Start by marking “Holman Bible Atlas: A Complete Guide to the Expansive Geography of Biblical History” as Want to Read:

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The Holman Bible Atlas offers a visual feast through which the reader can explore the world of the Bible. Utilizing 140 full color maps key to biblical events and 140 full color photographs illustrating the land, sites, and archaeology of the biblical world, the Atlas draws the reader into the biblical story. The Holman Bible Atlas begins with an introduction to the geogra ...more
Published January 1st 1999 by Holman Reference

To ask other readers questions about Holman Bible Atlas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holman Bible Atlas

Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary by Merriam-WebsterThe Oxford English Dictionary by J.A. SimpsonThe Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr.Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne TrussOxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary by Albert Sydney Hornby
Dictionaries
172nd out of 237 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Brett Mclaughlin
This was a surprisingly enjoyable book to read. Yes, it has lots of wonderful colorful pictures. And yes, there's a wonderful ratio of graphics to words. But more importantly, I think tying the geographical movements to actual description of those things is fantastic. There's nothing more helpful, learning-wise, than putting pictures next to words.

This book takes you through the earliest days of history, tracing the movement of man's ancestors through Noah to Abraham, and then in detail through
Adam
May 27, 2008 Adam rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: readers of the Bible
Shelves: textbooks, reference
"To understand the Bible today we must hear its words in light of the ancient setting. [...] The goal [of this book] has been to provide the geographical and historical data necessary to comprehend the Bible's unfolding story."

Don't let the title fool you: Thomas Brisco's Holman Bible Atlas is much more than a collection of maps. It is also a concise, layman-friendly survey of biblical history and the cultures that were part of it. Whether you want to know where Illyricum was (east of Italy acro
Dan Lloyd
Jason Leonard
Outstanding. Simply outstanding.

In the dozens of times I've gone over the grand story of the Bible, I've never traced the story through the lens of cultural shifts and the transient nature of Palestine and the surrounding area. It made for refreshing, eye-opening and encouraging reading. Not to mention that the Bible has become much more interesting now that I have some idea of where all the places are and who all the people are as I come across their name.

It was perhaps most insightful during
Lisa
We've used this book to accompany Tapestry of Grace, Year 1. I find myself pulling it out to prepare for Bible study, too. It's very informative and filled with wonderful maps that bring Bible history to life.

We didn't read the whole book, but are finished with it for the year. I found it very useful for tying together ancient cultures with Biblical history.
Jason Weaver
I'm reading this book as I read through the Bible and it REALLY helps put things into perspective as you read. I highly recommend this if used in the same way. I've read it before and, though slightly interesting on it's own, found it incredibly boring. Thus, the 2 stars for it as a book. I'd give it 4 stars this time around though.
Tammy Taylor
great book if you want to understand Biblical History.
Amy Mullins
Amy Mullins marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Koreen
Koreen added it
Feb 04, 2015
Lydia Parker
Lydia Parker marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Vanessa D. English
Vanessa D. English marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
A Bailey
A Bailey marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014