Start by marking “Pushback: How Smart Women Ask--and Stand Up--for What They Want” as Want to Read:
Pushback: How Smart Women Ask--and Stand Up--for What They Want

Pushback: How Smart Women Ask--and Stand Up--for What They Want

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  163 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Popular leadership blogger gives the low-down on standing up for yourselfIn "Pushback," top leadership consultant Selena Rezvani argues that self-advocacy is critical to success. Yet women initiate negotiations four times less often than men, resulting in getting less of what they want--promotion opportunities, plum assignments, and higher pay. This book shines a light on ...more
Hardcover, 1, 224 pages
Published April 10th 2012 by Wiley, John & Sons, Incorporated (first published March 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Pushback, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pushback

Robin
Dec 31, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much of the information in this book I learned through Managing Up, Negotiation and Emotional Intelligence courses, however Pushback:How Smart Women Ask--Stand Up--For What They Want pulls it all together with interviews with women executives, psychological and executive research findings and practical methods to prepare for negotiations or difficult conversations.

This book is aimed to women who are interested in moving up in their career. Selena Rezvani, author and leadership blogger sums it up
Jaclyn Day
Feb 22, 2016 Jaclyn Day rated it it was amazing
I've read dozens and dozens of books on business, workplace behavior, advancing in the workplace, navigating the professional world as a woman, learning to be a productive working mother--and the list goes on. But none of them have come close to the searing, thought-provoking, and actionable content in this book.

I started dog-earing pages early and ended up folding over the corners of nearly every single page. There are constant gems: some you can use today, some you will use tomorrow, some you
Word Owl
Jul 08, 2014 Word Owl rated it liked it
None of the information was exactly new or surprising, nevertheless it was a great, practical read. ...more
Tracey Axnick
Oct 21, 2014 Tracey Axnick rated it really liked it
10/21/2014
I went out and picked up the hard copy of the book - I simply felt it HAD to be better than the audio version. And guess what? It was!
The book is well structured and has some excellent ideas. I enjoyed it very much, and recommend it for any woman in the workplace. However, I can't recommend the audio version - try as I might, I just couldn't get past the narrator's grating and sarcastic voice and delivery.

7/24/2014
Tried listening to this title via Audible but the narrator had a dread
Tanya Tokareva
I liked the interviews with women executives part, however most of the book was about the basics of negotiations which is useful but not what I expected to get out of this book.
Lucas
Jul 24, 2015 Lucas rated it really liked it
Interesting and useful information and perspective on business, negotiation, and one's career.
Jennie Morton
Aug 27, 2015 Jennie Morton rated it it was amazing
Practical, no-nonsense, straightforward advice. Skips over the "why" women and men are different in the workplace and cuts right to empowering women to be more vocal and active. Unlike other books of this nature, where you really have to work hard to translate the advice for non-executive positions, this is full of great tips that could be used for any professional exchanges.
Desi
Oct 05, 2012 Desi rated it it was amazing
There are books out there on women and negotiation and some are better than others- consider this one in the "better" category. Using her research of women executives from different industries, the author identifies why we need to negotiate and what's at stake if we don't. I definitely think the tips in this book can help me make a bigger impact- not just when negotiating, but in contentious meetings and debates too. The use of many scenarios, firsthand stories and research data points reinforce ...more
Leah Hortin
Jan 25, 2016 Leah Hortin rated it really liked it
Shelves: work
I thought this was a pretty good book! I got it to help me for professional reasons - it focuses on negotiating in the workplace. A lot of it is common sense (and stuff I had already been doing) but it was good to reaffirm I was doing the correct thing. I also snagged some good lines and phrasing. It goes through everything from preparation to body language to different techniques (like the power of silence) all the way to the follow-up piece. I'll definitely refer to this in the future when I'm ...more
Brittni
Jul 30, 2014 Brittni rated it it was ok
This didn't really apply to my professional career.
Stephanie
Jun 11, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
Nothing new here for me. This is a limited topic. I didn't find this to be an engaging read.
Melina
Feb 20, 2016 Melina rated it really liked it
Excellent book on how to ask for what you want in a professional setting. The first few chapters help to set the stage on why women struggle to ask for what they want or deserve. The rest of the chapters focus on techniques and examples. I reread these chapters as I was preparing for job interviews and critical business negotiations.

