Absent-Minded Astrophysicist (Astrophysicist. #1)

Absent-Minded Astrophysicist (A Mind is a Sexy Thing)

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Dr. Liam McGregor is a well respected astrophysicist, astrobiologist and geologist, and he's only twenty-three. With no family, few friends, and no romantic prospects, he's gotten used to being alone. Focusing on his various scientific projects, and taking care of his decidedly unusual cat help keep the loneliness at bay.

Jareth Manning is starting life over, a new town, ne...more
Published April 28th 2012 by Silver Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Absent-Minded Astrophysicist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Absent-Minded Astrophysicist

Kelly Maybedog
This isn't the most well-written book I've ever read, but it was VERY sweet. The couple is so cute. Liam is a unique character and very interesting. Jareth is so kind and gentle, extremely patient and supportive, although I think the wooing went on a little long. I loved that Liam was somewhat overweight and that Jareth still thought he was hot.

(view spoiler)...more
MandyM
Cutsie short story that is in the same vein as authors Lynn Hagen and Stormy Glenn. I like the idea of the big alpha type security guard falling for the nerdy young scientist, but the execution was not great. There is so much 'telling' and not 'showing' in this story that at times, despite the subject matter, I felt like I was reading an essay instead of a novel. Liam is portrayed as very childish and naive, even to the point where he seemed mildly mentally retarded. The fact that he's supposed...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Cute and very sweet story!
I was amazed at all poor Liam was put through...and the patience that Jareth had!
Empress was a riot!
Oh and I love watching Neil Degrasse Tyson so I appreciated the shout out to him! :)
Leaundra
I loved this one. Poor Liam he had a hard life growing up but he started living as soon as he met Jareth. I loved them together:-) I also loved Empress! I'm loving all this nerdyness:-)
Vio
Empress stole the show for me, she was the best thing about the story a feisty little fluff ball and worth reading just to see her in action. Cute sweet romance as well.
Serena Yates
In this story Liam, an ‘absent-minded professor’ of the highest magnitude, is pitched not only against his own social ineptness, but also against some pretty serious physical scars and emotional wounds stemming from a horrific past. The man he is partnered with has his own emotional crosses to bear, and even though Jareth deals with them in a very different way, they enable him to understand Liam and his needs much better than anyone else ever could.

Liam is probably the most extreme case of abse...more
Caliban thegnomedruid
I want to start by saying that I appreciate that the characters did not immediately fall in love with each other, but that there was a period of courtship involved.

This is the story of the big, beefy all-American alpha marine charging in to take care of his shy, geeky omega. Unfortunately, that's not enough to carry a story for me.

Liam's adorable awkwardness and crapsack life backstory were not enough for me to suspend disbelief or think for even one second that there was a chance this tale was...more
Bea
I should give it a three, but I just loved this book too much to give it a four.

What bothered me the most is the cover. I just happened to see on my Amazon recommended list three other books had the same exact cover and the same exact font. I assume that this is the results of the publishers, Silver Publishing.

Of course, this has nothing to do with the story, but it bothers me that this seems to be something typical in e-books lately. I suppose it has to do with the cheaper cost, but as a reader...more
Clarissa
While I liked the idea of the story, I felt that the writing failed to deliver it to its most potential.
It felt like someone was recounting a story rather than you read and live through it.

So Liam did that, and Jareth did this, that's why they were doing this.

Yep that was the kind of flow the book had.

So I did like Liam. I agree with most of the comments here that he's probably one of the most adorable geek ever. But Jareth felt flat to me. His character is just unbelievable?

Melanie
Rating: 4 stars

Reviewed first at Joyfully Jay:

Dr. Liam McGregor, child prodigy, astrophysicist, and all around brilliant mind is absent minded when it comes to everything outside of his lab except for his cat. He is constantly walking into doorknobs, desks, and even people because his attention is so firmly tuned to space above. Awkward around people and socially inept, Liam's lonely and feels unattractive when he stops to think about it, which isn't often. Isolation has been his companion for f...more
Gabbi
4.5 Kisses

For the past year, Jareth Manning has been trying to get on with his life. After his husband’s tragic death, he’s been determined to get a new lease on life. When he took the job as a security guard at Northwestern Institute for Insterstellar Research, never in his wildest dreams did he think he’d be immediately captivated by one of the scientist, Dr. Liam McGregor. Liam is sweet, highly intelligent, cute as a button and extremely absentminded. When a jealous co-worker attacks Liam at...more
Diane
I loved this series from Silver, the whole smart guys finding love, I'm a sucker for that pretty much every time!

I loved the character of Liam, smart and almost clueless to the world because of it, but he had a very hard life - brilliant parents that were presumably threatened by how smart he turned out to be (although you'd think they would not have been surprised!).

