Start by marking “Scandal Wears Satin (The Dressmakers, #2)” as Want to Read:
Scandal Wears Satin (The Dressmakers, #2)

Scandal Wears Satin (The Dressmakers #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  3,024 ratings  ·  290 reviews
From the Journals of Sophia Noirot: A dress is a weapon. It must dazzle his eye, raise his temperature . . . and empty his purse.

A blue-eyed innocent on the outside and a shark on the inside, dressmaker Sophy Noirot could sell sand to Bedouins. Selling Maison Noirot's beautiful designs to aristocratic ladies is a little harder, especially since a recent family scandal has
Published June 26th 2012 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Scandal Wears Satin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scandal Wears Satin

Dija
So, so disappointing. One of the biggest let-downs of the year and my expectations weren't even that high.

There are three three main characters in Scandal Wears Satin: Harry, Sophy, and Clara.
1. Harry was a chauvinistic pig and an asshole, had the intelligence of a donkey and the tact and subtlety of an elephant, was more or less always hard, and did nothing but lust after Sophy.

2. Sophy had the personality of an immature child, believing herself to be so much more than she really was. While
Jill

"...One needs to be able to dress without help, if necessary."

"You must be deuced flexible," he said.

Wrong thing to say.

She went quiet and his mind starting painting pictures. Just in case he wasn't heated enough already.

For Sophy Noirot and her two sisters, their dressmaking establishment Maison Noirot, is not just a business but a passion. Three years ago they arrived from Paris with little more than their dressmaking talents. Now having secured Lady Clara, the Earl of Longmore's sister as the
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: June 26, 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins
Imprint: Avon
Author’s Website: lorettachase.com
My Source for This Book: Edelweiss
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 2, Dressmakers Series
Series Best Read In Order: Works well as a standalone
Steam Level: Steamy

Oh but how I adore the way Loretta Chase manages to give us deliciously sensible and pragmatic yet beautiful and enchanting heroines and the delightfully befudd
Lisarenee
Please Note: I read the ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) of this book, therefore, there may be some discrepancies between what I quote and the final version. Assume any and all errors are mine because they probably are.

The Common Cause:
"If I were less of a catch," she went on, "and if it hadn't happened so publicly, with all those people seeing me half undressed, there would be an easier way out."
"You weren't half undressed," Sophy said. "Your bodice was a little disarranged, that was all."
"Not th
Samina ~ Escapism~
My ratings:4.5 out of 5 stars
Scandal wears Satin is the second book in the series Dressmakers by Loretta Chase. Sophy is the second Noirot sisters who have come over to England from France to establish themselves as the primary dressmakers on London catering to the wealthy and aristocracy.

In Silk is for Seduction, we see Marceline get her happy ending but it also hinted at who would be the most likely next couple. It was implied that Lord Longmore had a tender for Sophy who seemed to have brush
Laura the Highland Hussy
Read my review on Demon Lover's Books and More

This is my first Loretta Chase novel, and while I can definitely say it won’t be my last, I will also add that I was slightly disappointed. I think I expected more from her. I almost didn’t finish it twice. At one point, my ARC expired (I was about halfway through, and finally getting into it!) and I had to get the book myself just to find out what happened!

Lady Clara is compromised by Lord Adderley, a bankrupt jerk who took advantage of Lady Clara
Lady Wesley
It's Monday morning, and I could use a few laughs. Depend upon Loretta Chase to provide them.

Kate Reading does her usual excellent job with this one. It can't have been easy, but she managed to find a distinctive voice for each of the Noirot sisters.

Vanessa Kelly
Loved it, loved it. One of my favorite Chase pairings - supposedly thick-headed hero with brilliant heroine. Their banter is sparkly and sexy and also very emotional. LC has an incredible knack for making the reader laugh at the same time as she's pulling on the heart strings. Nobody does it better! And nobody but nobody can paint emotional depth during a sex scene like LC, either. Masterful.
Jess
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads

She gave him a look of pure exasperation. He was familiar with that look. People turned it on him all the time. Her version, though, was precious.

(…)

“Why has no woman stabbed you before now, I wonder?” she said.

“I have quick reflexes,” he said.

Oh what a sweet hero and sharp, resourceful heroine. I read this book immediately after finishing book 1 in this series, SILK IS FOR SEDUCTION, and this one took a little bit to really get into. I had just co
Beanbag Love
This is a 3.5 rounded up. Very fluffy. Love the banter between the leads and the story arc was pretty basic. There was one element that wasn't resolved, IMO, but since there's another book to come (I think) then I'm hoping that will be dealt with there. The romance is nice and the tale is amusing, if a little more shallow than I was in the mood for.