I highly recommend this book to any female professional looking for guidance on this subject.
Sasha Boersma
Pretty straightforward "how to" on developing negotiating skills and be less of a pushover through self-advocating.

While designed for women, would also be a very good read for men who struggle with insecurity and imposter syndrome.
Kelly
Nov 05, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
Loaded with practical advice and strategies. Ms. Rezvani is adept at providing ample quotes and examples to illustrate her points, which I found helpful when trying to draw parallels to my own situation. Highly recommended.
Lucy Barber
Aug 17, 2012 Lucy Barber is currently reading it
I like Rezvani's approach to teaching women coming up in the heat of their careers how to how negotiation tactics. Good read for all those women out there who are motivated to break through.
Ann
Apr 06, 2014 Ann added it
Quick read on better negotiation techniques. Liked the page on skill statements and being objective on conflict situations.
Kathleen McDonald
Apr 03, 2013 Kathleen McDonald rated it really liked it
Unlike many "ask" books, this one give clear advice, worksheets, and scenarios. Let's see if it works :)
Talia
May 19, 2014 Talia rated it liked it
This book contains mostly basic information but it did help me boost my career confidence. :)
Smith
May 02, 2012 Smith is currently reading it
Excellent read and step by step approach for women looking to enhance their negotiation skills.
Maria Meadows
Aug 12, 2013 Maria Meadows rated it really liked it
Great book for women in business.
Sara Ramezani
Apr 20, 2014 Sara Ramezani rated it it was amazing
being smart and bold!
Courtney Ritcher
Courtney Ritcher rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Brianna Wiest
Brianna Wiest marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Jeniffer Abdullah
Jeniffer Abdullah marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Colophonius
Colophonius marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Jenifer Kautzman
Jenifer Kautzman is currently reading it
Apr 27, 2016
Jie
Jie marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Grace
Grace rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Shannon Beck
Shannon Beck marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
  • The Well-Spoken Woman: Your Guide to Looking and Sounding Your Best
  • Necessary Dreams: Ambition in Women's Changing Lives
  • The Secret Thoughts of Successful Women
  • How Remarkable Women Lead: The Breakthrough Model for Work and Life
  • Nice Girls Just Don't Get It: 99 Ways to Win the Respect You Deserve, the Success You've Earned, and the Life You Want
  • It's Okay to Manage Your Boss: The Step-By-Step Program for Making the Best of Your Most Important Relationship at Work
  • Reality-Based Leadership: Ditch the Drama, Restore Sanity to the Workplace, and Turn Excuses Into Results
  • Beyond Reason: Using Emotions as You Negotiate
  • What Works: Gender Equality by Design
  • The Silo Effect: The Peril of Expertise and the Promise of Breaking Down Barriers
  • The Philosophy of Friendship
  • The Alliance: Managing Talent in the Networked Age
  • The Necessity of Atheism
  • The Loudest Duck: Moving Beyond Diversity While Embracing Differences to Achieve Success at Work
  • Creating Personal Presence: Look, Talk, Think, and Act Like a Leader
  • Suddenly in Charge: Managing Up, Managing Down, Succeeding All Around
  • Go Suck a Lemon: Strategies for Improving Your Emotional Intelligence
  • Knowing Your Value: Women, Money, and Getting What You're Worth
Selena Rezvani serves as the president of NextGenWomen, LLC. Her goal is to
propel more women into the top echelons of businesses - an objective she
achieves through her writing, consulting, and speaking engagements. Selena wrote her debut book, The Next Generation of Women Leaders: What You Need to Lead but Won't Learn in Business School (Praeger, 2009) while pursuing her MBA at Johns Hopkins Unive
More about Selena Rezvani...