Start by marking “30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She's 30” as Want to Read:
30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She's 30

30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She's 30

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  515 ratings  ·  93 reviews
Featuring advice, wisdom, and observations from an array of prominent and beloved women, 30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She's 30 is an essential guide (and perfect gift) for women on the brink of thirty--and for those who are already there! Fifteen years ago, Glamour published a list of distinctive yet universally true must-haves and must-kno...more
Published April 24th 2012 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2012)

Be the first to ask a question about 30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She's 30

Jackie
I'm so glad I picked up this title. I have very recently turned 30 and have spent much time dreading my last birthday. I have also been fretting about it ever since. THIRTY THINGS EVERY WOMAN SHOULD HAVE AND SHOULD KNOW BY THE TIME SHE'S 30 is a book every late 20-Something/early 30-something woman should read. It's a book to give to your daughter, your grand-daughter, your sister, your friend.

After reading the short anecdotes written by thirty different amazing and accomplished women, I realiz...more
Penny McGill
I have always loved lists and I remember always enjoying the Glamour magazine list when I was working @ Ernst & Young. I'd buy this magazine and then read it while I ate my lunch in the extremely busy and loud foodcourt. My favourite list was the one where they suggested celebrating the new year by being very prepared for the year ahead, stocking up on toilet paper and laundry detergent, and then coming home and knowing that you hadn't made the most glamorous (funny) purchases but you'd have...more
C
This book would make an excellent gift for a daughter/niece/grand-daughter/friend starting out for college. That said, I don't feel it is limited to the "under 30" age group. It's a good quick read, and as I was reading it, I wished I'd had these women's advice earlier in my life (would I have been smart enough to take that advice? probably not, but I'll be optimistic for my past-self). Gave me a few things to think about.

Great tips on self-worth, money, love, and life in general. Added to recom...more
Maria
I had already read the list, and that's why I picked up this book, but there's nothing new here. Each # is accompanied by a story from different 'famous-ish' women, and there is some insightful stuff but not worth the money I paid.
I read this for Sloane
Tammy
This book is kinda like the "Chicken Soup for the Soul" books...short little inspirational stories from a variety of authors. I don't mind reading things like that, but I just didn't expect it, and I don't tend to recommend books like that unless the stories are really stellar. These were just alright.

With that said, I think the LIST of 30 things is fabulous (and widely available on the internet). Read through it, and if you find yourself really wondering about why some of them should be the cas...more
Crystal
I just read this book, 30 Things every woman should have and should know by the time she's 30, and it was a cute, fast read.
It contains chapters from so many various women, like Taylor Swift, Maya Angelou, Katie Couric, Suze Orman, and many others.

Some of the quotes I really liked from it I jotted below:

Why do they say life begins at 30?
Thirty is when you stop the comparathon.
The rat race that has you constantly looking over your shoulder to see how everyone else is doing at work/love/parenting...more
Brianna Soloski
Thirty Things Every Woman should have and should know By the Time she’s 30 by Pamela Redmond Satran
165 pages
5/5 stars

I’m turning 30 in about three months (my birthday is August 16). I’ve been freaked out about the prospect forever. When I was in college, it didn’t faze me. Turning 21 didn’t bother me, even though I was older than most of my friends by a few years. Turning 25 was okay. Turning 26 was a little harder because that’s when my quarter life crisis kicked into high gear and I started...more
Sharla
This is a really fun read for any woman in the vicinity of her 30s; I just had to get it as an early birthday present from my Mom, and loved it! It's a really quick read, with lots of good advice and tidbits of inspiration. I did find it a bit odd that there were a couple of contributors less than 30, but they wrote from a perspective of looking forward, so I suppose that's a viable vantage point to provide a bit of variety. Here are some of my favorite passages:

"You can't change your past, but...more
Cait
Nov 05, 2013 Cait rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
This book is filled with encouraging words from some awesome women of all ages. It focuses on being true to yourself, loving yourself and working damn hard to achieve your dreams.

