Start by marking “Easier Than You Think” as Want to Read:
Easier Than You Think

Easier Than You Think

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  291 ratings  ·  44 reviews
All of us are looking for practical ways to take control of our lives, whether in our personal relationships, our families, our work, our health, or our future plans. Daily challenges have a way of overwhelming us, making life harder than it needs to be. The good news is that the answers are out there. And they are Easier Than You Think.

In the phenomenal bestseller Don't S
Audio
Published April 26th 2005 by HarperAudio (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Easier Than You Think, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Easier Than You Think

Tristan Macavery
In law, a process known as "shepardizing" involves researching cases related to the one that you're representing, using Shepard's Citations. In each case that you look up, you can find other cases, which leads you to others, etc. Shepardizing should be thorough, and in theory could lead on forever; so how do you know when to stop? When the cases you find start referring back to cases you've already read.

Dr. Carlson's book is much the same. There are segments of this book that have already been c
Robert
The unabridged audiobook has four star advice and Richard Carlson does a four star job of reading his book. I give the book only three stars because almost all of the techniques he taught were things I've already learned from other sources. They are good techniques and I was happy to be reminded of some of them, but this book was less useful for me personally than it will be for many others. I'd suggest reading or listening to Richard Carlson's Don't Sweat the Small Stuff, and It's All Small Stu ...more
Debbie Deerwester
This book is perfect for those in a rut and can only see the negative in everything. It basically tells you to change your thoughts to positive ones. Easier said sometimes than done. If you are looking for a way to change your life by doing something really simple read "29 Gifts" by Kami Walker.
Jennifer Lila
If everyone would do all the things Richard Carlson says in this book the world would be a better place.
Deb
*Small is big*

Don't let the small size of this book fool you. It's actually a nice metaphor for the overall message of the book: small is big.

As the author notes in the introduction, this book is all about "making small changes that bring great rewards to your life works." His approach is divided into four sections. The first, " A Penny for Your Thoughts," focuses on helping you to change the way you think. The second, "Take Five," provides ways to learn how not to react out of impulse or fear b
Kim Tong Lim
Dr Richard Carlson wrote the bestselling book “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff” back in 1996. I was a fan of him back then reading quite a number of “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff” series. I picked up “Easier than you think” by chance in 2005, the year before 2006 when he died at age 45.” Life was so unpredictable but I am glad that I have learned about coping with life challenges through his books.

“Easier than you think, because life doesn’t have to be so hard” provides ideas of small changes in your
Krishna Kumar
Very quick and easy to read, this book has a lot of useful advice that can help a person identify the right priorities in life. The author provides simple methods to put things in the right perspective. It is about the one person and the one thing we can change - ourselves and our attitude towards what is happening. There are many self-help books like this on the market, nevertheless this book reads differently and is very refreshing.
Hoan
This was a self help book that really stresses staying positive by doing small things. I think since many people are resistant to major changes, small changes may be key. I actually really enjoyed reading this - it reenforced the notion to be grateful for the little things in life and to lighten up. We are often too hung up on the stupid things in life and focus on the negative quite too often. Maybe if we change our attitude and look to the positive, we all won't be so grumpy. This book strongl ...more
Michael
Good concepts, but very little I hadn't heard in other self help / happiness books. I suppose I should be pleased I live most of the time according to his principles, but it's also good to hear it over and over to emphasize.
Aakash
This book is fabulous. If you want to change something look in the mirror and make the small changes accordingly your life would be easier. Dr. Richard Carlson is a fantastic author however, I have not read whole book.
Kay
I liked this better than the author's other book, "Don't sweat the small stuff." There are some repetitions, but the new things I learned have been very helpful. And even if I already knew some of what was in the book, it was nice to be reminded daily about things I may not be implementing. The chapters are a good length and it's written in a way where you can easily take away action items to apply what is being discussed.
Shelley
Another of Carlson's books that provides simple, basic, common sense changes to your life to increase your happiness and general life satisfaction. Very easy read.
Ethan Fleck
Helps you to put lots of things about your life in perspective. One of those books that you can see benefit in at any point in life. At the time I was reading this, I found out someone at work was under a lot of stress with pretty much the highest blood pressure that you can have before having a heart attack. He is taking the week off to relax and get some medicine, but I got the chance to talk to him and reminded him what's truly important in life. I like to think this book really helped me to ...more
Elissa
I found this book to be a quick and refreshing self-help book. It doesn't have any really new things to say. Instead, each chapter is a little reminder of something a person could do to improve their life, such as being content with what you have, working toward goals, taking time for yourself, etc. I got this from the library, but I think I will buy it just to read every once in awhile. It has a lot principles that I could really work on. There could be (and have been) books written on each sub ...more
Tina
This is a book of short lessons on how to make life improvements. Examples: really listen to the other person's side when arguing or even when you've asked for suggestions.
Molly Zeller
Very similar to "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff"
Waseem
This is my first experience with any of Richard Carlsons work, and to my pleasant surprise, I'm not sure why I haven't heard or come across him before, this is a fantastic book and amazingly simply put. Some fantastic golden nuggets of information that can help your life in more ways than one...

