Start by marking “The Killing Floor (a novel of The Infection)” as Want to Read:
The Killing Floor (a novel of The Infection)

The Killing Floor (The Infection #2)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  483 ratings  ·  40 reviews
The mystery virus struck down millions. Three days later, its victims awoke with a single violent purpose: spread the Infection. As the world lurched toward the apocalypse, some of the Infected continued to change, transforming into horrific monsters.

America's far-flung military has returned home to war against its own country, engaged in a fierce battle to retake Washingt...more
Published April 9th 2012 by Permuted Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Killing Floor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Killing Floor

Gareth Wood
The astonishing sequel to THE INFECTION picks up right where the first book left off, and delivers a non-stop brutal ride through post-apocalyptic America. The Infection, we are happy to learn, is not done with the characters we grew to admire and like in the first book. It is fast paced and violent, savage and unrelenting all the way to the end.

Craig DiLouie's skill and great talent as an author lies in his vivid imagery. One can imagine oneself being there while the guns are firing, hearing th...more
Netanella
First paragraphs:On the second floor of the West Wing of the White House, the meeting adjourned for lunch early because the machine gun was too loud.
Dr. Travis Price, assistant director with the Office of Science and Technology Policy, stared out the window into the smoky haze that had settled onto the city.
Outside, the Marines were still shooting the Infected off the fence.

I read this book in two days, and I didn't want it to end. DiLouie has become one of my favorite authors for horror - his i...more
George Wilhite
In my review of “The Infection” I stated it was one of those rare novels that “happens to you” rather than you reading it. This sequel uses the same present tense non-flinching style and DiLouie’s onslaught on the reader’s senses and emotions continues in this equally excellent sequel.

One disturbing aspect of the first novel was the lack of any knowledge of the Infection’s origin. In the sequel, the world has learned a bit more of how it works, but there are endless mutations and still no cure....more
Patrick D'Orazio
Craig DiLouie took the traditional infected/zombie tale and expanded upon it (and turned it on its ear) with his release of The Infection. The Killing Floor, the second book in this series, carries on where the last book left off, with surviving characters trying to comprehend the costly victory they had at the bridge, where they prevented a flood of infected from crossing the Ohio River and tearing through the refugee camp in nearby Defiance, where over 100,000 survivors live. Ray, one of the s...more
Jen Walker

Killing Floor starts right up where The Infection stopped. But there are also some new folks introduced so we go back in time a little too. I did find the beginning of the novel a bit slow and a bit hard to follow some of the military scenes. However once it finally got rolling I was really pleased with how the story developed. It does end with more story to tell so I do hope another book in the series comes out because I will definitely pick it up.

Henri Moreaux
Really enjoyed this, even better than 'The Infection'.
Yammy
5.0/ 5.0

Having read The Infection I already knew I was getting quality when I received a copy of this book. While not an indie, this book shows what indie authors can strive to become one day.

The story tales place after his first book and breaks up into different groups. The characters are not cardboard and are easy to follow and, dare I say, FUN to follow. I really, really loved the military perspective - it was realistic and chilling at the same time. This book is very graphic with the gore a...more
Joe Stamber
The Killing Floor follows on from where The Infection left off and fans of the first book in the series won't be disappointed. The titles are well thought out as the The Infection deals with the original infection and the fight for survival and in this sequel the survivors take the fight to the infected in an attempt to win America back.

Many of the characters return, although of course some of them died, and new ones are introduced. Any character who has an important role to play is given a bit...more
Heather Faville
October 2011, I was introduced to Craig DiLouie's The Infection and I greatly enjoyed the story of a group of survivors making their way to a government camp in an attempt to reclaim a portion of the world they knew and maybe even a bit of their humanity.

The Killing Floor picks up where The Infection left off. We following those who survived as they make decisions about how they will continue their lives. The tale switches from character to character as the story progresses. While thi...more
Chip Fehd

I was fortunate enough to review Craig DiLouie’s 2011 Apocalyptic masterpiece THE INFECTION, the forebear to THE KILLING FLOOR. Simply put, it was a genuine masterpiece in the whole Apocalypse sub-genre. A virus sweeps the country, dropping people where they stood, then bringing them back as singularly violent creatures, whose sole purpose is to further the Infection. It was brutal, fast paced, and an absolute must read.
So, along comes the sequel. THE KILLING FLOOR picks up right where THE INF...more
Marci
It’s the end of the world as we know it as the infection has brought about a biological apocalypse. In Craig DiLouie’s novel The Killing Floor, the fallen have risen and with their awakening has come a never-ending hunger for flesh. The army fights to regain Washington D.C. in a symbolic reclaiming of control while the President hides in an underground bunker with thousands, including a guilt-ridden doctor searching for a cure. Anne turns her hate over the loss of her family into a rage aimed at...more
Teri
Where I truly enjoyed these books, we are once again left unsatisfied at the end as the growing Zombie genre trend means to end their novels without a solution and or explanation... The end of this one was on the right path and then suddenly the story just abruptly stops with a cliche of we're gonna win this war some day... Even tho in the previous chapter it implied they had already found one an no longer needed what they sent out for.. Sketchy, classic military/govt tho ill I've you that.
The...more
Solar
I started out with reading The Infection and must say the author really improved since.

