Start by marking “Wildtrack: A Novel of Suspense” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Wildtrack: A Novel of ...

Bernard Cornwell

Wildtrack: A Novel of Suspense (Thrillers #1)

Nick Sandman's spine was shattered by a bullet in the Falklands. He has no money and no prospects, only a dream of sailing far away from his troubles on his boat, Sycorax. But Sycorax is as crippled as he is, and to make her seaworthy again, Nick must strike a devil's bargain with egomaniacal TV star Tony Bannister. Signing on to the crew of Bannister's powerful ocean race ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published July 5th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Wildtrack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wildtrack

Alasandra Alawine
Enjoyed the book but found it slow going in spots. My favorite character is the cat Vicky.
Jeff allsopp
Good holiday read

The story flowed but it did not grip me, there wasn't enough depth to the characters, perfect for a holiday read.
Joe White
Feb 17, 2015 Joe White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-shelf, boats, fiction
review Wildtrack Berbard Cornwell
2/27/15
3 to 4 stars - depending on your mood.

A very good sailing yarn. The main characters were unbelievable, with the women being fantasy emblems to caulk the joints in the plot.

The main characters were two high profile fabously wealthy and driven men manipulating with oppressive financial force the central salty sea dog soldier sandwiched in between. Naturally the media star had been married to daughter of one of the wealthiest men in the world from the Levant.
Megargee
Jul 23, 2015 Megargee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This a novel about obsessions. Wounded Falklands war hero Nick Sandman is obsessed with overcoming his disability and returning to sea on his beloved ocean going yawl Sycorix. However, TV megastar Tony Barrister, who is obsessed with winning a prestigious trans-Atlantic race on his ocean racer Wildtrack has trashed Sycorix. Tony will repair Sycorix if Nick helps him win race. However, a mega-millionaire Onassis-type is obsessed with inducing Nick to help him kill Tony to avenge the death of his ...more
Graham
Feb 24, 2014 Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
A high-spirited and engaging novel, as one would expect from the author. This marks the last of Cornwell's sailing thrillers that I had to read (following CRACKDOWN, SCOUNDREL, SEA LORD and STORMCHILD), although conversely it was the first written of the quintet.

And it's a cracker of a read, with an unpredictable storyline, carefully-crafted characters and all of the mystery, suspense and tension that one expects from the genre. I've found each of these five books to be very different in feel, m
Colin Powell
Mar 03, 2013 Colin Powell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nick Sandman is an ex-soldier wounded in the Falklands war and owner of the VC. He has lost all his wealth and has an ex-wife who is constantly after more maintenance. His shattered spine makes walking about difficult, but he gets through the grinding day, willing himself on. He has a boat called Sycorax – a yacht that is his prized possession. In this meagre possession, Nick harbours his hopes of sailing away from all his troubles in Britain, like a sea gipsy, to New Zealand. However, while in ...more
Ross
Oct 30, 2010 Ross rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the 5th and last of Corwell's "thriller" genre books that I read, although it was the first one he wrote. I thought it the 2nd best of the 5. It has a lot of sailing and is probably of greater interest to readers who are also sailors. For fans of Cornwell I recommend you read 4 of the 5, but not "Storm Child" which I felt was simply too far fetched to be worth reading. Four out of five is pretty good, however. On the whole, though, Cornwell is really at his best with the historical nove ...more
Helen
Nov 11, 2013 Helen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this back in 1999 when it first came out and long before I discovered that Bernard Cornwell writes an excellent historical book. This one is about sailing, a man crippled in the Falkland war and his beat up boat that he hopes to race again one day. It is quite different from his other books and it wasn't until I saw it listed on Goodreads that I realized that I had even read it. Not that it wasn't memorable as I am able to recall large chunks in the storyline. I will add the book to my li ...more
Jon
Jul 29, 2015 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently saw somewhere that the amazingly prolific writer of historical novels Bernard Cornwell has recently written some "thrillers" set in the modern day and using sailing as a backdrop. I thought I'd try one. This is the first, and the best part of it is the beautiful, and I guess accurate, presentation of sailing a small boat in the unforgiving North Atlantic. It demonstrates the most heartfelt love of sailing I've read since Patrick O'Brian. The plot was OK, if a little contrived, and the ...more
Eugenea Pollock
Dec 28, 2014 Eugenea Pollock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the plot and pace of this author's work, so I have read a number of his books aloud to my husband while on road trips. I have found his sailing stories to be his least successful, with this single exception. The character of Nick Sandman, wounded warrior and VC recipient from the Falklands conflict, is well drawn and extremely appealing; and the mystery--who did it, was there even a murder--kept my interest throughout.
Marcus
Sep 06, 2012 Marcus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A surprising change from Cornwell's normal writing style. The first person perspective of this modern, intrigue filled sailing yarn, felt a bit unfamiliar (compared to Cornwell's other novels)at first, but redeemed itself very quickly. While it is a different direction from the usual (brilliantly written) historical fiction that the author provides, there is no difference in quality. I will be picking up the other books in this series.
Scott
Dec 15, 2015 Scott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As with the last Bernard Cornwell "sailing" book I reviewed I have to start by saying I love Cornwell, especially the Sharpe series and the Starbuck series.

But, as in the last book there is simply too much sailing jargon and entire pages of jibbing, reefing and scuppering. The 300+ page book would be better at 225 with 100 pages of too much sailing edited out.

