Start by marking “Working Together: Why Great Partnerships Succeed” as Want to Read:
Working Together: Why Great Partnerships Succeed

Working Together: Why Great Partnerships Succeed

Dig deep and you will find the most compelling argument for working together: Happiness.

In business there are always unique individual achievers, but pull down the veil and you'll often find someone alongside them. Michael Eisner does just that in Working Together. Using his own collaboration with Frank Wells at Disney as a launching point for examining other famously succ
Audio
Published September 14th 2010 by HarperAudio (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Working Together, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Working Together

Mindful Reader
Jun 07, 2011 Mindful Reader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt a great sense of satisfaction when completing this book. We often hear the horror stories of business relationships, large and small. This book highlighted, again and again, that goodness is the most successful characteristic of successful partnerships. Like a timeless Disney classic, good triumphs over evil and the white knights and princesses live happily ever after. While it may sound more than trite, it is true.

Early in June, 2011 - So far, I'm in Chapter 5, I am loving this book. Ei
Katherine Collins
I have to admit, when I first heard about this book, I thought it was a joke. “Working Together”, from the man who was such a famously difficult manager? But as I read, I realized that I’d fallen prey to the same short-term-ism we are always decrying: my personal impression of Eisner was formed from my time as a media analyst, soon after Frank Wells’ tragic death. Eisner was not so awful, not so mercurial – he was grieving for his partner. For his friend. And he had to do it publicly, under grea ...more
Rob Cantrall
Aug 08, 2011 Rob Cantrall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice study, although somewhat high level, of a variety of partnerships and collaborations from various walks of life. These include Eisner's own partnership with Frank Wells, in addition to the following:

Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger - quite interesting
Bill and Melinda Gates - absolutely fascinating. It really makes the case for them as equal partners, which is somewhat inconsistent with general perception, I think it safe to say.
Brian Grazer and Ron Howard - okay
Valentino and Giancarlo G
steven
Oct 18, 2010 steven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Eisner has great access to some very high profile partnerships, and the inside access is the strength of the book.

However, the book seems to lack an overall theme - the success of the partnerships is attributed to whatever characteristics the partners possess, although they differ in each case. There is not a legitimate effort to support these cause and effect relationships with facts, as many similar partnerships have failed. Eisner acknowledges these concerns in the epilogue, but that does not
Paul
Sep 12, 2015 Paul rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The entire book just drips with Eisner's ego. He draws no conclusions, talks to no outside experts, really doesn't seem to have done any research. It's just an exercise in "look at all the famous and successful people that will answer the phone when I call them." Highlights include: interrupting the discussion about Bill Gates to relay the story about the time Eisner had dinner with the Clintons and contextualizing Studio 54 by mentioning that Paramount never lost money on a movie while Eisner w ...more
Traci Mckay
I liked this book, but like the Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands, Working Together falls somewhere between too long an arguement to be made in a magazine article, too short a point to make a book. But for a book about business it really gave me insight into my marriage. Also really interesting to learn that Micheal Eisner had a partner at Disney as does Warren Buffet. A big part of this book was about defining roles (thank you, Proclamation to the Family, done and done.)and making sure that s ...more
Tirath
Jun 02, 2013 Tirath rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got this book because of the chapter on Buffett and Munger - and there were some unknowns to be read there.
The 1st 5 chapters were good, especially the one on Valentino and Giancarlo. The book is possibly unlike most others because of its focus on what makes great partnerships work.

