The Countess

The Countess (Madison Sisters #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  3,045 ratings  ·  314 reviews
The fairy tale courtship did not turn into a happily-ever-after . . .

Not until her husband dropped dead, that is. He had been horrible enough to Christiana during their short marriage, and she was not going to allow the traditional period of mourning to ruin her sisters' debuts as well. So she decides to put him on ice and go on as if nothing's happened . . .

Until the real...more
Audio
Published June 28th 2011 by HarperAudio (first published January 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Countess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Countess

Laurie (Bitten by Romance)
Fascinating, touching and wickedly sexy. I just love Lynsay Sands hot writing style. I found a mystery that had me stumped. An adventure that had me on the edge of my seat, the closing had me wanting more. If you’re an historical romance reader please add this one to your list to try, especially if you like your books on the spicy side with a touch of humor.

Few spoilers below

Christiana wound up married to a hateful disrespectful man. Now she has no way out. After a year of living with this man,...more
Danielle
The Countess is not only funny or intriguing, but it is sinfully sexy.

When Christiana’s mean, cruel husband Dicky Fairgrave drops suddenly dead of what they assume are natural causes, she and her sisters decide to put him on ice (literally) and go on as if life hasn’t changed except for the better. The First night of Dicky’s death Christiana decides to go to a ball with her sisters. With Dicky being dead and all you could only imagine their complete utter shock when they see Dicky at the ball....more
Diana~
The Countess by Lynsay Sands was my first book by the author and I have to say, I really enjoyed it so I'm definitely looking forward to her next books! The book itself was sexy, witty, and amusing with a very engaging plot. It's slightly part mystery and romance but it fit well together. Throughout the entire story, I was clueless as to who the main culprit was, so if you like mystery with a touch of spice in the romance department in your historical romance books, then this is the one for you!...more
Lisa
The Countess was my first book by Lynsay Sands and I have found yet another author to watch and catch up with! This was a fun, sexy book...if you can get past the tad bit silly plot of hefting around a dead man numerous times! Christiana assumed she had met and fallen in love with the man of her dreams, Dicky Fairgrove. But once they are married Dicky dissolves all the charm and turns into a cruel, spiteful man always criticizing Christiana and refusing any callers or to go to any balls. When Di...more
Sabrina
Here's my problem with the book:
1)Everything was just too convenient: I was just walking by when I heard or the exact same day my twin dies, I make my appearence in public (although I didn't even know my twin died) or even though this was the first ball you ever attended, I just so happened to make that one as my grand appearence...and so on and so on. Far too many convienences...

2)The cliche...The villian just HAS to tell the "helples" heroine their ENTIRE evil scheme while thinking that their...more
Holly
Sands writes really light-hearted, funny romps. Though The Countess started out rather serious, it wasn't long before the silly side of the story emerged. This is the start of a new trilogy about three sisters with large dowries who must marry to save their family from ruin. I read them out of order because I didn't realize they were connected. I really enjoyed them, though they were rather farcical at times. They're told in tandem, which means they were kind of redundant at times, but overall t...more
Nely
Christiana could not help but agree to marry Dicky after their whirlwind courtship. He was courteous, charming, and quite frankly treated her like a princess. But that all changed after their "I Do's". Instead of the fairytale marriage she expected, Dicky became cruel, mentally abusive and alienated her from her friends and family. When Dicky suddenly drops dead she is definitely no heartbroken widow. Instead she and her sisters hide the body away and attend a ball. Needless to say it is quite t...more
Shelly
I can't say exactly what I was expecting, but this was totally different from that! Right from the beginning of the book I was laughing, a lot, something you don't normally do while reading a regency romance. The best description I could come up with would be to say this book reminds me of the movie Clue. Lots of running around, dashing back and forth, attempted murders, an actual murder, blackmail, sex, scandal - and it's funny and lighthearted! Totally different from any regency I've ever read...more
Cynthia (aka Artemis)
A great story that had me in stitches with some of the laugh-out loud passages. Reminiscent of "Who's On First". Any easy-to-read and pleasing tale of murder, blackmail, and stolen identities.

Christiana turned back to her sisters, most distressed to find her earlier good cheer suddenly replaced with a deep depression, and the blurted mournfully, "Do you know I've never seen Dicky daked? A wife should see a naked Nicky."

"Or even a naked Dick," Suzette put in dryly.

"Suzie!" Lisa gasped, blushing
Anne
Not at all realistic, but totally fun!

I think the basic plot is pretty well covered by the blurb, so I'm not going to go into it. It is worth mentioning, however, that there is quite a bit of humor involved in this book. Especially when everyone is trying to dispose of The Body! While it wasn't perfect, I really enjoyed this lighthearted story.

