Start by marking “The Lying Game” as Want to Read:
The Lying Game

The Lying Game (The Lying Game #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  32,311 Ratings  ·  2,533 Reviews
I had a life anyone would kill for.

Then someone did.

The worst part of being dead is that there’s
nothing left to live for. No more kisses. No
more secrets. No more gossip. It’s enough
to kill a girl all over again. But I’m about to
get something no one else does—an encore
performance, thanks to Emma, the long-lost
twin sister I never even got to meet.

Now Emma’s desperate to know
Audio
Published December 7th 2010 by HarperTeen (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Lying Game, please sign up.

Vikky Akintunde The show was not that bad, only downside is that it got canceled, and there were ALOT of unanswered questions because of it. Therefore I will read the…moreThe show was not that bad, only downside is that it got canceled, and there were ALOT of unanswered questions because of it. Therefore I will read the books, EVENTHO. I know they're way different (less)
Piper If you like pretty little liars books or the TV show, you would like this book. They are both similar. But I wouldn't say that this book is a chick…moreIf you like pretty little liars books or the TV show, you would like this book. They are both similar. But I wouldn't say that this book is a chick flick. It does seem like girlie book but its also a murder mystery. There's nothing gory and it doesn't have a lot of romance. I really enjoyed this book, I have also read the rest of the series. I had to know how it ended, these books are what really got me into reading. (less)

Maija

Lets start with what I didn't like, shall we:

* crazy teenage girls who pull evil pranks on everyone
*apparently stupid parents and police that do nothing about it

description

* the idea that if you are popular, you don't have to do homeworks, teachers really hate you + your friends may too
* Madeline wasn't all that mad about her brother running away, even though she knows that Sutton is to fault
* you're waiting until you turn 18 and only then decide to have sex? Garrett wanted to have sex with Sutton, so she
Beth
I had high hopes for this one. I was in the mood for a fun guilty pleasure, a kind of Veronica Mars meets Gossip Girl. Being a twin myself, though not an identical one, I love a good twin-switch mystery. I was prepared to accept a little stupidity, a few plot holes, for the sake of a fun soap opera.

But The Lying Game disappointed me even by my fairly low standards. It just felt so...cheap. All the characters were flat clichés - not in itself a bad thing - sure we've all seen the dumb jock or the
Trameka
Jul 10, 2011 Trameka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages 13-16
Ok, let me start by saying that I'm 21 years old and I started reading this series because I love the show Pretty Little Liars.

Cover: The cover is cute with the black background and the accents of pink. However, the images of the girls are quite juvenile, which should have been a hint that the book was most likely made for a younger age group.

Characters: I felt that the characters were introduced oddly. Names were just thrown around without any indication of who they were. I have a hard time kee
Mandy
I was absolutely addicted to the television show Pretty Little Liars this past summer. So,when I heard the author of the book series the show was based on had a new YA series in the works, I quickly added the new title to my “must read list.” The Lying Game does not disappoint. It is filled with just the right amount of suspense, teen angst, and awesome clothes* that teens are sure to love. Sara Sheperd’s latest series follows down on her luck Emma. Emma’s life in her foster home is unbearable. ...more
Cory
Nov 28, 2010 Cory rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

I don't normally read this type of book, but since I received it through a Goodreads giveaway I figured I might as well give it a try. That was a mistake.

This book is like Gossip Girls meets a very bad Law and Order spin off. I don't even want to read the sequel. And I read three of those horrible Blue Bloods books.

I had high hopes for this. But I should have done my research on the author first. Apparently she wrote Pretty Little Liars, which sounds like one of the dumbest things to ever hit
-k The Lady Critic
Even if this is only half as good as the Pretty Little Liars books were, it’s going to be amazing. I can’t wait to read this when it comes out!
Melanie
Feb 09, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I'm embarrassed. I actually liked this book, and I only picked it up at the library as a practical joke on myself. Joke's on me, it seems. Is this book fine literature? No. Is it a classic in it's genre? Uh, no. Is it a fun, light hearted thriller that's actually a pretty good beach book if a reader can appreciate the parameters of the story? Yeah. Are YA books whittling away my brain cells? Yeah, probably.
JungBook
Jun 21, 2016 JungBook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
It was terrific! I first read it in 2015, and thought it was alright, but re-read it in January and loved it!
Kristy
This was my sort of last chance, shot in the dark with Sara Shepard. I could not get into "Pretty Little Liars" at all and it ended up being a Can't finish book. So, I wasn't expecting much with this one... but something kept nagging at me to try it out.
Shockingly, it has been a stepping stone for walking me out of my reading slump this summer. I read it in less than 1 day. I haven't gotten into a book in a while, so this was a huge deal to me.
Is this book mind-blowingly good? No, but it was fun
Olivia
Mar 01, 2011 Olivia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW! I liked it a lot! The characters were great and there was A LOT of funny parts. There are a few spoilers through-out, so be careful when reading this :)

The beginning was a little slow for me. I didn't get that interested until she went to meet Sutton and Sutton's friends kidnapped her to that party. I was suspicious of Laurel from the beginning. I wasn't too sure about Ethan, but I was almost positive he had nothing to do with what happened to Sutton. I liked the parts when Sutton voiced he
Mizuki
3. 5 stars.

