Beautiful Beast (Enchanted Fairytales, #1)

Beautiful Beast (Enchanted Fairytales #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  548 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Calli is cursed by her beauty.

Though she knows it's cruel, Calli agrees to accompany her friends to Monster House where it is rumored the beast howls at the moon each sunset. When she hears him for the first time, her heart is wrenched by the anguish she hears in the sound.

Facing trespassing charges for her folly, Calli is forced to move into Monster House where she is to...more
Published April 25th 2012

Beauty by Robin McKinleyLord of Scoundrels by Loretta ChaseBeastly by Alex FlinnLover Awakened by J.R. WardWhen Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James
Beauty and the Beast
176th out of 398 books — 861 voters
Beauty by Robin McKinleyBeastly by Alex FlinnRose Daughter by Robin McKinleyHeart's Blood by Juliet MarillierCruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
Best retellings of Beauty and the Beast
33rd out of 52 books — 142 voters

More lists with this book...

Azahara Arenas (Living in Our Own Story Blog)

Título: Beautiful Beast (Enchanted Fairytales #1)
Autor: Cindy C. Bennett
Sinopsis: Calli está maldecida por su belleza.
A pesar de que sabe que es cruel, Calli se compromete a acompañar a sus amigos a la Casa del Monstruo donde se rumorea que la bestia ruge a la luna cada puesta de sol. Cuando ella lo oye por primera vez, su corazón se retuerce por la angustia que escucha en el sonido.

Traspasando los límites de propiedad por su locura, Calli es forzada a mudarse en la Casa del Monstruo donde se h...more
Tamis
Amo a Cindy!
A pesar de ser una historia Corta es realmente bella y me encanta, ademas creo que siempre que leo solo refuerza mi opinion de que lo que verdaderamente importa es el corazon no el fisico ♥

description

El amor lo puede todo! lo se soy una romantica xD
Carla May
3.5 stars, rounded up to 4.

Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy-tale and I enjoy reading every retelling I can get. Some are wonderful. Others... not so much. Fortunately, "Beautiful Beast" is a version I am happy I took the time to read.

Bennett's story is a cross between Beastly by Alex Flinn and an adult paperback. No, no sex or anything inappropriate (the main characaters are teenagers), but it reminded me of a paperback in the sense that there is no magical happenings: just unfortunate,...more
Melissa Maxwell
Jenelle
It's official: nobody does broken souls finding redemption quite like Cindy Bennett.

You know why? Because she invokes love and hope, which is exactly what broken souls need, and let's be honest-- we're all broken at some point or another.

See, that's what I dislike about so many art-house films and lots of intellectual literature: that blatantly pessimistic view that life sucks and will always suck so just reconstruct your naive illusions of happiness and be satisfied with awful being the best...more
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
A very good remake of Beauty and the Beast

I was surprised with the length of this novel.. it's pretty darn short but it captured my attention. I finished this within two hours, actually. I love how truthful the story is. I mean, truthful in a way that the "beast" doesn't really become handsome again in the end.. but still, the "beauty" accepted him as he was.

I know some would say that this one's pretty predictable... but that's the thing about fairy tales (or in this case, a remake of a fairy...more
Vanessa

Beautiful Beast was a really great read. Cindy C. Bennett is a talented writer who based her story on Beauty and the Beast, but in my opinion she made it her own. I really like the way the characters change from beginning to end. The characterization is really great in this story and the setting descriptions made it a delight to read. I found myself caring for the two main characters very quickly and found them to be very interesting and dynamic. I also like the constant conflict betwee...more
Janine
The nice thing about this book is it's short so you can finish it in one day. The sad thing about this book is it's short so you can finish it in one day.

So this was a recommendation from a friend. What got me interested was that their take on this was to make the beast a burn victim. It's a modern retelling and more of a novella that is about 80 pages. What bothered me was that because it was so short I couldn't really experience it as much as I wanted to.

