Start by marking “Deliriously Happy: and Other Bad Thoughts” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Deliriously Happy: and...

Larry Doyle

Deliriously Happy: and Other Bad Thoughts

Do you like dogs? Babies? Baby dogs? Have you ever eaten ice cream or had love troubles? Wish there were dirty parts in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then this is the book for you.

It’s all here: This impressively consecutive collection of funny writing by Larry Doyle, the winner of the 2008 Thurber Prize for American Humo
Published November 8th 2011 by Ecco

To ask other readers questions about Deliriously Happy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deliriously Happy

Jackie
There are 54 comic essays in this book (57 if you include the hilarious "Acknowledgements", "Addendum to the Acknowledgements" and "About the Author", and really should) that range from the looney to the crass to the incredible, all extremely creative and most of the type to make you laugh out loud. This would be a great bus read (if you don't mind guffawing in public), or a even better bathroom read (Larry would approve that use, I'm absolutely certain, as long as you've purchased it first of c ...more
Jess
Nov 21, 2011 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**It should be noted that I received this book as a First Read giveaway**

Based on my previous reading of "I Love You Beth Cooper", which I was not a huge fan of, My hopes weren't very high for this nook. However, Doyle delivers a series of clever, witty, and often hilarious tales. The stories jump all over the map, written from several points of view and with several tones, from cutting edge to overdone. There is one thing that I feel would help the collection dramatically is the addition of a s
Laura Martinelli
Sep 23, 2011 Laura Martinelli rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, arc, dnf
This has to be my first real “Did Not Finish” in my Library project— I got this in the ARC pile at work a few months ago, thinking that I’d get to it eventually. I’ve read Larry Doyle’s other books—I Love You, Beth Cooper was okay, it was enjoyable on some level and I couldn’t get into Go Mutants!

To quote the cover copy, this is a collection of short pieces “for fans who just want the satire, wit, merciless humor.” Which I’m assuming means anyone whose sense of humor has never expanded beyond f
Kiya
Nov 22, 2012 Kiya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*I received this book as a First Reads giveaway.*

When I received Larry Doyle's "Deliriously Happy: and Other Bad Thoughts" in the mail, I didn't know what to expect. I knew it was a humor collection, but humor varies on the individual perceiving it. I, for one, did not find the collection laugh-out-loud funny. I recall little spurts of laughter coming to me while reading this book, but nothing too insane. I suppose if one is into the whole over-the-top, skit-like parodies, one would find this bo
John
May 14, 2014 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short, comic pieces from the author of I Love You Beth Cooper and Go Mutants, Larry Doyle. This was my least favorite of the three. Perhaps the pieces would read better in a different context, say as stand-alone pieces in a magazine, but for me, presented in collection form, they just sort of ran together -- which made for a less than enjoyable read. More to the point, however, I just didn't find them all that funny.
Kate
Apr 29, 2012 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this in a first reads giveaway. I wasn't sure how I would react to a humor book, but I was excited to give it a try. I tarted out liking it, but that didn't last too long. It was written well, and was creative, but I just didn't get the humor, which is not necessarily to say it wasn't funny. Some pieces I enjoyed and thought were comical, but I guess I just don't have the same idea of humor.
Karen
Jul 30, 2012 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, humor
The back cover of this made me smile, with its reference to "baby dogs", so I checked it out of the library. Most of the essays inside did not make me smile, much less laugh, though I did enjoy the two which featured a dog as the main character. This collection just wasn't a good fit for my sense of humor.
Jessica
I won this book as a first reads giveaway. This is a collection of short humor writing, gathered from over the years. It has short entries about haphazard ideas, like "how to communicate with your dog". Each entry is pretty quick which makes it even more fast-paced... an entertaining book :)
Mark Hammond

I enjoyed the variety of short pieces by this smart and funny writer. Larry Doyle has written for Beavis and Butt-head, the Simpsons,the I Love You, Beth Cooper screenplay. It ranges from fun absurdity to the awkward discomfort/mundane horror of post-modern comedy.
Jo
Jan 01, 2012 Jo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh! I received this book in a goodreads giveaway and it is hard to find anything good to say about it.
Ajay
Jul 15, 2012 Ajay rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished, humour
Intermittently it's pretty funny, but taken as a whole, a third of the book rough I decided its time to stop. With so much to read, I couldn't see a point in continuing with this.
Dr. Detroit
Dr. Detroit rated it did not like it
Mar 09, 2012
Martha
Martha rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it did not like it
Jul 24, 2014
Chris Lyons McKinley
Chris Lyons McKinley rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Cfboone
Cfboone rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2011
Gilanthonytudtud
Gilanthonytudtud rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2012
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it did not like it
Jul 06, 2012
Danielle
Feb 04, 2012 Danielle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
had to give up on this one...
Steve Bucci
Steve Bucci rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2014
Alyssa
Reminds me a little of Dave Barry but not as funny.
Adam
Adam rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2013
Zana
Zana rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Cali Fortin
Cali Fortin rated it it was ok
Apr 19, 2012
Keith Giglio
Keith Giglio rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Todd
Todd rated it did not like it
Aug 02, 2016
Lisabeth Willens
Lisabeth Willens rated it did not like it
Aug 11, 2015
Veronica
Veronica rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2014
Austin Mickel
Austin Mickel rated it it was ok
Oct 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Enough Rope
  • Flight Of The Eagles (Seven Sleepers, #1)
  • The Fran Lebowitz Reader
  • Worse Than Myself
  • Pot Psychology's How to Be: Lowbrow Advice from High People
  • How to Dance as the Roof Caves In: Poems
  • The Spy Who Jumped Off the Screen
  • Word Hero: A Fiendishly Clever Guide to Crafting the Lines that Get Laughs, Go Viral, and Live Forever
  • The Thyroid Connection: Why You Feel Tired, Brain-Fogged, and Overweight - and How to Get Your Life Back
  • Blood Persuasion (Immortal Jane Austen, #2)
Larry Doyle's first novel, I Love You, Beth Cooper, won the 2008 Thurber Prize for American Humor.

His second novel, Go, Mutants!, was named one of the best novels of 2010 by the Washington Post.

Deliriously Happy, a 2011 collection of humor pieces from the New Yorker and elsewhere, didn't win any awards but some people liked it.

Larry Doyle was a writer and producer of The Simpsons for four year
More about Larry Doyle...