Start by marking “Start Where You Are” as Want to Read:
Start Where You Are

Start Where You Are

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  285 ratings  ·  40 reviews
New York Times bestselling author Chris Gardner returns with a fantastic inspirational self-help book that hopes to provide direction in a time of great uncertainty.

If you've been dealing with the loss of a job or home, or have had a health or financial crisis, Start Where You Are abounds with lessons that offer hope and provide a road map for starting anew. This is also t
Audio, Abridged
Published May 12th 2009 by HarperAudio (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Start Where You Are, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Start Where You Are

Rachel
If I were to write a book on "life lessons in getting from where you are to where you want to be", I think I would whittle it down to fewer than 44. That's right. There are 44 separate "lessons" in this book. Gardner's story (which he doesn't tell in depth here, but refers to often) is remarkable, but this book is repetitive and unfocused. The best lesson I learned was at the very beginning where he describes the "C-5 complex": clear, concise, compelling, committed, and consistent. I wish he had ...more
Sonya
This was assigned reading for a Senior Capstone course in college. There were some good tips, but I think Gardner's ego and tendency to name drop are a little off-putting. If you are looking for obtaining monetary success by way of the corporate world, this book will speak to you. If you don't necessarily define success in Gardner's terms, you may find other books more helpful.
Lamec Mariita
Start Where You Are, authored by Chris Gardner and co-authored by Mim E. Rivas is an inspirational, exciting, uplifting road-map to get from the place in your life where you currently are, to becoming the person you always knew you could be! This book is a must read for anyone who is interested in pursuing their personal goals and simply making your dream a reality.
This book shares so many motivating stories of people who are in need of a lift in their life and through perseverance and hard wor
Juanita Pryor
This was a book I had to read for my senior capstone class. It is a collection of life lessons from Chris Gardner, most well known for his book "The Pursuit of Happyness" (which subsequently turned into a movie starring Will Smith). The book was definitely full of some good sound advice for achieving goals, and I respect the man for what he has come through and has been able to achieve. The only down-side for me was in the concluding chapters when Gardner started discussing spirituality.

Like ma
Rick Mccray
I loved this book. To me it is a "life resource" that I will go back to constantly to remind myself how my life experiences and current network can empower me to expand and grow in my journey. I don't think of this as some unrealistic, self-help book. Instead, Chris Gardner points out that you are where you are in life mostly due to the choices you have made up to this point. If you don't like the direction you are heading in, then change the direction you are going. He asks you to explore your ...more
Suraj Kamath
Its more like an Autobiography and sometimes really seems its meant for the wrong audience
Jeremy
May 29, 2009 Jeremy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: business
Pursuing you own happiness starts with you, no one else can create your level of happiness.

In this book, Chris Gardner, author of The Pursuit of Happyness, brings beneficial life lessons that motivate the reader to focus on goals and achieve success by starting from now. With all the zeal of a motivational speaker and the wisdom of a seasoned leader, Gardner unlocks the reality of starting your journey now, rather than later. With real world anecdotes and life lessons, the book paints a great p
Alison
Just finished this book. It is incredible how far Chris Gardner has come from where he started. Learning from and using your past experience to see where you can go is a different thought process. I intend to utilize Chris's ideas and create my own Start Where You Are notebook to see where I have been and where I am going. I know this will allow me to move forward both in my personal and business lives. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking to discover more about themselves and h ...more
susieqlaw
I really love this book. First, I listened to it on audio. Then, I downloaded a copy. If you have ever worked in the corporate world, this book will definitely help you. Even if you are just starting out, this book is a gem. Why? Well, life is not all about work accomplishments. Mr. Gardner's advice definitely his advice can help you achieve your career goals. However, he also talks about balancing work, family, and interpersonal relationships. Does his name sound familiar??? Perhaps, you have s ...more
Michael
One of the most influential men of our time, Chris Gardner provides readers with an infrastructure for success through real life issues. "Start Where You Are" aims to give readers the motivation and drive to not settle and move FORWARD.

No matter your life situation, this book encourages you to start with your present position in order to build a better future. A very well written book by a seasoned leader, motivational speaker and philanthropist, "Start Where You Are" is a must read.
Portia Taylor Daniels
If you loved Chris Gardner's autobiograpy, The Pursuit of Happyness, whether in book form or on the big screen; you will appreciate his candid report of some of the life lessons that he learned during his journey. His wit, commonsense, and heart-felt lessons made me laugh, think, and bring about resolve...a must read, or hear. I purchased the hardcopy and placed it on my self-help shelf for future referral...as well as using some of his quotes as my Facebook status...smile.
Anilia
I really tried to like this book. But about halfway through I lost steam. Between the author constantly referring to his mother (which I know was a very important person in his life... but after a while my eyes glazed over), telling the reader that "everything you need is already in you" over and over again, I just lost interest and put it down. And every time I tried to start again, I kept losing interest.
Monica
Tiene una que otro consejo bueno pero en general las lecciones y sus palabras claves con sus ejemplos no van de la mano.
Creo que trató de abarcar muchas cosas e hizo una mezcla de todo que terminó en un libro regularmente digerible. Mi opinión también está sesgada porque no me gustan este tipo de libros.

