Start by marking “Something Wicked This Way Comes, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Something Wicked This Way Comes, Volume 1

Something Wicked This Way Comes, Volume 1

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  718 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Captain of Nara's Heart Laurann Dohner Nara knew she was taking a risk with illegal trading. Sure enough, she's been arrested, caged-and will be auctioned as a sex slave. One look at the scary alien buyers and she frantically makes a deal, agreeing to be sold to Captain Vellar, who turns out to be large, sexy and seriously in heat. Offering her body to the captain is a giv ...more
Published December 2011 by Ellora's Cave (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Something Wicked This Way Comes, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Wicked This Way Comes, Volume 1

Danielle
There were some really good stories in here. I will definitely be looking into stories by the other authors, but I mostly purchased this book for Jaid Black's John Calder story. LOVED ITTTT!! World's worst stripper, acknowledgement of H needing a serious grovel/rejection.... Loved both the H and h and I am so glad that he finally got a hea. Can't wait for more from Jaid!
Erin Kyle
Overall, the rating was a 3*, and here's why (I'll skip the summaries),

#1: "Captain of Nara's Heart" -Laurann Dohner (5*)
I love Dohner. She's fabulous. And this is my favorite story in this anthology. It's marvelously written, very hawt, with a good and seemingly legit backstory/world. Great, great, great.

#2: "Dragon Heat" -Mel Teshco (2.5*)
Uhm...I have no attachment to this story. The best I can muster is indifference. It certainly wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything to write home about, either.
Lindsay
I read this book as a teenager. Not long ago, I had reason to read it again and noticed something that didn't entirely register the first time: Bradbury can really write.

This book's descriptions come at you at high speed. Bradbury doesn't choose among his figures of speech. He chooses all.

He can lay back, as in the opening sentence: "The seller of lightning rods arrived just ahead of the storm." He can lay back, but he usually doesn't. For example:

At dawn, a juggernaut of thunder wheeled over t
Erin
I read this so that I could read Laurann Dohner's Claws and Fangs, which the first one of that series is in Something Wicked This Way Comes (Claws and Fangs #1) by Jaid Black. Which I have to read volume 1 of things before I can read a volume 2.

#1: "Captain of Nara's Heart" -Laurann Dohner
I love Dohner. She's fabulous. I adore her New Species series, as well as the Zorn series. And this is my favorite story in this anthology. It's marvelously written, very hawt, with a good and seemingly legit backstory/world. Great, great, great. I would actually like to see
Caitlings
Not really sure why I read this. Each story was short and different and fun. I'm not a big fan of short story anthologies because they never really give you enough time with the characters and these ones were pretty par for the course for the their authors. Nothing new or different. Fun and enjoyable though.
Frances
These 5 are Stars for "Captain of Nara’s Heart" by Laurann Dohner

I got this anthology for LD's story... I LOVED IT but like always, was left wanting more! :o( It was a really interesting story and a new "story world." Now I want more of it. I wonder if she'll make separate books related to this story. I would TOTALLY LOVE THAT!

As for the other stories in the anthology... Well, I got this anthology mainly for LD's story so I don't know the other authors. I'm not in a hurry to read their stories a
Bianca
Just read the LD story, it was short and sweet!
Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
(I've only read The Addiction - Jaid Black story so far - the reason I bought this book)

I loved The Possession when I read it years ago and when I heard she was finally writing a sequel to The Possession with John Calder the illustrious owner of Hotel Atlantis Resort I couldnt wait to read.

Shelli Rogers is just 6 months from getting her Ph.D in Anthropology and due to her family falling on hard times since her addict father died she takes a job stripping. But she is the worst stripper. She is a
MK
This is a combined stories of known authors that I love. Some stories are quite to my fancy, others are not. So I will give my review on each of the story included.

