Start by marking “The Mexicans” as Want to Read:
The Mexicans

The Mexicans

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The Mexicans is a multifaceted portrait of the complex, increasingly turbulent neighbor to our south. It is the story of a country in crisis -- poverty, class tensions, political corruption -- as told through stories of individuals.

From Augustín, an honest cop, we learn that many in the Mexican police force use torture as their number-one-crime-solving technique; from Juli
Published June 23rd 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published June 6th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Mexicans, please sign up.

Oscar Romero Hello Patrick,

Hello Patrick,

Just wanted to thank you for such a wonderful book you wrote (The Mexicans)--I really enjoyed it and would love to see more of my fellow nationals read it as well.

I can only think your opinion and comments about our culture may trigger something in us to want to change, for the better of course.(less)

Margaret Breidenbaugh
Without a doubt, one of the best books on Mexican culture I have ever read. This was a required text in a college ethics course, and it left a huge impact on me.
Oscar Romero
First of all, just so that you all know--I am Mexican. And although not very familiar with many of the issues as addressed by Mr. Oster, I am in agreement with many, many of the stories and the details he is telling us. Mr. Oster does have an awesome gift to describe things and events as he sees them and or as he hears them.

One of the great advantages when reading a book written from "outside the box" is just that--that he is not Mexican, thus we can tell he is from outside the box. That doesn't
Xochitl
Mar 05, 2012 Xochitl rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Xochitl by: found it at public library in town
I was easily able to relate extensively with what was written due to my ethnic roots ... however there were certain instances in which i didn't agree with the author, because a divergence in our opinions and certain inaccuracies that were presented either grammatically or certain incorrect dates, names, and historical events. I would like to add that I am not basing my statements off of innacurate knowledge; i was born and raised in Mexico and my education allows me to point out said innacuracie ...more
Jasmine
Excellent. Most of the book's segments focus on the political, social, economic and cultural state of Mexico in the 1980s, the time in which the author actually resided there. Nevertheless, many pages are spent on the history of the PRI party (and Mexican politics in general) from it's formation in the late 1920s until the period from which the author writes. The last segment of the book, "Values", contained some incredibly insightful and enlightening pieces about machoism, the gay community, an ...more
Adrienne Stapleton
Enlightening document of the lives of several Mexican citizens and particularly interesting discussion of the dire economic situation of the country through the lives of these representative individuals. The books puts a face to the stories we hear of our Southern neighbors.
Shawna Prather
I read this before and, then, after going to Mexico in college. It is very interesting and covers some really important issues.
Elaina Vitale
This was good when it was good but suffered from some sweeping generalizations as well as some uninformed feminist rhetoric.
Amanda
Amanda is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Sucy
Sucy marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Patrick Oster
Jul 02, 2015 Patrick Oster added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Patrick by: https://www.goodreads.com/author/conf...
Carlotta
Carlotta marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Antonio
Antonio marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Daria
Daria marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013