Start by marking “The Five-Forty-Eight” as Want to Read:
The Five-Forty-Eight

John Cheever

The Five-Forty-Eight

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  27 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Here are twelve magnificent stories in which John Cheever celebrates -- with unequaled grace and tenderness -- the deepest feelings we have.

As Cheever writes in his preface, 'These stories seem at times to be stories of a long-lost world when the city of New York was still filled with a river light, when you heard the Benny Goodman quartets from a radio in the corner stati
Audio, Abridged
Published September 22nd 2009 by Caedmon (first published April 10th 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Five-Forty-Eight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Five-Forty-Eight

Kelli
May 10, 2015 Kelli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, 2015
I have never read Cheever. I read recently that Cheever was a remarkable wordsmith and that Cheever's short stories are where his talent is best displayed. This is the first one I selected to investigate this for myself. It is well written and has a Chekhovian slice of flawed life aspect. Reminded me of The Lady with The Dog although the stories are not that similar.

Feeling rushed for time I almost typed that I had "read that Cheever's shorts are where his talent is best displayed." The irony o
Realini
Jul 14, 2015 Realini rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-story, pulitzer
The Five Forty Eight by John Cheever
Formidable story, 10 out of 10

After a short story with a long, strange sounding name- The Day the Pig Fell into the Well- I have read one with a much drier, restrained title
The 5 48 refers to a train where most of the tense action takes place, with a kidnapping and a sort of payback involved.
Blake is the first character we meet and the hero of the tale, who is somehow abused by a woman who wants revenge.
Her name is Miss Dent and what I can say in her favor is
Joshie
Mar 21, 2016 Joshie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Blake (his last name, not his first) was an subtly arrogant, subtly emotionally abusive and/or subtly narcissistic man who was (like most men his age as he believed) found himself stuck in an unhappy, tedious and estranged relationship with his wife. With these reasons he deemed sensible enough, he decided to pursued a one night stand with his new and turned-out-to-be unhinged secretary which he fired the next day because (1) he was appalled by her crying and (2) he found her handwriting crude a ...more
Luiz
Mar 24, 2014 Luiz rated it it was ok
Chefe safadinho come a secretária e no outro dia a demite. Ela fica loucona e um dia consegue perseguir ele até o deixar de cara no chão.

Interessante troca de papéis. A secretária com crazy eyes simboliza as mulheres que o chefe safadinho explorou ao longo da vida, e o confrontando consegue achar uma cura/catarse e pode seguir a vida, enquanto que o coitado sacode a poeira depois dela ir embora e segue sem mudar nada.
Sebastian
Nov 14, 2012 Sebastian rated it it was ok
A guy stuck in an unhappy marriage spends a night with his emotionally distraught secretary. Realizing his mistake in getting involved with a potentially unstable woman, he fires her the next day, not realizing she is significantly more unbalanced than most women. Six months later she begins to stalk him.
Asha
Asha rated it liked it
May 12, 2016
Talieh
Talieh marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Natasja
Natasja rated it it was ok
Apr 12, 2016
Cyrus
Cyrus marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Maria Dadouch
Maria Dadouch rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2015
Zujalica Sunshine
Zujalica Sunshine rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2015
Pam Steers
Pam Steers rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Meghan Sochocki
Meghan Sochocki rated it it was ok
Jul 17, 2015
Ulaş Uçan
Ulaş Uçan rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2015
Marcos
Marcos marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Zaina Nation
Zaina Nation marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Izz
Izz marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Jill Knowles
Jill Knowles rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2014
Matthew Ledrew
Matthew Ledrew rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2015
Melek G.
Melek G. rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Amber
Amber added it
Dec 02, 2014
Gary
Gary rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2014
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2014
Nathan Farnor
Nathan Farnor rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2014
John Cheever was an American novelist and short story writer, sometimes called "the Chekhov of the suburbs" or "the Ovid of Ossining." His fiction is mostly set in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, the suburbs of Westchester, New York, and old New England villages based on various South Shore towns around Quincy, Massachusetts, where he was born.

His main themes include the duality of human nature:
More about John Cheever...