Start by marking “Purly Gates” as Want to Read:
Purly Gates

Purly Gates

A lonely stretch of beach becomes a hiding place for two men who, when their paths cross, are determined not to be ships just passing in the night.

Purlman “Purly” Gates—dark, brooding, mysterious, hiding from his past and the hefty price on his head—is hopelessly attracted to the young man who strolls the beach every morning. At the risk of his own exposure and its deadly
Published April 24th 2012 by LIG Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Purly Gates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Purly Gates

Simsala
The ending....Goddammit! For a short moment I really thought...my poor heart!
That was - hands down - the best m/m romance novella that I`ve ever read! The dreamlike quality of the writing made goosebumps galore...two men and their dark past,the beach,the sea,two dogs and Beethoven...low on smut but what an intense,beautiful romance.
The blurb is vague and I will leave it at that.Better to dive into the story without knowing too much about it...just read it!

Highly recommended!
Vio
Sims lovely review sums it up perfectly. An amazing debut with so many beautiful poignant moments and a few gut wrenching ones as well. A story to treasure because it hits you like a ton of bricks in ways you don't expect. Lucky and Purly they are a wonderful messed up pair, perfect for each other loved them to bits even though I did have a brief "gasp" moment near the end. Awesome it hit all the right buttons for me!
Ami
Feels like a bit of 'a party pooper' here, among the other positive reviews *embarrassed*

Let's see ... title wise, intriguing. Story wise, intriguing as well -- especially since it is written in such way that readers are only given tidbits of clues about who the two men are. When it is finally unraveled, their stories are quite touching.

Chemistry with the writing style wise --- well, this is when I hit the bump. Although the words can be lyrical, but I'm constantly annoyed with the emphasis of t
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.25*
Two damaged guys, a lot of their issues and damage is of their own making and life choices.
They find each other at a time in life where they need someone and are ready to change, literally have to change the course of their life if they are going to continue living.
It is poignant and touching, but I missed just a bit more time between the MCs. I guess because of what's happened and where he is going he is ready to accept this part of himself and Lucky appeals to his need to protect and car
Feliz
Apr 30, 2012 Feliz rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, historical, sweet
This book was very interesting, from its original, wickedly ingenious title over the lyrical writing and beautiful prose to the well-drawn characters. Considering how short it is, the story created an impressive amount of atmosphere. However, the plot in itself was just the same old insta-love and the ending....sorry Sims...that was just over the top. Sweet, admittedly, and the good kind, not the toothache kind, but still.
Blacky *Romance Addict*
This was a nice little read :) Although, I was very dissapointed, the first 40% of the book was excellent (5 stars for sure!), but then came the part where they talked about their pasts, and it all became so incredibly mushy and sweet and gooey and a million similar expressions Photobucket for those who like mushy, you'll absolutely LOVE this book. Me? I don't. So the ending didn't work for me. Too bad, because it was beautifully written, love the style of the author :)

Best scene: Well all of them up till
S.A.
Apr 29, 2012 S.A. rated it it was amazing
This is just glorious.

The author has captured the 'feel' of the era so beautifully. Reading this novella was like settling down on the settee on a rainy Sunday afternoon to watch an old black and white film. I could see the light and shadow, hear the soundtrack and the characters' voices.

Atmospheric, lyrical, beautiful.

I can't wait to read more from Ms. Bondurant.

