Start by marking “Bury The Children In The Yard” as Want to Read:
Bury The Children In The Yard

Bury The Children In The Yard

Andersen Prunty (author of FUCKNESS and HI I’M A SOCIAL DISEASE) returns with another collection of horror stories. This volume features: “The Library of Trespass”, “Music from the Slaughterhouse”, “A Butterfly in Ice”, “The Spot”, “Laundrymen”, “The Warm House”, and the novella “Bury the Children in the Yard.”
Published February 12th 2012 by Grindhouse Press

To ask other readers questions about Bury The Children In The Yard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bury The Children In The Yard

Jun 26, 2012 Justin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bizarro, horror
These are not your typical horror stories. If you're looking for something familiar, go elsewhere. There are no clichés here. Okay, well maybe a little but in a good B-movie sort of way. Oddballs, outsiders and lateral minds, we bid you welcome. These are horror stories written by acclaimed Bizzaro author Andersen Prunty, who is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors with good reason.

Here is a quick synopsis of each story without ruining anything:

Library of Trespass - With the economy in th
Jason (RawBlurb)
Dear Andersen Prunty, recently you and I began to officially court each other. I cannot say that all of our dates have been positive, but they have all been memorable. At first I was hesitant. I mix well with the strange, but your genre, Bizarro Fiction, is still fairly new to the recognized literature scene as anything more than inappropriate.

At first, I didn't want to fully embrace you, but was bothered by the possibility of you passing me by.. Many times I have picked up The Beard and conside
Aug 10, 2012 Manda rated it really liked it
Having read The Fuckness a while ago, I wanted to see if Andersen Prunty could impress me again, and surely enough, he has.

These short stories are not really "horror" but they sure are unsettling!

Each story is well crafted, with interesting characters and unique situations. I particularly enjoyed The Library Of Trespass, A Butterfly In Ice and The Warm House. Music From The Slaughterhouse could have been a full novel, I would have loved for that to keep going... the way it ended left me with a d
Russell Holbrook
May 31, 2016 Russell Holbrook rated it really liked it
"A Butterfly in Ice" is one of the most wonderfully heart-breaking stories I have ever read, ever. The description of the boy meeting the girl for the first time and the consuming emotions that followed was so spot on that I lost my breath. I read this every night before bed and had the strangest, best dreams.
Pete R.
Sep 06, 2013 Pete R. rated it really liked it
Enjoyable horror stories where the terror comes from the unknown and surreal more than fear of harm. Didn't think I'd like this collection so much after the first two stories, which were written well enough but a bit campy and clichéd, but things just got weirder and more unique from there. "The Warm House" intrigued me the most -- it has a very dreamy/druggy quality to it and some of the descriptions border on the incomprehensible, definitely a head trip. Reminded me of JG Ballard a bit.
Apr 30, 2012 Sonia rated it it was ok
Now I fully understand the genre called "bizarro fiction". The author is a hell of a good writer with an intense imagination. Will give another one of his books a shot. Not a huge fan of short stories, but this was a quick read. My favorite story was "Butterfly in Ice".
James Dunphy
Aug 10, 2013 James Dunphy rated it it was ok
This is my first time reading anything by Anderson Prunty. I was excited to read some contemporary horror stories only to be left slightly half-full by the time I was finished.

There's a lot that I like about Prunty's writing style. He's witty (sometimes downright funny) and to the point. He definitely has a knack for writing dialogue. As an aspiring writer myself, I admire those things in him.

My problem with this collection of stories comes down to strict substance. Most of these stories follow
Donald Armfield
Bury the children in the yard

Music from The Slaughterhouse is a bloody read. The sounds coming from the slaughterhouse across the street may sound like some bizarre music, but the seeker of the sounds finds out the hard way.

A Butterfly in Ice gives you the thought of an insane man Joel locked in a white room. The ending not what I expected but enjoyable at that.

The Spot was discovered on the bed after a one night stand.....years later it makes it return in a gruesome way.

Don't touch Ba
Feb 09, 2015 perfect_beaker rated it it was amazing

These stories are gut-wrenching. Mingling sex and horror and the insanity of things being just that tiny bit off-kilter before going completely gonzo, this collection is my new favorite.
Sagbodje Precious
Ugh! This is listed as horror...must be some mistake.
Brian Bigelow
Jan 27, 2013 Brian Bigelow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading these strange tales. They cover quite the gamut of subjects as you expect in an anthology and are definitely the product of a warped mind. Plenty of blood, gore and violence is found throughout. Would recommend this book for anyone that likes their horror a bit on the weird side. Basically, expect the unexpected. These stories are anything but your usual fare. I'm really glad I bought a copy of this book and will be buying more.
Jan 21, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
Eh. It was fine.
May 21, 2012 Padre rated it really liked it
I wouldn't call it bizarro, but I would call it a pretty great read. The best parts? “The Library of Trespass”, “Music from the Slaughterhouse”, “A Butterfly in Ice” and “Bury the Children in the Yard”. "The Spot" was pretty "meh", the ending of "Laundrymen" was cliche and "The Warm House" is not my type of a story. Still, four out of seven - not bad, huh?
Nora aka Diva
Aug 26, 2012 Nora aka Diva rated it really liked it
Weird, intensely strange but in an entertaining sort of way. If you are looking for something a bit out there, these short stories should put a grin on your face or a grimace depending on your tolerance level. lol
Jun 11, 2012 Karen rated it liked it
This is a collection so short, very bizarre stories. If you are offended by sexual discription or foul language I would recommend you skip this book and go on to something else.
Jul 30, 2012 Kellee rated it did not like it
Shelves: hated-it, kindle-book
I didn't like this book at all. None of the stories were very entertaining. This is one reason I hate short stories. No suspense, no scare...nothing.
May 01, 2012 Ashley rated it liked it
not a fan of short stories but gave this a shot. what a strange book! well written but very strange...
Mark James
Apr 29, 2013 Mark James rated it liked it
a bit hit and miss and only twilight zone scary
Oct 02, 2012 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: bizarro, kindle-fire
Some very interesting short stories!
Peggy rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016
Camilla marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2016
Orundi Jones
Orundi Jones rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Lawrence Binding
Lawrence Binding rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Wesley Miller
Wesley Miller rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2016
Richard LaBrache
Richard LaBrache marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Kim rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Dalen Fightmaster
Dalen Fightmaster marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Karolina marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Olof Kowalski
Olof Kowalski rated it it was ok
Aug 02, 2016
  • Dark Curtains
  • The Traveling Dildo Salesman
  • Archelon Ranch
Andersen Prunty lives in Ohio. He writes novels and short stories. Visit him at
More about Andersen Prunty...

“Everyone has problems. Everyone has a shitty life. But people who embrace that and do something with the misery are seen as the abnormal ones. And the people who apply normalcy like a camouflage suit are seen as the normal ones.” 0 likes