Start by marking “Code to Joy: The Four-Step Solution to Unlocking Your Natural State of Happiness” as Want to Read:

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  13 reviews
We are meant to be happy. Instinctively, we all know this, somewhere deep inside. We all know what it's like to feel a burst of delight. Every one of us has at some point in our lives experienced a sense of ecstatic joy, of euphoria at the sheer sensation of being alive.

Have you ever wondered why that experience has to be so rare and fleeting?

The answer is, It doesn't.
Published April 3rd 2012 by HarperOne (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Code to Joy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Code to Joy

I actually stopped reading this after an interesting discussion with someone who gets paid to listen to me whine and rant and muse. I was SO excited about the book, with its promise of unlocking my "natural state of happiness" which I SO wish I possessed. I feel like I live with someone who has been described as "genetically happy," while I fight the slide into the black hole over and over, pretty chronically. I wanted a book that would give me the epiphany "so THIS is how a person is naturally ...more
I love this book. In fact, among all the self-help books i have read so far, this is the only one i trust like a bible. I love the idea that we are all meant to be happy. Consciously, we try to be happy and our ultimate goal is to be happy in our life. No one in their right frame of mind would want to be a sad person. Anyone? However, the problem is, subconsciously, due to some previous microtraumatic experience which we might have already forgotten, we are held back which makes us lack of confi ...more
Wendy Lincoln
the premise of this book is that all of us have the ability to overcome issues that have damaged our ability to function. The author introduces concepts such as neuromuscular feedback, body polarity, and remapping beliefs.

My favorite part is that it is scientific in approach-not hippie-dippie spiritual. After having my share of failed run-ins with religious and self-proclaimed spiritual types I am leery of people who claim spiritual authority. Dr. Pratt's writing stayed 99% clear of spiritual o
dropped reading..didnt find it interesting randomly went thru the remaining book some techniques mentioned were already known
This is different than what I expected. It includes simple exercises to get in touch with your core beliefs - specifically the ones that are limiting you.

There were way too many anecdotes along the lines of "Susan experienced ______. Then she did the four steps & found that she had thought _______ the whole time about herself without knowing! Now she is just fine."

Practical in some senses, a little loopy in others. It was a little too repetitive for me but I walked away with one or two exerc
Mary Gabel
I love motivational books. But I love effective books more. Code to Joy delivers on its promise to "unlock your natural state of happiness." A beautifully written blend of story and science, you'll understand why you have areas that, no matter what you do, you continue to fail at—relationships, earning and keeping money, good health—whatever it is for you. Follow the 4 steps of the Code to Joy. Really take them on and do them and watch what happens in your life.
Alex Kent
Easy to read, easy to digest, Code to Joy pulls together many of our modern self healing ideas into a four-step process. Happiness can be achieved through a simple, painless, drug-free regime carefully laid out by the authors, in a clear 1-2-3 technique, complete with explanations of how and why these steps work.

I will suggest it to others.
I skipped some chapters because there's just too much storytelling and it's boring. I'd rather have techniques or tips to help work with some of my issues. The simple steps shown in this book simply don't appeal to me. It's just not doing much for me... so yeah... i'm kind of abandoning this book.
I am thankful to the friend who recommended this book. I found it a little hokey - the arm test especially - but the other exercises were helpful. I would recommend this book to anyone who is mentally stuck.
I stumbled upon this book when I was getting epubs from my library website. I am currently on page 84 and find the ideas so interesting. So far it is very easy to read.
Kara Blumenthal
It has some polarity techniques. I'm a fan of books that have healing techniques.
Shenandoah Smith
ok i guess i like the part with the elephant and the flea
Esther Bradley-detally
Returned to library; i'm sure good, but .....
Leslie marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Molly marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Julia marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Bob added it
Jul 05, 2015
Jef marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Whitney marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Felicia marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The New Meditation Handbook: Meditations to Make Our Life Happy and Meaningful
  • Wired For Joy: A Revolutionary Method for Creating Happiness from Within
  • Asperger Syndrome and Difficult Moments: Practical Solutions for Tantrums, Rage, and Meltdowns
  • How to Heal with Color
  • Aromatherapy for the Healthy Child: More Than 300 Natural, Nontoxic, and Fragrant Essential Oil Blends
  • The Swing!: Discover the Revolutionary Kettlebell Program That Will Take You from Fat to Fit
  • The Healing Power of Mind: Simple Meditation Exercises for Health, Well-Being, and Enlightenment (Buddhayana Series, VII)
  • Body Confidence: Venice Nutrition's 3-Step System That Unlocks Your Body's Full Potential
  • Living With Less: An Unexpected Key to Happiness
  • Zapped: Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn't Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution
  • The Global Heart Awakens: Humanity's Rite of Passage from the Love of Power to the Power of Love
  • A Promise of Hope
  • New Beliefs, New Brain: Free Yourself From Stress And Fear
  • The Juice Lady's Turbo Diet: Lose Ten Pounds in Ten Days—the Healthy Way!
  • Take Me to Truth: Undoing the Ego
  • MaryJane's Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook: For the Farmgirl in All of Us
  • The Amazing Liver & Gallbladder Flush
  • The Power of Rest: Why Sleep Alone Is Not Enough. A 30-Day Plan to Reset Your Body
Enemy Ace: War Idyll Batman: Harvest Breed Instant Emotional Healing: Acupressure for the Emotions Wolverine: Netsuke Spellbound in Darkness: A History of the Silent Film