Start by marking “Heroes for My Daughter” as Want to Read:
Preview

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  359 ratings  ·  99 reviews
An inspiring collection of heroes from whom our daughters can learn to lead a fulfilling and impactful life

In Heroes for MyDaughter, the New York Times bestselling author Brad Meltzer brings together the stories of fifty-five remarkable people, a diverse set of individuals from across time and from all walks of life: artists and inventors, scientists and explorers, who eac
Published April 10th 2012 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Heroes for My Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heroes for My Daughter

L.A.
Posted First on Blog Critics

Our children are a precious commodity. Given what we know from our own experiences we want to lift them past the mistakes we have made, and help to elevate them to the level of greatness within them. Often we are never sure how to proceed, so we look for answers to help them grow.

In Heroes for My Daughter by Brad Meltzer he has supplied a group of heroes, lovingly chosen for his own young child. That he would share his own secret to helping her move forward is a wonde
Nancy
I absolutely loved this book.

Meltzer features a number of people that he believes is noteworthy and writes a short page on each of them. What is different is that he clearly is writing to his audience - his daughter, Lila. What Abraham Lincoln is best known for might not be what he concentrates his character essay on. He is using each of these people, both past and present, to highlight characteristics he wants his daughter to value. Most of them have a common thread. They saw a need and made a
Dolly
I first heard a bit of this book on audio CD when slugging (ride share) in someone's car on the way to work. I was intrigued by the short 15-20 minutes I'd heard and decided to borrow this audio CD from my local library.

I listened to it with our girls over the course of a couple of nights and we enjoyed looking up images of the various people mentioned as he discussed them.

And because I hadn't seen it in a few years and our girls had never seen it, we watched Randy Pausch's famous Last Lecture o
cheryl
I was intrigued by this book and opted to recieve an advance reader's edition from Harper because I liked the concept. Meltzer provides a series of short biographies of men and women that he hopes will serve as heroes and impart life lessons to his young daughter. The writing is very simple and I can see it being a book that a parent shares with a young child by reading a couple of sections each night. Meltzer chooses interesting and varied heroes, many of them will be familiar to the reader alt ...more
Elizabeth
As the title suggests, Brad Meltzer wrote the book Heroes for my Daughter for his daughter. This collection contains brief commentary on many great heroes, from scientists to athletes to Meltzer’s own grandmother. But that isn’t what makes it beautiful. This book is beautiful because of the love with which it was written – every page represents a great attribute that Meltzer wants his daughter to emulate, every hero is the sort of person that his daughter might someday become. Perhaps the common ...more
Amy
Superb! This book might be better than Meltzer's "Heroes for my Son"!

There are lots of great "famous" heroes included, but I think some of the best heroes are / were the regular everyday people who did inspiring things. I am not going to tell you what these people did and why Meltzer chose them -- you will have to read the book yourself, but here are some of Meltzer's heroes that I, too, found inspiring:

Champions, Mallory Holtman & Liz Wallace -- their story actually brought tears to my eyes
Johannah
To Find other reviews by me: BetweenThePages

Jeremy, my boyfriend heard about this book over the radio on his way to work and then bought it for me to read as a gift. He thought since I've been taking care of my dad these past 4 years I needed a little pick me up so to speak. Something to make me feel good and it did just that! I loved this book!

I read this whole book in one day. It made me cry, but not from sad things in the book. But great things that people have done in their life. It is an in
Kristen
My grandmother gave this book to my daughter. She is still too young to appreciate it, but I'm not.

The author wrote the book as inspiration for his own daughter, as she grew and determined the kind of person she wanted to be. Each page is a brief summary of an important woman (in the author's view), and described the reason they were considered for the book.

While most of the women profiled in the book were known to me, I did learn a few things about them I hadn't known before. I especially lik
Sarah Bode
This was a quick read over successful people from around the globe in the past few hundred years. I really appreciated that it focused on how they didn't give into failure. Each of these famous individuals had their own set of challenges and hurdles. Which, nearly all of them I couldn't imagine facing.

Also, the author took only two pages to cover each "Hero." Therefore, it was like an introduction to the person, going over all the major highs and lows of the person's life. There were a few peop
Elizabeth
Loved this book so much I want to buy it for my own library! The letter to his daughter in the beginning is so beautiful. So many inspiring people in one book. He takes the most amazing attributes and actions of a person and highlights as examples for his daughter. Many people that I had heard of but quite a few that I hadn't. Makes me want to read more about the amazing men and women included in this book. (Would make a perfect mother/daughter gift.)
Carrie
This book is a wonderful read. I loved it and already gave it to my daughter to read. Every person(s) that Brad Meltzer chose for this book was a wonderful inspirational for anyone to read about. I loved that Brad had quotes from or about each hero and that he had people from his life that are his heroes. Great book. I absolutely loved it.
Deanna
What a lovely gift to give your children! There were so many amazing quotes in this book. My favorite is from Julia Child, "Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it."
Heather
This book is a fast and interesting read. It's written and directed towards the author's daughter which is both heart-warming and brings additional depth and a deeper emotional component to it.

