Start by marking “Arthur's Christmas Cookies” as Want to Read:
Arthur's Christmas Cookies

Arthur's Christmas Cookies (Arthur the Chimpanzee)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  73 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Arthur decides to make Mother and Father special Christmas cookies as a present. But when the cookies are finally finished, they are hard as rocks! Can Arthur think of a way to turn this disaster into the best Christmas present ever?
Audio
Published May 22nd 2007 by HarperCollins (first published November 14th 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Arthur's Christmas Cookies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arthur's Christmas Cookies

Asho
We got a big box of hand-me-down books recently, and Arthur's Christmas Cookies was one of them. It's an early-reader book, but my three-year-old enjoys it as a read-aloud bedtime story.
The story itself is cute and innocuous. For the life of me, though, I can't figure out why Arthur, Violet, Norman, and Wilma are illustrated as monkeys. Nowhere in the story is there a single reference to them being animals, and the text doesn't describe them doing anything monkey-specific. So the entire time I'
Shawn Thrasher
Dec 23, 2013 Shawn Thrasher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another beloved childhood favorite, which has stood the test of time. My 8 year old early reading self thought the sugar/salt mix up was hilariously funny. And chimpanzees dressed like Edwardian children is funny, regardless of how old you are. I also now have hard time imaging Christmas without hot chocolate, sugar cookies, and a good friend sticking his head through the door asking if I want to go out and have snowball fight - a tough one in southern California. Arthur's Eyes is so lame compar ...more
Christy
Liz
Dec 14, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book several times at Christmas in the past 13 years. The faces on the monkeys are absolutely adorable! Read again 12/14/15
David
Dec 04, 2008 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This last week I started having the kids read aloud to me at bedtime as part of our reading. It seems to be a good system. For unknown reasons, they haven't balked yet. Yesterday I gave David the option of reading a (short) chapter out of his current reader or this book. This one was easier, so he chose it. Typically he gets 20 pages or so into a book like this and wants to be done. This story must have been pretty engaging, because he read all 64 pages without a pause! We're off to get more!
Beth
May 13, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, christmas
Arthur is short on money so with the help of his sister, Violet, and his friend, Norman, they make cookies. The cookies turn out too hard because instead of sugar, they used salt. The problem is fixed by making them into ornaments which they paint. What seemed like a problem isn't one at all.
One of the better options in Hoban's Arthur series. Early readers will delight in their ability to decode the simple text and identify familiar characters.
Theresa
Aug 29, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
a cute story about sharing, good early reader
Melinda
Another good one to share with a little one
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
This book is about problem solving. E.
Coach D
Coach D is currently reading it
Apr 19, 2016
Zykerra
Zykerra marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Ava Clark
Ava Clark marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Erin
Erin added it
Mar 28, 2016
September
September marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Karen
Karen added it
Jan 19, 2016
Urmysunshine
Urmysunshine rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2015
Zoe
Zoe added it
Dec 07, 2015
Meghan
Meghan rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2015
Maria Wang
Maria Wang rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Yazmin Jimenez
Yazmin Jimenez marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany is currently reading it
Oct 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The youngest of three children, Lillian Hoban was born in Philadelphia on May 18, 1925. She attended the Philadelphia Museum School of Art, studied dance for ten years (and danced with the Martha Graham dancers), taught Modern Dance and danced professionally in the 1950s.
She learned to draw still life and began to write her own stories only after having children (Phoebe, Brom, Esme and Julia), and
More about Lillian Hoban...

Arthur the Chimpanzee (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Arthur's Honey Bear