Start by marking “Planet Tad” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Planet Tad
Tim Carvell

Planet Tad (Planet Tad #1)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  505 ratings  ·  136 reviews
Twelve-year-old Tad is a blogger with a plan, in the book Jon Stewart calls "hilarious to anyone who ever went through, is currently in, might go to, or flunked out of middle school."

Tad has an agenda: Survive seventh grade. He also wants to: grow a mustache, get girls to notice him, and do a kickflip on his skateboard. But those are not the main reasons he started a blog.
Published May 8th 2012 by HarperCollins (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Planet Tad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planet Tad

Jen Bigheart (I Read Banned Books)
Told in a diary style, Tad is a 7th-grader who is looking to make a few changes in his life and he is bound and determined to: survive the school year, grow a mustache, get girls to notice him, and do a flip on his skateboard. From January 1st all the way through December 31st Tad tries his hardest, but things don't always pan out for him. He ends up starring in an elementary school play, breaking his best friends already broken camera, and hacking off his parents a lot.

Tad is a pretty insightfu
Tad, who is in seventh and eighth grade during this particular year when he begins blogging, is trying to find his way in the world. His concerns are those of the typical middle grader--he'd like to find a girlfriend and become more masculine. His almost daily blogs are succinct and read like a series of jokes since he's constantly putting his foot in his mouth and getting in trouble. One of my favorite parts of the book involved Tad receiving notes in his locker from a secret admirer. The resol ...more
This is a book about Tad blogging and surviving 7th grade. He had 4 resolution's for the year. The first one was to start shaving. The second one was to do a flip on his skateboard. Third one was to get more girls to notice him, and his last one was to finish 7th grade. Tad made me laugh with his funny antics like when he was watching deal or no deal with his father and thought to himself what if it was deal or no deal and eel. I also learned to not give a dog nacho food, ever. This book may cov ...more
Ray Bliss
Planet Tad by Tim Carvell.

If you like Mad Magazine you will love Planet Tad. Tad is a 12 year old boy that is in 7th grade. He decides to write a blog about his life. The entries span a year and all the fun, mishaps, pondering and zaniness that is in Tad's life. Planet Tad is fun for all ages - well most all ages 8-99 and if you don't believe me, then your a square.

Not only did I highly enjoy this laugh out loud book, but so did my wife and kids. I kept having to steal it back from them.

I recei
Eidolon John
Planet Tad falls in the "survive middle school" category of books. It's like an alternate universe of Diary of a Wimpy Kid, except for the fact that it is a bit of a dirtier version of Wimpy Kid, one example being the reference to monkeys giving lap dances. Tad is just a regular, mundane boy. It didn't have any description of anything, which made me sad to have to look at illustrations to see what characters look like. But the jokes were a bit funny...
Gut bustingly funny... I don't want to spoil it but I want the sequel!

I am not entirely sure what to think of this book. At times it was pretty good, at times it was just bad or made my eyes roll so hard they almost popped out of my head.

I do like the format, the emoticons that tell us how Tad feels during that day, and I liked that he wrote something every day, even if it was just a short little part. Not many kids would keep it up like he did, most would just give up, or end up just doing a few days and forgetting to do it every day.

But while this is all nice,
A pretty fun book featuring a seventh-grade blogger who makes funny observations about a variety of things (from the Wizard of Oz to the Gift of the Magi). The book tracks one year in his life and is presented as if it's his blog -- though this is really merely a jumping off point, since the illustrations don't seem to be presented as though they're JPGs or anything like that.

I found the humor to be clever but at times, it started to just feel like a structure for allowing the author to compile
7th grader Tad has started a new blog in which he records daily events from his life, and his hilarious takes on pop culture. From his family and friends, including his (possibly evil genius) sister Sophie, to film and pop culture, Tad shares his take on everything. Tad’s blog entries are short and sweet, and are accompanied by funny illustrations from Holgate. This book is a fast read and includes some laugh out loud moments.

I picked up this book because it was written by the head writer of The
This is an awesome and absolutely hilarious book! I would definitely recommend it to anyone in the 8-12 age range, especially to fans of the Wimpy Kid series!!

