Start by marking “The Toy Sorcerer (Ancient Knowledge, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Toy Sorcerer (Ancient Knowledge, #1)

The Toy Sorcerer (Ancient Knowledge, #1)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Trapped as a mortal in a dimension where human dreams become reality, Alice Towers endures a journey of unmerciful persecution and excruciating self-discovery. Guided by an extraordinary realm creature named Shammerwack, she must find Magog; a boy imprisoned for over three centuries who holds the key to her release.

Unaware that her incarceration heralds the dawn of the Fin
ebook, Smashwords Edition, 377 pages
Published November 28th 2011 by Lobo Publishing (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Toy Sorcerer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Toy Sorcerer

Katy
Dec 11, 2012 Katy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy
Recommended to Katy by: LibraryThing
Book Info: Genre: Fantasy/Wiccan-based
Reading Level: This one is difficult to define, and if younger readers are interested, they should know they will need a dictionary nearby and that there is some profanity and obscenity and quite a lot of violence. I would say readers as young as 12 might enjoy it if these things are understood, yet adults will also find a lot to enjoy.

Disclosure: I received a free ebook copy (via Smashwords) through the LibraryThing Members Giveaways in exchange for an hon
Alyssia
The first and best word I can think of to describe this book: epic.

When authors attempt to self-identify as writers of "epic fantasy" I generally scoff - but this book succeeded. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

This read like a mixture of Alice in Wonderland and the Chronicles of Narnia, with some heavy archetypes, some wonderfully bizarre and original characters and a moving plot that, you know, mattered.

It was refreshing to read a book where the "love" was understated and tentative, but still obvio
⚝  Ŧáẅņá ⚝
The star rating is solely based on my personal enjoyment of this novel. It has nothing to do with the writing style or the very good story that was weaved. I did not read this whole book cover to cover, after reading it straight for about 25% I started skipping around and I also read the last few chapters, so cumulatively I read about 50% of the book.

The Story
Two realms, Earth and the Dream Realm. A witch and a young girl from the Earth realm and many characters in the Dream Realm. This young gi
Bieke {Istyria book blog}
Review is also posted on my blog: Bookaddict Bieke.

Well, this was different. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. The Toy Sorcerer is an original story that has a Alice in Wonderland-vibe to it. Too bad I was never a fan of that story, but I kind of liked this version of it. The story is well-crafted and it's written pretty good too, but I had a hard time getting through it. I had to force myself to continue reading the book. Once I was reading I got through it pretty quick bu
Holly
Apr 26, 2012 Holly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy lovers
Recommended to Holly by: Read it and Reap
This book intrigued me for most of the time. I started to really like Alice because of the way that her brother and mother have died, and being crippled, she still doesn't really argue and she doesn't give up. This has also occurred when she was in the Dream Realms. Oh, and SHAMMERWACK!! Now who doesn't love him? I might not listen to him a whole lot, but he was so loving and caring towards Alice. The whole time Alice was in the realms, it was just more and more adventure for her. I truly loved ...more
J.R. Barker
This book contains spells, potions, incantations, gods, goddesses, elementals, talking animals, flying horses, witches and, of course, witchcraft; the religious sort of witchcraft with gods and elementals, not the fantasy sort of witchcraft with wands and brooms.
There are so many aspects to the book that it’s a wonder that the author managed to stitch it all together. But she did, and she did it well.

As a result it took me a while to write an adequate review of this book.

The main thing that str
Shelly
This is a book that I appreciated rather than enjoyed, kind of how I feel about Shakespeare. The Toy Sorcerer is sure to be a hit with fantasy and fairy tale lovers.

The language in The Toy Sorcerer is amazing. I wanted to get lost in some of the descriptions. I hadn't encountered some of these words since taking the SAT, GRE, or maybe grad school; therefore, it may be written for an older reader or one with a more advanced vocabulary. It may even be a piece of literature (or sections of it) tha
Chris Parker
The Toy Sorcerer is a grand epic of a story. If I had to pigeon-hole it, I would say it's Narnia meets Alice-In-Wonderland meets Tolkein. I'm full of admiration for anyone who can pull off such an ambitious project, and Laura Hart has done it very well.
The writing style is accomplished and smooth. The language is extremely rich, meaning I would recommend it to stronger teen readers and adults. At times it surprises the reader by suddenly snapping to graphic depictions of horror or violent events
Camille Cusumano
The Toy Sorcerer is rich—in language, plot, characters, and especially imagination. Reading the 435-page fantasy is like going on an archaeological dig and finding remnants of Lewis, Tolkein, and Orwell, all admittedly influences on Hart's work, who writes about her "voracious appetite" for those writers and for Carrol's Alice in Wonderland. She explains how her "imagination swelled under master tutelage." Nor will you be surprised, after reading The Toy Sorcerer, to hear Hart say, "my own dream ...more
Nigel
Thoroughly recommend this book, superb read. The characters, fully formed and believable. The plot worthy of Tolkien. The ending leaves the reader reaching for the second volume. For sure an author to follow.
Mike Schnurr
I thought this book was a very good book. The plot was interesting and characters too. I don't have much to complain about. Anyone interested should read this book.
Anthony Prouse
A beautifully written book, a feast for lovers of the English language and full of topical twists and turns. Had to read the whole thing in one hit! brilliant.
William Bentrim
The Toy Sorcerer by Laura Hart

I got a distinct feel of Alice in Wonderland when reading this. I was relieved to see in the forward (which I usually read afterward don’t ask me why since I have no idea) that another reviewer saw it as an Alice in Wonderland tribute.

Alice is physically challenged due to an accident. She and her Dad move to a quaint country cottage to escape their past. She meets and is befriended by the delightful elderly lady and her Jack Russell terrier who live down the land.
Andrew Anderson
Andrew Anderson marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Rydrake
Rydrake marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Megan Lillian
Megan Lillian marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Judy Baker
Judy Baker marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2013
Elisa Walker-hall
Elisa Walker-hall marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2013
Karley
Karley marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2013
Nevey Badr
Nevey Badr marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2012
Gwenn
Gwenn marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2012
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2012
Sandra Marie
Sandra Marie marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2012
Q&A with Laur...: So what do you think? 2 4 Feb 23, 2012 01:24PM
Q&A with Laur...: Inspiration 20 7 Feb 22, 2012 12:44PM
Q&A with Laur...: Introduce yourself 10 5 Feb 21, 2012 12:29PM
Young Adult Reads: First giveaway 1 22 Feb 16, 2012 12:39PM
Born in Birmingham UK in 1962, I almost immediately developed into a hyperactive demon. My mother taught me to read when I was about four; I assume to try and distract me from drawing on the walls. She placed a bookcase outside my bedroom door and I was instructed to read when I awoke before dawn. By the time I was eight I’d enjoyed all the children’s classics from Janet and John to Robinson Cruso ...more
More about Laura Hart...
The Final Prophecy (Ancient Knowledge, #2)