This is the second book in the "Dressmakers" series.
Laura V.
Para empezar quiero aclarar que Loretta Chase es una de mis autoras favoritas y seguirá siéndolo, o sea, es super recomendable.

Bueno, no parece la típica novela de romance histórico que suelo leer. Es decir, ¿cuantas veces hemos leído la típica novela con la típica patito feo, o belleza despampante, o aquellos protagonistas con el típico pasado tormentoso, ex soldado, super oscuro, super misterioso? no es que ya no me gusten, pero me alegra encontrar novelas como estas, que son un soplo de aire
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
I’m a huge Loretta Chase fan. Her books are always a delicious combination of sexy heroes, strong but feminine heroines, fun plots and rib-tickling humour. I loved Silk is for Seduction, the first book in her Dressmakers series, and so I had high expectations of the second book, Scandal Wears Satin.

There’s one thing certain, if you’re feeling miserable when you start reading this book, you’re sure to have a big grin on your face by the time you get to the end. It is everything I have come to exp
Erika
Can I have that dress?
Patricia BookExhibitionism
Really, there were some problems with this book, as there are always, with any book. In this case, I'm feeling lenient, and won't talk about the hero too much (otherwise, I might come to dislike him a bit too much, and that would be unfortunate, because I adore Sophy) and instead focus on the good things. Or the best thing. Which would be Sophy, who is just lovely.

If I could, I would be her. As my final reading update says, all I can do is aspire to be like her. Master Manipulator, stole my hea
Lisa
When Lady Clara, the Maison Noirot best and most wealthy customer, finds herself engaged to the broke Lord Adderly, Sophia Noirot and her sisters find themselves at odds. Without Clara's patronage, there is a strong chance there shop will not survive. Especially with Clara's mother boycotting the shop since Sophy's eldest sister married Clara's almost betrothed. The situation goes into more upheaval when Clara runs away and it is up to her brother, Harry, the Earl of Longmore to fetch her quietl ...more
Grace
Oh so disappointing.

I read a reader's review about Loretta Chase once, and she said something about how it used to take her forever to come out with books, but when it came out, it was an absolute gem. Then, maybe at the behest of her publisher, she was forced to churn out more books, and some of them turned into real duds.

This book is one of those duds.

Forget Lord of Scoundrels or Lord Perfect -- both of which were extremely well-written. Even the first book of this series, Silk is for Seductio
Christy
3 stars
I liked this better than the first in the series but still can't really warm to the dressmaker theme. The urgent necessity to keep their shop open seems a bit ludicrous now that the oldest sister is married to a wealthy duke. If you accept that premise, the story is entertaining, largely driven by the force if the heroine's charm and personality. She's gorgeous, of course, but it's her inventiveness, charm and ability to slip into disguise that carry this book.
Harry, the hero, seems to
Susanne
What a delightful rainy Sunday. I adore this cover and I am glad to say that the book is just as delicious. It was fun, charming and captivating and I loved all characters. I was biting my nails to the end - how could there be a happy ending for everyone? Well, it was one of the best ending and I finished it with a big smile on my face.

"I'm a dressmaker", she said. "A milliner. Everybody knows we are fair game."
"You don't seem to know that", he said. "You're deuced uncooperative".

Harry and Soph
Layla
My rating: 4/5 stars
First line: "The trollops knew how to throw a party.”
Favourite quote: "He played her gently and slowly at first. She felt like a violin, and the feelings were music. Then, when he had every string of her being vibrating, the music grew more intense.”
Song of choice: All This and Heaven Too by Florence and the Machine

I always knew that Loretta Chase was considered royalty in the historical romances land but now I found out the reason. I haven’t read many books by her, actually
Emma
A very enjoyable read, different from the ones I've read recently. Truth is, I find you don't read a Loretta Chase historical like any other historical. Her style for one is quite unique. Every single page counts, every situation feels important.
I loved how Harry and Sophy spent the whole book together, talking, arguing, making fun of each other and yes of course loving each other. I loved the witty dialogues and the connection it created between the characters.
There was a bit of Jessica and Da
Miss
So. Much. Heteronormativity!!!!!!

