Start by marking “The Earth Path: Grounding Your Spirit in the Rhythms of Nature” as Want to Read:
The Earth Path: Grounding Your Spirit in the Rhythms of Nature

The Earth Path: Grounding Your Spirit in the Rhythms of Nature

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  979 ratings  ·  33 reviews
America's most renowned witch and eco–feminist offers a sequel to her bestselling classic The Spiral Dance, weaving together the latest findings in environmental science with magical spells, chants, meditations and group exercises to create the ultimate primer on our relationship to the earth.

From the earliest times, respecting our interdependent relationship with nature h
Published February 26th 2013 by HarperOne (first published September 28th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Earth Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Earth Path

Eli
I finished this book on Sunday, returned the copy to the library on Monday, and was at the book store Tuesday morning to buy my own copy.

I've been looking for this book for years, trying to force other books (most notably Natural Prayers and Becoming Animal ) to be what I wanted: the guidelines of a truly Earth-based spiritual practice. Why I resisted so long reading this book, which was/is clearly that book, I have no idea.

The book is filled with wonderful exercises, observations, and sugges
Kelda
Okay, so I've been reading this book for a long time. Starhawk goes through the elements with all these awesome awareness practices, etc. It combines permaculture, wilderness awareness, and paganism in a super-nummy way. Just read the 'soil visualization' and you'll be in love!
Lee
If I could truly rate this, I would perhaps give it three and a half stars. Maybe I have Starhawk fatigue from being forced to re-read Spiral Dance recently. Maybe I would have gotten a lot more out of this book if I read it at the start of my spiritual path. But this gets a bit of a 'yeah it was pretty okay' from me but I'm generally underwhelmed.

Starhawk offers some really useful tools for meditation, grounding and observation and connection to one's natural environment in The Earth Path. I di
I found this book educational, inspiring, compelling, and full of beautiful liturgy. The book starts with discussions of permaculture, earth-centered values, and the miracle and beauty of evolution. There are some basic practice exercises, and I found her discussion of observation and awareness (to listen to birds in the woods, to connect with a "home base" that you observe and relate to over time) to be especially insightful. She then discusses the five elements (air, fire, water, earth, and sp ...more
Darceylaine
Starhawk does such a great job of speaking in the voice of the Northern California earth-centered cosmology I came to call home when we were living and studying there. It just feels comfortable and straight forward to me. I love that her magic is so practical- we learn from observation, we use what we have at hand. Common sense witchcraft and activism.
Jean
I consider myself a Pagan, not a Wiccan, and at times think Starhawk is a bit spacey. But she's making a lot of sense here as she talks about how we are not honoring the Earth. We're polluting the air and water, as we knew for years, but do little about it. Genetically modified foods are taking over and soon we will have real food shortages, because regular plants can't compete. Plus all these chemicals are in our bodies.

But does the US look for alternate energies? No. Try to stop overdevelopme
Chrissy
Jul 02, 2010 Chrissy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone seeking to deepen their connection to nature
Recommended to Chrissy by: Kate Nash

The Earth Path is certainly a book written from a Wiccan perspective yet it is one that harbors wisdom for any and all who read it, regardless of their creed. In fact, you could remove all religion from this book and still be left with something wholly spiritual and educational.