I'd recommend this to those who love trashy romance novels with wacky plots.
Lynsey A
Decent read. This is what I would call a "light and fluffy romance" hence my shelf. Even though there was some "excitement" trying to find the blackmailer and the murderer, I would still call this a light and fluffy read.

There were also some "awww" moments. All in all an enjoyable, quick read. (If one has time to read, which I didn't have a lot of while reading this book.)
SidneyKay
Viohlet
This was dumb dumb dumb. It sounded much better than it turned out to be; it ended up being convoluted and irritating.

All the characters were idiots. The women especially. The heroine, Christiana was such a moron. She flitted about from thought to thought. She was a complete and total airhead, and at the end I couldn't help thinking she needed to mind her own business!

Next sister down, and the heroine of the sequel - Suzette! Suzette is a fuckwit. She's contrary enough not to marry a guy she lov...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Christianna got a bum-deal when she married Dicky. He made promises of love and devotion, but on the day they got married, he dropped his facade of a white knight. And in the year since, he has been unloving and cruel. He insults her at every turn; has cut her off from society and those she loves. And there is nothing she can do about it. Until fortune smiles on Chrissy and Dickie drops dead.

It seems Chrissy's father has some gambling debts he can't pay off. So she and her sisters Lisa and Suze...more
Sandy M
Oh, my heavens, what a wonderful time I had with this book! Lynsay Sands, of course, is a fave of mine, love her historical romance novels with a passion. This book is all you expect from her and then some. That then some is the humor. Though the story is full of mystery and misery, the wittiness, fun, and romance interspersed throughout makes this book one of the best of the year. It’s only February, but I know that already.

We learn right off that Christiana is in a bad marriage, one full of ve...more
Jess
I didn't realize that Sands had another historical romance until I happened across this one at BN the other day. I had to give it a try since I really liked her Scottish highlander series. This one was a regency novel which I can be picky about, so I was surprised by how much I liked it. What was great about this one was that not only did it have that great romance I was looking for but it also had a little mystery to go along with it.

Christiana is the main character, and the book starts off wit...more
-k The Lady Critic
Meh, this book just didn’t do it for me. I love Lynsay Sands’ Argeneau series and it seemed as though this book was lacking what they all seem to have – and I’m not talking about the vampires.

I think that it was because everything was incredibly rushed. Now, I’m not sure if that was because scenes were missing from my copy – Goodreads states that the book was over 300 pages and my copy was just a little over 200 – or what, but it was all ‘boom, boom, boom, ending’ with this one. It was like you...more
Book Review Diva
"The Countess" By Lynsay Sands

Christiana Madison thought the man she married was her prince charming, and that she would spend the rest of her life with him. Instead she married a man who berates her constantly, robbing her of her self confidence. One afternoon, her sisters arrive unexpectedly and start questioning Christina as to why they have not seen her in over a year, letters have gone unanswered. The questioning starts Christina questioning her marriage to Dicky, and why he has never given...more
Donna
When I read this book I found myself smiling a number of times. The problems encountered when you try to hide a dead body ! This is a fun easy romance to read.

The fairy tale courtship did not turn into a happily-ever-after . . .

Amanda
The Countess had everything that I have come to expect and love in a Lynsay Sands historical romance. The plots are always a little zany, parts that are laugh out loud worthy, and some serious passion.

I am always ecstatic when I read a historical romance without the massive over-blown misunderstanding. It is a major pet-peeve when the insane misunderstandings take over, and any semblance of plot is left behind. Now, I don't mind some drama, or even misunderstanding/miscommunication. I just hate...more
Christine
What fun! I almost wanted to make a new category of books to put this in -- SENSATION NOVEL! It's intentionally over the top, and an absolute pleasure to read.

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies...

The most considerate thing Christiana's husband, Dickie, does in a year of marriage is to suddenly drop dead, leaving her a widow. The timing is a bit off, though, because Christiana's sister is in desperate need of getting married, and they simply can't go into mourning until they...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://www.longandshortreviews.blogsp...

If a reader is searching for a madcap comedic romance with more twists and turns than a pretzel, they can’t go wrong with this delightful and entertaining romp by Ms. Sands. The Countess kept me guessing and smiling all the way through.

The main crux of the story is two-fold. How can a woman overcome the degradation of her first husband’s cruelty and trust a man who looks just like him? How can a man overcome his need for revenge and l...more
Sho
3.5 stars.
I was able to enjoy and have a lot of fun, since I like her vampire novels and find them sometimes LOL funny.

