Start by marking “A Scandalous Scot” as Want to Read:
A Scandalous Scot

A Scandalous Scot

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  293 ratings  ·  39 reviews
One scandal was never enough . . .

After four long years, Morgan MacCraig has finally returned to the Highlands of his birth . . . with his honor in shreds. After a scandal, all he wants now is solace—yet peace is impossible to find with the castle's outspoken new maid trying his patience, challenging his manhood . . . and winning his love, body and soul.

Jean MacDonald want...more
Published June 26th 2012 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about A Scandalous Scot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Scandalous Scot

Elis Madison
Morgan MacCraig has to skulk home to Ballindair Castle because he's so scandalized London that his political career is over and nobody likes him anymore. Except his boyhood friend Andrew, and it doesn't take long before you'll start wondering if that's a good thing. Andrew accompanies him home to give his gentleman-parts a break from all his sundry mistresses, while Morgan broods about his lost honor and the fact that he'll never measure up to his sainted father.

Jean Cameron a/k/a MacDonald wor...more
Susan
Good book. Morgan has returned to Scotland, escaping London and the scandal of divorcing his wife. He is looking forward to peace and quiet and instead runs into Jean, a fascinating maid. Jean and her sister are also looking to leave behind a scandal of their own. I really liked both Morgan and Jean. Morgan started out pretty stuffy, trying to live down his scandal by attempting to live up to his memories of his father. He is fascinated by his encounters with Jean, who is unlike any maid he has...more
Lisarenee
Morgan MacCraig had come back to Scotland after a bitter divorce that left him a pariah of London society. Divorce was considered scandalous and all but one of his friends had turned their backs on him. Never mind that his wife would sleep with everyone but him. He had had enough of London society and woman. He decided to go back to Ballindair Castle, his boyhood home.

Jean MacDonald and her sister, Catriona, had fallen on hard times and had come to Ballindair Castle to escape poverty and scandal...more
Terra
This story is a hoot right from the beginning with a maid that just happens to be in the wrong place at the right time doing the most embarrassing things. A well paced story with plenty of imagination, steamy kisses, Scottish pride and a wonderful romance that will have you dabbing the corners of your eyes with tissues.

Poor Jean MacDonald sure does have the worst of luck. A plain looking thing next to her stunningly beautiful sister that would keep her unnoticed except for her inquisitive nature...more
Samantha
This started off great. Jean is a maid with a past. She is caught by the Earl in his bedchambers, hunting ghosts. He is enamored by her honesty and innocence. The Earl has returned home after the scandal of divorcing his wife. The two find an unlikely friendship that gets complicated by a scandal. Morgan marries Jean in an attempt to be honorable and he finds that he likes being married to Jean.

I thought that Jean's background story would be a good element to the story but by time the truth was...more
Kitten Kisser
I had a hard time believing this story. Of course the majority of romance novels are pretty far fetched; it is part of what makes them such fun!

The main female character Jean is such a goody two shoes. She is introduced to the reader by hunting for ghosts. It is not scary, it's kind of silly. The main male character Lord Morgan is for the most part an innocent as well. While there are aspects of this that are endearing & not typical in most romance novels, it gets old fast. Mostly it was to...more
kris
Jean is a super plain maid, and Morgan is a super hot Earl. Due to circumstances that are not at all what they seem, they end up married! But don't forget the obligatory secret backstory, scandalous ex-wife history, and a weird religious tint to the text. (Jean is pretty convinced she's a horrible dirty sinner for...a lot of the book.)

1. WOW. I am so glad I read this before The Lass Wore Black because MAN, WAS CATRIONA KIND OF APPALLING OR WHAT. I salute Ranney for doing such amazing things with...more
E.
4 1/2 stars

Morgan MacCraig leaves London after a significant scandal and retreats to his Highland estate where he feels compelled to compare his accomplishments or lack thereof with his father’s stellar reputation. A rather odd maid causes him to re-evaluate his values and his goals but he is stunned to discover how much she will change his life and how much he is willing to risk in order to find his true priorities in life.