Interesting points about humility, the willingness to cede control, the need for integrity and the pursuit of fun.
A bit of a drag with some chapters - but all in all, a good book.
Mike Adeleke
May 23, 2016 Mike Adeleke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael Eisner is the former CEO of arguably America's most storied corporation, Disney. This book goes into detail the importance of partnerships in business and in life. Not only does he go into detail on his own partnerships but also the partnerships of some of the most successful people in business and life from Charlie Munger and Warren Buffet to Joe Torre and Don Zimmer of the New York Yankees. Excellent book and a guide to finding a person you can truly build something great with.
Doug
Dec 30, 2010 Doug rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, nonfiction
Surprisingly interesting, I liked that he didn't try to shoehorn each of these partnerships into some overarching theory of what makes partnerships work. I wished he could have gone into some failed partnerships, especially his time with Michael Ovitz, or why he was so much less effective as a CEO after Frank Wells died.
Lee
Sep 11, 2014 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to stand out and accomplish the most they can. While the writing was simple, and often repetitive, Eisner does a great job at delivering the key takeaways from each of the partnerships identified in this book. I already find myself reflecting on the principles in my day-to-day life.
Luke
I loved the structure of this book. Ten stories of successful partnerships across all disciplines told with editorial commenting by Eisner. Several of the chapters (Howard/Grazer in particular) were quite interesting. Lots of good takeaways for leadership. The book ultimately didn't quite live up to its promise due to a lack of specific advice from the profiled people. Good,not great read.
Dvir Oren
Nov 02, 2015 Dvir Oren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael D. Eisner with Aaron Cohen Working Together 4/5
a great reminder, working together is better than alone
Partnerships between the right pair of people can be hugely beneficial – some of us just work better when we collaborate with someone else. A good partnership won't just bring your company greater success, it can make you much happier too. After all, humans are social creatures.
Ryan Hayes
The benefits of working together are balance: if two people work their own strengths, though they may be seemingly opposing, their collaboration will be powerful. There's an important theme of agreeing to 50/50 splits.
Rebekah
not literary genius-- but inspiring stories about working relationships
Elaine W
Jan 09, 2011 Elaine W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a book written by a guy who's famously NON-collaborative, this was full of fascinating insights. Go figure.
Anwen Garston
I really enjoyed this book, although that could be mainly because I was interested in many of the people featured in it. It's a good read if you're looking to work closely with someone else.
Davehbo
Pretty interesting first half of the book. Shows how duos such as Buffett and his partner, Grazer and Howard, and Bill and Melissa Gates operate together.
Theodore Kinni
Jan 18, 2016 Theodore Kinni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
An interesting idea for a book, but the bottom line seems to be that great partnerships are more kismet than conscious effort.
Chris Ong
It's ok. Really liked the chapter with Frank Wells and Eisner. Good hearing stories of partnership (and as always, stories of Disney are always a joy). Gotta love Eisner though!
Jeffrey Mastronardi
Jeffrey Mastronardi rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2013
Chris Dikes
Chris Dikes rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Alec Abernathy
Alec Abernathy rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2013
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2011
Jaran
Jaran rated it really liked it
May 29, 2014
Mario
Mario rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Glenn
Glenn rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Arturas Klapciukas
Arturas Klapciukas rated it it was ok
Mar 25, 2015
Flynn
Flynn rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2014
Max
Max rated it it was ok
Feb 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Talent Masters: Why Smart Leaders Put People Before Numbers
  • Getting Things Done When You Are Not in Charge
  • Parenting the QBQ Way: How to be an Outstanding Parent and Raise Great Kids Using the Power of Personal Accountability
  • Harold's Purple Crayon Treasury
  • Unleash!: Breaking Free from Normalcy
  • The Wisdom of Wooden: A Century of Family, Faith, and Friends
  • Worth the Fighting For: A Memoir
  • Chicken Soup for the Cancer Survivor's Soul: 101 Healing Stories about Those Who Have Survived Cancer
  • Dandelion
  • The War on Choice: The Right-Wing Attack on Women's Rights and How to Fight Back
  • Predictable Success: Getting Your Organization on the Growth Track--And Keeping It There
  • Charlie Munger: The Complete Investor
  • The Partnership: The Making of Goldman Sachs
  • The Blessing
  • The Generosity Network: New Transformational Tools for Successful Fund-Raising
  • Finding Common Ground: How to Communicate with those Outside the Christian Community...While We  Still Can.
  • How Winning Works: 8 Essential Leadership Lessons from the Toughest Teams on Earth
  • The Men Who Would Be King: An Almost Epic Tale of Moguls, Movies, and a Company Called DreamWorks
Retired Chair and CEO of Walt Disney: Former President, Paramount Pictures Corp: Former Head of West Coast, ABC Television Network
More about Michael D. Eisner...