Start by marking “Holman Bible Atlas: A Complete Guide to the Expansive Geography of Biblical History” as Want to Read:

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  102 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The Holman Bible Atlas offers a visual feast through which the reader can explore the world of the Bible. Utilizing 140 full color maps key to biblical events and 140 full color photographs illustrating the land, sites, and archaeology of the biblical world, the Atlas draws the reader into the biblical story.The Holman Bible Atlas begins with an introduction to the geograp ...more
Published January 1st 1999 by Holman Reference

To ask other readers questions about Holman Bible Atlas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holman Bible Atlas

Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary by Merriam-WebsterThe Oxford English Dictionary by J.A. SimpsonEats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne TrussThe Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr.Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary by A.S. Hornby
Dictionaries
172nd out of 237 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

Brett Mclaughlin
Nov 17, 2009 Brett Mclaughlin rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, geography
This was a surprisingly enjoyable book to read. Yes, it has lots of wonderful colorful pictures. And yes, there's a wonderful ratio of graphics to words. But more importantly, I think tying the geographical movements to actual description of those things is fantastic. There's nothing more helpful, learning-wise, than putting pictures next to words.

This book takes you through the earliest days of history, tracing the movement of man's ancestors through Noah to Abraham, and then in detail through
Adam
May 27, 2008 Adam rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: readers of the Bible
Shelves: textbooks, reference
"To understand the Bible today we must hear its words in light of the ancient setting. [...] The goal [of this book] has been to provide the geographical and historical data necessary to comprehend the Bible's unfolding story."

Don't let the title fool you: Thomas Brisco's Holman Bible Atlas is much more than a collection of maps. It is also a concise, layman-friendly survey of biblical history and the cultures that were part of it. Whether you want to know where Illyricum was (east of Italy acro
Dan Lloyd
Sep 15, 2009 Dan Lloyd rated it really liked it
Jason Leonard
Nov 18, 2012 Jason Leonard rated it it was amazing
Outstanding. Simply outstanding.

In the dozens of times I've gone over the grand story of the Bible, I've never traced the story through the lens of cultural shifts and the transient nature of Palestine and the surrounding area. It made for refreshing, eye-opening and encouraging reading. Not to mention that the Bible has become much more interesting now that I have some idea of where all the places are and who all the people are as I come across their name.

It was perhaps most insightful during
Lisa
Apr 30, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it
We've used this book to accompany Tapestry of Grace, Year 1. I find myself pulling it out to prepare for Bible study, too. It's very informative and filled with wonderful maps that bring Bible history to life.

We didn't read the whole book, but are finished with it for the year. I found it very useful for tying together ancient cultures with Biblical history.
Jason Weaver
Oct 27, 2012 Jason Weaver rated it it was ok
I'm reading this book as I read through the Bible and it REALLY helps put things into perspective as you read. I highly recommend this if used in the same way. I've read it before and, though slightly interesting on it's own, found it incredibly boring. Thus, the 2 stars for it as a book. I'd give it 4 stars this time around though.
Tammy Taylor
Jan 15, 2009 Tammy Taylor rated it it was amazing
great book if you want to understand Biblical History.
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
Kamau Graham
Kamau Graham marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Christian book rater
Christian book rater marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Katherine Johnston
Katherine Johnston rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
Joleen Langley
Joleen Langley rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
carol strawcutter
carol strawcutter rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
April Vaughan
April Vaughan marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Gaby Mallo
Gaby Mallo marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Tammie Johnson
Tammie Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Michelle Cokee
Michelle Cokee marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Cheryl Shireman
Cheryl Shireman rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Robert St cyr
Robert St cyr marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Jenni Farrell
Jenni Farrell marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Carrie Niemi
Carrie Niemi marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Sunny Shell
Sunny Shell rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Victoria Creer
Victoria Creer marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • New Bible Commentary
  • Kingdom Prologue: Genesis Foundations for a Covenantal Worldview
  • New Bible Dictionary
  • Grasping God's Word: A Hands-On Approach to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the Bible
  • The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah
  • The Book of Proverbs, Chapters 1-15
  • Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words: With Topical Index
  • The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament