3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  1,104 ratings  ·  82 reviews
The bestselling biography of Helen Keller and how, with the commitment and lifelong friendship of Anne Sullivan, she learned to talk, read, and eventually graduate from college with honors.
Published April 1st 1989 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Helen Keller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Helen Keller

The Dry by Rebecca NolenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëPeter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes by Jonathan AuxierTall, Tatted and Tempting by Tammy FalknerThe Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
Blind/Deaf/Mute
32nd out of 180 books — 158 voters
The Help by Kathryn StockettThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggDivine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca WellsWhere the Heart Is by Billie Letts
Best Adult Female Friendship Books
316th out of 365 books — 707 voters

More lists with this book...

Boshra Boshra
Helen Keller
My book was about Helen Keller’s story. I first heard about her story from my friend and I couldn’t wait to learn about her. I asked myself is it true? Blind, deaf and dumb girl can do this? Can she read and do everything that she wants until she got a college degree?! So I started looking for Helen Keller’s story until I found it. It’s really an interesting story that will hook you to read more and more about this lady. This lady faced a lot of problems in her life but she succeed...more
Katherine
Title:Helen Keller
Author:Margaret Davidson
Genre:Biography
Length:95 pages
Date Finished:October 12, 2012

This book is about Helen Keller, a blind and deaf person who brought hope to many people like her. Helen was born as a normal baby. There were no problems with her. But one day, she got a strange fever. Helen was able to survive, but she was also left blind and deaf. The doctors could do nothing about it. As Helen grew older, there were many times where she felt frustrated because she couldn't...more
Marina
Helen Keller is a really sad, old book. Is a biography on Helen Keller's tragic life in not been able to speak, see, or hear. In the book illustrates you how, with the commitment and lifelong friendship of Anne Sullivan, she learned to talk, read, and eventually graduate from college with honors. She encourage herself to talk and to do great in life and she actually put all her effort and made it there.
Selvi
This is a short simplified version of Helen Keller's story. L. is very fascinated by Helen and never gets tired of rereading this, asks questions. The first couple of times through, I edited a little bit, for example there is a section that discusses WWII and Helen visiting soldiers, but in later readings I went ahead and read it as it is.
Aubrey
by Margaret Davidson
95 pages
Biography

Helen Keller by Margaret Davidson is the story of Helen Keller’s life from the day she was born until after she died. The book started by telling of the strange fever that left Helen blind and later deaf. It tells of her childhood with her teacher Annie Sullivan and how Annie taught her how to spell and read. It wasn’t until one day outside when Helen understood that the words had meanings. Annie took Helen outside to the water pump to let water r...more
Jenica
Summary:
The book, Helen Keller, by Margaret Davidson is the heart-wrenching true story of Helen Keller, a girl who lost her sense of sight and sound. She was born with all her senses and when she was a toddler she got a fever which stole her sense of sight and hearing from her. From that time on, she became a volatile child. This was based on her confusion at the world around her. She would often run into things or purposefully push her baby sister’s crib over. Her parents were desperate for som...more
Kris at Book Wishes
Reading about Helen Keller was awesome. I loved how this book tells about her life and keeps you going. Most biographies I am worried about reading to my children because they tend to be boring, but I loved this. Never boring gives children the great points about Helen Keller's life. Most of my children cannot wait to learn more about Helen after reading this!

Helen Keller is a inspiration, she took the word NO and never listened to it, even though it was written in her hand so often. Helen Kell...more
Yuina Kawase
1. Title, Level
Helen Keller, Level 3

2. Reading Time
180 min

3. 7-word summary
Child, fever, blind, deaf, teacher, education, trainings

4. Discussion & Question
Q. If you see blind or deaf people, what do you want to do?
A. I want to help them walk. I think they need our help.

5. What I thought about the book
I am happy that I can see and hear anything. If I could not see or hear anything, I would feel sad. I think that Anne was one of the best teachers! I would like to be a teacher like her.
Christie Hall
Jan 16, 2008 Christie Hall rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young people everywhere!
Shelves: biographical
This book was the first of many books I was exposed to as a child that I would classify as my "sheroic development" biographies. I read them all between third and sixth grade.