This was an entertaining lighthearted read that has a delightful contras...more
Leah
I'm giving this 4 1/2 stars! I love Karen and the way she brings these characters to life right along with their surroundings. She pulls me in each time and I find myself feeling as if I'm there with them. Morgan, a man betrayed and Jean, a woman with a secret. What laughter these two brought me! Morgan comes home to his ancestral seat to escape scandal, only to be bowled over, literally, by Jean. She continues to run into him on her late night ghost walks and slowly they come to know each other...more
Jess
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog rating: 3.5/5

They were a pair, weren’t they? The earl who’d divorced his wife, and the maid who hid her past. Perhaps they deserved each other.

Two scandals provide the backdrop for the relationship between a maid, Jean and Morgan, the Earl of Denbleigh. Jean and her sister Catriona are maids under their Aunt’s eye at Ballindair castle. They were the center of a scandal surrounding their father, a once respected physician. The girls are left with not...more
Amanda
Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of ths book through First Reads. All opinions, however, are my own.

Historical romance is not typically my thing. Not only that, but the last couple of romances I've read have been positvely dreadful. Between those two facts, I did not have high expectations for this book. (Which, I suppose begs the question: why did I sign up for it? Who knows.)

That said, this book was surprisingly enjoyable. Though I expected to trudge through it, I finished it in ab...more
Amy
A SCANDALOUS SCOT by Karen Ranney starts out rather slow which caused this reader, I have to admit, to hesitate wanting to continue but since I'm not one to give up easily on any book, I soon found myself sucked into a splendid story. Despite the slow beginning, once the characters revealed their depth of personality, the story soared with mischief, steamy romance and familial troubles that are easily related to on many levels.

Karen Ranney has always written with flair, detail and strong charact...more
Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog)

3.5 Feathers
Review also posted at Under the Covers Book Blog

Set in mid 1800s in Scotland, this love story is about an Earl and a Maid in his ancestral castle after five years of absence. SCANDALOUS indeed but the scandal came even before they have met each other.

Morgan MacCraig had finally come home to Scotland after five years of living in London with his wife, now EX-wife. It is within his rights to divorce but no one dare to ask what happened to him in London. Except for a witty, ghost-huntin...more
Cherise
Jean MacDonald and her sister, Catriona, were brought by their aunt to Ballindair Castle from their home in Inverness to be maids in the Castle. Jean wasn’t raised to be a maid, but is determined to embrace her new station and be the best maid she can be. Catriona, the pretty sister, feels she should skate by on her looks alone, unfortunately for everyone else, she usually does.

Morgan MacCraig hasn’t seen his ancestral home in 5 years. He has been in London, with his wife, doing all the things a...more
Connie Fischer
Jean MacDonald and her sister, Catronia, find themselves employed as maids at Ballindair in Scotland. Their aunt Mary, housekeeper at Ballindair, has been instrumental in getting them these jobs. Not used to the work involved, Jean finds herself concentrating hard on her assignments while her sister is more lax in doing a good job. There are old rumors where people have reported seeing several ghosts at Ballindair. Intrigued by this, Jean often explores the castle late at night hoping to catch s...more
Linda
OMG... I'm a fan of Karen's having read most of her books and this one is another winner... I won an advance uncorrected proof online in a contest... and that is the copy that I am reviewing here.

This one is unusual...as oftentimes one of the main characters will be involved in a scandal... this time in a twist BOTH leading characters are...

As always, Karen's characters are well-developed and I really connected with them. Interspersed thru-out are ghosts... of the manor, and of each of their pa...more
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Morgan MacCraig has come home to Scotland after causing a scandal. The first person he encounters is Jane, a maid in the house, who had spent the night trying to see one of the ghosts that lived at the castle. They were oil and water. Of course they were destined to be together. There was a problem and Jane has a large secret. Morgan had to look at things in a new way for things to work out. Scandal plays a big part in the motivation of both characters. I loved the dialog. It was crisp and enter...more
Glittergirl
Morgan MacCraig, 9th Earl of Danbleigh, returns home to Scotland in disgrace after divorcing his beautiful but unfaithful wife. There he bumps into maid Jean (Cameron) MacDonald, niece of housekeeper Mary and finds himself fascinated by the plain brown "wren". Found in a compromising situation when she tried to save her beautiful sister Catrionia, they marry and she draws out the man from under the pain. He in turn with the friendship of his dying grandfatherly steward William Seath, gives her t...more
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
Ms. Ranney pens a wonderful story that easily allows a reader to sink into the action. Jean is a lively heroine with an independent personality that will resonate with modern readers. Fortunately, Morgan is more than a match for her as a three dimensional character who is wonderfully, believably flawed. Though the plot is engaging, the eventual climax is resolved just a little too conveniently. That said A Scandalous Scot is a smooth, invigorating read well worth picking up.