Quisiera comunicarme con la casa editorial porque el libro tiene muchos errores ortográficos.
Brendan
If you're like me, you know you're working toward excellence but keep going back to asking yourself "where do I start" this is an invaluable resource. Start where you Are helped me to frame where I'm heading, how to get there, and relieved some of the anxiety of the journey. It's tough. And it's supposed to be. But not impossible.
Naomi
I love Chris Gardner in anything I have read about him or watched with him in interviews..I think the guy is dead on and real in what he says. That being said, I expected more out of this book. He had some awesome points and I really teetered between 3 and 4 stars with it, but ended up with 3 stars because I expected more from his works.
Kat
This book was pretty good. It was a little too self help at times. The book jacket made me expect it to be a breakaway from the usual self help genre but that's all it was. Basic philosophies using Gardner's and other people's personal experiences. I wouldn't say it was a disappointment but it wasn't as helpful as I hoped
Christopher Lewis Kozoriz
In your library of Resources, value all experiences. ~ Chris Gardner

Written by the man who inspired the movie, "In Pursuit of Happyness".

Once homeless, a man who made a decision the reach for the stars, despite his circumstances.

Be inspired by his life and business lessons and reach your own true Happyness.
Recardo
Very inspirational book. This book is written by a man that uses experience as his story to inspire others. It has so much of a value when you can feel the writers pain embedded into a book like this one.

I recommend this book to anyone that still seeking there way. The title is self explanatory. "Start where you are"
Ramona
I liked this book because it's inspiring. Chris Gardner was a father and homeless living on the streets. Now he is a millionaire, a speaker and mentor. He started where he was. He picked what he wanted to do with his life and we went for it. You start from where yo are and go from there.
Jonny Andrews
Saw the film Pursuit of happyness with Will Smith. V inspiring! Saw Chris Gardner at a Utility Warehouse Seminar, and had to buy the book. Chris has a very good positive slant at life; interesting reading the life lessons he has learnt. A worthwhile book to read
Jon
I listened to the CD version during my commute and it helped me be more positive and inspired. He is not just talking. He went from homeless single parent to a very weatlhy man. I was glad to pick up some good ideas from Start Where You Are.
Cindy Kang
This was inspirational, especially for me at this moment in my life when things are changing. He has a very positive proactive attitude about so many things here. He really shows a strength of character that I can only hope to emulate.
Linda Marazoni
This is such a wonderfully written and motivating self-help book, I had to buy my own copy (I had borrowed it from the library). I marked so many pages for future reference, I knew I would want to read the whole book again and again.
Jorge Roman
It was a good book.It has really good advices for life. However, Gardner focused too much on the homeless issue. I will recommend young people ( like me) to read this one because this book will give you motivation to pursue your goals.
Anthony
This author is the man the Pursuit of Happyness is written about. Solid inspirational book, nothing over the top that made me say wow. His story is impressive in the movie and the book is similar with his life attitude.
Azmir Ismail
Satu buku yang menarik dan padat mengenai petua - petua kejayaan kehidupan mengikut pandangan Chris Gardner yang popular dengan 'Pursuit Of Happyness'. Ada 44 pengajaran yang dibentang megikut susunan Chris sendiri :)
Becky Morlok
This book was a real help to me when I lost my job. It's even better than Pursuit of HappYness...Chris is a great motivator. This book is on a list of recommendations to my clients in career transition.....
La Tonya
Chris Gardener just reaffirmed what I need to hear! What a great source of encouragement this book was to me! I highly recommend this book if you need that little boost of encouragement!!!
Sha-shonda Porter
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. There are several gems of wisdom that help to re-focus, re-energize, and revive those of us who are determined to live life on/with purpose.
Patrick Farr
Plan B sucks! Very inspiring book that shows you that life is too short not to follow your dreams, even if you think that your dreams are a thing of the past.
  • People Are Idiots and I Can Prove It!: The 10 Ways You Are Sabotaging Yourself and How You Can Overcome Them
  • Co-Opetition
  • The EFT Manual
  • The Think Big Manifesto: Think You Can't Change Your Life (and the World?) Think Again.
  • The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance
  • Reinvention: How to Make the Rest of Your Life the Best of Your Life
  • Don't Send a Resume: And Other Contrarian Rules to Help Land a Great Job
  • Curious Minds: How a Child Becomes a Scientist
  • Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar: How Self-Education and the Pursuit of Passion Can Lead to a Lifetime of Success
  • The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People
  • Made From Scratch: A Memoir
  • Better Off: Flipping the Switch on Technology
  • The Disciplined Mind: Beyond Facts and Standardized Tests, the  K-12 Education That Every Child Deserves
  • The Sedona Method: Your Key to Lasting Happiness, Success, Peace and Emotional Well-being
  • The New Global Student: Skip the SAT, Save Thousands on Tuition, and Get a Truly International Education
  • Best Friends Forever: Surviving a Breakup with Your Best Friend
  • Super Rich : A Guide to having it all
Christopher Gardner is the owner and CEO of Gardner Rich LLC with offices in New York, Chicago, and San Francisco. Conquering grave challenges to become a successful entrepreneur, Gardner is an avid motivational and aspirational speaker, addressing the keys to overcoming obstacles and breaking cycles. Gardner is also a passionate philanthropist whose work has been recognized by many esteemed organ ...more
More about Chris Gardner...
The Pursuit of Happyness Start Where You Are: Life Lessons in the Pursuit of Happyness Start Where You Are À procura da felicidade: Uma história de vida En Busca de La Felycidad

“Then again, what seems like nothing in the eyes of the world, when properly valued and put to use, can be among the greatest riches.” 1 likes
“But if you don’t take the necessary steps to make them happen, dreams are just mirages that mess with your head!” 1 likes