The Seventh Swan

The Seventh Swan

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The background of this tale of adventure is 16th century Scotland, in the Highlands of the clan feuds and cattle-reiving days, and it has a sinister undertone of witchcraft and sorcery. Most of us are familiar with Hans Christian Anderson's great story, The Wild Swans, but how many have wondered what happened to the youngest, the one whose shirt was not finished, the one w...more
Paperback
Published by Ace Books (first published January 1st 1962)

robyn
Once upon a time... seven brothers were doomed to fly as wild swans during the day, and return to their natural form at night. They were saved by their sister, who wove shirts out of stinging nettles, but was unable to finish one sleeve of the last shirt, and so the youngest brother was left with a swan's wing. End of story. Except for the youngest brother, of course.

This is a children's story, but with an adult sense of consequences and prices to be paid. I was young when I read it, and it was...more
Joy Everafter
The traditional fairy story ended with the mute Queen succeeding in freeing her brothers from their swan forms by throwing them the nettle shirts she had made with her bare hands. Because she had been condemned to die, she could wait no longer, so the last brother's shirt was unfinished and he was left with a swan's wing forever. Of course this showed she had been virtuous all along and everyone lived happily ever after.

Mr Gray is the only one who worries about the fate of that seventh, youngest...more
Arlene Allen
I loved this absolutely wrenching re-telling of the Wild Swans/Seventh Swan. This was part of a wonderful fantasy series primarily aimed at teens in the early 1980s - back when teen fantasy was more than chaste vampires and boys in magic schools.
Kathryn
What little I remember of this book was...oddly unsatisfying. It started with a great premise: after the fairy tale of "The Seven Swans" ended, whatever happened to the one prince who's shirt wasn't finished? He wound up with a swan's wing instead of an arm, but nothing more was ever said about him.

Well the book tries to answer this, but it fell flat because I just couldn't care about the characters. The prince with the swan's wing was bitter and miserable and kind of a whiner through the whole...more
Nikki
This book had an interesting idea. The story of the seven swans, and one at the end who still has a swan's arm... I can't remember any origin or location for this story, originally, but it's interesting that this version seems to be set in Scotland. It's odd, though, because there's a very feudal system, with clan wars and sieges and so on, but as well as swords there are guns... It seems a little anachronistic, although, heh -- I never got on well with history, certainly not with the little det...more
Mary Miller
I love books that are retelling of fairy tales and the variations on the swan stories are among my favorites. "The Seventh Swan" takes the end of the story as its jumping off point. Set in the highlands of Scotland in the late 1600's (another point in its favor for me), the author asks what happened to the brother whose wing was not completely transformed? His sister, now happily married and talking, decides to seek help for him.
But something happens as the story goes on. The characters develop...more
Thomas
This is one of my favorite books of my youth. I recall reading it over and over more than any other book in my collection. There's something about the main heroine that's endearing and sweet, which the world she inhabits is dark. The balance of the two reads nicely, which the "seventh swan" has a nature that's both unlikable and yet not unattractive.

However, I tried reading it as an adult a few years ago and couldn't quite make it through the entire thing. I loved it years ago, but don't care fo...more
Kate Forsyth
Oh I loved this book so much! Nicholas Stuart Gray is truly a magical writer. I loved his books as a child and I think I love him even more as an adult, because he writes in such an effortlessly enchanting way, and I know now just how difficult that is. I’ve wanted to read this book for many years and at last ordered it over the internet – I’m so glad I did. It makes me want to track down more of his books.
Ariel
A fantasy adventure about an enchanted boy who pities himself overmuch, set in fairytale Scotland. Shot through with moonlight magic as one might expect from the author of GRIMBOLD'S OTHER WORLD, one of my favorite childhood reads.
Ruth
I really liked this one a lot when I was a kid. It's an old-school fantasy about a guy with the arm of a swan, the result of a spell gone wrong.
Lydia
Really liked this and would recommend it. I love all things Celtic and old fashioned children's books so it is perfectly suited to me!
The Fairy Godmother
Based on The Wild Swans.
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
CrimsonFlamez
CrimsonFlamez marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Roxy Hart
Roxy Hart marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Michaila
Michaila marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Beth
Beth added it
Apr 18, 2014
Khanh Nguyen
Khanh Nguyen marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Nicholas Stuart Gray (23 October 1922, Scotland - 17 March 1981) was a British actor and playwright, perhaps best known for his work in children's theatre in England. He was also an author of children's fantasy; he wrote a number of novels, a dozen plays, and many short stories. Neil Gaiman has written that Gray "is one of those authors I loved as a boy who holds up even better on rereading as an...more
More about Nicholas Stuart Gray...
Grimbold's Other World The Stone Cage The Apple Stone Mainly in Moonlight Over The Hills To Fabylon