The writing is effective and the story develops with a fine, steady speed, but after a while I grew tired of all the characters backstabbing each other and hiding something behind their backs...okay at first such dramas are interesting but after a while...it doesn't work so well anymore. Still, I will most likely read the next book.

PS: the murdered victim is a total and venomous bitch whom I won't walk anywhere near to. I don't want this kind of person in my life and I am not surprise
The Empire of Books
Ich brauche Band zwei! sofort! xD
Waukesha
Aug 21, 2016 Waukesha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I actually finished this book on July 28 but I never updated bc I was hoping it would get better. It wasn't a huge book but there was not enough mystery to the mystery. I like PLL so I was hoping this would be great. I was disappointed
Jianne
Oct 02, 2011 Jianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed-books
The Lying Game by Sara Shepard is a mystery-packed, thrill-suspense novel that will keep you guessing and thinking till your heads hurt. Oh yeah.

The story revolves around Emma Becker, who grew up to be a foster child. When she found out that she has a twin sister, Sutton Mercer who looks exactly like her, she went in search of her hoping that she will finally find her family. However, Emma learns that Sutton is dead. Murdered. So who has murdered Sutton? In order to find out her twin's killer, E
John Egbert
Apr 04, 2011 John Egbert rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Stupid plot, stupid story, incredibly stupid characters. You'd have to pay me to read the next book.
Trinity
Holy Moly!!! Have you ever read a book where you are just sitting still reading the pages, feeling like you can't breathe after every word? This is exactly what this book did to me! It is such a page turner!! I need the next book and I need it now!!!

Emma:
Okay, Emma is our foster girl who is Sutton's twin sister, she soon finds out Sutton is dead and is being threatned to play as Sutton or she will die next. There are so many suspects you have no idea which one to trust!

Sutton:
I have to be hones
Danny
First, this is my first book from Sara Shepard, I haven't read Pretty Little Liars, BUT I watched the TV show and I absolutely adore it. So when I got the chance to read this book in her new series I immediately wanted to read it.

I wasn't disappointed - this was a quick read full of mysteries to discover and of course the end leaves you hanging in the air and waiting for the next book.

The story is told from a dead girls Point of View. Sutton suddenly wakes up seeing a girl that looks exactly l
Manbir Gill
Jan 25, 2012 Manbir Gill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book totally deserves a 5 STAR.The only reason i gave it 4 stars is because i didn't get to know the murderer in this book, i was reading this book so desperstely because i thought i will get to know who is it by the end but i didn't which was so dissapointing but that explains why it's a series.GOD! I wonder how long do i have to wait to know the murderer.Anyway this is my first mystery book and i totally love it, this book has raised my opinion on mysteries.I loved this book from the very ...more
Kristin
I didn't know this was going to be a series.... I'm a bit confused how it's going to be stretched out over multiple books, because even when I had a chapter or two left, I fully expected everything to resolve, then... it didn't.
It was well written, and definitely intriguing, but I sort of feel like I'm not trendy enough for this series. A lot of the brand names mentioned I'm sure are supposed to be famous, but it did nothing for me because well, I don't spend money on things like shoes and sun
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥
At A Glance

Genre:
Young Adult
Love Triangle/Insta Love?: Nope.
Cliff Hanger: Yes

In Depth

Best Part:
Ghost Girl!
Worst Part: Mean Girls!
Overall Feels Felt: You dumb; Wowwww; Oh snap!!!

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
Recommending: yes
Misc.:

Short Review: Well since i finished PLL i figured i should tackle another series by Sara. This has a different feel to
Nikoline
The Lying Game is usually not my kind of genre, however, I must point out how much better the story is than so endless many in this genre. I only read the book because I fancied the Danish cover which I found at the library earlier today.

What annoys me with the book is how the reader is still left with many unanswered questions. I'm aware that it's necessary for the author to leave some questions unanswered for the next books in the series, but come on! You only get to know very little, but tha
Lori (Pure Imagination)
Secrets, lies, drama, and murder. Really, what more could you want? Sara Shepard is the master of YA mysteries and she definitely doesn't disappoint in The Lying Game. Emma is foster kid who has been moved from one home to another ever since her mother abandoned her. Sutton is a wealthy spoiled rich girl who has it all. Until she was murdered. When Emma finds out about her long lost twin sister she goes to visit her and gets forced into impersonating Sutton. Someone knows she's not Sutton and th ...more
Elisabeth Jondahl
I wish books like this were around when I was 13. YA is so much better nowadays and there's a lot more variety.

