Start by marking “B is for Buckeye: An Ohio Alphabet” as Want to Read:
B is for Buckeye: An Ohio Alphabet

B is for Buckeye: An Ohio Alphabet (Discover America State by State)

Did you know that Ohio is called "The Mother of Presidents" for the eight United States Presidents born there? Or, that 23 astronauts -- the most of any state -- are from Ohio? These and more amazing facts are revealed in "B is for Buckeye," a must-have for every Ohioan (from Ulysses S. Grant to John Glenn)! Brilliant illustrations by Bruce Langton and fascinating text by ...more
Published October 9th 2000 by Sleeping Bear Press

To ask other readers questions about B is for Buckeye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about B is for Buckeye

Melody
Sep 17, 2011 Melody rated it it was ok
The poetry is not particularly inspired. It's actually kind of clunky. And I was surprised to find that the whole state of Ohio did not hold one illustrator competent to make drawings for this book, so they went to Wisconsin to find someone. C'mon, if you are going to write a book about how awesome Ohio is, the least you could do is to have a home-grown illustrator.

Overall it's a book full of facts that are presented in a fairly pedestrian way. The illustrations involving wildlife are head and
Memory Kopp
Mar 26, 2014 Memory Kopp rated it really liked it
This is a fun booked packed full of information on our great state of Ohio. The author Marcia Schonberg was born and raised in Ohio and graduated from The Ohio State University so she is truly a real buckeye. She does work for The Ohio Historical Society and helped publish a book called Marking Ohio’s History so she is very qualified to present us with the facts she does in B is for Buckeye. The illustrator Bruce Langton is very well accomplished with his oil, acrylic and watercolor and his wild ...more
Jordan Brown
Mar 24, 2014 Jordan Brown rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-etl-2368
B Is For Buckeye: An Ohio Alphabet
Author: Marcia Schonberg
Reading level: ages 7-10

Schonberg, Marcia (2000) B Is For Buckeye: An Ohio Alphabet Ann Arbor, Michigan: Sleeping Bear Press

This book is a clever, mature, and informational approach to ABC's. It's a tad wordy and technical; however, with proper guidance from a teacher or parent, I feel beginning readers can enjoy the book. This book is engaging and informative, and taught me some things I never new about Ohio.

The illustrations are crisp,
Gina Diloreto
Apr 12, 2014 Gina Diloreto rated it it was amazing
Schonberg, M. "B is for buckeye: an ohio alphabet". (2000). Chelsea, MI: Sleeping Bear Press.

I loved this book! Many unique state facts. Contains catchy snippets of facts on the main part of the page, with more in depth facts along the margins. There is a 'Basket of Buckeyes' list of more facts on the last page. This book could be used for children as young as 3 or 4, who are learning their abc's, or for grade school age children. Could be incorporated into a lesson on Ohio History.
Courtney
Apr 13, 2014 Courtney rated it liked it
Shelves: edutl-2368
Schonberg, M. B is for Buckeye: An Ohio Alphabet. Sleeping Bear Press (2000).

This picture book describes different interesting facts about the state of Ohio, by using the letters of the alphabet.

While this is an ABC book, the information and facts in the book make the reading level ages 4-8. Older students will find the facts about Ohio interesting and can be used when the history of Ohio is studied. This a great book to have for both beginners and older students.
Kevin Cecil
Oct 12, 2011 Kevin Cecil rated it did not like it
I had to read this during the Social Studies portion of a Life Skills class I was subbing for. Each letter introduces a short poem on some glorifying Ohio factoid: A is for astronauts because a lot of astronauts are from Ohio, P is for presidents for the same reason, J is for Johnny Appleseed because he, like, was totally in Ohio once! The art is uninspired, as are the poems, and the expository side captions lack focus and are written like summaries of a half remembered Encyclopedia entry. I als ...more
WKWyverns
4K got this first.
Cathy aka The Attached Mama
I've lived in the buckeye state most of my life, but even I learned a lot about the state of Ohio from this book. The kids and I traveled the state visiting most of the places mentioned in this book. What a fun way to learn some state history!!
Westerville
Mar 18, 2010 Westerville rated it it was amazing
Marisa says, "Very cool non-fiction all about our great state. Could easily be read with just rhyming text for a program. Additional facts on each page create a richer experience."
Marisa
Mar 13, 2010 Marisa rated it it was amazing
Heather
Jan 14, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book for Ohio studies learning. We used it for homeschool and found it to be very informative for children and adults!
Theresa
Aug 10, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
pictures, history, facts, information and ideals about ohio
Donna Bork cook
Donna Bork cook rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2016
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2016
OS
OS rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
LP
LP rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Jsbella
Jsbella rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
Cassie
Cassie marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Daniela
Daniela rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Rhonda Kay
Rhonda Kay rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2015
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

Discover America State by State (5 books)
  • "A" is for Aloha: A Hawai'i Alphabet (Discover America State By State. Alphabet Series)
  • B Is for Buckaroo: A Cowboy Al
  • M is for Mount Rushmore: A South Dakota Alphabet (Discover America State By State Alphabet Series)
  • H is for Hawkeye: An Iowa Alphabet (Discover America State By State Alphabet Series)