Captain of Nara’s Heart by Laurann Dohner:
The plot is really simple that I wish there are more complications are included. The sex scenes are many, but the others are just fast forwarded that I feel I was left out in the story. The way Nara falls in love seems quite fast for me, but the Captain's possession of her (not just physically
Guilty Pleasures
4.5 Stars Overall

I have chosen to review this book as a whole and individually on each story; I admit I was skeptical because this book covers so many genres; however every last author delivered. What I was skeptical about was just damn fun to read this is a book that will satisfy your craving for all types of romance be BDSM or Paranormal or the simple sweet romance. It was really a fun read.

Captain of Nara’s Heart
By Laurann Dohner

In this paranormal romance we meet Nara who has been captured an
PurplyCookie
Not only is each story steamy, with engaging plot lines and fantastic sexual tension, they're each unique and different which is great in an anthology because it never got tired or boring. The variety of sensuous stories across the erotic genre will satisfy your wicked side.

Stories included were:

Captain of Nara's Heart By Laurann Dohner - We meet Nara who has been captured and sold as a sex slave, she is an Earther who is unfamiliar with all the galaxy inhabitants but refuses to lose her dignity
Romancing the Book
Captain of Nara’s Heart- I LOVED this story. For not being very long we were able to connect with the characters and have enough back story we weren’t fumbling around. You fall in love with Nara. Poor, poor Nara. She is caught in a terrible situation and she is trying to make the best of it. Luckily, the Captain is my second favorite kind of Hero- the kind that is a gentleman and treats you with the utmost respect but is a dynamite in bed. The other secondary characters are amazing too. There wa ...more
Josette Reuel
Overall this was a great collection of sexy short stories. Totally LOVED Captain of Nara’s Heart by Laurann Dohner (5 Stars to her) and Highland Tryst by Eliza Knight (5 Stars). Both of these hooked me and kept me reading. I enjoyed the love story and even with the quick read and the short time for the lovers to fall for each other, the story was believable to me. I could see the progression of their feelings.

Dragon Heat by Mel Teshco was pretty good as well, just didn't grab me as much as the p
Kathy
Something Wicked This Way Comes, Volume 1 by Jaid Black Something Wicked This Way Comes, Volume 1 was an interesting collection of stories from some very good authors. I originally bought this book because Laurann Dohner had a story in it and I love her writing. I was not disappointed and I was pleasantly surprised with the submissions by the other authors.

Here is my breakdown of these stories submitted to this anthology:
"Captain of Nara's Heart" by Laurann Dohner 4.5 stars
"Dragon Heat" by Mel Teshco 3 stars
"Dangerous Addiction" by Desiree Holt 3.
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://whippedcream2.blogspot.com/201...

Get ready for a wild ride with chills and thrills because six authors are going to take your mind on a roller coaster of adventure as they explore the spicier side of romance and passion.

Captain of Nara’s Heart
By Laurann Dohner is all about being in the wrong place at the right time. I thought the premise to be incredibly sexy and well done. It didn’t beat me over the head with sex scene after sex scene. After the first incredible an
Sassy Brit
Temptation at its Darkest!

Captain of Nara's Heart by Laurann Dohner

Nara Barns,shuttle Captain about to become an involuntary sex worker when she's caught trading things she's not supposed to avoids being auctioned to the weird looking aliens when she agrees to be sold to another Captain with an unusual (to say the least) requirement. Although making it with tall,sexy, in heat Captain Vellar doesn't seem such a tough assignment,keeping her heart in tact might be.

This one was good from the beginni
Cassandra Mello
Five Stars for the Laurann Dohner story, I loved it very much and am thankful for the epilogue at the end, sometimes short stories just don't feel complete, but this one did (though I definitely am hankering for a whole series based on these characters or a new cyborg book soon!)
T00zday

Dragon Heat by Mel Teshco: 2 stars. No hero in a PNR should be a premature ejaculator. That & I'm not believing the Instalove between dragon shifter & only remaining breeder for his species.
Book
I bought this book for the laurann dohner's story,captain of nara's heart. Ironically I didn't not like her story at all. I should have gone with my instinct. I usually don't like these short story books. they are usually expensive and filled with stories that are too short to have a complex enough story to be interesting. Laurann Dohner's story is too much sex and not enough relationship building. The second short story was my favorite and it actually was good dragon heat by mel Teshco. Only, n ...more
Aly is so frigging bored
Only reading Dangerous Addiction by Desiree Holt
I would have given it 4* but he called her 'girl' so many times that I wanted to kick him in the nuts!
Caroline Yamashita
Captain of Nara’s Heart Laurann Dohner