These women with special abilities were my childtime heros. I never considered Helen Keller "disabled" as I didn't consider my own father disabled. He was a hero that happened to do what amazing things he did...better than most could do in any case... and he did it on one leg. To me, that was a special ability, not a disabi...more
Paula
I read this because my daughter's class is having a "Battle of the Books" this year. Her teacher asked if I would read it and come up with some questions.

I was a great, very quick read for me. At only 96 pages, it covers what I'm sure are just the most basic highlights of her life. I think it is well written and explains Helen's situation well for a child to understand.
Arianna Anderson
I really enjoyed the book Helen Keller by Margaret Davidson.It is a brief overview of Helen Keller's life from the time she was born to the time she died. Helen was born a normal baby. Then one day Helen got a very bad fever. Which later left Helen ill, blind, and death at only 9 months old. The story later speaks about how Helen's mom got her help from a teacher named Annie Sullivan. Annie never gave up on Helen and taught her how to read, write, and communicate with others through sign languag...more
LuAnn
Yet another very well-written biography for children from the1960s that was so inspiring and made Helen Keller, Annie Sullivan and their experience real to me as a child.
Ricky Francis
I really liked this book. Its written in very plain English so it was very easy to read and it moves along quickly focusing only on the important events. Its amazing following Helen's journey of learning how to read as she starts out having no knowledge of words. Her teacher miraculously gets through to her, spelling out letter shapes into Hellen's hand then introduces her to an alphabet of raised letters on a card. Eventually she learns how to read braille and her world grows exponentially. The...more
Ava Buchwald
I thought the story of Helen Keller was really inspiring. It shows that you can do anything, even with disabilities and big problems that seem unbeatable.
Nash Bandong
One of the few short novels I've read. It shows me how different life can be when you're blind or deaf. Loved it.

The realism of how life could take us into dramatic stages were shown in this book. It showed how Helen survived in our world with only her touch and smell. The books showed me that the world isn't a perfect place for everyone but that certain group of people could use that disadvantage and help themselves succeed through life's great obstacles.
Rozlen Jeter
Sep 26, 2009 Rozlen Jeter rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mr. littell
Recommended to Rozlen by: My mom
Helen keller was born on june 27 1880 in Alabama,USA. She was blind and deaf because of her illness, and then helen met Anna(teacher), she taught her how to write words, how to speak and how to understand what someone is saying by touching her lips and throat, Helen keller was a major importance and role model for many people and an sinsational person who graduated from college knowing that she was blind and deaf. so no matter what you are you can do anything you put your mind up to even if you...more
Ivonne
great book
Ben Lamorte

A must-read biography for all of us. No excuse for waiting until I turned 40 to discover this gem.

My 8-yr old son is reading the last chapter silently as I type. My wife read it in 15 minutes today over lunch. She cried. I cried. My son asked me so many questions about being blind and deaf.

Helen is an inspiration to our family and next we will have a family movie night an watch the 1962 film.

I discovered this book on Goodreads and read several amazing reviews -- thank you.
Natty
Mar 02, 2010 Natty added it
In my opinion this book is one of the best books I had ever read. When I first started reading it I thought that it was kind of boring, although when I kept reading it I couldn't stop.
Also, this book gaves you a lesson for life because is about a girl that couldn't see, hear and talk. After years, she started learning by herself and with her mother's help.Finally I recommended this book to for all the people who will liked to start reading something different and reflective.
Tiffany
This book is a brief overview of Helen Kellers life. It starts with how Helen fell ill which eventually leads to her blindness and deafness. It goes on to tell us about a special person in her life who helps her learn how to live being deaf and blind. It is a great book to teach children courage, strength, and differences.
Some activities you could do is to teach sign language to students. Character traits on Helen Keller would be great and then they could compare her to themselves.
Gina
Jan 15, 2013 Gina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: a
So this book encouragement a lot of to this time and to my future life because, even though she was not an healthy person such as blind, deaf and dumb girl, she continued her life such a normal person and she did different things like a other healthy people, for example she could to read a book, ride a horse, go to the university, and encouraged another persons who come from the with some deficiency, such as miss a leg or an arm.

