Start by marking “Freakonomics” as Want to Read:
Freakonomics

Freakonomics (Freakonomics #1)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  499,704 Ratings  ·  12,480 Reviews
Which is more dangerous, a gun or a swimming pool? What do schoolteachers and sumo wrestlers have in common? Why do drug dealers still live with their moms? How much do parents really matter? What kind of impact did Roe v. Wade have on violent crime?

These may not sound like typical questions for an economist to ask. But Steven D. Levitt is not a typical economist. He is a
Audio
Published April 12th 2005 by HarperAudio

Jim
Feb 24, 2008 Jim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics, candy
This was an interesting book. I say it was interesting because I started liking it (a lot) when I first read it, as time passed I liked it less and less. In that way I call it a candy book, tastes good at first but leaves you worse off for reading it.

In my opinion, there are two problems with the book: First, Stephen Dubner comes across as a sycophant. Way to much of the book is spent praising Levitt. Secondly, I was disappointed in the lack of detail provided about Livitt's hypothesis. I wante
Bobscopatz
Jul 18, 2007 Bobscopatz added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who know data
Yes, zero stars.

There is one segment of this book that reports use of a dataset I know very well -- the Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) data. From what details they put into the book, it's fairly clear that the researchers did not research the reliability of the data elements they chose to use from FARS. In particular, their analysis rests on the ability to identify uninjured children in vehicles that were involved in fatal crashes. FARS has data elements for this, but the reliability
Rachel
Jul 09, 2007 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Sure, this book was a compelling read that offered us all some great amo for cocktail party conversation. But ultimately I think most of what Leavitt claims is crap.

He dodges accoutability with the disclaimer about his book NOT being a scholarly work, but then goes on to drop statistics, theories and expert opinions. These assertions laid, he doesn't provide readers with enough information to critically examine his perspectives.

Ultimately I have a problem with the unquestioned, unaccoutable rol
Manny
I loved this book, though I think the title is a bit misleading. It's not really about economics. In fact, he's showing you what interesting things you can discover when you apply statistical analysis to problems where you wouldn't normally think of using it. I use statistical methods a fair amount in my own work, so I found it particularly interesting. The most startling and thought-provoking example is definitely the unexpected reduction in US urban crime that occurred towards the end of the 2 ...more
Andrew Muckle
Apr 01, 2011 Andrew Muckle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jesus H Tittyfucking Christ on a bike! Could these two tossers be any more smarmy and self indulgent? Levitt and Dubner and probably the kind of smart arse nerds who snigger at you because you don't understand linux but sneer at you because you've actually spoken to a woman.

This book is much like the Emperor's New Clothes, people are so scared about being left out if they don't like or understand it because some sandal wearing hippy in the Guardian said it's 'This year's Das Capital' or some su
Cwn_annwn_13
May 08, 2010 Cwn_annwn_13 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I assumed Freakonomics would be a book that used statistics to debunk various societal hysterias and fearmongering in a semi-humorous way. I quickly realized what I was in for when early in the book when the authors gave their background as Harvard Jews and profiled a guy that infiltrated the KKK for the ADL. The story sounds at least partially made up.

It then jumped into predictable white guilt inducing trash and goes into mental contortions using "data" and sociological explanations for black
Cbzlqxw
Sep 08, 2014 Cbzlqxw rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well,this is the most terrible book I have ever seen,it was too terrible to read.It’s so terrible that I just want to burn it as fast as I can,and it cost me 58RMB.That was 58RMB,it was to expensive for me to afford.At first.I thought it was a good book,and I spend all my money on this book.And I was pretty annoyed about this I don’t have any other money for my breakfast,lunch,and even dinner.I haven’t drink juice for the whole year.Reading this is a waste of time,no one want to see this book ag ...more
Justin
Jul 17, 2007 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People Who Appreciate the Value of Social Science
I guess some people don't like this book because it's not centered around one theme. Instead, it's more about the seemingly diffuse academic work of one of the authors Steven D. Levitt (the other author is a journalist, Stephen J. Dubner). Levitt is something of an economist but more like a social scientist using the tools of Microeconomics applied to other fields that happen to catch his interest (often having something to do with cheating, corruption, crime, etc.). In the back of the book he m ...more
Joe S
Dec 28, 2007 Joe S rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy Resistance while also enjoying their privileged position that allows them to Resist
Shelves: nonfiction
The most interesting part of this book was the introduction. Sad, but true.