I enjoyed that it covers a variety of individuals, even a few I had never heard of before. Because each biography was so short, I was never bored and was able to get through the book very quickly. I enjoyed being able to see a photo and read a quote either by or about each person that was featured.

Overal
Nina Norstrom
Today - Tomorrow - and Future . . . .

Throughout history, there are far more than some fifty-five achievers as we know. However, this author gives insight into the honors of fifty-five achievers. The details are short and easy to read. There is a two- page write up for each. Behind those pages, the reader will find a pictorial showing and a brief biography of their accomplishments. The people identified in the book are Heroes in their own personal way. Those for which the author elected to spea
Kristine Pratt
I enjoyed this book and look forward to sharing it with my own daughters.

The format of this book is simple, you have a photograph and a very simple story about why the individual featured is a hero, ending with a couple of quotes either from the person or about them. Simple but effective.

Every page was a delight. You never knew who was coming next from Dolly Parton to the Three Stooges. Some heros I would nod and say "Of course" as you saw them, others I would read to find out why or sometimes
Shanshad Whelan
Got an arc of this to read and so had the pleasure of paging through this book in the last few days. The author crafted this book for his daughter, and opens the first few pages with a letter to her, explaining how this book came about and why he created it. It gives the overall presentation a very personal touch, since this is not just a "Chicken Soup for the Soul" book with feel good stories for every person who reads it. This is a book created for someone in particular yet shared with the pub ...more
Dachokie
An Eclectic Mix of Role Models ...

This book was reviewed as part of Amazon's Vine program which included a free advance copy of the book.

HEROES FOR MY DAUGHTER is a neat little book in which Brad Meltzer introduces fifty-five individuals he felt were appropriate role models for his young daughter. While the list of individuals Meltzer chose and his rationale in choosing them were personally directed toward his daughter, the book is diverse enough to reach a broader audience and spark a young chi
Selena
I heard about this book a long time ago on NPR, so I decided to read it. I was curious who Brad Meltzer would think of as good heroes for his daughter.

That's exactly what this book is. Meltzer published this book for his daughter, and everything is written with her in mind. Everything is written to her. So for people who aren't his daughter, there were people who just made me go, "So?"

"Heroes for My Daughter" includes both well-known heroes (Hellen Keller), famous people you wouldn't think of as
Alice Cai
By Brad Meltzer
Inspirational
144 Pages

Elanor Roosevelt. Amelia Earhart. Anne Frank. Randy Pausch. Rosa Parks. The passengers of United Flight 93. These people, all unique, lifetimes separated by hundreds of years, have at the very least one thing in common. They inspire us. The tales of their lives motivate us; the things the accomplished are memorable. These people made a difference. In Heroes for My Daughter, Brad Meltzer collects stories of fifty-five such people into one
Shea
I absolutely loved this book! I got it from the library and lunch and had it done before the end of the day.
I found out about the book because I read an article on how Meltzer's other book Heroes for My Son was being made into a movie by Adam Sandler. Then I read that Meltzer also wrote a book for his daughter, and I thought I might related to it more (after I finished this, I decided to read the one for his sons too!). So I got it from the library, and I wasn't disappointed!
I found it to have
MaryKay
I received an ARC of this book. I enjoyed reading it and discussing it with my spouse. Meltzer’s book includes people I already admire (e.i. Eleanor Roosevelt and Sojourner Truth) and others I’m glad to be introduced to (Wangari Maathai and Alex Scott). Meltzer also described aspects of some of his featured heroes' lives that I was unaware of (the three stooges and Ella Fitzgerald).

I like the personal touch in his choices of heroes for his daughter. I’ve been reflecting on who I might choose to
Nikki Wilde
I may be a little biased as Brad Meltzer is one of my favorite authors but this book was inspiring. Meltzer just has a way with words. He's an amazing author.

I'm not sure there are enough words to say about this book. The messages to his daughter that seemed oh so personal to the inspiring heroes inside. The way he tells these life stories had me tearing up at almost all of them. It really made me want to be a better person. To strive for the unattainable.