Tad is a boy in middle school who has an agenda on how to essentially survive seventh grade. He also has many important thoughts he thinks he needs to share with the world, so he starts his own blog. (So the "chapters" in the book are his daily blog posts - perfect for reluctant readers, or young readers fearful of long texts!)

I think all
Ms. Yingling
Tad is starting a new blog, trying to grow a mustache, and putting up with his annoying younger sister, Sophie. Told in daily entries (some of which are about things in his life, some of which are random observations like "If breakfast cereal is so popular, how come nobody makes dinner cereal. I'd eat it." page 137), this is more episodic than plot driven, covering everything from his interest in asking girls to dances to his science fair project.

Strengths: This will be popular because it is fu
There was no plot to this book. No problem, no resolution, no adventure or magic or pirates or anything.

It's a BLOG!! Did you THINK it would have a point? Jeez!

The humor in the book was great. It really made you think about things you'd never imagine thinking about! Including, how there isn't an "i" in "team", but there is a "me" in team. Or why exactly it matters that the guy in Green Eggs and Ham doesn't like green eggs in ham. Or how Luigi never gets
Shumin Wu
For a book penned by the head writer of The Daily Show, I expected more. It's not like I feel like I lost hours off my life by reading it, but it wasn't my favorite read of the summer. I liked Tad, and I got a pretty good sense of his life, but some of the situations seems like they were pulled straight from Everybody Loves Raymond. Again, not a horrible read, but others have done better with the genre of "dorky guy writes a diary/blog/journal."
Charity Ambs
I would recommend to kids who liked The Strange Case of Origami Yoda or Diary of a Wimpy Kid. This book is an almost completely character driven blog of humorous pop culture observations. Had a conversation with a boy who let me know this book hit its mark.
Tad keeps a daily blog, offering readers one highlight from every day of the year. I thought this was a hilarious and easy read. Definitely would recommend to reluctant boy readers.
I'd originally thought that this book would be a collection of the Planet Tad articles from Mad Magazine, so if you're like me and wondering if that's what this is, it's not. Luckily you won't be disappointed, because this book is really funny.

One of my favorite parts of the book was that it had a wide age appeal. If an adult were to pick up this book (such as myself), they'd be able to get into it pretty easily. Not once was I bored while reading this and I managed to finish it in one night sin
Jennifer Haight
Tim Carvell is an Emmy award winning writer for The Daily Show with Jon Stewart so it’s no surprise that his book Planet Tad succeeds at creating dozens of laughs. The book fleshes out Carvell’s series for Mad Magazine also named Planet Tad. The book consists of blog entries from twelve-year-old American boy Tad. We follow him as he flounders through the school year and into his summer which is in no way what he expected it to be. He has a smart and conniving younger sister, Sophie, whose advent ...more
A hilarious take on a 7th grade boy's life from the pen of Tim Carvell, head writer at The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. The book is in diary format and follows Tad on various adventures & life lessons throughout the year. Whether he is fighting with his younger sister, Sophie, disagreeing with his utterly uncool parents, or getting into trouble with his friends Chuck & Kevin, Tad's observations and escapades deliver solid laughter. A typical day in Tad's life goes something like this: "J ...more
I got a copy of this book to review through the Amazon Vine program. It’s not the type of thing I normally read, but sounded so funny that I had to give it a try. This ended up being a very well done book and a highly amusing read. There were parts of this book where I was laughing so hard I was almost in tears.

Tad is your typical twelve year old and has some specific goals for the upcoming year: 1) start a blog, 2) shave for the first time, 3) Get girls to notice him, and 4) do a kickflip on hi
Lindsey G
This book it a funny adventure of a boy starting from his 7th grade year to his 8th. He goes through a series of events as he learns how to take care of himself. This book resembles, "Diary of a Wimpy Kid," by being a blog the Tad keeps up and posts on everyday. Each new day is a new and exciting story and this book is sure to make you smile.

I would give this book a 4 out of 5 starts for it's humor and plot, but this book just isn' one that I would probably read if not for my book club.
The head writer of The Daily Show expands his "Planet Tad" column from Mad Magazine into a book that is formatted into blog entries by a 7th grader named Tad.