Some of the entries that I particularly loved are:

What 30 Means to Me - "Being Grateful for Life’s Gifts" by Padma Lakshmi
By 30 You Should Have – “A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship and all those other facets of life that do get better” by Katie Couric
By 30 You Should Know – “How to fall...more
Kris Irvin
A fun, quick read. Probably everyone can take away some kind of lesson from this book. But I'm 26, and I've been married for 6 years. I really did not need so many chapters on how to pick a guy, or how to get over heartbreak. I could have used a chapter on motherhood, how to handle a quarterlife crisis, and maybe how to fix stuff around the house. Not building a garage but maybe a chapter on basic household fixes would have been useful. I get that there's books devoted to that stuff but you'd th...more
Bereniice
Good tips and teachings to keep in mind if you are going to turn 30, are 30 or past 30. So basically for every women, just a quick reminder to help you enjoy life no matter how old you are.
Lisse
This was a very fast read of many women's views of turning 30...some who are still in their 30's, some way past it and a couple who are no where near it yet. All in all, I'd say this is a nice read for women to get a reminder from others who have been in their shoes that we all have our own path to take and our own time to travel down it. I was never nervous or distressed about turning 30 and I still enjoyed what most of the women who contributed to this book had to share.
As another reviewer wro...more
Brittany
I love lists, so this book was great for me. I hope to complete this list by the time I'm 30, or close after turning 30. I've got about a year and a half left, so I think I can do it. My only issue with this list is there were a couple of items that one could possibly not complete because it has to do with your past (having a past juicy enough to tell in your old age, for example). You can't change your past, so if you didn't do/have those experiences, then you're screwed I guess. I did enjoy th...more
Liz Una Kim
This was given to me as a graduation gift so it naturally kept me busy during my graduation ceremony (inspirational speeches in academia kinda bore). The chapter titled "An email address, a voice mailbox, and a bank account -- all of which nobody has access to but you" by Jacquelyn Mitchard was my personal favorite, as it spoke to my love of personal space.

A month later, I purchased another copy and gifted to one of my best girlfriends for her 23rd birthday with a sassy note, "closer to 30, how...more
크리스티
In a perfect world I'd say yes this book would be a great read for me turing 30 soon but in my not so perfect world most of this didn't apply so it was a rather annoying book. Reading about love, great careers, kids, marriage and financials...not really happening in a down economy...made me more depressed about not being in the career I want, not being married and turning into a spinster, no kids and the clock is ticking...it was like reading a celebrity "My life is better than yours neener neen...more
Selene
3.5 Stars actually.
Minna
Pretty vague. But I suppose a book like this would have to be, if it is aimed at 51% of the world's population.
I do definitely need to work on the outfit needed if the employer of my dreams wants to see me in an hour. (If I remember correctly from the version of this list I saw in my email years ago, I believe I also need outfits for two more situations: if the man of my dreams wants to go on a date in an hour, and if I get a chance to go on my dream vacation in an hour. But I digress.)
Rachel Sprague
A really nice little book for any woman, of any age, to read. A quick read filled with some great wisdom and advice. Portia di Rossi's piece particularly resonated with me: There are so many things about yourself that you can't change, and that you shouldn't change. We're always told we need to "fix" things about ourselves, from our hair color to our weight, which we really don't need to. Sometimes you don't realize things until you hear it from someone else. Definitely recommended.
Laurie
This is a very inspirational book with contributions by many different women from all walks of life. I enjoyed it very much and found that each and every one had something that either I could relate to or had experienced myself. Some really made me think and consider another perspective as well as give suggestions and advice to meet the many challenges in our daily lives. I will definitely buy this book for both of my daughters who are approaching 30 and just 30 years old.
Donnica
What an inspiring read... the thirites is a wonderful age but life still goes one.... this book inspires one to just plain live...love yourself ane be true to yourself others and those who truly are important...

