Start by marking “Working Together: Why Great Partnerships Succeed” as Want to Read:
Working Together: Why Great Partnerships Succeed
Preview

Working Together: Why Great Partnerships Succeed

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  13 reviews

Dig deep and you will find the most compelling argument for working together: Happiness.

In business there are always unique individual achievers, but pull down the veil and you'll often find someone alongside them. Michael Eisner does just that in Working Together. Using his own collaboration with Frank Wells at Disney as a launching point for examining other famously su
Audio
Published September 14th 2010 by HarperAudio (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Working Together, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Working Together

Mindful Reader
I felt a great sense of satisfaction when completing this book. We often hear the horror stories of business relationships, large and small. This book highlighted, again and again, that goodness is the most successful characteristic of successful partnerships. Like a timeless Disney classic, good triumphs over evil and the white knights and princesses live happily ever after. While it may sound more than trite, it is true.

Early in June, 2011 - So far, I'm in Chapter 5, I am loving this book. Ei
Katherine Collins
I have to admit, when I first heard about this book, I thought it was a joke. “Working Together”, from the man who was such a famously difficult manager? But as I read, I realized that I’d fallen prey to the same short-term-ism we are always decrying: my personal impression of Eisner was formed from my time as a media analyst, soon after Frank Wells’ tragic death. Eisner was not so awful, not so mercurial – he was grieving for his partner. For his friend. And he had to do it publicly, under grea ...more
Rob Cantrall
A nice study, although somewhat high level, of a variety of partnerships and collaborations from various walks of life. These include Eisner's own partnership with Frank Wells, in addition to the following:

Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger - quite interesting
Bill and Melinda Gates - absolutely fascinating. It really makes the case for them as equal partners, which is somewhat inconsistent with general perception, I think it safe to say.
Brian Grazer and Ron Howard - okay
Valentino and Giancarlo G
steven
Eisner has great access to some very high profile partnerships, and the inside access is the strength of the book.

However, the book seems to lack an overall theme - the success of the partnerships is attributed to whatever characteristics the partners possess, although they differ in each case. There is not a legitimate effort to support these cause and effect relationships with facts, as many similar partnerships have failed. Eisner acknowledges these concerns in the epilogue, but that does not
Lee
I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to stand out and accomplish the most they can. While the writing was simple, and often repetitive, Eisner does a great job at delivering the key takeaways from each of the partnerships identified in this book. I already find myself reflecting on the principles in my day-to-day life.
Traci Mckay
I liked this book, but like the Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands, Working Together falls somewhere between too long an arguement to be made in a magazine article, too short a point to make a book. But for a book about business it really gave me insight into my marriage. Also really interesting to learn that Micheal Eisner had a partner at Disney as does Warren Buffet. A big part of this book was about defining roles (thank you, Proclamation to the Family, done and done.)and making sure that s ...more
Tirath
Got this book because of the chapter on Buffett and Munger - and there were some unknowns to be read there.
The 1st 5 chapters were good, especially the one on Valentino and Giancarlo. The book is possibly unlike most others because of its focus on what makes great partnerships work.

Interesting points about humility, the willingness to cede control, the need for integrity and the pursuit of fun.
A bit of a drag with some chapters - but all in all, a good book.
Luke
I loved the structure of this book. Ten stories of successful partnerships across all disciplines told with editorial commenting by Eisner. Several of the chapters (Howard/Grazer in particular) were quite interesting. Lots of good takeaways for leadership. The book ultimately didn't quite live up to its promise due to a lack of specific advice from the profiled people. Good,not great read.
Doug
Surprisingly interesting, I liked that he didn't try to shoehorn each of these partnerships into some overarching theory of what makes partnerships work. I wished he could have gone into some failed partnerships, especially his time with Michael Ovitz, or why he was so much less effective as a CEO after Frank Wells died.
Chris Ong
It's ok. Really liked the chapter with Frank Wells and Eisner. Good hearing stories of partnership (and as always, stories of Disney are always a joy). Gotta love Eisner though!
Davehbo
Pretty interesting first half of the book. Shows how duos such as Buffett and his partner, Grazer and Howard, and Bill and Melissa Gates operate together.
Elaine W
For a book written by a guy who's famously NON-collaborative, this was full of fascinating insights. Go figure.
Rebekah
not literary genius-- but inspiring stories about working relationships
Lorie
Lorie marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Tyler
Tyler added it
Apr 10, 2015
Becky Dawson
Becky Dawson marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
David Laplante
David Laplante marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Ayodele
Ayodele marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Mo
Mo marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Cliff Northon
Cliff Northon marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Fan Costi
Fan Costi marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Bryan Blanchot
Bryan Blanchot marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Gianni Maratea
Gianni Maratea marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
  • The Talent Masters: Why Smart Leaders Put People Before Numbers
  • Parenting the QBQ Way: How to be an Outstanding Parent and Raise Great Kids Using the Power of Personal Accountability
  • Unleash!: Breaking Free from Normalcy
  • Chicken Soup for the Cancer Survivor's Soul: 101 Healing Stories about Those Who Have Survived Cancer
  • Worth the Fighting for: A Memoir
  • Dandelion
  • The War on Choice: The Right-Wing Attack on Women's Rights and How to Fight Back
  • The Blessing
  • The Partnership: The Making of Goldman Sachs
  • The Men Who Would Be King: An Almost Epic Tale of Moguls, Movies, and a Company Called DreamWorks
  • Secret Lives of the U.S. Presidents
  • Zappos Experience
  • The Adventures of Harold and the Purple Crayon
  • Tap Dancing to Work: Warren Buffett on Practically Everything, 1966-2012
  • The Baseball Economist: The Real Game Exposed
  • The Five Most Important Questions You Will Ever Ask about Your Organization: An Inspiring Tool for Organizations and the People Who Lead Them
  • Covert: My Years Infiltrating the Mob
  • Morning Sunshine!: How to Radiate Confidence and Feel It Too
Retired Chair and CEO of Walt Disney: Former President, Paramount Pictures Corp: Former Head of West Coast, ABC Television Network
More about Michael D. Eisner...
Camp Work in Progress: Risking Failure, Surviving Success Thank You, Teacher: Letters Celebrating Extraordinary Teachers Be Our Guest: Perfecting the art of customer service Cleveland Clinic Heart Book: The Definitive Guide for the Entire Family from the Nation's Leading Heart Center