Aughhhhhhhh. You know what I need? I need a break from romances for awhile; I am completely overloaded on the he was a manly man and she a womanly woman and they had sexy heterosexual sex dynamic. Dang people. I get it! He's a dude! She's a lady! They fall into very specific roles that the historical romance genre insists on returning to! It's cool, you can get up on all that virile manliness Sophie Noirot and you can continue appreciating the feminine form Harry
Aly is so frigging bored
It was worth the wait! I loved Sophy and Harry. They were a great couple that complemented each other: she was Machiavellian and he was straightforward, she "used a lot of adjectives and adverbs" and he was plain-spoken, she wanted to talk about feelings and he hated it(this usually applies to all men but it was worth mentioning :D).

Sophy and Harry:

It really covers both characters :))

Gerrie
I would actually give this book 4.5 stars, and mainly because the first 25% was a bit slow moving. But once the pace picked up, it was a wonderful book. Enjoyable, skillfully plotted, with an engaging hero and heroine. And a cast of well drawn secondary characters.

Loretta Chase is one of my favorite authors, and so far she has delivered her usual faultless performance with the first two books of this trilogy. One of my favorite series is also by Chase - the Carsington brothers. There is signific
Katherine
This is one of those books I didn't want to put down. I think Sophia is my favorite sister. The characters are fun, clever, nothing to intense but very enjoyable. The hero plays dumb but he is far from it and very protective of what is his. The Heroine and Hero suit each other perfectly. Can't wait for the next in the series.
Jordan
I just really loved this one.

Not that I didn't love the one before it a lot, but this one somehow was even better.

(view spoiler)
➴AℓpℌaAmұ
WOW. wow wow wow wow wow. I mean, after reading Silk is for Seduction, and loving that more than I thought possible, and falling in love with every single character, I was entirely prepared to adore this book. But this!?! What happened when I read the second novel in the Dressmakers series, was incredible. Oh my goodness, Sophy was amazing. I can't decide whose better - Sophy for her amazing drama skills and intelligence, or Marcelline, for her equally amazing skills at discretion, gambling, fli ...more
SidneyKay
Jen (Red Hot Books)
3.5 Stars
Nothing matters to Sophy Noirot as much as her sisters and the dress shop they have built from the ground-up. Their creations are on the cutting edge of fashion and they were just starting to get a foothold in society, when sister Marcelleine made a formidable enemy in the ton. But they're holding on, thanks in no small part to the patronage of Lady Clara.

Unfortunately, a scandal lands Clara bethrothed to a fortune-seeking scoundrel and Sophy takes it upon herself to extract her from th
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong setting 4 15 May 21, 2015 05:07AM
Sophy's secret - spoiler alert 2 23 Jul 14, 2013 05:35PM
  • A Notorious Countess Confesses (Pennyroyal Green, #7)
  • Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • Ravishing the Heiress (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #2)
  • Rules to Catch a Devilish Duke (Scandalous Brides, #3)
  • Confessions from an Arranged Marriage (The Burgundy Club, #4)
  • The Black Hawk (Spymasters, #4)
  • Along Came a Duke (Rhymes With Love, #1)
  • Lord of Temptation (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #2)
  • A Duchess to Remember (Ministry of Marriage, #3)
  • Unraveled (Turner, #3)
  • Shameless (The House of Rohan, #4)
  • One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
Loretta Lynda Chekani was born in 1949, of Albanian ancestry. For her, the trouble started when she learned to write in first grade. Before then, she had been making up her own stories but now she knew how to write them down to share. In her teenage years, she continue to write letters, keep a journal, write poetry and even attempt the Great American Novel (still unfinished). She attended New Engl ...more
More about Loretta Chase...

The Dressmakers (4 books)
  • Silk Is for Seduction (The Dressmakers, #1)
  • Vixen in Velvet (The Dressmakers, #3)
  • Dukes Prefer Blondes (The Dressmakers, #4)
Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3) Silk Is for Seduction (The Dressmakers, #1) The Last Hellion (Scoundrels, #4) Mr. Impossible (Carsington Brothers, #2) Lord Perfect  (Carsington Brothers, #3)

“Go away,” he said. “Do you know you’ve almost no clothes on?”
“Never mind. I need—”
“Never mind? Listen to me, Miss Innocence. There are many things a man can ‘never mind.’ A nearly naked woman isn’t one of them.”
11 likes
“Just listen,” she said. “You can’t kill him in cold blood.”
“Whyever not?”
Ye gods grant me patience. “Because he’ll be dead,” she said as patiently as she could, “and Lady Clara’s reputation will be stained forever. Do not, I pray you, do anything, Lord Longmore. Leave this to us.”
“Us.”
“My sisters and me.”
“What do you propose? Dressing him to death? Tying him up and making him listen to fashion descriptions?”
11 likes