Start by marking “Pushback: How Smart Women Ask--and Stand Up--for What They Want” as Want to Read:
Pushback: How Smart Women Ask--and Stand Up--for What They Want

Pushback: How Smart Women Ask--and Stand Up--for What They Want

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Popular leadership blogger gives the low-down on standing up for yourselfIn "Pushback," top leadership consultant Selena Rezvani argues that self-advocacy is critical to success. Yet women initiate negotiations four times less often than men, resulting in getting less of what they want--promotion opportunities, plum assignments, and higher pay. This book shines a light on ...more
Hardcover, 1, 224 pages
Published April 10th 2012 by Wiley, John & Sons, Incorporated (first published March 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Pushback, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pushback

Much of the information in this book I learned through Managing Up, Negotiation and Emotional Intelligence courses, however Pushback:How Smart Women Ask--Stand Up--For What They Want pulls it all together with interviews with women executives, psychological and executive research findings and practical methods to prepare for negotiations or difficult conversations.

This book is aimed to women who are interested in moving up in their career. Selena Rezvani, author and leadership blogger sums it up
Word Owl
None of the information was exactly new or surprising, nevertheless it was a great, practical read. ...more
Tracey Axnick
I went out and picked up the hard copy of the book - I simply felt it HAD to be better than the audio version. And guess what? It was!
The book is well structured and has some excellent ideas. I enjoyed it very much, and recommend it for any woman in the workplace. However, I can't recommend the audio version - try as I might, I just couldn't get past the narrator's grating and sarcastic voice and delivery.

Tried listening to this title via Audible but the narrator had a dread
Tanya Tokareva
I liked the interviews with women executives part, however most of the book was about the basics of negotiations which is useful but not what I expected to get out of this book.
Interesting and useful information and perspective on business, negotiation, and one's career.
Jennie Morton
Practical, no-nonsense, straightforward advice. Skips over the "why" women and men are different in the workplace and cuts right to empowering women to be more vocal and active. Unlike other books of this nature, where you really have to work hard to translate the advice for non-executive positions, this is full of great tips that could be used for any professional exchanges.
There are books out there on women and negotiation and some are better than others- consider this one in the "better" category. Using her research of women executives from different industries, the author identifies why we need to negotiate and what's at stake if we don't. I definitely think the tips in this book can help me make a bigger impact- not just when negotiating, but in contentious meetings and debates too. The use of many scenarios, firsthand stories and research data points reinforce ...more
This didn't really apply to my professional career.
Nothing new here for me. This is a limited topic. I didn't find this to be an engaging read.
Loaded with practical advice and strategies. Ms. Rezvani is adept at providing ample quotes and examples to illustrate her points, which I found helpful when trying to draw parallels to my own situation. Highly recommended.
Lucy Barber
Aug 17, 2012 Lucy Barber is currently reading it
I like Rezvani's approach to teaching women coming up in the heat of their careers how to how negotiation tactics. Good read for all those women out there who are motivated to break through.
Apr 06, 2014 Ann added it
Quick read on better negotiation techniques. Liked the page on skill statements and being objective on conflict situations.
Kathleen McDonald
Unlike many "ask" books, this one give clear advice, worksheets, and scenarios. Let's see if it works :)
This book contains mostly basic information but it did help me boost my career confidence. :)
May 02, 2012 Smith is currently reading it
Excellent read and step by step approach for women looking to enhance their negotiation skills.
Maria Meadows
Great book for women in business.
Sara Ramezani
being smart and bold!
Carrie marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Holly Doolin
Holly Doolin marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Anushree Agarwal
Anushree Agarwal marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Katelyn Lucas
Katelyn Lucas marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Jackie Kagu
Jackie Kagu marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Simma Lieberman
Simma Lieberman marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Nadine marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Leslie marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Genevieve Tan
Genevieve Tan marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Anne marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
  • The Well-Spoken Woman: Your Guide to Looking and Sounding Your Best
  • Necessary Dreams: Ambition in Women's Changing Lives
  • The Secret Thoughts of Successful Women
  • How Remarkable Women Lead: The Breakthrough Model for Work and Life
  • Social Media for Social Good: A How-To Guide for Nonprofits
  • Nice Girls Just Don't Get It: 99 Ways to Win the Respect You Deserve, the Success You've Earned, and the Life You Want
  • Return On Influence: The Revolutionary Power of Klout, Social Scoring, and Influence Marketing
  • Writing Young Adult Fiction for Dummies
  • Likeonomics: The Unexpected Truth Behind Earning Trust, Influencing Behavior, and Inspiring Action
  • The Best of Guerrilla Marketing: Guerrilla Marketing Remix
  • Repeatability: Build Enduring Businesses for a World of Constant Change
  • Reality-Based Leadership: Ditch the Drama, Restore Sanity to the Workplace, and Turn Excuses Into Results
  • Who Hates Whom: Well-Armed Fanatics, Intractable Conflicts, and Various Things Blowing Up A Woefully Incomplete Guide
  • Culturematic: How Reality TV, John Cheever, a Pie Lab, Julia Child, Fantasy Football . . . Will Help You Create and Execute Breakthrough Ideas
  • Do More Great Work: Stop the Busywork. Start the Work That Matters.
  • POP!: Stand Out in Any Crowd
  • Practically Radical: Not-So-Crazy Ways to Transform Your Company, Shake Up Your Industry, and Challenge Yourself
  • The Playwright's Guidebook: An Insightful Primer on the Art of Dramatic Writing
Selena Rezvani serves as the president of NextGenWomen, LLC. Her goal is to
propel more women into the top echelons of businesses - an objective she
achieves through her writing, consulting, and speaking engagements. Selena wrote her debut book, The Next Generation of Women Leaders: What You Need to Lead but Won't Learn in Business School (Praeger, 2009) while pursuing her MBA at Johns Hopkins Unive
More about Selena Rezvani...
The Next Generation of Women Leaders: What You Need to Lead But Won't Learn in Business School The Next Generation of Women Leaders (Manajemen) Pushback: How Smart Women Ask—and Stand Up—for What They Want