Having said that I have to say the people in this book don't act nor speak like people of the regency era. I am one of those people who much doesn't care about the writing,historical accuracy or other details that seem to bother some people to the point they can't read a particular book. And English is something I use only on the net and not regularly so oddity in the language u...more
Kat at Book Thingo
So okay, it’s Weekend at Bernie’s historical romance-style. But when I got to the scene where Christiana and Richard do the hot and heavy next to the corpse (possibly partly on top of it), I squealed and not in a good way.

Listen, you can pack a corpse in ice as much as you like but unless it’s in a freaking freezer, there’s no way this scene could have been anything but gross. And smelly.

The story never recovers. The conclusion is underwhelming. Meanwhile, in the sequel, one of her sisters is ap...more
Linda
Christiana is trapped in a loveless marriage where her husband is tormenting her non stop, so when he drops dead she doesn´t hesitate to pretend he´s still alive. She needs to not go into mourning for just another day or two to accompany her sisters to the ball where they´ll be able to find a husband who can save their father from ruin.
What they didn´t know was that her horrible husband was the evil twin and now the real Earl appears. Love Lynsay Sand´s sisters and i need to continue with the se...more
Sobia
Like most of her historicals , this was another cute and fun read....the only downsides are an easy to figure out villain and a minor irritation with the heroine of the next book in the series ( though I am looking forward the the last book in the trilogy). I generally like her medievals a bit more, so maybe the fact that this was a regency biased me, but IMO this wasn't her best. By no means bad, just not as awesome as I was hoping for.
Abby
I finished this book a week ago and have been sitting on my review. I just can't seem to put my finger on WHY I finished this book. It had everything that I absolutely loathe in a story ... and yet I still finished it. The DNF Queen. Something somewhere must have tickled my brain enough to keep reading, but for the life of me I can't figure out exactly what it was.

At least I have no problem listing the things that drove me bonkers:

-Crazy info dump at the beginning. And yet! It also felt like I...more
May
This book was recommended to me as a super light and funny historical romance, and I believe it was just that. The book begins as the super evil husband is found dead... And it has kind of a weekend @ Bernie's element to it as the body is moved around and more people get involved.

While entertaining, the author was rather heavy handed at times (repeating info, etc) and the plot was thin.
Keri
This was a funny and sweet light romance. At times at the beginning of the book, it had a 3 Stooges feel about it as we played hide the body. I liked Richard and Christiana as a couple and thought that they worked well together.
Rizky
"Ketika suami yang kamu nikahi bukan seperti yang kamu bayangkan, ketika angan tak seindah khayalan? Pria yang kamu nikahi berubah menjadi sosok layaknya "monster" dalam kehidupanmu, dan membatasi kehidupanmu, apa yang harus kamu lakukan?"

Inilah buku pertama dari seri "Madison Sisters", yang menceritakan tentang kehidupan pernikahan Christiana dengan suaminya, Dicky Fairgrave. Ternyata selama ini pernikahannya tidak berjalan seperti yang dia inginkan, suaminya yang dulu dikenalnya sebagai pria t...more
  • After Dark with a Scoundrel (Lords of Vice, #3)
  • The Naked Viscount (Naked Nobility, #5)
  • Scandal in Scotland (Hurst Amulet, #2)
  • Scandal of the Year (Abandoned at the Altar, #2)
  • The Forbidden Lord (Lord Trilogy, #2)
  • Along Came a Duke (Rhymes With Love, #1)
  • The Bride Wore Scarlet (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #2)
  • A Rake's Guide To Pleasure (Huntington, #2)
  • Never Trust a Rogue (Heiress in London, #2)
  • How to Seduce a Scoundrel (How To Series #2)
  • My Lord Scandal (Notorious Bachelors, #1)
  • Sinful in Satin (The Rarest Blooms #3)
  • The Revenge of Lord Eberlin (The Secrets of Hadley Green, #2)
  • If He's Dangerous (Wherlocke #4)
  • Dukes to the Left of Me, Princes to the Right (Impossible Bachelors, #2)
  • Wicked Nights With a Lover (The Penwich School for Virtuous Girls #3)
  • Once Upon a Scandal (Scandal, #2)
  • Seduced by a Pirate (Fairy Tales, #4.5)
LYNSAY SANDS is the nationally bestselling author who is known for her hysterical historicals as well as the popular Argeneau/Rogue Hunter vampire series. With her witty and charming personality, Sands describes books as, “Waking dreams or stories, tales to amuse, entertain and distract us from everyday life.” She’s been writing stories since grade school and considers herself incredibly lucky to...more
More about Lynsay Sands...
A Quick Bite (Argeneau #1) Bite Me If You Can (Argeneau #6) A Bite to Remember (Argeneau #5) Single White Vampire (Argeneau #3) Vampire, Interrupted (Argeneau #9)