Start by marking “Scorpions for Breakfast: My Battle with Washington to Secure Our Country's Border” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Scorpions for Breakfas...

Jan Brewer

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  100 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
In Scorpions for Breakfast, Jan Brewer, America’s toughest governor and one of the most popular conservative political figures in the nation today, proudly defends her embattled state of Arizona and challenges President Obama to do his job and keep our border safe. Unfairly tarred by liberal critics as a state comprised of racist rednecks, Arizona is on the front lines in ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Broadside e-books

To ask other readers questions about Scorpions for Breakfast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scorpions for Breakfast

Jesse Schexnayder
Jan Brewer's distinctly American/Arizonian refutation of the progressive bullcrap oozing out of DC. Well written and concise. Have you read this book, or better yet, have you read the bill??
Eileen
Just started this - the picture in the news intriqued me as to what she said that he did not like. On page 15 and I can already see why.
Craig
Nov 16, 2011 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
A brief biographical sketch of a remarkable woman determined to do the right thing(s) although they are hard to do. Brewer recounts her early life growing up in a single parent home (her father died shen she was young from poisons/toxins he had inhaled while working in a Nevada defense plant during WWII). Her mother worked long hours to support her children and instilled in Jan the ethic to work hard and do what is right. Brewer later married, then decided to enter politics. She worked in the st ...more
Andrew Chappell
I enjoyed reading this book. It made me better understand the debate on immigration and the background behind SB1070. One thing I thought was odd was that she did not cite sources for any of her statistics.
E. Kahn
Oct 30, 2014 E. Kahn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Subtitled "My Fight Against Special Interests, Liberal Media, and Cynical Politicos to Secure America's Border," or "My Fight" for short.

That joke works better in German.
Diane
May 01, 2012 Diane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

This was a quick read because I like Jan Brewer's style of writing. She has a bit of a "don't mess with Texas" type attitude. I admire her for standing up for her beliefs and listening to the people of her state of Arizona. It's unfortunate that nearly everything has to be political. You can't do something just to do your best or because it's right. You must have a motive. And how difficult it must be to find yourself in the spotlight of brutally mean insults; people out to ruin you and your re
Reese Copeland
Mar 07, 2012 Reese Copeland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. You get a real sense of how much Governor Brewer tried to make this a good bill, while assuring others that it was both necessary, and fair. Well documented the failures of the Obama Administration, as well as the pathetic arguments of the Left and their constant playing of the race card, and are the first ones to make the comparison to Hitler for anyone that doesn't agree with them. Good read.
Ron Zachgo
Jan 02, 2012 Ron Zachgo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jan Brewer tells of the problems Arizona is facing with “illegal immigration” and the lack of border security. Whatever your political views are she makes a good argument for addressing this problem. It has been ignored for too long and I cannot imagine finding signs posted by the federal government telling me to stay away from certain areas of my state.
Suep
Mar 02, 2012 Suep rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm amazed at the lack of follow through by our elected officials AND how once they go to the White House they don't return calls, letters, emails! Illegal is illegal. There's a bill in CO now wanting to allow drivers licenses to illegal immigrants to MAKE MONEY and to increase drivers with insurance. Whatever!
Laura Obrenovich
Jan 24, 2016 Laura Obrenovich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: az, history
Being an Arizonian, I wanted to read this far after the fact. Very, very interesting. In hindsight, we really needed SB 1070. We really did! Things aren't great, but much better. Not sure if it was more recession related, however. Time will tell, but I, for one, believe in legal immigration!
Krista
Nov 12, 2012 Krista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly eye-opening. I can't imagine why people are willing to put human life and safety at risk to score political points. We have to solve our illegal immigration problem now, both for current US citizens and for future US citizens.
Rebecca
Feb 24, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really an interesting read. All fellow Arizonians should read this one. Now I am mad though! How can the federal governement not think there is a border problem that needs to be fixed??
Paul
Apr 04, 2012 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I don't like her, her politics, or her friends, the bottom line is: After the Feds deny you the help that you and your predecessor have been asking for, what do you do?
Rosemary Yakubowski
Wonderfully written book!!! If you every had any questions about the Senate Bill 1070, this book will answer them for you!! I highly recommend this book!!!!
Margaret
Oct 27, 2012 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's too bad that neither Obama nor Romney bothered to read Arizona's Law 1070 or they would not be critical of a good law that is not racist.
Marcy
Apr 23, 2012 Marcy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GO Jan Brewer!! If more politicions were like you America would be in a much better place!!
Shannon
Feb 19, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
People need to read this book and not the mainstream news articles/opinions!
Rick
Apr 15, 2012 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karen
Made me want to friend of Governor!
Kathleen Ross-richter
Great book. Real eye opener!
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Julie Daly
Julie Daly is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2016
Donald Forster
Donald Forster marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
Penney Prickett
Penney Prickett rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
John Paradiso
John Paradiso rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2016
Skyelark
Skyelark rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016