...and as the title says, the author really puts the content across which really makes you see and believe..that it really is 'easier than you think' - and life can be so much more simple

Waseem Mirza
http:
Janet
Always interested in these type of "self-help" books, especially when I need a reminder how to stay positive in life. This is the "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" author, Richard Carlson. He provides simple, easy to implement strategies to change our thinking, ultimately leading to more happiness and a less stressful life. A quick, easy read.
Dave
I am surprised how much I liked this book. Plausible, intelligible & potentially fruitful. There was a time when I might have been dismissive of the author's message but in my current context the notion of making small changes (baby steps) to improve one's outlook and quality of life strikes a resonant chord for me.
Rebekah
Easier Than You Think is a good and easy read. Small changes make big differences and this book not only proves it, but shows you how. If you're feeling stuck in a rut or like you need some positive changes in your life, give this book a shot and see if it doesn't give you a lot to think about.
Debra Ham
This book was ok. I gave it 2 stars because the information was things that I already knew. This book wasn't very entertaining even though it's filled with stories of others, but I just wasn't left feeling like I want to go out and make the mentioned small changes immediately. Maybe it's just me....!
Alene Sen
Like many books about how to improve your perspective on life, this book is pretty simple to understand. Much of the stuff is common sense, but it's good to be reminded of just how simple it is to change our way of doing things. I think the key is to actually do it and continue doing it.
Nicole
Some good tips and advice on how to make life more meaningful one small change at a time. Generally stuff that we all know, but don't always live. Nothing ground-breaking (which is why the two star rating), but some good ways to put life in perspective.
Teddy O'connell
Richard Carlson is so easy to read--and understand. The title could have been better. The sub, sub title would have explained more, "The Small Changes That Add Up to a World of difference." A feel good book...a DO good book.
Carol
You have to read it slow or take notes to enjoy this book. Otherwise you will say there's nothing new here. The author suggests small changes you can make to make your life easier.
Susanne
I enjoyed this book, it included some common sense information and things I did not think of myself that will make a difference in my life. Definitely worth reading.
Sandy
Some common sense advice in short chapters. Most of these ideas can be found elsewhere, but the brief presentation is done nicely.
Elizabeth Olson
Nothing new here -- the title says it all -- but it's a quick-n-easy reminder read, and with a few good point-making stories, too.
Zjourney
This was a book that would have been better to read over a period of time. A lot of good things that need digesting.
  • Curious?: Discover the Missing Ingredient to a Fulfilling Life
  • Create Your Own Future: How to Master the 12 Critical Factors of Unlimited Success
  • Simpleology: The Simple Science of Getting What You Want
  • How To Stubbornly Refuse To Make Yourself Miserable About Anything, Yes Anything
  • Dare to Win
  • Building Mental Muscle: Conditioning Exercises for the Six Intelligence Zones
  • Managing Your Mind: The Mental Fitness Guide
  • Choosing Happiness: Keys to a Joyful Life
  • Don't Let Your Emotions Run Your Life: How Dialectical Behavior Therapy Can Put You in Control
  • It's Not My Fault: The No-Excuses Plan for Overcoming the Effects of People, Circumstances or DNA and Enjoying God's Best
  • Public Speaking and Influencing Men in Business  (From the author of 'How to Win Friends & Influence People')
  • Seven Years to Seven Figures: The Fast-Track Plan to Becoming a Millionaire
  • You Already Know How to Be Great: A Simple Way to Remove Interference and Unlock Your Greatest Potential
  • Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
  • The Winning Attitude: Your Pathway to Personal Success
  • Better Single Than Sorry: A No-Regrets Guide to Loving Yourself and Never Settling
  • Emotional Freedom: Liberate Yourself from Negative Emotions and Transform Your Life
  • Survival Is Not Enough: Why Smart Companies Abandon Worry and Embrace Change
Richard Carlson Ph.D. was an author, psychotherapist, and motivational speaker, who rose to fame with the success of his best-selling book Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff…and it’s all Small Stuff (1997).

He met and married Kristine Anderson (Kris Carlson) in 1981 while he was a student at Pepperdine University in Malibu, California.

Carlson published his first book in 1985, but became famous when his Do
More about Richard Carlson...
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life Don't Sweat the Small Stuff in Love: Simple Ways to Nurture and Strengthen Your Relationships While Avoiding the Habits That Break Down Your Loving Connection Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress and Conflict While Bringing Out the Best in Yourself and Others Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family: Simple Ways to Keep Daily Responsibilities and Household Chaos from Taking Over Your Life You Can Be Happy No Matter What: Five Principles for Keeping Life in Perspective