As one reviewer has already said, there is a lot of information in this short story, where it could easily have been a much longer...more
Kinny
LDL
This one did not quite live up to its name, but it was cute. Probably really a bit less then a 3, a 2.5 maybe or even a 2. The story arc was ok, but the dialog lacked flow and was occasionally overly sweet. The author tried to create tension using a bad past history, but since the growth of the character and resolution of that history was just glossed over it came off as more gratuitous.
Pat Nelson
I LOVED this story by TN Tarrant about the unconventional relationship between Jareth and Liam, two men who have to overcome their pasts and the stereotypes that only outward beauty matters. If you're looking for a beautiful and entertaining story, this book is for you!
Katy Beth Mckee
Dr. Liam McGregor spends his life in a fog but as the story develops you realize there is so much more depth to his life. Jareth Manning feels drawn to him and then very protective. This story has a bit of everything: humor, drama, romance and love.
Enny

I've got a problem with a book where nearly 25% of the pages is one loooooooooooooong sex scene. The rest of the book was rather cute.
M
How can something be creepy and sappy at the same time? Is there a word to describe that? Because this book definitely needs one.
Aidee Ladnier
Simplistic, sweet romance with two lonely characters who have both experienced sorrow. Empress the cat totally steals the book.
Emma Sea
What M said.

1.5 stars rounded up.
Ingrid
Bit too sweet for my taste but it was entertaining. And that is what counts in the end.
Phaney
Apr 10, 2013 Phaney rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
Uh. I wanted to like this. In the first chapter, Liam is simply adorable and the story oozes sweetness. Even so, the writing’s pretty bad. It just barely manages to convey what it is attempting to say.

The fact that Liam’s novel stack includes two (problematic) authors of gay romances amused me at first; then it made the story lose some more credit. (view spoiler)...more
Riina Y.T.
I really wanted to like this a whole lot more than I did.

Intrigued by the title and the blurb I just HAD to give this a shot. It sounded perfect. And it isn't a bad book really, but I just couldn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. And yes, the writing here is honestly the main issue. It's exhausting, confusing and doesn't deliver the story well.

The characters are well sweet. Strangely a bit too sweet for my taste. Although I really adore sweetness in writing, therefore I am not sure why...more
Lizzie
A little soap-boxy at times and though I realize authors often express their opinions on subjects near and dear to their hearts through their characters, I don't like it shoved down my throat in my romantic reading. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Liam is sweet, quirky, vulnerable and surprisingly down to earth despite his genius status. Jareth (love that name by the way) has a deep well of strength and offers us an alpha male without the overbearing attitude. I believe being t...more
Kukko
MM romance between a socially awkward, young, and slightly overweight physicist (Liam), and the super handsome head of security of the research institute (Jareth).

Their romance was a little too sweet for my tastes - Liam was full of angst and Jareth was perfect….I just did not buy into their relationship.

With the over-emphasis of Liam's weight issues and the exaggerated interactions between the MCs and the protagonists (that seemed to pop-up out of nowhere and disappear just as quickly), this...more
dx
Aug 20, 2012 dx rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: have
2.5

Writing was a bit repetitive at times. (E.g. When they have full-on sex for the first time, their foreplay scene is filled with a lot of "Jareth grinned." Liam does something? Jareth grins. Liam says something? Jareth grins.)

Also, there were a couple of scenes that felt too preachy and heavy-handed with a Moral Message about Certain Issues. Some subtlety there would have made it less annoying.

Other than that, though, this was a nice enough little read with a likable nerd character who didn't...more
Eloreen Moon
8/10 Pots of Gold

I really enjoyed this book and loved the concept of the science behind the love story.

See full review at Rainbow Gold Reviews.
Meggie
Once again a sweet but a bit to plain story. Liam and Jareth were a cute couple in general, but the writing style made this story boring. I missed action and some creative dialogs, not just thinkings and brooding or dreaming.
CB
An enjoyable, intriguing and sexy read. Lots going on but well paced. Kept me entertained - I did not want to put it down. I really enjoyed the characters and am so glad there is a sequel - can't wait to read it!!
Rachel
Ok story...I kinda thought it was a bit over the top with the conflicts and drama for a short story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Astronomical
  • One Last Kiss Goodbye
  • Don't Judge a Book...
  • Always MJ
  • Angel's Redemption (Men of Charlestown, #4)
  • The Emo and the Jock (The Emo and the Jock, #1)
  • Forbidden Fruit
  • An Elf for All Centuries
  • What You See Isn't Always What You Get
  • The More Things Change
  • Chance To Be King
  • Surrounded By Crimson (Sumeria's Sons, #4)
  • Dealing with the Past (The Thompson Agency 2)
  • Love, Delivered
  • Falling for Rain
  • Fighting for Hope (Modern Battles, #1)
  • A Family Found (Hamilton River, #1)
Two Silent Cries A Not-So-Straight Christmas The Healing of Idrys Loving the Astrophysicist (Astrophysicist, #2) Love and Hate