Michelle
You know, thinking back, I think this was the first biography I'd read. I still remember the cover and the section of the school library I found it in. My brother also loved it. And what do you know, years later, I'm interested in academically looking at auto/biographical writings of women. Helen Keller was just amazing. I'm not sure any biography of her could fail. But this one was great because it got a very young child to be fascinated by her story.
Bipasha
The book was girl how to first learned to speak and read by feeling and raised letters with her finger tips. Lester she learned the special raised do it alphabet called braille.

I read is book and I feeling was very interesting story because I connect Our learned about English programmer (speck of English). How Helen Keller, teacher how she thought her student. My attention graved thing that kind of teach rally hard . Then I gave a five stars.
Minami Hashimoto
Time:9/28 60minutes 9/30 120minutes
7words summary helen-high fever-ann-darkness-blind-deaf-happiness
Discussion question
1.If you can't see anymore, what do you think?
a I scare about everything.
2.If your friend suddenly became disabled people, what do you do?
a I help him or her as much as possible.

I didn't know that Helen came Japan so far!
The book was little difficult for me, but it was nice learning to her.
Lainey
Helen Keller is blind and can't talk or hear so her parents call in a special teacher, Annie Sullivan, to see if she can teacher her how to communicate. Annie never gives up and eventually, Helen understands and can now communicate through sign language. I loved Annie in this book because even through the hard times she never gave up. I would recommend this book to anyone who needs an inspirational story.
Linda

This book is one of the best book i have read, Helen keller really made me believe in miracles she had tought many people about challenging yourself. I think the author wrote very well on this story, I like how she explain about hellens needs and learning disabilites she made me picture how life would be like if i was blind and deaf. I recommend this book to people who like challenges in life.
Sally
"whatwasthatbook" helped me out - I'm pretty sure this was the one I read in the school hall in grade 5 or 6 that had the braille alphabet on the back :) And if it wasn't this one, it was Helen Keller by Stewart Graff because I distinctly remember there being a green cover!
Daniella
This book takes you back to the time Helen Keller was alive and how her life was. It is so detailed you feel like you're in the 1800's and watching Helen sitting by the tree with Anne Sullivan. At the beginning, it might be a little boring, but you have to give this book a chance to get interesting because it definitely will!
tinabot
Being an educator myself, it was very interesting to read about her learning and education, but the primary content is about a very privileged life. In short, if she weren't deaf and blind, this would be a very dull book about a wealthy girl living a comfortable rich girl's life in America.
Ginni Dickinson
I just finished reading this book for the 7th time. I read it every year with my students. Helen Keller and Annie Sullivan's stories continue to inspire me. My students love this book, too. They are so amazed by the story. It's a book I will never tire of reading with my class.
  • Freedom Train: The Story of Harriet Tubman
  • A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt
  • Pocahontas And The Strangers
  • Plain Girl
  • What's The Big Idea, Ben Franklin?
  • Turn Homeward, Hannalee
  • The Great Wheel
  • The Great Turkey Walk
  • Om-Kas-Toe: Blackfeet Twin Captures an Elkdog (Amazing Indian Children Series)
  • In Search of the Source: A First Encounter with God's Word
  • The Perilous Road
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • Sarah Whitcher's Story
  • If You Were There When They Signed The Constitution
  • Shades of Gray
  • Phoebe the Spy
  • By the Great Horn Spoon!
  • George Muller: The Guardian of Bristol's Orphans (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
There is more than one author with this name

Margaret Davidson grew up in New York City. As a child, she always loved to read.

She has written many biographies, true stories about people's lives. Some famous people she has written biographies about are Helen Keller, Annie Sullivan, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Golda Meir.
More about Margaret Davidson...
Helen Keller's Teacher Five True Dog Stories Louis Braille: The Boy Who Invented Books for the Blind I Have a Dream: The Story of Martin Luther King The Story Of Thomas Alva Edison