Start by marking “I'm Awesome: One Man's Triumphant Quest to Become the Sweetest Dude Ever” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
I'm Awesome: One Man's...

Jason Ellis

I'm Awesome: One Man's Triumphant Quest to Become the Sweetest Dude Ever

X Games skateboarder, pro mixed martial arts fighter, and outspoken SiriusXM satellite radio host Jason Ellis shares his jaw-dropping and inspirational life story, from the depths of addiction to the glory of victory to the joys and ordeals of fatherhood. Fans of The Jason Ellis Show and the MMA-meets-music festival "Ellismania" know Ellis as a fearless daredevil—and as th ...more
Published April 17th 2012 by It Books

To ask other readers questions about I'm Awesome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Awesome

James Enloe
To be honest, I was hoping for more.

Not that Ellis holds anything back, he lays his drug and alcohol addled past right out there in gory details, but falls short in his post-addiction life. One chapter he's hooked then he's just clean; no mention of how or how difficult it was or wasn't. The narrative feels like a drunk telling a story: it randomly wanders from place to place with no reference of when the stories take place. One moment he is in 2004 then he jumps back to 2000, at least as far a
JP
Jan 20, 2017 JP rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because I like Jason Ellis from Siruis and Skateboarding I really liked this book.

Very funny.

However if you do not like any of this - it may not be the book for you.

If you do like his show, his past, I think this may be your speed.
Ash Burden
Feb 28, 2017 Ash Burden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was definitely what I expected from Ellis! Rambling, funny, and just shows he is crazier than he think's he is.
Mark Ruzomberka
Apr 27, 2012 Mark Ruzomberka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honest. That is the best way to describe not only this book but Jason Ellis. In the age where "everyone gets a trophy" Jason Ellis stands out because he is honest. He is honest to himself, and that honesty carries over to his radio show, and his book. Because he is willing to admit that he screws up, he can tell others when they are screwing up and not come off like a hypocrite. Ellis is just like you and me, he gets happy, sad, scared, upset, confused, lazy, and he talks about such a wide range ...more
Marjorie
Sep 06, 2014 Marjorie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The primary reason I read this book was because a neighbor informed me "it is the only book I've ever read cover to cover" and then lent it to me. I had no idea who Jason Ellis is (and still really don't, ha!), but I was very curious what kind of book someone who never reads, reads!

So, I've been contemplating rating the book from two different perspectives- one from my typical perspective (mine!), but the other from the perspective of maybe someone more like my neighbor, the kind of person who
Brandon
May 20, 2013 Brandon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came into this book with certain expectations. I was hoping this book would be much more about the hard work and ups and downs of working towards one's dreams. Given the title "I'm Awesome: One Man's Triumphant Quest to Become the Sweetest Dude Ever" I don't think that was a far gone conclusion.

What is however is a very entertaining autobiography full of stories of drug use, competition, and rising from the ashes. I give it 4 stars because it was compelling and I read it in one sitting. That's
Heather
Aug 27, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Sirius/XM radio channel Faction where Jason Ellis has a show. When I saw his bio at the library I picked it up.