Eita linguinha!
Gigi Readus
Laurann Dohner
Desiree Holt
Jaid Black
Coco at *My Reading Nook Blog*
I chose this one expressly because I wanted to read The Addiction by Jaid Black. I wished John and Shelli's story were longer but I was satisfied that John got his sweet HEA after reading about him in The Possession. The other shorts didn't really hold much interest for me but were alright, not great. I'll point out that I'm just not big on the alternate universe/alien and paranormal stuff in general.
C.J.
Captain of Nara's heart- Loved this. Great characters, sweet and sexy.

Dragon Heat- Lots of action but not much chemistry.

Dangerous Addiction- Good story I just didn't connect with it for some reason.

Highland Tryst- Enjoyed this story. Great characters.

Tattoo Witch- Interesting story. Nice ending.

The Addiction- Lovely and funny story with HEA. Fab read!
Booklover, Indianapolis
February - 3.5. Not bad, but disappointed w/JB's story - been waiting for John's story for ages and the story is told well and then...just ends! I usually don't like books w/no real ending and if space was an issue as this was a story for an anthology, then at least she could have cut out a few pages and added to the ending! The others ranged from pretty good to ok -
Betzacosta Fiction
Eh, creo que fue hasta mejor la segunda parte. Por lo menos las de lauranh y Jaid, la del volumen 2 fueron mucho mejores
Karla
Captain of Nara’s Heart - Laurann Dohner - 3 stars

The Addiction - Jaid Black - 4 stars
This story is the reason I started reading this book. And I loved every minute. I would have preferred a longer story though.

Dangerous Addiction - Desiree Holt - 3 stars

Highland Tryst - Eliza Knight - 3 stars
Rachel
I actually think this was a great collection of stories.

I'm a big Laurann Dohner fan. I think everything she touches is gold and this is no exception.

Jaid Black knows how to tug at the heart strings.

The others were new to me and I'm going to check out their other works!
Maxie
I enjoyed the collection of erotic stories. The stories are all page turners and the writers are a great blend of talents. Their writings flowed smoothly. All erotic genres are present in the collection of stories. Definitely a sizzler.
Angela
Over all view is you gotta pick this Anthology up! It has everything you need shifters, Doms, Historical romance, aliens. You just can't miss here! I loved this entire book!
Prize Up For Grabs As We Launch A Hot New Anthology From Ellora's Cave 1 5 Jan 08, 2012 08:19AM
  • Mine to Chase (Claws and Fangs #2)
  • Master of Mine (BDSM Anthology)
  • Alien Mate 2 (Alien Mate, #2)
  • Mistress's Master (Men in Blue, #3)
  • The Last Detail
  • Sodom and Detroit (Virtual Seduction, #1)
  • Prepared to Please (Cyber Sex, #1)
  • The Captain's Man (Captain, #1)
  • Subspace
  • Kieran the Black
  • The Bloodstone Affair (Brothers of the Absinthe Club, #2)
  • Begging For It (1-800-DOM-help)
Jaid Black is the pseudonym of Tina M. Engler, the founder & owner of Ellora's Cave Publishing. Ms. Engler has been featured in every available news outlet, from the Washington Post and L.A. Times to Forbes, Publisher's Weekly, national TV news stations, and the Montel Show. Ms. Engler was officially recognized by Romantic Times Magazine with their first ever Trail Blazer award as the mastermi ...more
More about Jaid Black...
The Empress' New Clothes (Trek Mi Q'an, #1) Enslaved (Trek Mi Q'an, #3) Ties That Bind (includes: Bound Hearts, #1) No Mercy (Trek Mi Q'an, #2) No Escape (Trek Mi Q'an, #4)