Four stars for presentation. The prose is nearly invisible, which I suppose in this genre is preferable to the alternative. And the content is mildly interesting, in a "Huh. Wouldja look at that" sort of way, as though you saw a duck waddling through your back yard with jam on its head.

But insofar as it's meant to be the vehicle for a larger framework for viewing the world, this book is old news. You mean shit's connected
Natalie (weneedhunny)
The "experts are evil, have agendas, will trick you" talk got old real fast, especially when points are later being backed up with experts research. There's not enough discussion on the data itself, no distinction between quantitative and qualitative, and not enough discussion on the many flaws of data and how we analyze it. Pretty interesting how much he dislikes criminologists but then (if I remember correctly), only mentions the same one or two names over and over when giving examples of crim ...more
Niadwynwen Koch
Apr 01, 2015 Niadwynwen Koch rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this audiobook unbearable. I turned it off halfway through and listened to the public radio pledge drive instead.
Nov 02, 2015 Jennifer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sociology, cl
Yeah, this isn't 'rogue economics'. This is sociology. It's not a new discipline. And this is really spurious sociology that wouldn't pass muster in academia, so Levitt published it for public consumption.
Alena
Mar 24, 2015 Alena rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Everything I hate about popular science - alternating between over-simplified, patronising, naive or simply annoying, but worst of all, blatantly refusing to take account of the political and social implications of its findings, and being proud of it.
Erin Stephens
Aug 07, 2015 Erin Stephens rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly not something I would pick up if it wasn't for school. I didn't enjoy this book. It dragged on where it didn't need to and left me in the dust at times. Over all, don't read it unless you have to.
Peter Harrington
Apr 26, 2016 Peter Harrington rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I could give this book less then one star I would. I tried so very hard to finish reading this book full of BS facts but eventually got so tired of hearing things that just are not true but the author "claims" to be fact, that I quit reading it. I almost finished but couldn't do it in the end. Some of the things the author talks about seem like they could be truths but the majority of it is not. Don't waste your time.

Update: I don't recall the specifics as this was over a year ago that I "at
Patrick
Jun 02, 2013 Patrick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-waste-basket
I went all Fahrenheit 451 on this one.
Jake
Jul 09, 2008 Jake rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Basics:

Freakonomics isn’t really about any one thing, which makes it a bit hard to summarize. In essence, it’s economist Steven Levitt playing around with economic principles and basic statistical analysis to examine various cultural trends and phenomena. He tackles a variety of questions, from whether or not sumo wrestlers cheat (they do) to whether or not a child’s name determines his success (it doesn’t). He does this all through examining statistics and data, trying to find facts to back
Michael
Jul 23, 2015 Michael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Verbose, repetitive, contradictory: a book of 200-pages that could be condensed to 3-5 pages.

Titles that vary from scintillating to insulting, yet are followed by a chapter that doesn't support the title bar.

Anecdotal stories, mistaken for data or hypothesis. Interpretations and hypotheses are drawn from data that could still be interpreted in multiple ways.

The book claims that it will link the unexpected, but frankly, links the obvious, with many "well duh" moments.

Needless generations of lis
Cate
Sep 25, 2014 Cate rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In addition to allowing 1/2 stars, Goodreads really needs an "abandoned book" shelf.

I had to abandon ship on this one, I guess I'm too liberal/free thinking/whateveryoucallit to think that teacher's unions are bad, and if only poor black women could get abortions we'd be safer after dark.

I didn't stick around for the rest.
Sam
Mar 29, 2012 Sam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sheer Rubbish. This is an awful book, yes I read the whole thing, like bitter medicine to a toddler, and had to see what the fuss was about.

This Amazon review nails it. Here's my review/rant.

I'm reading this is 2012, maybe the hype in 2005 was different and people ate this kind of stuff up, even then I don't think we were that gullible at this time. There were good social science/stats books out there. This book pales in comparison to the works of Malcolm Gladwell and others.

Levitt is making
Red
Jun 22, 2011 Red rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is little more than Stephen Dubner jerking off Steven Levitt, but that's not why it's a 1-star read. here's why:

"Women's rights advocates... have hyped the incidence of sexual assault, claiming that one in three American women will in her lifetime be a victim of rape or attempted rape. (The actual figure is more like one in eight-but the advocates know it would take a callous person to dispute their claim.)"