Kaitlin
Reviewer for...more
Fern

I really liked Morgan and Jean. They found themselves while struggling with scandals in their past. Jean and her sister Catroina became maids in Morgan's family home after their physician father helped her mother to die. Morgan came home after divorcing his wife. Throw in a haunted castle and you have a wonderful story.

I love reading Karen Ranney's books. She writes stories with depth and believable characters that make me want to know what they are doing long after the story ends.
Kerrie Strong
I received an ARC from the publisher along with a few others, and since I love anything about Scotland, had to read this one first. Well, I began it this morning and couldn't do anything else until I'd finished it; what does that say? A great, traditional historical steamy romance. I liked the character development, even the ones I hated! LOL My first time reading this author, and I will be looking for more.
Melissa
Perhaps not quite a full 4 stars, but there were a number of good things in it that I liked, most particularly that Jean and Morgan argued quite a bit. And that the sister is never truly redeemed so not everything got tied up in a neat bow.

I'm not sure a physicians daughter would have ever been considered suitable for an earl (at least not without a sizable dowry or something) but it works for the most part.
Martha
I absolutely positively LOVED this book. The author made the characters come alive and you felt everything they felt! The plot had many neat twists and turns to keep you interested in reading ALL the pages and not skimming through chapters as some books are lent to do. I can't wait to read more by this author. The humor and the not so perfect characters really made this a great read!
K
Jul 14, 2012 K rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical romance
Recommended to K by: found on author's website
Shelves: favorites
After some paranormal books, I was looking forward to returning to a historicl romance. And thought this book was a good start; especially since I have like other books by this author. Overall, I found the story enjoyable w/ memorable characters. I liked how the story was not too predictable, and the humor. I would def recommend this book to fans of historical romance.
Felicia
I adored this book. It was a very fast read, I devoured it in a day. I don't want to give any spoilers so I am just going to say that I loved it and I felt that it's definitely worth the read. It's a sweet and funny romance novel.
Diane Sallans
I really liked the characters in this book, especially Jean. Scandals were involved, one that is still under major discussion today. Kept me reading to find out how things would be resolved.
The UHQ Nasanta
Jul 20, 2012 The UHQ Nasanta marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to The UHQ Nasanta by: DearAuthor.com
What prompted me to read it: DA review by Dabney
Victoria Blacke
Love the fact that she first meets the hero as she is ghost hunting! It was endearing they became sort of odd ball friends before lovers.
Aly is so frigging bored
Jul 09, 2012 Aly is so frigging bored rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aly is so frigging bored by: Eloisa James
A pretty great book. I loved how down to earth the characters were, no out of the world drama or crazy villein.
  • The Taming of a Scottish Princess (Hurst Amulet, #4)
  • Loved By a Warrior (The Warrior King, #2)
  • Lyon's Bride (The Chattan Curse, #1)
  • Secrets To Seducing A Scot (Highland Knaves, #1)
  • The Warrior Laird (Highlander Brothers, #1)
  • Conquered by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #4)
  • The Rebel (Highlander Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Highland Lover (Scottish Knights Trilogy, #3)
  • Starlight (The Christies, #2)
  • My Wicked Highlander (MacDonell Brides, #1)
  • Temptation in a Kilt (Bad Boys of the Highlands, #1)
  • Devil in a Kilt (MacKenzie, #1)
  • Highland Protector (Murray Family, #17)
  • An English Bride In Scotland (An English Bride In Scotland, #1)
  • Charming the Shrew (The Legacy of MacLeod, #1)
  • Winning the Highlander's Heart (The Highlanders, #1)
I’m a writer who’s been privileged to have attained the New York Times and USA Today Bestseller Lists. I write romance under Karen Ranney and romantic suspense and mysteries under my pseudonym, Katherine Storm.

I believe in the power of the individual, the magnificence of the human spirit, and always looking for the positive in any situation. I write about people who have been challenged but who wi...more
More about Karen Ranney...
Sold to a Laird (The Tulloch Sgàthán Trilogy, #1) Tapestry One Man's Love (The Highland Lords, #1) Till Next We Meet An Unlikely Governess