Start by marking “Bury The Children In The Yard” as Want to Read:
Bury The Children In The Yard

Bury The Children In The Yard

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Andersen Prunty (author of FUCKNESS and HI I’M A SOCIAL DISEASE) returns with another collection of horror stories. This volume features: “The Library of Trespass”, “Music from the Slaughterhouse”, “A Butterfly in Ice”, “The Spot”, “Laundrymen”, “The Warm House”, and the novella “Bury the Children in the Yard.”
Published February 12th 2012 by Grindhouse Press

To ask other readers questions about Bury The Children In The Yard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bury The Children In The Yard

Jason (RawBlurb)
Dear Andersen Prunty, recently you and I began to officially court each other. I cannot say that all of our dates have been positive, but they have all been memorable. At first I was hesitant. I mix well with the strange, but your genre, Bizarro Fiction, is still fairly new to the recognized literature scene as anything more than inappropriate.

At first, I didn't want to fully embrace you, but was bothered by the possibility of you passing me by.. Many times I have picked up The Beard and conside
Justin
These are not your typical horror stories. If you're looking for something familiar, go elsewhere. There are no clichés here. Okay, well maybe a little but in a good B-movie sort of way. Oddballs, outsiders and lateral minds, we bid you welcome. These are horror stories written by acclaimed Bizzaro author Andersen Prunty, who is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors with good reason.

Here is a quick synopsis of each story without ruining anything:

Library of Trespass - With the economy in th
Manda
Having read The Fuckness a while ago, I wanted to see if Andersen Prunty could impress me again, and surely enough, he has.

These short stories are not really "horror" but they sure are unsettling!

Each story is well crafted, with interesting characters and unique situations. I particularly enjoyed The Library Of Trespass, A Butterfly In Ice and The Warm House. Music From The Slaughterhouse could have been a full novel, I would have loved for that to keep going... the way it ended left me with a d
Sonia
Now I fully understand the genre called "bizarro fiction". The author is a hell of a good writer with an intense imagination. Will give another one of his books a shot. Not a huge fan of short stories, but this was a quick read. My favorite story was "Butterfly in Ice".
James Dunphy
This is my first time reading anything by Anderson Prunty. I was excited to read some contemporary horror stories only to be left slightly half-full by the time I was finished.

There's a lot that I like about Prunty's writing style. He's witty (sometimes downright funny) and to the point. He definitely has a knack for writing dialogue. As an aspiring writer myself, I admire those things in him.

My problem with this collection of stories comes down to strict substance. Most of these stories follow
Donald Armfield
Bury the children in the yard

Music from The Slaughterhouse is a bloody read. The sounds coming from the slaughterhouse across the street may sound like some bizarre music, but the seeker of the sounds finds out the hard way.

A Butterfly in Ice gives you the thought of an insane man Joel locked in a white room. The ending not what I expected but enjoyable at that.

The Spot was discovered on the bed after a one night stand.....years later it makes it return in a gruesome way.

Laundrymen
Don't touch Ba
perfect_beaker

These stories are gut-wrenching. Mingling sex and horror and the insanity of things being just that tiny bit off-kilter before going completely gonzo, this collection is my new favorite.
Pete R.
Enjoyable horror stories where the terror comes from the unknown and surreal more than fear of harm. Didn't think I'd like this collection so much after the first two stories, which were written well enough but a bit campy and clichéd, but things just got weirder and more unique from there. "The Warm House" intrigued me the most -- it has a very dreamy/druggy quality to it and some of the descriptions border on the incomprehensible, definitely a head trip. Reminded me of JG Ballard a bit.
Brian Bigelow
I really enjoyed reading these strange tales. They cover quite the gamut of subjects as you expect in an anthology and are definitely the product of a warped mind. Plenty of blood, gore and violence is found throughout. Would recommend this book for anyone that likes their horror a bit on the weird side. Basically, expect the unexpected. These stories are anything but your usual fare. I'm really glad I bought a copy of this book and will be buying more.
Eh. It was fine.
Padre
I wouldn't call it bizarro, but I would call it a pretty great read. The best parts? “The Library of Trespass”, “Music from the Slaughterhouse”, “A Butterfly in Ice” and “Bury the Children in the Yard”. "The Spot" was pretty "meh", the ending of "Laundrymen" was cliche and "The Warm House" is not my type of a story. Still, four out of seven - not bad, huh?
Nora aka Diva
Weird, intensely strange but in an entertaining sort of way. If you are looking for something a bit out there, these short stories should put a grin on your face or a grimace depending on your tolerance level. lol
Karen
This is a collection so short, very bizarre stories. If you are offended by sexual discription or foul language I would recommend you skip this book and go on to something else.
Kellee
I didn't like this book at all. None of the stories were very entertaining. This is one reason I hate short stories. No suspense, no scare...nothing.
Ashley
not a fan of short stories but gave this a shot. what a strange book! well written but very strange...
Mark James
a bit hit and miss and only twilight zone scary
James
Some very interesting short stories!
Loisa
Loisa added it
Apr 13, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Kellianne
Kellianne marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Bridget Gould
Bridget Gould marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
BL Dufflecoat
BL Dufflecoat marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
William Brandon III
William Brandon III marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Pam Jones
Pam Jones marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Wes
Wes is currently reading it
Mar 08, 2015
Lixian
Lixian marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Clifford
Clifford marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
  • Tentacle Death Trip
  • Archelon Ranch
  • Wood
  • Shatnerquake
Andersen Prunty lives in Ohio. He writes novels and short stories. Visit him at www.andersenprunty.com.
More about Andersen Prunty...
Fuckness Zerostrata The Sorrow King Hi I'm a Social Disease: Horror Stories Morning Is Dead

“Everyone has problems. Everyone has a shitty life. But people who embrace that and do something with the misery are seen as the abnormal ones. And the people who apply normalcy like a camouflage suit are seen as the normal ones.” 0 likes