep my attention and it wasn't entertaining at all. Plus the author isn't good, she apparently doesn't have capable editors because I found a lot of mistakes. I figured the story out from the beginning and wasn't shocked by any of it.
Lindsay green
Another page turning book by Hitchcock. This book combines the upper-class life--the yachts, the parties, the clothes, the customs--with tremendous suspense and one of the greatest women characters, Jo Slater.
Make sure to read the prequel Social Crimes.
Rebecca
Really good follow up to Social Crimes. It's not necessary to read the first before this one. There are a few mentions of the previous novel, but this is a stand alone novel. Very good - and well worth the read.
Amber
Aug 28, 2007 Amber rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women
This book was an easy read and kept me wanting more. If you like books about swanky, extreme upper-class, snooty, gossiping women, then this book is for you. I highly recommend it as a book to read while on vacation.
Andrea
Any novel that starts with two hungover ladies is good in my book. At times, the novel seemed to get bogged down talking about NYC society but overall it was a great read. I loved the snark!
Mandy
This is the sequel to social crimes and i thought it was great, maybe not as good as the first (but they never are) but it still kept me interested, full of high society scandal!
Linda
With humor and panache, author Hitchcock concocts a devious, convoluted plot in which not one, but two truly dangerous ladies play a deadly game of cat and mouse.
Ellen
I thought this was a fun book to read...a perfect book for summer vacation...It's about upper-class women with a murder mystery tossed in....I recommend this book....
Norma
I enjoyed the writing and the setting.
I was slightly disappointed with her 'non' reaction to whom the 'puppeteer' actually was.
Overall a pleasant escape.
Jessica
Fun easy murder mystery for entertainment. The beginning and end are strong - she loses a little in the middle, but it's worth continuing to read.
Waukena Cuyjet
Almost to the end of this book. Loving the life of the elite in New York City. A good mystery. Reads like a made for TV movie.
Louise
Nothing too special but still entertaining to listen to. If you can find it for less than $5, pick it up. I give it a 6.5 on my 10 scale
Stasha
I really liked this because it had a who-dunnit kind of vibe to it. Not to mention that St. Lucia played a small role as well!
Deidre
sequel to Social Crimes, not quite as good as it's predecessor but I had to know more about what happens to Jo.
B
The return of Jo Slater to New York and life with her upper crust NYC pals. As funny as the first one
Anthony
A good read, but not to the level of entertaining as Social Crimes, which was my favorite book by JSH.
Heather
This book was a little slow and drawn out in sections, but the second half, once moving, was pretty good.
Irvin Kelly
Not as as good as Social Crimes, but quite entertaining. This book picked up for me toward the end.
Elaine
A very intersing look at women and too much money. A fun book, well written with lots of fluff.
  • A Murderous Yarn (A Needlecraft Mystery, #5)
  • Nashville Noir (Murder, She Wrote, #33)
  • Murder at the Bad Girl's Bar and Grill: A Novel
  • Case of the Crooked Candle
  • A Rather Curious Engagement
  • The Ming and I (Den of Antiquity, #3)
  • The Chinese Parrot (Charlie Chan, #2)
  • The Withdrawing Room (Kelling & Bittersohn, #2)
  • What's A Girl Gotta Do (Robin Hudson, #1)
  • Essential Asatru: Walking the Path of Norse Paganism
  • Set Sail for Murder (Henrie O, #7)
  • Deadly Daggers
  • There's Nothing in This Book That I Meant to Say
  • January Kills Me
  • Bookmarked to Die (Miss Zukas, #9)
  • Don't Take Any Wooden Nickels (The Million Dollar Mysteries, #2)
  • The Rules of Gentility
  • The Ballroom on Magnolia Street
New York Times bestselling author and native New Yorker Jane Stanton Hitchcock started her career as a playwright and screenwriter. Her plays include Grace; Bhutan; The Custom of the Country, an adaptation of Edith Wharton's great novel which was first produced at The Mount (Mrs. Wharton's house in Lenox, Massachusetts), then moved to off-Broadway in New York City; and Vanilla, a modern restoratio...more
More about Jane Stanton Hitchcock...
Social Crimes (Jo Slater #1) Trick of the Eye Mortal Friends The Witches' Hammer The Custom of the Country: Based on Edith Wharton's 1913 Novel