Start by marking “Helen Keller” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,636 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
The bestselling biography of Helen Keller and how, with the commitment and lifelong friendship of Anne Sullivan, she learned to talk, read, and eventually graduate from college with honors.
Published April 1st 1989 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Helen Keller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Helen Keller

Maybe Someday by Colleen HooverArcher's Voice by Mia SheridanTall, Tatted and Tempting by Tammy FalknerThe Dry by Rebecca NolenThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Blind/Deaf/Mute
38th out of 308 books — 258 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Girl on the Train by Paula HawkinsHyperbole and a Half by Allie BroshThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
H: Books, characters, authors, etc
166th out of 239 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Boshra Boshra
Apr 11, 2013 Boshra Boshra rated it it was amazing
Helen Keller
My book was about Helen Keller’s story. I first heard about her story from my friend and I couldn’t wait to learn about her. I asked myself is it true? Blind, deaf and dumb girl can do this? Can she read and do everything that she wants until she got a college degree?! So I started looking for Helen Keller’s story until I found it. It’s really an interesting story that will hook you to read more and more about this lady. This lady faced a lot of problems in her life but she succeed
Aubrey
Oct 29, 2012 Aubrey rated it liked it
by Margaret Davidson
95 pages
Biography

Helen Keller by Margaret Davidson is the story of Helen Keller’s life from the day she was born until after she died. The book started by telling of the strange fever that left Helen blind and later deaf. It tells of her childhood with her teacher Annie Sullivan and how Annie taught her how to spell and read. It wasn’t until one day outside when Helen understood that the words had meanings. Annie took Helen outside to the water pump to let water r
Katherine
Oct 24, 2012 Katherine rated it really liked it
Title:Helen Keller
Author:Margaret Davidson
Genre:Biography
Length:95 pages
Date Finished:October 12, 2012

This book is about Helen Keller, a blind and deaf person who brought hope to many people like her. Helen was born as a normal baby. There were no problems with her. But one day, she got a strange fever. Helen was able to survive, but she was also left blind and deaf. The doctors could do nothing about it. As Helen grew older, there were many times where she felt frustrated because she couldn't
Alexa Garcia
Apr 21, 2016 Alexa Garcia rated it it was amazing
The book Helen Keller was amazing.She had some disabilities, but that didn't stop her from doing a lot of things.The boom talked about how Helen had many disabilities and about her childhood, but this book really inspires people.It's like if, the book has a special message that it's trying to tell you.I would recommend this book to anyone who likes Helen Keller, or who likes inspiring books.
Valeria Cardenas
Apr 20, 2016 Valeria Cardenas rated it it was amazing
Helen keller is one of the best books I have ever read. Helen keller is one of the most inspiring womos in the world.she has done the imposible and with the things that she had gone thought was helping her more and more each day. I recommend this book to people who love reading about people who are inspireing.
Analy
Apr 24, 2016 Analy rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. Helen Keller is an inspiration. She has disabilities but it didn't stop her. she kept fighting to do what she wanted to. If you like strong persevering girls this is the book for you. I also recommend this book to people who like learning about people who make a diffrence.
Nash Bandong
May 14, 2014 Nash Bandong rated it really liked it
One of the few short novels I've read. It shows me how different life can be when you're blind or deaf. Loved it.

The realism of how life could take us into dramatic stages were shown in this book. It showed how Helen survived in our world with only her touch and smell. The books showed me that the world isn't a perfect place for everyone but that certain group of people could use that disadvantage and help themselves succeed through life's great obstacles.
Dayan Cruz
Nov 18, 2015 Dayan Cruz rated it liked it
It was ok but I thought it should have more to the story about her life. When I was reading it I found myself feeling very inspired by her because of how much perseverance she had. I would look up to her any day as a hero to our world. She found out that she had to keep on trying and never give up. I recommend this book to all people who would like to feel inspired by a hero. It was really good so you should give it a chance and read it.
Marina
Mar 02, 2010 Marina rated it liked it
Helen Keller is a really sad, old book. Is a biography on Helen Keller's tragic life in not been able to speak, see, or hear. In the book illustrates you how, with the commitment and lifelong friendship of Anne Sullivan, she learned to talk, read, and eventually graduate from college with honors. She encourage herself to talk and to do great in life and she actually put all her effort and made it there.
Selvi
Dec 30, 2010 Selvi rated it really liked it
This is a short simplified version of Helen Keller's story. L. is very fascinated by Helen and never gets tired of rereading this, asks questions. The first couple of times through, I edited a little bit, for example there is a section that discusses WWII and Helen visiting soldiers, but in later readings I went ahead and read it as it is.
Jenica
Feb 18, 2013 Jenica rated it it was amazing
Summary:
The book, Helen Keller, by Margaret Davidson is the heart-wrenching true story of Helen Keller, a girl who lost her sense of sight and sound. She was born with all her senses and when she was a toddler she got a fever which stole her sense of sight and hearing from her. From that time on, she became a volatile child. This was based on her confusion at the world around her. She would often run into things or purposefully push her baby sister’s crib over. Her parents were desperate for som
Krissy
Apr 10, 2016 Krissy rated it it was amazing
Reading about Helen Keller was awesome. I loved how this book tells about her life and keeps you going. Most biographies I am worried about reading to my children because they tend to be boring, but I loved this. Never boring gives children the great points about Helen Keller's life. Most of my children cannot wait to learn more about Helen after reading this!