I plan to read the other two books in the sailing series, but I expect more of the same. Time will tell.
Paul Doyle
Nov 25, 2013 Paul Doyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While a departure from the historical novels that I prefer, Mr. Cornwell has written a good thriller here. Nick Sandman, our hero has returned from the war with only one goal,to sail his boat around the world. Alas that is not to be.
What happens when an hororable man is caught up with rich me who know nothing of honor...
Maria
Jun 26, 2008 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A terrific adventure/thriller with great characters as I have come to expect from Mr. Cornwell. I particularly enjoyed the sailing scenes. They made me feel like I was on Sycorax with Angela and Nick. I had complete sympathy with Angela, who was trying to maneuver a boat she was a novice on and not doing too well. Great writing!
Steve Lamb
May 07, 2014 Steve Lamb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge Cornwell fan. He is undoubtably my favorite living writer. This book is a bit of a departure for me form the historical fiction that I love so much, but it definitely caught me up and had me turning the pages all the way to the end. If you like contemporary mystery type books and haven't yet read Cornwell, this is an excellent introduction to his works.
Jack Carter
May 12, 2011 Jack Carter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am biased.
I like almost anything that Bernard Cornwell writes and this book is no exception. I do not comment on the content of the novels as I believe that everyone is entitled to their own, uninfluenced opinions but I do think that anyone reading this book will be pretty much hooked onto the authors other novels.
Dawn
Dec 09, 2012 Dawn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One of those books so contrived that every action and decision the 'hero' makes just does not make sense. The dialogue was daft, too - the ex wife especially was a caricature beyond belief, with her 'don't be tiresome' replies and detachedness.
Diane Wachter
Wildtrack, Bernard Cornwell, RDC-M #5-88, 1989. A novel about a cripple who wants to sail again on his boat Wildtrack, so hires a tv actor to crew for him. The actor is hated by someone who will stop at nothing to get revenge on him, even while sailing the stormy Atlantic. Good.
JRK Rao
Jan 04, 2011 JRK Rao rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nearly finished reading this. Easily one of the worst Cornwell's I have encountered. Pity...

Finished the book with a great deal of effort. Even the writing style is not what one has come to expect from Bernard Cornwell!
Leonard
Chuck
May 05, 2010 Chuck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wounded British army veteran of the Falklands War finds himself drawn
into a web of deceit and intrigue that he is not sure he is capable of
dealing with. This is a dark, rather cold story that is unusual for Cornwell, who has become one of my favorite authors.
Millstone
Excellent stuff, but the plot was just a tad shaky in places where Mr C wouldn't let it show these days. His contemporary thrillers were so good, it's a shame he hasn't written one for a while: equally, I love what he's doing at the moment so it's a shame that's relatively easy to bear.
Torben
Jun 22, 2015 Torben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Habe es in der gekürzten Readers Digest Version gelesen und bin sehr positiv überrascht. Gut geschrieben, spannend, mitreißend, dramatisch und augenscheinlich fundiert. Cornwell wie man ihn mag in einem anderen Metier. Super. Ein Stern Abzug ob der gekürzten Variante.
Dona Krueger
His books on small sailing boats makes it a certainty that he spends a lot of time in the water in Cape Cod. Really an exciting read. I need a motion sickness pill by the second chapter of any in this series. But, it is a Zues like accomplishment to challenge the oceans in a small craft.
Tom
Sep 26, 2012 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
B. Cornwell can write in any genre? This mystery rang with me because I am a sailing enthusiast, then the main character began to resonate. Harder genre than his HF as there is so much competition in the mystery genre. His gritty combat descriptions serve him well when his hero is attacked.
Jeff Yoak
This is my new favorite of the Cornwell sailing novels, now having read three of the four. They feel almost like a series given the similarity of main characters, but each brings a gripping, fresh story.
Katharine Ott
Oct 21, 2015 Katharine Ott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
"Wildtrack" - written by Bernard Cornwell and first published in 1988. A slow start but satisfying ending to this very good mystery.
Bob Harris
Mar 06, 2014 Bob Harris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an exciting and wild ride in high seas. If you know anything about sailing the exquisite detail of sailing boats could be boring. But the yarn is thrilling.
Stu
Mar 07, 2016 Stu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good capturing story.

Not much on sailing but good story nevertheless. Characters almost real with real issues. One of those booms that was hard to put down.
Linda
Nov 02, 2011 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book twice--not because it was so good--because I had read it before and did not remember it. Not his best work.
  • East of Desolation
  • Lake of Fire
  • The Darkest Place
  • The Violent Enemy
  • Turquoise Girl (Ella Clah, #12)
  • By Force of Arms (Isaac Biddlecomb, #1)
  • Exceptional Clearance
  • Far Cry
  • The Small Boat of Great Sorrows
  • Young Bloods (Revolution, #1)
  • The Beauty of Murder
  • Absolution (Anderson & Costello, #1)
  • The Seventh Sacrament (Nic Costa, #5)
  • Man of War (Adam Bolitho, #3)
  • The Silver Bear (Silver Bear, #1)
  • Spy Games
  • The Fandom of the Operator
  • The English Monster
Cornwell was born in London in 1944. His father was a Canadian airman, and his mother, who was English, a member of the Women's Auxiliary Air Force. He was adopted and brought up in Essex by the Wiggins family, who were members of the Peculiar People, a strict Protestant sect who banned frivolity of all kinds and even medicine. After he left them, he changed his name to his birth mother's maiden n ...more
More about Bernard Cornwell...

Thrillers (5 books)