Topics discussed within The Earth Path include organic & green living, ecology, ecopsychology, bioregionalism, climate change, activism, evolution, social change, permaculture, feminism (though not in the overt manne
Adam Smith
I think that Starhawk's sense of spirituality is both extremely moving and incredibly inspiring. She has always been and remains the most influential author in my eyes. She is real and practical, but also ethereal in nature. Her connection to the Goddess is real and intense and makes those that hear or read her teachings inspired to ignite their own fire for the infinite.
In this book she offers real ways to connect to the Earth that is both healing to the planet and invigorating to the soul. As
Timothy Browning
The book seemed to be thrown together, jumping around from topic to topic a little bit, but there were a lot of great insights here. I think she worked hard to write, as seems to be a regular practice, a book for both magic users as well as generally more earth conscious people. My feelings on magic are still pretty hazy, but I learned a lot of good things and had some good inspirations from this book.
Stacy
Mar 03, 2008 Stacy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pagans
Recommended to Stacy by: turbo
I didn't finish reading this. I really have liked many of starhawk's books, but i'm not so into the paganism. What i especially liked about this book was how it addresses the idea that the world would be better off without humans, which really is marginalizing to the native peoples of the earth's past and present. Gary Nabhan's book "Cultures of Habitat" also addresses this with more stats and such. They argue that we can live in on the earth without destroying living beings everyday, but we hav ...more
Diane Futo
Loved it! Compelling case for taking care of mother earth and realizing our connection. We are all as much a part of her as the creatures, the trees, the weather!
Rua
It is written by a witch for other witches, but even if you are not a witch it is chock full of great information and resources for working with the rhythms of Nature. If you are not into the 'spiritual' aspects of the book, it is easy to skip those parts and get into the things you can physically do to improve your relationship with the land you depend on. The hands on experience of Starhawk helps give you a better picture of what doing these things is like and how you can do it too. All the ph ...more
Kristen
Apr 27, 2008 Kristen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: environmentalists, pagans or pagan-friendly folks.
I really enjoyed this book, and got a lot out of it. Starhawk does have a tendency to assume her reader self-identifies as a witch or Wiccan. Not every witch/Wiccan is necessarily going to hold the same views as Starhawk, and not everyone who agrees with her would necessarily call themselves a witch. I found the book useful enough that after seeing it a few times, I was able to tune out the phrases "as witches, we blah blah blah". Now that I've read through it once, I intend to use it as a kind ...more
Eileen
I never considered how the witch-hunts in the 1600's killed off a whole culture of earth-based spirituality, and earth-based medicine and plant knowledge, to replace it with patriarchal 'expert'-based medicine and religion. Very interesting book, though I skimmed through some parts, Starhawk is an amazing woman with a lot of valuable things to say. Her association with paganism (pre-christian religion) and earth-based spirituality, and the word 'witch' should not scare people away from reading h ...more
Stephanie
A beautiful book. I didn't know much about Starhawk before reading this book, but I have to say, I love her. It was a surprise to find that she is all about permaculture which is something that I am just starting to learn about. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because it seemed like she is writing to a reader who is not already in love with nature and she was trying to convince the reader to love and bless the natural world around them. So, in that way, I was not the ideal reader. She is writing ...more
Cosmic Tree
Starhawk's spiritual philosophy so eloquently explained in this book is right in tune with my own. Throughout the book, ideas of us being a part of nature and nature being divine are expressed through words, stories, poetry, chants, visualizations and meditations. There is quite a bit of 'beginner' style explanation, but most of the exercises presented are quite unique. All ways to help better align yourself with nature and the universe in which we live. A definite keeper and constant reference.
Lauren Fulner
I love everything Starhawk has written, but this volume, based around the elements, is my favorite, along with her novel The Fifth Sacred Thing. Amazing practices for connectedness, awareness, and intention.
Christina Leftwich
I flipped through a lot of this book, especially the more specific Wicca spirituality stuff ( not my thing) . However, if you are looking for meditations based in nature that can help you connect more fully to her, than this has plenty of ideas and rituals that may allow one to do this in a mindful and meaningful way.
Rozz
What I have to keep remembering it to connect, connect, connect. By listening, paying attention to the wind, the land, the animals and plants, noticing patterns. This is where we live, right on earth, and each place has its own spirit, that it would be wise to pay attention too.
It is full of exercises and meditations.
MotherMagic
How often I've lamented that too many Pagans and Earth Spiritualists don't seem to care or know much about actual Earth ecology, about nature, Herself. So, of course, my favorite ES author would offer this remedy, an excellent Pagan primer on nature ecology, spirituality and science. Bless her!
Started out really great with the first couple chapters. After that, I had trouble getting into it anymore and skimread to the end. I am not sure I was connecting with the material the way i expected i might.
Michaela
Starhawk is a skilled writer and weaves a lot of autobiography, permaculture, and ecology into this book. I didn't give it more stars because, frankly, I got a bit bored about halfway through.
Gayle
I used Starhawk as one of my theorists when I did my theory orals for graduate school. I constantly use some of her "tools" in my own work, including grounding oneself in the natural world.
Jacqui
wonderful book that blends my love for eco-feminism, activism, ritual and witchcraft through examples of real-life practices. have given as a gift, recommended and lended my copy multiple times.
K
One of those books that profoundly altered my religions beliefs and probably one of the only books I've ever read on Paganism that helps me take the religion seriously.
carl
The best moment in this book is when she asks how many earth loving neopagans can actually name the trees in their neighborhood, let alone their local park.
Dani
Aug 19, 2008 Dani rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, pagans, enviromentalists
I absolutely love this book so far. It's insightful. I'm giving it 5 stars foreeeever. The stuff I learned about ecology are things I'll use forever.
Heather Harrington
An interesting book so far. It has print so small I feel old. I need a magnifying glass, even with my brand new glasses.
Mollie Trail
I love this book. It's so good though and really makes you think. Not my favorite of her books but I still love it.
Jenn
Wow, I loved this book. It was a nice surprise. Read it!
  • Evolutionary Witchcraft
  • Witch Crafting: A Spiritual Guide to Making Magic
  • A Witch Alone: Thirteen Moons to Master Natural Magic
  • The Elements of Ritual: Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle
  • The Grandmother of Time: A Woman's Book of Celebrations, Spells, and Sacred Objects for Every Month of th
  • The Circle Within: Creating a Wiccan Spiritual Tradition
  • Jambalaya: The Natural Woman's Book of Personal Charms and Practical Rituals
  • Pagan Visions for a Sustainable Future
  • The Witches' God
  • The Triumph of the Moon: A History of Modern Pagan Witchcraft
  • Natural Witchery: Intuitive, Personal & Practical Magick
  • The Inner Temple of Witchcraft: Magick, Meditation and Psychic Development (Temple of Witchcraft, #1)
  • Ariadne's Thread: A Workbook of Goddess Magic
  • Whispers from the Woods: The Lore & Magic of Trees
  • Coven Craft: Witchcraft for Three or More
  • Druidry Handbook: Spiritual Practice Rooted in the Living Earth
  • Weaving the Visions: New Patterns in Feminist Spirituality
  • Wicca For One: The Path Of Solitary Witchcraft
Starhawk (born Miriam Simos) is an American writer, anarchist activist, and self-described witch. She is well known as a theorist of Paganism, and is one of the foremost popular voices of ecofeminism. She is a columnist for both Beliefnet.com and On Faith (the Newsweek online forum on religion).

Starhawk currently lives in San Francisco, where she works with Reclaiming, a tradition of Witchcraft th
More about Starhawk...
The Spiral Dance: A Rebirth of the Ancient Religion of the Goddess The Fifth Sacred Thing (Maya Greenwood, #1) Dreaming the Dark: Magic, Sex, and Politics The Pagan Book of Living and Dying: Practical Rituals, Prayers, Blessings, and Meditations on Crossing Over Walking to Mercury (Maya Greenwood, #2)

“Energy moves in cycles, circles, spirals, vortexes, whirls, pulsations, waves, and rhythms—rarely if ever in simple straight lines.” 1 likes
“to” 0 likes