This book also helps one to reflect on what's important and know self...regardless of society or anything or anyone else...

Most of all be true to yourself...realize what matters and what doesn't,... the naysayers should never matter.... EVER!!!!!!
Lindsey Brewer
Even if you're over 30 - you need to read this book. The advice within The List makes it a worthwhile read by itself. The stories from the various contributors make the book even more worth your time. Every part of this book is thought provoking and applicable. While reading, I blogged about my own personal experiences, based on The List. I suggest you do the same, or at least give serious thought to your life as you read. You won't regret it!
Delia Mar
This book is great for gal Frens n sisters! Some things are not new but the way the writers relate their stories is a good reminder. I like most about Genevieve Field's "you can't change the past, but you can change your mind about your past", it applies to everyone. This list is good for me! Like a memo keeping taps on my life ... A quick n good read especially when I have 3 kids to juggle. :)
Jaime
2.5 Not all of the essays in this book are created equal. And my own values and beliefs do not necessarily line up with the "wisdom" this book is touting, but it was a quick and, in a few cases, enlightening read. Turning 30 and many of the thoughts and experiences that come with it, can be universal for women. And for that reason, I could appreciate this book.
Lindsey
I loved this book!! I have NEVER finished a "self-help" style book from front to back but I read every single page of this one. A few of these things have constantly been on my mind lately and it was nice to read and learn of other women's points of view. Since I started reading it, I have recommended every female I know read it.
Gwen
Oct 07, 2012 Gwen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Gwen by: browsing at the library
Shelves: well-being
My lingering issue with this book: someone please tell me why I should be taking advice on being 30 from Taylor Swift.

Short, easy to read collection of essays based on the Glamour article from the late 1990s. A little too heteronormative in places and overemphasizing marriage, but the lifeskills tips could be helpful.
Erin
The title of this book is a little misleading. While the list focuses on what you should know and have before your 30, I think women of all age can read and enjoy this book. The main themes are about learning and growing from your past, being independent, and not relying on others for your own happiness. Pretty empowering!
Elise Traversa
Fun quick book to read on New Years day. Some stories were inspirational, some were blah. Great for a quick pick-me-up, but probably not worth buying.
Samantha Hill
A quick but sometimes thought-provoking read, this is a secular take on some practical life goals. I don't have long until 30, but there are a few things on the list that I would like to check off myself. One or two of the items didn't fit with my worldview, but for the most part the mini-essays were inspiring.
  • The Dead Sea Deception (Leo Tillman & Heather Kennedy, #1)
  • El héroe discreto
  • Happy Wives Club: One Woman's Worldwide Search for the Secrets of a Great Marriage
  • Replay
  • F*ck! I'm in My Twenties
  • The Dare
  • Little Girl Gone
  • Exposure
  • Pequeño cerdo capitalista
  • Reawakened (Once Upon a Time, #1)
  • What I Know Now: Letters to My Younger Self
  • 20-Something, 20-Everything: A Quarter-Life Woman's Guide to Balance and Direction
  • Two Rivers
  • Cupcakes and Cashmere: A Guide for Defining Your Style, Reinventing Your Space, and Entertaining with Ease
  • Family Affair
  • Black Heart Blue
  • Don't Worry, It Gets Worse: One Twentysomething's (Mostly Failed) Attempts at Adulthood
  • Pídeme lo que quieras (Pídeme lo que quieras, #1)
Pamela Redmond Satran is the author of 20 books, both fiction and non-fiction. Her most recent novel, The Possibility of You, is written as Pamela Redmond and published by Simon & Schuster's Gallery Books. A New York Times bestselling humor writer, she has a new humor book, Rabid: Are You Crazy About Your Dog or Just Crazy?, due out from Bloomsbury in September 2012. She is the creator with Li...more
More about Pamela Redmond Satran...
The Possibility of You Younger The Man I Should Have Married Babes in Captivity Suburbanistas