Start by marking “The Mexicans: A Personal Portrait of a People” as Want to Read:
The Mexicans: A Personal Portrait of a People

The Mexicans: A Personal Portrait of a People

The Mexicans is a multifaceted portrait of the complex, increasingly turbulent neighbor to our south. It is the story of a country in crisis -- poverty, class tensions, political corruption -- as told through stories of individuals.

From Augustín, an honest cop, we learn that many in the Mexican police force use torture as their number-one-crime-solving technique; from Juli
Published June 23rd 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published June 6th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Mexicans, please sign up.

Oscar Romero Hello Patrick,

Hello Patrick,

Just wanted to thank you for such a wonderful book you wrote (The Mexicans)--I really enjoyed it and would love to see more of my fellow nationals read it as well.

I can only think your opinion and comments about our culture may trigger something in us to want to change, for the better of course.(less)

Margaret Breidenbaugh
Without a doubt, one of the best books on Mexican culture I have ever read. This was a required text in a college ethics course, and it left a huge impact on me.
Oscar Romero
Aug 16, 2013 Oscar Romero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, just so that you all know--I am Mexican. And although not very familiar with many of the issues as addressed by Mr. Oster, I am in agreement with many, many of the stories and the details he is telling us. Mr. Oster does have an awesome gift to describe things and events as he sees them and or as he hears them.

One of the great advantages when reading a book written from "outside the box" is just that--that he is not Mexican, thus we can tell he is from outside the box. That doesn't
Xochitl
Mar 05, 2012 Xochitl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Xochitl by: found it at public library in town
I was easily able to relate extensively with what was written due to my ethnic roots ... however there were certain instances in which i didn't agree with the author, because a divergence in our opinions and certain inaccuracies that were presented either grammatically or certain incorrect dates, names, and historical events. I would like to add that I am not basing my statements off of innacurate knowledge; i was born and raised in Mexico and my education allows me to point out said innacuracie ...more
Ethan Roeder
A collection of stories about Mexican individuals of different backgrounds. Would have been much more enjoyable as an oral-history, but instead is presented through the eyes of an American journalist. It's dated. He makes shorthand assumptions about his subjects and reflects stereotypes onto them that probably didn't stir much controversy at the time but read as small-minded in 2016. Doesn't hold up well.
Jasmine
Jul 21, 2014 Jasmine rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Most of the book's segments focus on the political, social, economic and cultural state of Mexico in the 1980s, the time in which the author actually resided there. Nevertheless, many pages are spent on the history of the PRI party (and Mexican politics in general) from it's formation in the late 1920s until the period from which the author writes. The last segment of the book, "Values", contained some incredibly insightful and enlightening pieces about machoism, the gay community, an ...more
Adrienne Stapleton
Jan 11, 2008 Adrienne Stapleton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, culture
Enlightening document of the lives of several Mexican citizens and particularly interesting discussion of the dire economic situation of the country through the lives of these representative individuals. The books puts a face to the stories we hear of our Southern neighbors.
Shawna Prather
Apr 20, 2008 Shawna Prather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this before and, then, after going to Mexico in college. It is very interesting and covers some really important issues.
Elaina Vitale
This was good when it was good but suffered from some sweeping generalizations as well as some uninformed feminist rhetoric.
Nicholas Kohler
Nicholas Kohler marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Sharon Kaseman
Sharon Kaseman marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Fernando Barceló
Fernando Barceló is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2016
Lisa Harrington
Lisa Harrington marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Cam Plunkett
Cam Plunkett rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
saul milan torres
saul milan torres rated it did not like it
Mar 06, 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Erin
Erin added it
Jan 23, 2016
Margaret Salimi
Margaret Salimi marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Ed
Ed rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Janelle
Janelle marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Kristen Akers
Kristen Akers rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Paul Haspel
Paul Haspel marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Aaron
Aaron rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Christal Tongish
Christal Tongish rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2016
Sucy
Sucy marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Kate McGahan
Kate McGahan rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2015
Rin Saunders
Rin Saunders rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2015