And, yes, the cover art is perfect.
Leaundra
Apr 26, 2012 Leaundra rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this short story. Reading it I kept wondering what they both were running from, which made me keep reading to find out of course:-). Purly and Lucky both had danger in the air around them but I still thought they were very sweet together and that fate put them both there to meet.... ps...The cover is beautiful!!
Candice
Apr 29, 2012 Candice rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story.
Nina
guess i'm the odd one out here, huh?
well, it was good. the plot was interesting, the characters intriguing, the setting fascinating. but, but, but.
i think this could have easily been a full-length novel. this way i could have gotten to know more about the mcs' background and their personality. (how did lucky get to be so naive? well, naive. say more like stupid. he doesn't have the basics of logical reasonings. you think you deserved being carved out like a christmas turkey? dude, lionel was a m
C.L.
Jul 19, 2013 C.L. rated it it was amazing
Excellent story. The characters were engaging, kept this reader turning the page, figuratively speaking of course. Set in the 1930s, I believe, so it has a noir feel to it. A time when men kept their inner feelings of desire that wasn't considered the "norm." Very well handled. We get to know them...we connect...enough said, no spoilers. Read the book.
Sadonna
Aug 19, 2012 Sadonna rated it really liked it
Really liked this historical novella. I enjoyed the way the story captured the two men and the era. Lucky and Purly spend a bit of time dancing around each other and it turns out they are each more than meets the eye. As we read on, the layers of their lives are revealed. I really liked the unexpected twists and turns the story took. And the ending - well - just read it.
Veronica /  V
Mar 18, 2013 Veronica / V rated it really liked it
Because this book is setting in 1930(NO ONE TOLD ME)I was going to stop reading it, I'm not very fond of that kind of books, luckily I wasn't stupid and I keep reading.
Mind you, I nearly had a heart attack nearly at the end, and my brain was screaming I knew, I knew it !!! I shouldn't be reading this story.
Luckily I was wrong, again.
Wonderful short story, and yes wonderful ending.
Gypsum
Aug 25, 2012 Gypsum rated it did not like it
Although I don't like to leave negative reviews in this instance I felt I had to provide a little bit of balance to all the positive reviews.

*Spoilers follow*

This book is not at all well written. The author is clearly operating under the assumption that if you write with a thesaurus at your side and every now and again throw in a 'posh' word, your writing will look clever and literary. It doesn't, it just looks like you write with a thesaurus at your side. And it really doesn’t help when you don
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
Jun 07, 2012 Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, 1930
4 Hearts

First published at MM Good Book Reviews

Purly is a man in hiding. He has done things, in his past, that people want him to pay for and if they catch up with him…well, then he is a dead man. But, while staying at the beach, he sees a man every morning, but fights his attraction for him. Lucky is also in hiding and every morning he passes a man standing on his deck smoking a cigarette, he finds the man attractive and is trying to find a way to speak t
Lou Sylvre
Jun 25, 2012 Lou Sylvre rated it it was amazing
What Vastine Bondurant gives readers in is the story of two men, Purly and Lucky, so removed from the world at large that they and the remote beach they roam seem insubstantial, ghostly. At first only Lucky's two beautiful dogs semed to me to anchor them to the mundane world. But with bits and pieces of back story, and stirrings of desire, and physicalities--even a near-drowning, Bondurant builds her men into flesh and bone. Lets them touch. Lets them fall in love when hardly any words have ...more
Elisa Rolle
Nice, short novella almost lost in time. The time is actually the ’30, and I think the author picked this time to give both an allure than a feeling of being outlaws to the characters.

Purly and Lucky meet in an isolated beach in California. After days spent looking at each other without interacting, a chance event allow them to officially meet. The target of both men is clear, they are men loving men, and they want to share an intimate moment and nothing else. But nothing is simple, and both Pur
Sarah Lee
May 21, 2012 Sarah Lee rated it it was amazing
Purly Gates is a good story. The characters are wonderfully depicted, the manuscript well-written and the unfolding story well-told. Set in the days of Valentino, it's refreshing to read a gay romance story with imperfect characters who have to live with the obstacles of the time period and their own personal hurdles. Purly and Lucky made one of the best love stories I've ever read. Kudos!
Meggie
May 17, 2012 Meggie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shorts, romance
Hm at the start, I was asking myself, how could Purly know the specific colour from Lucky green eyes, if they never actually talked with each-other, except for a short time each day, glanced at each other from afar. It was a bit, yeah... sure... But otherwise I liked it.
Saylor Dupin
May 22, 2012 Saylor Dupin rated it it was amazing
I love the way Vastine Bondurant writes retro m/m romance. Strong characters and an interesting story! I wanted more!
Sharon
May 04, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it
Just wonderful....
Dolors
Apr 30, 2012 Dolors rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Page Crusherz
Aug 14, 2012 Page Crusherz rated it really liked it
very short but fun to read.
Julie Hayes
Sep 30, 2012 Julie Hayes rated it it was amazing

"Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never the same." Unknown

It isn’t love at first sight, so what the hell is it?