Some of the characters from the first book are back in The Killing Floor, but a lot of new charas join in, a bit too many for my own taste as it becomes a bit confusing sometimes, though much less than in the first book.

I really began to enjoy this book as the story showed more about Ray, but the many swapping around between the point of view of the many different characters was quite annoying and I found mys...more
Anchor
Robert
I liked it a lot. Now granted, the author swayed a bit off course with the addition of monsters, but I can follow his vision of what a post-apocalyptic world could become. The characters, the military, the government, the camps, the behavior of society as a whole; I could see much of this coming to pass. It's not just about zombies and whether they are possible or not. It's more about the survivors, how and if they survive.
The monsters are another argument. What are they? Aliens, demons, viral m...more
Loopy

Dang! I finished it and I wanted more! My e-reader often messes up the page numbering and says that there are a lot more pages than there are, sometimes it's a relief when all of a sudden I've reached the end of the book but other times it's a bummer. With this book I thought I still had 500 pages to go, plenty of time for lots more to happen ........... bloody e-reader, setting me up for disappointment. When's the next book out?

Very reminiscent of David Wellington's Zombie trilogy (Mon...more
Candice
I don't understand why everyone liked this book so much. It just drug on and would put me to sleep. I have to always finish a book, but this was the first where I almost just quit.
Melvina Davis
This was a great sequel to The Infection. I am usually not a big fan of this type of book, but I thoroughly both books. I read the entire book in a little over a day. It is not just another zombie/apocalypse story. It is a brillant, creative and terrifying book. There are tons of action, great characters, and unexpected twists in the plot. I give this book 5 stars. I can’t wait to read more books by Craig DiLouie.
Brian Clopper
Picked up a bit at the end. It felt a little like a retread, but it missed some great action opportunities. I wanted to see more exploration of the various monsters and more fighting and suspense. The ending feels like setup for a third book. The first book was really fresh and had me excited. Sadly, the second book didn't deliver and I won't be around for a third.
J
Liked it better than the first book! Good character development and good storyline. It kept me engaged throughout the book with very little down time.
Bobby Cooper

This is one of the most original ,nonstop action zombie apocalypse novels Ive read. I love the zombie genre ,but these zombies really scared me!! Theit fast,their smart,their deadly...their infected!! I think THE KILLING FLOOR will stand out as one of the top novels for 2012
Ghazala
While I liked the first book, this one felt too rushed & like they just tried to wrap everything up because they got writer's block or got tired of trying to come up with a good ending & was on a deadline. I didn't like the conclusion at all.
Greg
Very vivid in imagery and really liked the books. A lot of parts didn't make much sense to me, or I thought were really dull overall amazing series and I hope their is a 3rd book as the ending sort of leaves you hanging.
Greg
Meh. I enjoy the vision of the series, but was more detached from this one than The Infection. Too much focus on a band of people who I thought had their story pretty well told in the first book.
Tiffany
Whyyyyyyy did it have to end?!

Love the mutants, love the writing, love the books! Hate that the series ended.

Definitely a must read for any fans of the apocalypse genre.
Wendy
DiLouie draws you in and holds you there. I couldn't put it down. Much more than just survival. It's devastation, shock and where to start reclaiming some sense of normalcy.
Heather
That was also fun. I enjoyed the twist that DiLouie took in The Infection and was thrilled to see it continued so well in this sequel. The pace was perfect.
Ray
Right back in the mix baby! Great writing. Great character development great story. I'm burning through pages and don't want it to end.
Chris
I wasn't able to relate with the Characters as much as the first book and the emotions portrayed by them feel a bit fake.
Dave
Great read! Complex plot, engaging world, and 3D characters. A zombie novel but so much more. Highly recommended.
  • Mutated  (Dead World, #4)
  • Domain of the Dead
  • The Gathering Dead (The Gathering Dead, #1)
  • Survivors
  • Deadlocked 4
  • Twilight of the Dead
  • Among the Living
  • Taking it Back (White Flag, #2)
  • LZR-1143: Infection (LZR-1143, #1)
  • Safari (Mountain Man Book Two)
  • The Becoming: Ground Zero (The Becoming, #2)
  • Dying to Live: Last Rites (Dying to Live, #3)
  • The Undead Situation (Undead, #1)
  • Zomblog II (Zomblog, #2)
  • Fever
  • A New World: Return (A New World, #2)
  • Sadie Walker is Stranded (Zombie, #2)
  • After Life
682045
Craig DiLouie is the author of zombie favorites THE INFECTION, THE KILLING FLOOR, THE RETREAT and TOOTH AND NAIL, as well as THE GREAT PLANET ROBBERY, a science fiction novel, and PARANOIA, a psychological thriller. His latest apocalyptic horror novel, SUFFER THE CHILDREN, was published May 2014.
More about Craig DiLouie...
The Infection Tooth and Nail Suffer the Children The Retreat #1: Pandemic The Great Planet Robbery