Start by marking “Death Note, Vol. 4: Love (Death Note, #4)” as Want to Read:
Death Note, Vol. 4: Love (Death Note, #4)

Death Note, Vol. 4: Love (Death Note #4)

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  11,070 ratings  ·  279 reviews
Light Yagami is an ace student with great prospects - and he's bored out of his mind. But all that changes when he finds the Death Note, a notebook dropped by a rogue Shinigami death god. Any human whose name is written in the notebook dies, and now Light has vowed to use the power of the Death Note to rid the world of evil. But when criminals begin dropping dead, the auth ...more
Published March 7th 2006 by VIZ Media LLC (first published November 4th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Death Note, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Note, Vol. 4

Fruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri HinoBleach Volume 01 by Tite Kubo
good manga
51st out of 454 books — 167 voters
Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaBleach Volume 01 by Tite Kubo
Best Manga Books
81st out of 430 books — 312 voters

More lists with this book...

Choco

Misa Amane is the definition of stupid.
Colleen Venable
Okay is it just me or are the representations of women in this particular volume SO SCREWED UP? Girls are not as smart. Girls always need saving. Girls make good pawns if you happen to have a notebook that can KILL PEOPLE and need something to distract the police from suspecting you. (I can't tell you HOW MANY DATES I've been on for that reason. All you fellas out there and your notebooks of death.) I had thought it might have been my imagination before, but this couldn't be more stereotypical o ...more
Delaney

L. just being his adorable self. <3
Carrie
It's not like there's anything new happening at this point, is there? L thinks Light might be Kira, Light is Kira but has a brilliantly convoluted plan to convince L that he's not Kira, Light's father spends a lot of time wearing suits and looking shocked, so on and so forth.
Ferdy
4.5 stars - Spoilers

Loved it. Misa was by far the best character — sure she was idiotic and desperate but I found her entertaining as hell. I was initially confused with her devotion to Light/Kira, but I was glad there was a plausible reason for her being so devoted to him.
I liked Misa's Shinigami (Ram)… His protectiveness was really sweet. Light will no doubt use and abuse Misa so I'm pleased she has someone on her side. I loved that Ram threatened Light if Misa died. It's more fun to read whe
Tariq Alferis
العبقرية تكمن في انه الكاتب يرفعك للمشرق في الأحداث ويرجعك للمغرب ، بحيث انك مادير شي إلا انك تفتح فمك من الدهشة ...!
Sophie
So... my first Death Note manga and I loved it. The plot for this series is just absolutely mind-blowing. I can't even fathom how one could think up such a wonderful idea.
And... it's 9:00 AM now and I still haven't fallen asleep, so I'm just going to blame sleep deprivation for any delusions/typos/etc. in this review. Fantastic book.
Mikhaela
OK, now I'm just annoyed! I wasn't crazy about the portrayal of women earlier in this series--mainly due to the lack of meaningful women characters. But now that there's an important female character, all she does is squeal and mope about boys and wear short skirts and model. Oh, and get tortured. GRRRRR.
Michael
This fourth volume sees the introduction of Mesa, a young girl who also has a death note and subsequently becomes the second Kira, much to Light's annoyance.

Once again, this was a stunningly good story and the mind-games between L and Light are the true crux of the plot. Just when Light thinks he has outwitted L, L then surprises him and usually gets the better of him. I'll be very intrigued to see how they keep up the pace with the next volumes, considering the ending to this one.

If you are wa
Daryl Nash
The relationships are one-dimensional, the characterization is flimsy, the philosophy has that faux depth common to manga, talking heads often drone on for page after page, and the female characters are absolutely horrible. Why am I still reading this? Only for the brilliant concept, the incorrigibly single-minded character of Light, and the occasionally interesting plot twist. Oh, and Takeshi Obata is a rather good artist, especially considering all the talking heads he has to make look interes ...more
Morgan Randall
This series is about what happens when a God of Death, known as a Shinigami, gives a human a Death Note.