One thing I have a slight problem with is the POV. It switches between Emma and Sutton in a disjoined way that repeatedly took me out of the story where I had to remember which sister was the first-person narrative. It's not a deal breaker, however, and I was able to fully enjoy the story in spite of an awkward format.

I like this book's reaction to the Mean Girl culture. The protagonist
Carrie Stewart
Sep 02, 2011 Carrie Stewart rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Aimee
Feb 23, 2012 Aimee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of murder mysteries and bitchy best friends
I really enjoyed The Lying Game. I've never read Pretty Little Liars, so I didn't know what Sara Shepard's writing style was like there, but it was really good here.

Sutton was murdered. Now, her long-lost twin sister Emma is pretending to be her, at the same time searching for Sutton's murderer. So far, the prime suspects are: Sutton's friends Charlotte and Madeline and Sutton's sister Laurel.

My guess of who the murderer is: (view spoiler)
But that's just my guess as of the
Gauri Dhruva
Oct 02, 2014 Gauri Dhruva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the PERFECT mix of mystery, romance, suspense, and tragedy!!

This book revolves around the life of Sutton Mercer that her identical long lost twin sister, Emma Paxton is living. Emma takes the place of her sister because she finds out that Sutton has been murdered. Only Emma and Sutton's killer know Sutton's dead, but Sutton's killer threatens Emma that if she tells ANYONE that she's NOT Sutton and that Sutton's dead, she's next. And so begins an exciting cat and mouse game between E
Charlyn
Jun 23, 2016 Charlyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.0*

Dost dobrá jednohubka. Pár věcí bych sice vytkla, ale celkově se mi kniha hodně líbila a rozhodně si přečtu další díly.
MorganReadsBooks
I was a tad bit disappointed with this book. It felt very forced at times and the characters aren't very convincing. After finishing this book, I wish there was more that I took from it. For a mystery, it really didn't tell me anything.

The suspense part of the book was also a let down but I'm hoping it picks up in the second book. This book is very Mean Girls and high school drama so maybe that's why I'm not to big a fan.

Second one please don't disappoint! And at least let me know something.
Irena
Jul 25, 2014 Irena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the TV show. I was so sad when it got cancelled and I was left with so many unanswered questions.

So what did I do? I bought the first and the fifth book in the series (hey, it was an impulsive shopping and our bookstore didn't have other ones at that time!).

And what did I do before reading it? I decided to take ''just a little sneak peak'' in spoiler sections for the 6th book and I found out who killed Sutton. But, what I thought was that that someone had killed her somewhere in the midd
Heather
Jul 07, 2013 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Spoiler Alerts! I was torn. There was so much I disliked about this book, and yet, when I finished, I thought, "Eh? You did ok, Shepherd." It was a complete story. I enjoyed it. Good commercial voice.

1. So there is a narrator every now and then: The ghost of Sutton. The biggest problem I had with this is that the voice of dead Sutton as a ghost and the alive Sutton, the devil child the family and friends describe, are NOT THE SAME PERSON. You can't suddenly make Sutton likeable because you nee
I need to get book 3 through 6 1 4 Mar 03, 2016 11:16AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Lying Game (The Lying Game #1) by Sara Shepard - Restarting June 25th 2015 34 93 Jun 25, 2015 06:39PM
2016 Reading Chal...: Just started 3 20 Mar 24, 2015 06:18AM
Book vs. TV show 26 289 Mar 14, 2015 03:01AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #26 The Lying Game by Sara Shepard 1 3 Jan 24, 2015 05:30PM
  • The Book of Spells (Private, #0.5)
  • Pretty Little Liars (TV Series)
  • God Is in the Pancakes
  • Rosebush
  • One Hundred Candles (Past Midnight, #2)
  • A Tale of Two Pretties (The Clique, #14)
  • The Daughters Break the Rules (The Daughters, #2)
Sara Shepard graduated from NYU and has an MFA from Brooklyn College. She currently lives in Tucson, Arizona. Sara's Pretty Little Liars novels were inspired by her upbringing in Philadelphia's Main Line.
More about Sara Shepard...

The Lying Game (6 books)
  • Never Have I Ever (The Lying Game, #2)
  • Two Truths and a Lie (The Lying Game, #3)
  • Hide and Seek (The Lying Game, #4)
  • Cross My Heart, Hope to Die (The Lying Game, #5)
  • Seven Minutes in Heaven (The Lying Game, #6)

“Always sleep with one eye open. Never take anything for granted. Your best friends might just be your enemies.” 455 likes
“At least she had a clear picture of what the Lying Game was now: Girl Scouts for psychopaths.” 103 likes