Jason's on air bud helped him to write the book so you can really get to hear it in his voice as there probably wasn't too many changes made in the edit. The grammar isn't the greatest but I enjoyed hearing stories of Jason growing up in Australia and the drama with his family. Jason's life is filled with a lot of tales of sex, drugs and excess. There isn't much complex
Cynthia
Aug 09, 2012 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't the kind of book I normally read. It caught my eye on the "New" book shelf at the library, and I was intrigued by the bad boy changes into good guy summary on the jacket. I was immediately pulled into the story of Jason's life. I connected with his childhood issues and life/relationship struggles. He does a good job of explaining human (male) behavior that I didn't understand until I read his perspective on it. It is a very inspiring story, reinforcing my belief that no matter where y ...more
Brittany
While this is a book about Jason's life it has a very different view to how he is now. If you listen to the radio show now you know that a lot has changed since this book was written. While it doesn't show his current views on his past it is interesting to see the evolution of where he was when he wrote this book and to where he is today and how things have changed so much in such a short amount of time.
Mark
Jan 18, 2016 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a HUGE Ellis fan. This bio was pretty much what you'd expect from Ellis. Entertaining, funny, sad, and honest. There's skateboarding glory, personal struggle, and the beginning of maturity. The bio ends just as his radio career is beginning to take off and before his divorce. I can't wait to read the follow up- especially now that he's found his voice. Red Dragons!
Noel Anderson
Mar 14, 2013 Noel Anderson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolute garbage if you want to hear how someone came to their fame this is not the book, all he talks about is banging hookers, and doing every drug you can think of. I was a big fan but not so much anymore the guy is a loser. The book is pointless do not read especially if you are a fan because you won't be when you are done.
Matt DiSilvio
Jan 04, 2015 Matt DiSilvio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will definitely not be for everyone. I love the Jason Ellis Show on Sirius XM so this was a must read for me. It was interesting to see more of Jason Ellis' life beyond just the funny dude on the radio. If you listen to/enjoy his show, definitely give this book a shot.
Ryan Thomas Smith
It pains me to give my fellow Wolfknives only two stars, but Mr Ellis and Mr. Tully's respective talents lay within different mediums. "I'm Awesome" is entertaining enough, but as a work of literature it is on the lower end of adequate.
Rob Laux
I was hoping for more. I'm a fan of Ellis but I feel like I have heard more in depth versions of half of these stories listening to his radio show. The writing wasn't all that great and j felt like I was reading a slightly better Tucker Max book.
William Siracuse
Was pretty much what I expected, a look into the life of the guy whom entertains me on my rides to/from work. Just wished he had delved into the bits closer to current times in his life....been only listening to him for 6months or so.
Angela Koomen
Aug 01, 2015 Angela Koomen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Really amazing the things he went through and overcame them on his own, through sheer will, really good read, recommended
Jill
May 20, 2013 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Ellismate! This gave interesting insight into a unique life.
Joe
Mar 31, 2013 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and easy to read. Not exactly a literary masterpiece, but it IS a biography of a pro skateboarder-turned-radio jockey. Makes for good "light reading".
Suzanne

I wish he had gone into how he paid for his health care in the States with all his STD's.
Michelle
Apr 22, 2014 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Only book ever that I refused to finish. I have no respect for this guy... there wasn't much to begin with, anyway.
Elle McFierce
May 29, 2012 Elle McFierce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We all have a story. His is a roller coaster.
Chris
Mar 26, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I haven't listened in awhile, Ellismate's radio show is definitely one of my favorite guilty pleasures. This book does not disappoint. Red Dragons!
Frankie611
Heard his interview on Stern which was very dynamic. So I did expect a lot more punch from the book. It was ok but not as raw as the interview lead me to believe
Tyler MacLean
Jan 20, 2017 Tyler MacLean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like Ellis on the radio, you'll like his book too :)
Dan Towner
Easy read, not much substance, not well written to sy the least. The shoddy writing may be the reason this book is so enjoyable though.
mike
mike rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Matthew C
Matthew C rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2012
Nicholasdicola
Nicholasdicola rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2015
Anthony
Anthony rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2015
  • This Music Leaves Stains: The Complete Story of the Misfits
  • Don Cherry's Hockey Stories, Part 2
  • The Day I (Almost) Killed Two Gretzkys: And Other Off The Wall Stories About Sports...And Life
  • Made in America
  • Shut Up and Give Me the Mic
  • The Paths We Choose: A Memoir
  • Dynomite!: Good Times, Bad Times, Our Times--A Memoir
5819095
There is more than one author with this name

Jason Ellis is an Australian professional skateboarder, mixed martial artist, radio host, and actor. Ellis hosts The Jason Ellis Show weekdays on Sirius XM Radio channel Faction (Sirius). Ellis was also the founding member and vocalist for the Comedy Rock/Metal band Taintstick, and released their only album Six Pounds of Sound, on Suburban Noize Records.
More about Jason Ellis...