The first story of Marie Curie, just w
T.L. Cooper
Brad Meltzer's Heroes for My Daughter is an excellent book for girls and boys alike! His short biographies of each person in the book spark the imagination, inspire confidence, and uplift spirits. He includes famous people and people from his own life giving all equal weight thereby demonstrating that everyone has the potential for greatness inside them. Heroes for My Daughter often made me want to know more about the people Meltzer included. His way of writing directly to his daughter makes the ...more
Eden
This book was written for the author's daughter and you can feel, as it feels very personal. It is wonderful written though and Brad Meltzer picked some great people. Some of the people I even look up to myself, Sacajawea, Dolly Parton and Tina Turner, just to name a few. Through this book, I've found some other great people who achieved a lot in their life.

It is a very nice book. One I think adults will enjoy and parents will enjoy reading to their children.

One thing I am impressed with is what
Jessica
This is the first five-star rating that I've given a book since I joined goodreads earlier this month. This book is amazing.

It's the kind of book that I wish I had when I was younger. It's filled with simple language, easy to understand. However, it's not just another "feel inspired" book. The people who are featured are presented as normal people who had big dreams and determination.

The format of the book is a little reminiscent of The Last Lecture (the professor is featured in this book) whe
Edith
I received this book through the First Reads program and was very excited when it arrived. This is a wonderful gift book with an inspirational message. Mr. Meltzer has done an excellent job of highlighting some well known heroes as well as some lesser known ones. In reading the book, I spent time thinking about what a hero really is and all the qualities that make someone a hero. I particularly enjoyed learning about Mr. Meltzer's 9th grade teacher and the efforts she went through to nurture an ...more
Geri
I got this book free through Goodreads First Reads and picked it up today from my po box. Opened the package and flipped through it. Several pages caught my eye and I ended up reading the whole book in the post office parking lot. What a wonderful book. One of my favorites is page 84. The Heroes of United Flight 93. It made me cry when I saw it. Whenever the anniversary for 9-11 comes around I never hear anyone remembering how brave the people were on that plane. They only talk about the other p ...more
Kathy
This book was much like Melttzer's Heroes for My Son, and I enjoyed both books. There was some overlap ofheroes, but I loved Meltzer choosing his mother grandmother and 9th teacher as his own personal heroes. So...who are your heroes? p.s. Brad Meltzer's children's book series (I am Abraham Lincoln....I am Amelia Earhart....I am Rosa Parks) is charming!
Sherry
Heartfelt. Where parental love and love for the common good intersect. The "perfect gift" for a baby shower, or from parent to child, but the contents are equally inspiring to boys, girls, and people of all ages. Daring and inspiring by example, "Heroes for My Daughter" makes the extraordinary hero human, finding a direct way to make that personal connection to names in a history book.

Highly recommended!
Diane Corradini
A great read! Meltzer has written one for his daughter and one for his son. He does a 1-page synopsis of people from all walks of life and why his daughter should see them as heroes and how he relates them to her life. It's a great way to read a brief bio of many different people and why they are important to us all.
  • One World, One Day
  • The Arrow Finds Its Mark: A Book of Found Poems
  • Desperate Sons: The Secret Band of Radicals Who Led the Colonies to War
  • The Valley of Heaven and Hell - Cycling in the Shadow of Marie-Antoinette
  • A Picture Book of Anne Frank
  • The Grand Mosque of Paris: A Story of How Muslims Saved Jews During the Holocaust
  • Minette's Feast: The Delicious Story of Julia Child and Her Cat
  • You Can Never Find a Rickshaw When It Monsoons: The World on One Cartoon a Day
  • Can't You Make Them Behave, King George?
  • The Jefferson Lies: Exposing the Myths You've Always Believed about Thomas Jefferson
  • Frog Song
  • The American Patriot's Almanac
  • The Griffin and the Dinosaur: How Adrienne Mayor Discovered a Fascinating Link Between Myth and Science
  • Marilyn Monroe: On the Couch
Brad Meltzer is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Inner Circle, as well as the bestsellers The Tenth Justice, Dead Even, The First Counsel, The Millionaires, The Zero Game, The Book of Fate and The Book of Lies.

He is also one of the co-creators of the TV show, Jack & Bobby—and is the Eisner Award-winning author of the critically acclaimed comic book, Justice League of America.

His
More about Brad Meltzer...
Identity Crisis The Inner Circle (Beecher White, #1) The Tenth Justice The Zero Game The Book of Lies

“...as your father, my instinct is to protect you ... Other people will want to protect you too. But remember that you are not a damsel in distress, waiting for some prince to rescue you. Forget the prince. With your brain and your resourcefulness, you can rescue yourself.” 7 likes
“Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it’s at the end of your arm. As you get older, remember you have another hand: the first is to help yourself, the second is to help others. —AUDREY HEPBURN” 0 likes