Start by marking “Damn Yankees: Twenty-Four Major League Writers on the World's Most Loved (and Hated) Team” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Damn Yankees: Twenty-F...
Rob Fleder

Winners of twenty-seven World Series titles, the New York Yankees are the quintessential sports dynasty. Love them or hate them, they cannot be ignored by anyone who professes to be a fan of the great game of baseball.

With Damn Yankees, Rob Fleder, former Executive Editor for Sports Illustrated magazine, offers a timeless collection of original essays by some of the most p
Published April 3rd 2012 by Ecco (first published March 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Damn Yankees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Damn Yankees

Marilyn Johnson
Apr 04, 2012 Marilyn Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
24 wildly different pieces, each one a keeper, from Colum McCann's touching account of taking up American baseball through his son to Pete Dexter's savagely funny piece about identifying with Chuck Knoblauch, who woke up one day unable to throw the ball; from Yankee-haters and Yankee biographers; all the way to a brilliant end about dead Yankees....this is a book for writers and readers, whether they care about baseball (or the Yankees) or not. Picking a favorite piece might be impossible. J.R. ...more
Sep 05, 2012 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's get this straight: the only reason I checked this book out of the library was because of the parenthetical phrase in the subtitle, "Twenty-four major league writers on the world's most loved (and hated) team." It promised a good dollop of hatin' on the pinstripes, and that was reason enough for me to check it out.

But the reason I bought a copy of the book is that while I'm a fan of exactly one baseball team, I'm a fan of good writing wherever I find it. And in this book it's mostly in the
Jennifer Didik
Aug 25, 2013 Jennifer Didik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baseball
I know, I know. Of course Jen is going to give a book about the Yankees five stars. I don't usually write reviews, but hear me out.

The thing is, I wasn't even supposed to buy this book. I had time to kill while in the Village before I needed to be somewhere, so I ducked into Three Lives Books. Just to browse. And I saw this book on a display and thought, Oh that's cute. I vaguely remember hearing about it when it was published in hardcover, but I picked this paperback up and took a look at it, c
For some reason, great writers and baseball are a match made in heaven. This collection contains essays ranging from Colum McCann to Frank DeFord, though my personal favorite was "The Errors of Our Ways" by Pete Dexter -- I absolutely loved it. This collection is for both fans and haters, and though I consider myself in the latter category, I couldn't help but reluctantly respect them (both the Yankees and their fans) in the end. (Although that respect comes with an asterisk -- read "The Queens ...more
Jack Palmer
A recent New York Times article claimed that football (soccer) is replacing baseball as the intellectuals' game. When it comes to writing about sport that is definitely not true. As someone who did not grow up with baseball I am always astounded by the quality of writing it produces. Damn Yankees includes some wonderfully poetic essays on a wide variety of subjects. My favorite essay is Column McCann's, partially because he is also a foreigner to baseball, partially because it is about 2009, whe ...more
Apr 25, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baseball-books
Lots of good sports essays. The very best one is Colum McCann's, The Long Way Home. I also loved one called Oldest Living Yankee, by J.R.Moehringer. I don't like the Yankee, but I like this book.
Aug 02, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're a Yankee fan, you're going to love perusing this book, reading about other fans who love them, and looking through all the impressive stats those Yankee players (past and present) have. If you're not a Yankee fan, you'll appreciate some of this book but you'll probably wish there was more hating. Since I am a devoted Yankee fan this book hit the right notes. It is made up of 24 essays by mostly sports writers. I really enjoyed the essay on Babe Ruth making the point that as crazy as th ...more
Jul 25, 2013 Dale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baseball
I am unapologetically one of the people on the most-loved side of the divide alluded to in the title, which means I'm acutely aware of the interesting timing of reading this book right now: mid-season in a year in which the Yankees have fallen hard and fast from recent heights, their aging line-up riddled with injuries, still showing some flashes of anyone-can-be-a-Bucky-Dent-level-hero which have kept them above .500, albeit in a division where that's only good enough for fourth place.

The fact
May 26, 2014 Lukeduell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book 4 stars because it all of the information in the book is easily relatable. I liked the way it threw in humor with baseball. The book also goes way back in time to when the stars along with babe ruth were on the team. I would recommend this book to any baseball player that knows the true hatred for the Yankees and why.
Jan 18, 2014 Shaughnarioux rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves baseball
A fantastic collection of essays/memoirs/trips down memory lane by really engaging writers. The essays use the Yankees as a writing prompt, but they are not necessarily all "pro-Yankees" (one of my favorites is from a Mets-Fan) nor are they all centered squarely on Yankee fandom (another favorite is about the an immigrant father and son who use baseball as bonding with each other and other americans. For those who are really looking for good Yankees stats, the last chapter is all about the numbe ...more
Pat Murray
Aug 07, 2014 Pat Murray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read for those of us who hate the Yankiteasees and the less intelligent lifeforms who drink their teams Kool Aid.
This book is comprised of some of baseball's best writers essays on the team who has as many detractors as it does lovers. As a baseball fan I did enjoy the last essay on Derek Jeter compared to the over rated Joe DiMaggio.
For the Yankiteasees fans there are team statistics and all time category leaders.
Jun 25, 2012 Dom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed this book a couple times from my local library branch, and I definitely intend to purchase it for my personal collection.