But dang it I totally loved Alex by the...more
Tiana411
Beauty and the beast is one of my favorite fairy tales. This is not a bad retelling but it wasn't the greatest. Maybe because it was a short novella it didn't seem to capture the story in depth. I've read another book by the author and know she's capable of so much more but this book felt like a book written by a new writer.
Right from the beginning I felt hesitation in continuing but since it was so short I had to finish. I don't like books where the author continues to TELL me how beautiful th...more
Liz Finney
I love fairy tales & this is such an endearing retelling of Beauty & the Beast. So fun!
Mandy
I can not even begin to say how much I loved this book!
Primero que nada, leyendo la sinopsis esperaba algo paranormal o cosas de ese estilo... Pero me sucedió algo extraño, él no es monstruo con todas las letras, es solo un joven atormentado por así decirlo.
Ella es bella, sí, pero pensé que habría más detrás de todo eso, digo me imaginé algo ...más con respecto a esa mención. O sea, ¿por qué lo menciona si el que sea bella no influye en nada el curso de la historia?

Es otro caso de sinopsis que no son tal como lo pintan.

De todas formas, me gustó. S...more
Valeria

Booooooooooring !!!
Stories&Verse *
" He knew her kiss that night meant nothing to her, that for her it was nothing more than a friend kissing a friend. But to Alex, it had sent him reeling."

"Beautiful Beast" is an original retelling of "Beauty and the Beast", depicting an unlikely happily ever after. Though "Beauty and the Beast is not my favorite fairytale, it was the title that drew me into reading this version...

Throughout the story Calli and Alex share kisses and cuddles that foreshadow an unlikely happily ever after. They s...more
Dena (Batch of Books)
This review is also on my blog: Books for Kids
Generally I'm not that fond of self published titles, but I've read some of Cindy Bennett's traditionally published work before and so I figured this was a pretty safe bet. I really enjoyed the contemporary take on the classic tale of Beauty and the Beast. It was very short and I read it in one sitting.

There were some elements to the story that I didn't find believable, but chose to overlook them. There were some grammatical issues that drove me a bi...more
Rea
*Incredibly* clunky start - to the point where I wondered whether I actually wanted to read this. It starts with Calli complaining about how beautiful she is, claiming it is her curse, but there is *nothing* given that would start to explain why this is a curse. She just had to be beautiful and aware of it.

The clunkiness carries on for a while, but when Calli moves into the house on this hill things start to improve. The slow growth of the friendship between the two characters was nice to read a...more
Tiffany Loves Books
Let me be honest. In my childhood I was one of those girly girls completely in love with fairytales. Pocahontas, Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, and yep you guessed it Beauty and the Beast were among my favorites. So you can already imagine my joy in being able to snuggle up to a modern interpretation of one of these fairytales.

So here's my take on Beautiful Beast: it is a short story that somehow manages not to feel like one. It has great character development and the storyline is also well s...more
Farah
A lovely re imagination for "Beauty and the Beast" , the book was so short yet it had so much emotions and beautiful people in it , I've read longer books that failed to deliver depth but this very short book was able to tell a beautiful story that had a lot of depth and real characters.

Calli is a sweet heart , she wasn't one of those unrealistic perfect heroines , she acted like a real person , she's not the beautiful girl who either loves herself too much or who doesn't think she's pretty w...more
Rebecca ♥ Kishan & Warner ♥
This was a sweet short story, even if it did remind me of Beastly way too much. But I guess that is unavoidable when they are both adapted from the same story. In this Calli and her friends sneak up to the mansion of the local freak to get a peak at him, but she gets caught, and in exchange for not pressing charges, the owner of the house wants her to stay and become friends with his son. Turns out that Alex is just a regular 17 year-old guy who was badly scarred in a fire. So Calli lives with t...more
Anna Marie
If you've read or watched 'Beastly', skip this. Because this is just a less stellar re-write.

I love 'Beauty and the Beast' stories, so when I saw this... at any rate, I really got angry at this book. Because it PISSES ME OFF so badly when only half of the disfigured dude's face is messed up. Because obviously, in literature, one can only be scarred/burned on half of one's face. It's the sign of a rotten, lousy writer, IMO, when I see that crap. Stupid, stoopid, StOopid...! And they always do tha...more
Gabs
3.5 stars.

This was such a nice novella! I was really impressed at how well developed it was. A lot of times novellas feel rushed, but this one had well thought out characters and it didn't feel rushed.

I thought it was a bit unrealistic to start, with the way that Winston gets Calli to come be Alex's friend. That's pretty much the only weak part of the book, though.

