Start by marking “Tell Me Something” as Want to Read:
Tell Me Something

Tell Me Something

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  281 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A blank-eyed, silent meditation on young love thwarted and re-kindled. If we can have graphic novels, we can surely have graphic novellas, and this latest book from the acclaimed Norwegian cartoonist Jason is a prime example of a tight, self-contained volume that tells one complete, satisfying story in a compact 48 pages. Tell Me Something picks up the stylized anthropomor ...more
Published June 17th 2004 by Fantagraphics (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Tell Me Something, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tell Me Something

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank Miller
Required Reading Graphic Novels
424th out of 767 books — 1,264 voters
Red Rackham's Treasure by HergéThe Incal by Alejandro JodorowskyThe Nikopol Trilogy by Enki BilalTintin in Tibet by HergéAsterix in Britain by René Goscinny
Best European Graphic Novels/Comics
398th out of 447 books — 143 voters

More lists with this book...

Sam Quixote
A poet turned pickpocket stumbles across a photo of his beloved, long since gone, in the wallet of his latest mark. As he decides to visit his former love, he discovers her home life with her abusive husband is a miserable one and the circumstances of their breakup wasn’t as it seemed. Will the two find happiness together a second time - or is their love doomed forever?

Tell Me Something is probably Jason’s shortest book and he doesn’t write long ones in the first place! This one is just as memor
Anthony Vacca
Another early (almost) silent work by Jason. Tell Me Something does a back-and-forth game of telling the tragic romance of an anthropomorphic pickpocket poet and his one true love. A simple but effective shading of the space bordering the panels ques the reader onto the leapfrogs in time. As plausibly plotted as a Hitchcock flick, Tell Me Something is another bang-up comic about what a weird, wonderful, awful world we live in.
Rachel
Not sure what to make of this—I just feel like there's not enough scaffolding to tell this story. I'm interested in what's going on here, but it's like I tell my poetry students: you have to do at least 51% of the storytelling if I'm meant to meet you halfway.
Aditya Vipradas
I did not understand this story in the first read. A frequent shift between the present, the flashback and the fantasy world made it very difficult for me to comprehend the proceedings. I had to scroll through the panels numerous times to get a hang of it. But when I did, I was literally awestruck for a while. How can any person convey so much through silent comic panels? But Jason surely can.
Freddy
In the span of the last two hours, I've become a Jason fan. There are maybe twenty words in this whole book, but the lack of action "writing" is carried by expert pacing, a unique minimalist style, and simple yet complex story.
Sowmya
With less than 10 lines of dialogue, he tells everything and calls it "tell me something" :-) The more I read/see his work, the more I like him.
Foo
I think I may have to reread this, or maybe just more slowly. Fantastic nonetheless.
Elizabeth
Drawn in the style of a silent movie, with what little dialogue there is in its own panels, Jason tries to recapture the intensity of glance and the significance of gesture used in silent-era romances and fuse it with the comic format. This thriller-style romance also takes much from modern-day films, shifting in and out of time periods, to show the kindling of a romance alongside its rekindling. Interesting and compelling, it works, but it has more action and less ache than his other books, so ...more
Halfman
Simpatično, ali ne na nivou prethodno dvije pročitane. :)
مصطفي سليمان
راجل مريب قوي جاسون دا

قصة حب ملخبطة ومتداخله ومتشابكه

Monica
One of the few Jason's I hadn't been able to get me hands on - until now (thanks to a generous inter-library loan). This is traditional Jason with a nearly wordless story and a tragic bent. The similar looking characters and divergent timelines made this one a little confusing for me at first - I had to go back through it a second time to finally understand the arc.

Still - there's nobody like Jason.
Tim
I was really, really confused the first couple of times through this comic. Turns out what I thought were fantasies were actually flashbacks. Oops.

Similar to Jason's earlier works, not much talking at all. This one is a love story between a couple that was forced apart.
Jane
Definitely my favorite so far by this author. Admittedly it took me until the very end to figure out the difference between the black pages and the white pages, but that did not detract from my enjoyment. A love story of the tragic variety.
christopher
I had been trying to order this book forever, and so I finally got myself down to the Fantagraphics store, and there it was. It is Jason in my favorite form, mostly wordless; a simple and slow-moving story full of slapstick and tragedy.
Martina
Cinta terlarang, kayak Siti Nurbaya aja, tapi ala Jason.. Komik tanpa kata-kata, agak susah juga memahaminya, jadi perlu bolak-balik beberapa kali baru ngeh jalan ceritanya :P
Sardonyx
This one definitely ranks up there with my favorite Jason books. Jason truly has a gift for conveying so much story with maybe 4 sentences total in the entire thing!
David
Sadder than some of his other books. Again, for me, the characters aren't particularly sympathetic so I find it hard to care too much.
Gaelen
Destinee Sutton
Not my favorite, but pretty good. It's like a silent movie, a tragic silent movie where the heroine snorts drugs.
lesleymac
This book feels like a silent, black and white noir film. Sad but beautiful.
Wumples
One of my favorite comics of all time.
M
M added it
Mar 21, 2015
Felipe Arenas
Felipe Arenas marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
  • Jar of Fools
  • Special Exits
  • Optic Nerve #8
  • The Coldest City
John Arne Sæterøy (born 16 May 1965 in Molde), better known by the pen name Jason, is a Norwegian cartoonist, known for his sparse drawing style and silent, anthropomorphic animal characters.

He has been nominated for two Ignatz Awards (2000: Outstanding Story and Outstanding Series, 2001: Outstanding Story and Outstanding Series), has received praise in Time, and won the Harvey Award for best new
More about Jason...
I Killed Adolf Hitler Hey, Wait... Low Moon Why Are You Doing This? The Left Bank Gang