If you are a fan of baseball, a Yankees fanatic, one who despises all and anything Yankees, or enjoy sports in general, you will find this collection of articles and anecdotes entertaining. If you are not a fan, you will still enjoy this collection. Although the subject matter is primarily a sports team, don't let things like statistics scare you. The authors in thi
Like all essay collections, there are some really good essays and less than enjoyable ones. I picked this up in an attempt to understand the Yankee fanaticism that surrounds me. I enjoyed the love (and hatred) of both fans and enemies of the team. It's interesting to see the story of the Yankees plays against American culture.
Rick Roberts
Sep 11, 2014 Rick Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Baseball writing as it should be - lyrical, elegiac, evocative. Though one could be excused for thinking that nothing new could possibly be written about the Yankees, née Highlanders, Fleder has amassed two dozen pieces that peel back the pinstripes and give more love than animus.
Jan 07, 2013 Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yankee fans
This was really a fun read if you're a baseball fan, and especially if you were a Yankee fan at some point over the past 40 years or so. The book is a compilation stories by 24 different sports writers, each offering interesting and often quite humorous anecdotes about the Yankees, or in some cases about why they hate the Yankees. Either way, there's baseball yore for all.

I'm buying several more copies as gifts to some of my favorite Yankee fans.

Bill Silverman
I'm skimming through this book for stories I find interesting and/or amusing. Pete Dexter's piece about Chuck Knobloch (the All-Star second baseman who mysteriously lost the ability to accurately throw to first base) is great.

"Yankees don't let death rob them of their sense of humor. Pallbearer Joe Dugan, at Ruth's funeral that long-ago August [1948] said: 'I'd give $100 for an ice-cold beer.' To which teammate Waite Hoyt replied: 'So would the Babe.'"
May 06, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, sports
I will never feel the same way about Frank Deford. How can he hate the Yankees? But of all the essays in this book,I most appreciate two: Pete Dexter's on Chuck Knoblauch -- it was laugh out loud funny. And then there is Nathaniel Rich's on being a Mets fan -- as he says "At some point we had a choice in the matter. We are New Yorkers, after all -- we could have rooted for the Yankees with impunity."

So glad I read this book
Jim Bartruff
Jan 15, 2015 Jim Bartruff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love baseball? Love good writing? This is for you. A dominant theme in many of the pieces is the connections between the boy, the man, the hero (or chump) and memory. Love 'em or hate 'em, the Yankees are featured in some way in every piece, but the writers all have distinct points of view and take you into their experiences. And you can read a little or a lot in a sitting.
May 07, 2013 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of essays is fairly hit-or-miss. Some were quite good, such as "One True Pitch" by Rick Telander, recounting the story of Jim Abbott, born without a right hand. Tom Verducci, Jane Leavy, and Roy Blount, Jr. also have nice contributions.
Marylu Sanok
Stories from sports writers and others about the Yankees over the generations. Being a born Yankee fan, I wanted to read them. Some were true fans, some unbiased and some who totally hate the
Yanks and everything they are.
Jun 12, 2013 Jesse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of these essays are absolutely terrific, even to a Yankee hater. I especially enjoyed the one written from the perspective of a lifelong Mets fan.
Jun 21, 2012 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book with 24 different perspectives (love and hate) regarding the Yankees over their illustrious history from 24 well respected authors.
Thomas Love
Sep 10, 2012 Thomas Love rated it liked it
As a Mets fan, I'd resisted, but it turns out there were at least six pieces I really got something from. Out of 24, that's not a rotten average.
Jun 02, 2012 Benjamin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baseball
Various writers from a range of walks of life offer up their takes on being Yankee fans or haters. The fans come off as more sincere than the haters.
Pat Fallon
Sep 03, 2012 Pat Fallon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good quick read. both sides of view given Love em or hate em. Tom Verducci's story on Derek Jeter is just terrific.
Dec 13, 2012 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a fan of sports writing, but this is a good book! Humorous and historical.
Kate McMurray
Really enjoying these essays so far.
Bill marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2016
Brice marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2016
Aaron Sinner
Aaron Sinner is currently reading it
Sep 30, 2016
  • Pinstripe Empire: The New York Yankees from Before the Babe to After the Boss
  • The Captain: The Journey of Derek Jeter
  • Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu: John Updike on Ted Williams
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2004
  • Class A: Baseball in the Middle of Everywhere
  • Best Food Writing 2007
  • The Kid from Diamond Street: The Extraordinary Story of Baseball Legend Edith Houghton
  • Miss Mary Reporting: The True Story of Sportswriter Mary Garber
  • KnitLit (too): Stories from Sheep to Shawl . . . and More Writing About Knitting
  • Bill Veeck: Baseball's Greatest Maverick
  • Mostly True: A Memoir of Family, Food, and Baseball
  • Knitting Pearls: Writers Writing About Knitting
  • The Best of Outside: The First 20 Years
  • The Best American Sports Writing of the Century
  • Big Data Baseball: Math, Miracles, and the End of a 20-Year Losing Streak
  • KnitLit: Sweaters and Their Stories...and Other Writing About Knitting
  • Precious Objects: A Story of Diamonds, Family, and a Way of Life
  • The Victory Season: The End of World War II and the Birth of Baseball's Golden Age