Calli and Alex's relationship is believable and very sweet. Alex in particular is a very well thought out character, and I thought t...more
Doreen
this is a modern retelling of beauty and the beast. though, it does not have any (view spoiler), the story generally follows the main points in the original story. it is a short book and their love story is a beautiful one. the beast, alex does resemble (view spoiler).
Roanne Araneta
At first I didn’t understand what this monster thing all about is. Since the story is modern and normal.

Alexander is human. He had an accident hence the disfigurement.

I honestly thought there’s some sort of magic involved here. I was kinda expecting Calli to kiss Alex and make him handsome again. That sort.

Why all the dramatics? Really. Even I wasn’t gripped with sadness when I learned about Alex’s story. How come Calli seemed to want to cry for him? Every freaking time. At mundane reasons. Path...more
Caro
Not bad, a non-magic retelling.

The only thing is, I felt we missed important thing in that 4 month jump. We were just seeing them sort of liking each other, and then we jump and they're friends and all. I wish he had been shown that change, more than told. At least for those 4 months. The rest was good.
Bayan Basri
I still cant comprehend how such a short book can hold so much meaning.
The narrative was beautiful and humorous. Calli is such a simple character but is very wise and easy going and isnt vain or self centered because of her beauty, I really loved that about her. Alex is a beautiful person if one looked deep enough, which really isn't that deep. But people sadly care an awful lot about looks, and made him believe that he is a monster. Winston-Alex's father-may seem like a bad guy at first. But he...more
☆♥☆Katrin★♡★
5/14/14
OHHH BEAUTY AND THE BEAST RETELLING?

**JUST BOUGHT IT**
Lathoniel
One of my favorite retellings of the beauty and the beast tale so far
My Book Friend
Beautiful Beast was an easy, literally beautiful read to get through. It was like a breath of fresh air. Due to the fact that this is a short story, everything moved at a much faster pace than other novels do- and that means that all of that horrible drama that every book has was much shorter, and almost enjoyable. When I finished, I was happy with the ending, and I was able to move on with my life. If you are looking for something ground-breaking, this is not you book at the moment but if you w...more
Jannat Bhat ( Obsessive Compulsive Reader)
Beautiful Beast is a short story that somehow manages not to feel like one. It has great character development and the storyline is also well set up and well developed. The characters felt real and I in particularly really liked Calli. She was strong and stubborn yet sweet, funny and humble. Alex is haunted by his past and his story is sad and turns out to be pretty heartwarming. The romance between these two was quite beautiful as was their friendship.
I would recommend this read to those of yo...more
Angie
Nice retelling. Not too long, just right.
  • Cinderella (Faerie Tale Collection, #4)
  • The Eye of the Beholder
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • A White So Red
  • The Cold King
  • Shards of the Glass Slipper: Queen Cinder (Shards of the Glass Slipper, #1)
  • A McCree Christmas (Chasing McCree, #1.2)
  • The Curse Girl
  • Dragon Rose (Tales of the Latter Kingdoms, #2)
  • The Cinderella Moment
  • Stone Prison (Twisted Tales, #1)
  • Mrs. Beast: A Novel
  • The Name of the Game
  • Me & Timothy Cooper
  • Sleeping Beauty: Vampire Slayer (Twisted Tales, #2)
Cindy C Bennett was born and raised in beautiful Salt Lake City, growing up in the shadows of the majestic Rocky Mountains. She lives with two daughters, and three dogs. She also has two sons and two daughters-in-law. She volunteers her time working with teen girls between the ages of 12-18, all of whom she finds to be beautiful, fascinating creatures. When she’s not writing, reading or answering...more
More about Cindy C. Bennett...
Heart on a Chain Geek Girl Rapunzel Untangled Immortal Mine Red and the Wolf (Enchanted Fairytales, #2)

“She slid her arms around his ribs, laying her cheek against his wounded back, splaying her fingers across his ribs. He stilled beneath her touch, and then ran his hands across her arms, threading his fingers through hers.
"Do you still think I'm beautiful?" he asked.
"Even more than I did before," she said.”
3 likes
“I love you," she whispered.
"And I love you," he said, kissing her. "Calli, you saved me."
"What?"
"If you hadn't come into my life, I'd have lived the rest of my miserable existence holed up in my room, raging at the moon every night. I haven't felt the need to do that for almost as long as I've known you. You tamed the beast. You saved me"
"And you saved me back," she said, kissing him again.”
2 likes