I love the way that L and Light are so similar and yet so different at the same time. They have they whole Sherlock and Moriarty, Harry Potter and Voldemort thing going on. They are both intelligent and talented, around the same age, and have access to powerful resources, yet they are on different sides of the fight. Their goals are even similar, to stop evil, yet there way in doing so is comp
Roya
I really enjoyed this. Despite the serious plot, there were some really funny parts...

L: "College is fun as long as you don't die."

Misa: Light!! I just couldn't wait two weeks...I was on my way over to your place!
Light: This is the first time in my life I've ever seriously wanted to punch a girl...

*L touches Misa's butt*
Misa: "Hey! Who just touched my butt?!"
L: "How imprudent! That's unforgivable. I shall catch the culprit!

L: I'm...a pervert...?

Highly enjoyable, but let's admit it, I'm only writ
Sesana
Oh, Misa. I really feel sorry for her. I can see how she got into this situation, idolizing the person who avenged her parents' murders. But still... Oh, Misa.
Helen
Oh my God please don't tell me Misa will be a regular thing? No. Oh please no. She is the type of girl Pink is singing about in Stupid Girls. Not only is she a utter twat, but as needy as Hell.

description

As well as that, yet again not a whole lot happened in this volume. But one redeeming feature is this; it was strangely funny. It would be so serious and threatening and suddenly up comes dark humour. So yeah; annoying new female character, slow, but funny. At least the author has shown that he isn't seri
Mike
My default review for the entire series is here, where I talk about how damn much I love the series. This review will be far less intelligent, and mainly about how much I hate Misa. You have been warned.

I know it happens a little later for most people, but this is where the series starts to go downhill for me. It gets a lot worse later, don't get me wrong, and I've been told the manga does this arc better than the anime, but this is by far the worst one so far. Why? Well, there are a couple reas
MissAnnThrope
Why? Why am I still reading this series? I love crime mysteries and all its suspense, but the constant blathering between L and Light is tragically mind-numbing. I find myself falling asleep whenever I read Death Note. Here's how each book usually goes:

L: If I tell Light what I am thinking and he responds in a certain way then my suspecting Light is Kira goes up to 5 percent. So I will tell Light about this or that and see how he responds.

This goes on for about five pages, then it switches to Li
Redfox5
So far this has been a top notch series and vol 4 did not disappoint. We see much more of Misa in this volume. She has a fabulous dress sense but she's actually quiet annoying. I would not want to be in Light's shoes. She's also not very clever, not someone I'd be comfortable sharing my secrets with. I also can't belive she'd ask Rem to kill herself for her! How selfish can someone be!? L moves in on Light and Misa and the tension ramps up a notch. I can't remember how they get out of this one! ...more
Grace
The title of this particular Death Note is interesting. Because if you think about it, a lot of the pivotal plot points and story changes, a lot of Light’s actions and L’s reactions, had to happen because of love. Namely, Misa’s love—and even Rem’s love—both affected the plot in this. Or what’s defined as “love” anyway. I’m skeptical of how healthy any of the “love” is in this…? Especially Misa.

Misa’s an almost brilliant character, because at first she irritated me for being somewhat of an air
Christina
The hunt is on for the second Kira, but the second Kira is the first to find them! She sends Sakura TV another message saying that she's found Kira and then she goes to Light's house to actually meet him! L's suspicion rises as he has noticed the second Kira's actions have changed since Light and Matsuda went to Aoyama to look for the second Kira, and also that Light has had a suspicious number of girlfriends lately, including the model Misa Misa. When L arrests Misa in suspicion of being the se ...more
Alison (AlisonCanRead)
This volume of Death Note focuses on the Kira imitator. Turns out her name is Misa and she is a 20 year old model who is seeking vengeance for her parents' death. Light is in a bind during this volume. He has to get Misa on his side but also keep their relationship a secret. Which is particularly difficult given that L's scrutiny of Light is only growing stronger.