Purlman ‘Purly’ Gates desires what he cannot have and shouldn’t want. So he does nothing about it, other than watch from a distance as the object of his desire passes by on his daily perambulation along the beach, with his two canine companions. But Purly watches him with a white hot intensity that threatens to engulf him, waiting for a sign f
Heather C
I recently discovered Vastine Bondurant’s writing a few months ago when I read and LOVED Glory Lands; and ever since then, Purly Gates has been high up on my TBR list.

I not going to go into much detail on the plot here, its already beautifully expressed in the blurb. (This review will be short as I can not say much about it without spoiling everything.)

What you NEED to know:

This is a historical set in the summer of 1930 America.

This does not feel like a historical since it takes place entirely o
Kathy
May 22, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it
4.5 of 5
Purly Gates hearkens back to an era before my time, but even so the story, the characters, are timeless. And for me that is what sets apart a terrific storyteller from a good storyteller; Vastine Bondurant, in my estimation, is the former.

There's a poignancy to Purly and Lucky's story but there's also an extremely satisfying romance that reverberates with passion and emotion.
Vastine Bondurant has nailed the atmosphere of the time in which the story is set; in many ways it's a simpler ti
Intricacy Alterite
Jan 08, 2014 Intricacy Alterite rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-read
The beginning of the story is very intrguing and the settings are quite well described. However, the second half of the story feels rushed and goes into way less depth into the characters, and that's a pity as it is when their relationship develop, and we almost never see it. The flashbacks are nice in that they give a lot of information, but they hinder the story in that they cut the reader off the other character's reactions.
I feel like this story had a lot of potential and didn't necessarily
Anna
I do see that many of you out there loved this story, why I wonder? It’s not bad, but to me it feels forgettable. I’ve had it on my to-read shelf for a long time because I wanted to read about the traumatized MC, seems all he needed was someone to hold him in the night and then everything was splendid. I don’t know, I wanted more dept. How many hours were the characters given to develop their relationship? Felt like they just met, decided that they were in love, and one sob story later it was ...more
Antonella
Mar 24, 2014 Antonella rated it liked it
3.5

Above average. I did enjoy it, but the second part of it was decidedly too sweet. And insta-love is a pet peeve of mine.
Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
Sep 03, 2013 Wendy ~M/M Junkie~ rated it liked it
Shelves: source-calibre
I enjoyed this story. I only wish it were longer. It wasn't steamy at all but the characters certainly had the passion for it. I will try another title by this author in the future.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Well Traveled (Gideon and Jedediah, #1)
  • Roses in the Devil's Garden (Fallen Rose, #1)
  • Whistle Pass
  • Bonds of Earth
  • Secret Light
  • Fall Into the Sun (Alejo and Bobby, #1)
  • If It Ain't Love
  • Hidden Away
  • Allegiance: A Dublin Novella
  • Broken (Broken #1)
  • Baymore's Heir (In the Company of Men, #3)
  • Convincing Arthur (London Legal, #1)
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • The Station
  • Inspiration
  • According To Hoyle
  • The Red King
  • Duet
I’m Texas born and raised, an old fashioned, bling-loving girly girl. I love to read and write stories of men and women and the sizzling chemistry that draws them together. Passion. My heart is helplessly bound to romance of a time long gone- gritty, sexy stories of men in fedoras and overcoats. Old Spice Aftershave, Lucky Strike cigarettes, fancy cuff links, hair pomade, mobsters. Clandestine ...more
More about Vastine Bondurant...