In the Notes for this chapter:

"The 2002 statistics from the National Crime Surv
Vadassery Thaiparambil Rakesh
The apt name would have been F**konomics, for the book hovers around the passing of abortion bill in USA. How can somebody write a book of 200 pages out of nothing is a mystery to me. What intrigues me more is that many newspapers had wrote great things about this book, a perfect case of hype creating a best seller.
All gas no substance. And nothing to do with economics rather than some stupid black-white demographics and some obvious facts. Thank God, I'm through with this.
Name
Sep 10, 2014 Name rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This writer's name is totally a rubbish. Only a freak will have this name,from that,we can easily learn that the parents of the writer are stupid jerks,too.So sure that the family of him are all goddam stupids actually.That's why he becomes a unsuccessful writer.I wondered if why he isn't an asshole!actually he is,only that we don't admit.opps,it'ts truly a sad story.also,the books he wrote makes me sick.An animal will write a book like him actually.
Sean Gunning
Jan 27, 2015 Sean Gunning rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
complete bollocks, un-referenced 'studies' being used to back up their meandering and un thought out claims. should've been able to tell by the cover what type of 'book' this was.
Megan Thompson
Sep 18, 2015 Megan Thompson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is grueling. I give up.

I'm an artist, a designer, and a business owner. I've been thinking abstractly and questioning things my entire life. Perhaps I've been blessed to have been brought up by a family and community of teachers always urging me to challenge my thinking.

This mode of thinking is not unique to me and I find the writing style incredibly intolerable to follow. It's as if he just wrote out his thoughts as they were coming to him with no clear outline. I am very much in favo
Shitikanth Kashyap
I could not finish this book. It made me cringe twice on each of the hundred odd pages that I did force myself to read.

Would I recommend this book to you? If you don't know how people use statistics to detect fraud, go ahead and read this book. You will find it to be entertaining and informative. On the other hand, if you feel strongly about the difference between correlation and causality and already know what, say, Benford's law is, spare yourself the horror. You will find yourself reaching fo
Cherie Keller
This book is a good example of garbage in, garbage out. The demonstration of critical thinking is good on a superficial level. But that it where the good stuff ends. The background facts used to perform their logical analyses suffer from gaps in relevant facts to downright misinformation. Even worse is the impression given that the background research is astonishingly thorough and accurate. It is not. Don't take their word for it on anything. A quick Google search yields rebuttals from true expe ...more
Emily Hurley
Oct 22, 2007 Emily Hurley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i was totally unimpressed. i didn't even finish. i know people like this one, but something about the constant references to levitt's genius and "rogue-ish-ness" turned me off. if someone is brillian i think it should come across in their writing with out having to assert it in the introduction. oh! and the part at the beginning where he wonders how the homeless guy can afford headphones, and this is suppossed to be an example of how uniquely his mind works?! please.
Paulius
Mar 14, 2008 Paulius rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Carlos
Oct 14, 2013 Carlos rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Superficial, lleno de anécdotas y explicaciones enrevesadas sin ninguna base más allá de la correlación. Este es el nivel de la economía.

Hay un punto que resulta especialmente ofensivo: Levitt repite una y otra vez "ya sé correlación no es causa" y añade sistemáticamente "pero...", y da una explicación causal de libro. El análisis de regresión es llamado "una sofisticada herramienta de los economistas", que "permite controlar variables". Esto es la peor interpretación posible de la regresión, qu
Freakonomics 32 446 Mar 01, 2016 04:34PM
teachers' strike in Chicago 18 139 Mar 01, 2016 04:34PM
'Everyday' Freakonomics 3 46 Sep 23, 2015 10:43AM
  • Too Big to Fail: The Inside Story of How Wall Street and Washington Fought to Save the Financial System from Crisis — and Themselves
  • Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal
  • Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets
  • The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference
  • Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die
  • Armchair Economist: Economics & Everyday Life
  • The Mystery of Capital: Why Capitalism Triumphs in the West and Fails Everywhere Else
  • Microtrends: The Small Forces Behind Tomorrow's Big Changes
  • Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confusions of Our Time
  • Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions
  • The Logic of Life: The Rational Economics of an Irrational World
  • Basic Economics: A Citizen's Guide to the Economy
Steven David "Steve" Levitt is a prominent American economist best known for his work on crime, in particular on the link between legalized abortion and crime rates. Winner of the 2003 John Bates Clark Medal, he is currently the Alvin H. Baum Professor of Economics at the University of Chicago, director of the Becker Center on Chicago Price Theory at the University of Chicago Graduate School of Bu ...more
More about Steven D. Levitt...

Freakonomics (4 books)
  • SuperFreakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes And Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance
  • Think Like a Freak
  • When to Rob a Bank

“Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work, wheareas economics represents how it actually does work.” 142 likes
“The conventional wisdom is often wrong.” 59 likes