"Diary of a Wimpy Kid" was huge and spawned countless imitations in the world of tweenaged fiction. Therefore I presumed that Carvell would be mining that vein in vain. Upon reading "Planet Tad" however, I hereby decree that it is the best of the "Humorously Self-Deprecating 9-12 Book Formatted as a Diary" genre of children's literature. I
Eh, not the best.
I still cant get over that fact that Tad, a 7th grader, has (view spoiler)
Tad also comes off as a bit...Rude, I mean, He makes fun of all his (view spoiler)
Im not hating this book, but the main character just didn't really get me into this book

Planet Tad consists of daily blog articles that discuss events of the day in Tad's life as well as random thoughts that he might have. The overlying arc of the story follows Tad's attempts to fulfill his New Year's resolutions,which involved him starting the blog, finishing seventh grade, learning to perform a kickflip on his skateboard,getting favorable attention from girls,and starting to shave.
This is an awesome book, It's looking over the life of a seventh grade boy named tad is his imperfect world of imagination and mischief. It shows you his personal emotions that day and anything exiting that day. It has a completely clever comic book style of writing, and it is filled with awesome jokes. The book also includes romance, hardship, and a bunch of struggles from real life. Me and many other famous people have icluded this book into our 5 star list.
Oct 13, 2013 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 7th grade boys, Guys who still giggle at juevnile humor
This book shouldn't get 5 stars. It has only the vaguest hint of a plot.

It made me laugh out loud for real multiple times, so that calls for an automatic 5 star rating.

I will definitely recommend this book to my 7th grade kids who are stuck in Diary of a Wimpy Kid Reading levels. It has more words and less art than that book.

The main character is more likeable too, I think.

The humor in the book is definitely 13 year old boy, which is to say, it will appeal to most 13 year old boys, and many
Tad got a new computer for Christmas and has decided to start a blog, a diary of sorts. Tad is a twelve-year-old going into middle school and he has a thing for Natalie Portman. Anyway, Tad faithfully puts an entry into his blog every day telling us something of what happened that day and the mood he was in that day. Tad has a very unique way of seeing things - almost like a comedienne. For instance, when Rex goes to the vet to get fixed, he comes home with a plastic cone over his head. When his ...more
I expected this to be funnier than it was since it is written by a writer at MAD magazine. Still, it had its moments of middle school humor that made me chuckle. I would recommend this book for those who loved the Diary of Wimpy Kid series and are looking for something else.
Heath Patel
This book is about a seventh grader named Tad who is a young documenting about his seventh grade year it is a nice dramatic/life telling story i recommend this to people who like funny and life telling stories age limit 20+ LOL YOLO EBOLO
Seventh-grader Tad starts a blog to chronicle a calendar year from middle of 7th grade, into summer, and the beginning of 8th grade. His relationships with his best friend Chuck, his annoying little sister Sophie, and his clueless (maybe) parents are humorous and often world-shattering. The mysteries of life are questioned by Tad, such as 'who elected the Lollipop Guild to welcome flying houses to Munchkinland?' are pondered over time and time again.

Tad's entry into the girl-boy relationship is
  • Outlaw
  • Crush: The Theory, Practice and Destructive Properties of Love
  • How They Croaked: The Awful Ends of the Awfully Famous
  • 33 Minutes
  • Letters to Leo
  • Anyway*: *A Story About Me with 138 Footnotes, 27 Exaggerations, and 1 Plate of Spaghetti
  • An Elephant in the Garden
  • Almost Home
  • Under the Mesquite
  • Unusual Creatures: A Mostly Accurate Account of Some of Earth's Strangest Animals
  • Bully Bait
  • Jessie Elliot Is a Big Chicken
  • The Fourth Stall Part III (The Fourth Stall, #3)
  • The Defense of Thaddeus A. Ledbetter
  • One Dog and His Boy
  • Showoff (Swindle, #4)
  • The Surprise Attack of Jabba the Puppett (Origami Yoda, #4)
  • The Big One-Oh