Helen Keller is a inspiration, she took the word NO and never listened to it, even though it was written in her hand so often. Helen Kell
Christie Bogle
Jan 16, 2008 Christie Bogle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young people everywhere!
Shelves: biographical
This book was the first of many books I was exposed to as a child that I would classify as my "sheroic development" biographies. I read them all between third and sixth grade.

These women with special abilities were my childtime heros. I never considered Helen Keller "disabled" as I didn't consider my own father disabled. He was a hero that happened to do what amazing things he did...better than most could do in any case... and he did it on one leg. To me, that was a special ability, not a disabi
Arianna Anderson
Nov 09, 2012 Arianna Anderson rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the book Helen Keller by Margaret Davidson.It is a brief overview of Helen Keller's life from the time she was born to the time she died. Helen was born a normal baby. Then one day Helen got a very bad fever. Which later left Helen ill, blind, and death at only 9 months old. The story later speaks about how Helen's mom got her help from a teacher named Annie Sullivan. Annie never gave up on Helen and taught her how to read, write, and communicate with others through sign languag ...more
Ricky Francis
Aug 28, 2011 Ricky Francis rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. Its written in very plain English so it was very easy to read and it moves along quickly focusing only on the important events. Its amazing following Helen's journey of learning how to read as she starts out having no knowledge of words. Her teacher miraculously gets through to her, spelling out letter shapes into Hellen's hand then introduces her to an alphabet of raised letters on a card. Eventually she learns how to read braille and her world grows exponentially. The ...more
Jonathan Andrew
Feb 23, 2016 Jonathan Andrew rated it liked it
This book was, obviously, all about Helen Keller. It talked about how her parents first discovered she was blind and deaf, and when Annie Sullivan came to help teach her, and how she began to travel around the country seeing people and giving lectures. This was different from a normal biography because it had Helen's thoughts being expressed. Helen was thinking throughout the whole book, and you could read her thoughts. It was a very interesting way to include her into the story - many times Hel ...more
Anica
Dec 17, 2015 Anica rated it it was amazing
Helen Keller is a nonfiction book written by Margaret Davidson. It's a nonfiction because it's based on a true life story about a girl who is in a quiet dark world. She's been deaf and blind or whole life and no one understood her until a woman named Anne Sullivan who was almost blind but not quite. She helped her and gave her lessons, she even taught her how to speak proberly and became who she is. I rated this book 5 stars because it's really interesting if how Helen's life had been a huge suc ...more
Yuina Kawase
Jan 13, 2014 Yuina Kawase rated it it was amazing
1. Title, Level
Helen Keller, Level 3

2. Reading Time
180 min

3. 7-word summary
Child, fever, blind, deaf, teacher, education, trainings

4. Discussion & Question
Q. If you see blind or deaf people, what do you want to do?
A. I want to help them walk. I think they need our help.

5. What I thought about the book
I am happy that I can see and hear anything. If I could not see or hear anything, I would feel sad. I think that Anne was one of the best teachers! I would like to be a teacher like her.
Rozlen Jeter
Sep 26, 2009 Rozlen Jeter rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mr. littell
Recommended to Rozlen by: My mom
Helen keller was born on june 27 1880 in Alabama,USA. She was blind and deaf because of her illness, and then helen met Anna(teacher), she taught her how to write words, how to speak and how to understand what someone is saying by touching her lips and throat, Helen keller was a major importance and role model for many people and an sinsational person who graduated from college knowing that she was blind and deaf. so no matter what you are you can do anything you put your mind up to even if you ...more
Elias_Lizzy
May 02, 2016 Elias_Lizzy rated it liked it
Shelves:
Title: Helen Keller By: Margaret Davidson Genre: Biography

The book, Helen Keller, by Margaret Davidson is the heart-wrenching true story of Helen Keller. Helen Adams Keller was born on June 27, 1880, in Tuscumbia, Alabama. Her family lived on a homestead, Ivy Green that Helen's grandfather had built decades earlier. When Helen was 9 months old she was a normal heathy baby until suddenly she got a fever once it passed over she was blind and deaf. Helens mom didn’t know how to teach Helen about th
Ben Lamorte
Sep 13, 2012 Ben Lamorte rated it it was amazing

A must-read biography for all of us. No excuse for waiting until I turned 40 to discover this gem.