I have conflicting feelings on Misa. She comes off as an amateur who makes big mistakes. But we learn that she's much smarter than she
Mora
Apr 29, 2014 Mora added it
In this book, we are introduced to another Kira. It seems that another Shinigami has dropped their death note on earth. The second Kira begins to send out messages to the public in order to contact the original Kira, Light. We then discover who the second Kira is. Her name is Misa; she has lost her parents to a criminal and was almost killed by one, but she was saved by one of the Shinigami. Her crazy worshiping of Kira is slowly leading her to be discovered. L hires Light in order to aid in sol ...more
Natalie
In terms of OMG factor, this volume is probably better than vol. 3, but let's fact it, Misa kind of sucks. Watching Light forced into a corner thanks to her bumbling, and then having to come up with a plan to free her is interesting, but it doesn't erase the fact that... well. Misa sucks! >:O
Katharina
Is it just me or was this suddenly very purposefully-convoluted and repetitive? And had some of the most awful female characterisations in the history of anything??? The concept is still very cool, and I want to keep reading, but I kind of wish I could wipe the entire Misa thing from my brain.
Aurora Dimitre
I remember the part in the anime that things started to get really, really exciting - because in-between the beginning and this part, it was mostly just tension building and building. This book stops just before (view spoiler) things get really exciting, and the building tension is just great .

Light Yagami remains one of my absolute favorite protagonists of all time. A serial killer, sure. Exciting and brilliant, also very true . When I watched the anime, Ligh
Keely
I don't usually write reviews but I did have some important thing to say about this book.
I did rate it four stars because I absolutely loved the end of it and I am so far enjoying the story a lot. However, as I stated before I felt this series had been sexist and dated in its portrayal of women. This novel also contained this and Misa was very much the weakest character. In a story dominated by men I had expected at least once to meet a woman equal to Light and L.
This was not the book for it t
Alison

Another volume of this series that I really enjoyed. Although I’m slightly confused about the ending but hoping this will be made clearer in volume 5.

This one is about discovering the identity of the false Kiera which becomes a big ‘thing’ for Light because he needs to find the false Kiera before the police do. The false Kiera could expose him as the real Kiera.

I liked this new storyline. Throwing in the false Kiera, who also got some chapters from her POV helped to change up the story
Moataz Muhammad
وهوبا لايتو فقد الذاكرة. وهوبا اللعب بيحلو. :D

وانا اللي كنت ناوي أخش في "أعمال أدبية رصينة" أختم بيها السنة. xD

السلسلة دي سيبتني أي حاجة باعملها. xD
Emily
Sep 22, 2014 Emily rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Ack. So yes: I'm still reading, I'm still enjoying the series (they are great trashy reads and I mean trash in the absolute best sense, like eating pizza or crisps), but oh gosh the portrayal of Misa!?

I had to put it down midway and make myself a cup of tea.

Will they introduce a female character who is represented well? The only one I had brief hopes for was Naomi Misora in Vol 2. and even she was told to forget about work and become a housewife.

My car's in for it's MOT at the moment so I can'
Nermin
This was the best volume so far!
Mikael Kuoppala
Tsugumi Ohba keeps on giving us a lot of the same with "Death Note" while also offering a steady stream of game changes to make it all compelling. We get to meet Light's equivalent, a young girl possessing a death note who is also a known teen aged idol, and in love with light at first sight. I'm confident that this is a facade, otherwise this series would end up seeming infuriatingly misogynistic.

Anyway, there's a lot of deduction going on still, some of it still rather poor but some of it also
Who doesn't like Misa. 22 71 May 30, 2014 08:14PM
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 04 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #4)
  • Bleach Volume 04: Quincy Archer Hates You (Bleach #4)
1978
Tsugumi Ohba (大場 つぐみ Ōba Tsugumi?, born in Tokyo, Japan) is a writer best known for the manga Death Note. His real identity is a closely guarded secret. As stated by the profile placed at the beginning of each Death Note manga, Ohba collects teacups and develops manga plots while holding his knees on a chair, similar to a habit of L, one of the main characters of the series.

There is speculation th
More about Tsugumi Ohba...
Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (Death Note, #1) Death Note, Vol. 2: Confluence (Death Note, #2) Death Note, Vol. 3: Hard Run (Death Note, #3) Death Note, Vol. 5: Whiteout (Death Note, #5) Death Note, Vol. 8: Target (Death Note, #8)

“Rem: The way to kill a shinigami is to make them fall in love with a human.

Misa: What a wonderful way to kill.”
82 likes