My 8-yr old son is reading the last chapter silently as I type. My wife read it in 15 minutes today over lunch. She cried. I cried. My son asked me so many questions about being blind and deaf.

Helen is an inspiration to our family and next we will have a family movie night an watch the 1962 film.

I discovered this book on Goodreads and read several amazing reviews -- thank you.
Halee
Dec 09, 2015 Halee rated it really liked it
Helen Keller books are always tough for me to read. Not because of the vocabulary words, but because of the content of these books and all the struggles Helen endured. I can't even imagine what life would be like if I were blind and deaf. I don't know how I would make it. Helen Keller was a strong woman because she never quit. I would definitely recommend this book to grades 5-8. It has great potential for teaching them to be grateful for the things they so easily take for granted.
Natty
Mar 02, 2010 Natty added it
In my opinion this book is one of the best books I had ever read. When I first started reading it I thought that it was kind of boring, although when I kept reading it I couldn't stop.
Also, this book gaves you a lesson for life because is about a girl that couldn't see, hear and talk. After years, she started learning by herself and with her mother's help.Finally I recommended this book to for all the people who will liked to start reading something different and reflective.
Tiffany
This book is a brief overview of Helen Kellers life. It starts with how Helen fell ill which eventually leads to her blindness and deafness. It goes on to tell us about a special person in her life who helps her learn how to live being deaf and blind. It is a great book to teach children courage, strength, and differences.
Some activities you could do is to teach sign language to students. Character traits on Helen Keller would be great and then they could compare her to themselves.
Isabelle L
Dec 15, 2015 Isabelle L rated it really liked it
Gina
Jan 15, 2013 Gina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a
So this book encouragement a lot of to this time and to my future life because, even though she was not an healthy person such as blind, deaf and dumb girl, she continued her life such a normal person and she did different things like a other healthy people, for example she could to read a book, ride a horse, go to the university, and encouraged another persons who come from the with some deficiency, such as miss a leg or an arm.

Michelle
Oct 16, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it
You know, thinking back, I think this was the first biography I'd read. I still remember the cover and the section of the school library I found it in. My brother also loved it. And what do you know, years later, I'm interested in academically looking at auto/biographical writings of women. Helen Keller was just amazing. I'm not sure any biography of her could fail. But this one was great because it got a very young child to be fascinated by her story.
Bipasha
Jun 08, 2010 Bipasha rated it it was amazing
The book was girl how to first learned to speak and read by feeling and raised letters with her finger tips. Lester she learned the special raised do it alphabet called braille.

I read is book and I feeling was very interesting story because I connect Our learned about English programmer (speck of English). How Helen Keller, teacher how she thought her student. My attention graved thing that kind of teach rally hard . Then I gave a five stars.
Minami Hashimoto
Sep 30, 2012 Minami Hashimoto rated it it was ok
Time:9/28 60minutes 9/30 120minutes
7words summary helen-high fever-ann-darkness-blind-deaf-happiness
Discussion question
1.If you can't see anymore, what do you think?
a I scare about everything.
2.If your friend suddenly became disabled people, what do you do?
a I help him or her as much as possible.

I didn't know that Helen came Japan so far!
The book was little difficult for me, but it was nice learning to her.
Lainey
Dec 13, 2010 Lainey rated it liked it
Shelves: 2nd-nine-weeks
Helen Keller is blind and can't talk or hear so her parents call in a special teacher, Annie Sullivan, to see if she can teacher her how to communicate. Annie never gives up and eventually, Helen understands and can now communicate through sign language. I loved Annie in this book because even through the hard times she never gave up. I would recommend this book to anyone who needs an inspirational story.
  • George Washington Carver: Man's Slave Becomes God's Scientist (Sower Series)
  • The Wright Brothers
  • The Terrible Wave: Memorial Edition
  • Pocahontas And The Strangers
  • A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt
  • Plain Girl
  • Freedom Train: The Story of Harriet Tubman
  • The Oxford Illustrated Book of American Children's Poems
  • The Lewis & Clark Expedition
  • What's the Big Idea, Ben Franklin?
  • Om-Kas-Toe Blackfoot Twin Captures Elkdog
  • Turn Homeward, Hannalee
  • Helen Keller
  • The Story of Eli Whitney
  • Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia
  • The Great Turkey Walk
  • The Seventeenth Swap
  • Phoebe the Spy
There is more than one author with this name

Margaret Davidson grew up in New York City. As a child, she always loved to read.

She has written many biographies, true stories about people's lives. Some famous people she has written biographies about are Helen Keller, Annie Sullivan, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Golda Meir.
More about Margaret Davidson...