Start by marking “Don't Judge a Book...” as Want to Read:
Don't Judge a Book...

Don't Judge a Book... (A Mind is a Sexy Thing)

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  226 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Bookworm Rhys lives in the idyllic town of Hawks Bridge and spends his days working at the local library, his evenings quietly reading. He thinks it's all about books and even the occasional interruption 'real life' throws his way cannot change his beliefs. When car thief Darren arrives to do his community service, Rhys's world is turned upside down. Rhys thinks the man is ...more
Published April 28th 2012 by Silver Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Don't Judge a Book..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Judge a Book...

Simsala
3,5 stars

Usually not very happy with the author`s shorter stories this was a surprise. The story with a likeable nerd(librarian)/bad boy(car thief) couple falling in love `against all odds` started out nice and funny with cat vs. dog-fights and sexual tension that neither of the characters handled very well - with just a few `usual` flaws that are almost unavoidable in a story with less than hundred pages.

BUT - knowing Scarlet Blackwell....

Favorite quote:"Then he glanced up and saw a Twilight bo
Tam
Apr 27, 2012 Tam rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
This review can be found at Brief Encounters Reviews.

This story has a couple of things that appeal to me as a reader, a neurotic book nerd and a bad boy. Oh delightful, which was how I would describe this story. Rhys loves his job as a librarian, his house is full of books, he lives for books. He is extremely annoyed that he’s been assigned to supervise Darren, who is doing community service for stealing a car. Rhys knows about these kinds, and has little tolerance for their ilk. The two get off
Lara
I always enjoy Ms Blackwell's writing, but there just was not enough of this one to sink my teeth into. Couldn't really get the chemistry between the characters, and unfortunately the hate & violence outweighed the love & sexy times. I like a little drama, but the end didn't justify the means to me. Darren was ok at the end, but 2 pages last minute wasn't enough to make my fall for him.
Serena Yates
Sep 21, 2014 Serena Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay
This is a fun story on many levels. The "opposites attract" scenario is always great (when well written–which this one is), and the characters of a librarian and a car thief–I mean, really? I couldn’t wait to read the story when I first saw the blurb and must say, I did not regret it.

Rhys may be well educated and knowledgeable, but he is also socially inept, arrogant, and prejudiced. Now, I like bookworms as much as the next person (being one myself, ahem), but this guy really pushed the limits
Chris
Apr 29, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, gay, done, short, ebook, 2012
Good m/m romance about a library assistant who's quite put out over having to deal with an unfortunately attractive guy doing community service work at the library.
Pansy
Sep 15, 2014 Pansy rated it really liked it
What a delightful little read. I say little because it is short – only 101 pages that read very fast, just a couple of hours.

Rhys and Darren are opposites that aren’t really opposites at heart. It just looked that way at first. Hence the title of the story. *grin*

I liked these two. They each had things in their lives that they had to overcome – like huge chips on their shoulders. As “true love” will, they brought out the best in each other. I found that very sweet. I can’t say much more or I w
Susan65
Jun 18, 2012 Susan65 rated it really liked it
Wow, this was a little more brutal than I expected. Not totally sure what I feel, but since I could not put it down I would have to say I did enjoy the read...even if it was hard to get past at times.

It's a relatively short book, and with all novellas, I wish there was more.
Meggie
Apr 28, 2012 Meggie rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This story was rather complex and pulling, but truthfully I'm divided between liking the story and disliking it, too. The end was rather abrupt and undeveloped, I wouldn't mind reading a bit better developed storyline.
Helyce
I was so pleasantly surprised with this short story. With it’s opposites attract theme, the author manages to give us a well rounded story with both humor and emotional angst in just 100 pages. Incredible! And I really love the original release cover.

Rhys is admittedly a bookworm/nerd of the highest order. He loves his librarian job, completely at home amongst the rows and rows of books. At home, he’s the same, perfectly content to while away the hours immersed in a book, escaping into whatever
Portia
Apr 28, 2012 Portia rated it really liked it
Rhys is a librarian’s assistant. He spends his days filing books and helping patrons. He loves his job and is content to spend his evenings reading alone in his apartment. Darren is a youthful offender assigned to Rhys’ library for community service in lieu of jail time. He just wants to do his hours and get the hell away from Rhys.

This book is wonderful. Darren and Rhys start in on each other from the very beginning. Darren sees Rhys as a pretentious geek and Rhys sees Darren as an illiterate P
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This is a sweet and cute story. Rhys was very much an ass in the beginning and he never apologizes for it, although he acknowledges it to himself. I'm not sure how much I liked his character but at least he didn't feel like every other MC in M/M stories. The fact that he's closeted is hilarious to me. I worked in libraries for seven years and 50% of the men who worked there were gay. Libraries are very liberal, much like Goodreads, and comparatively, it's an easy place to come out. I like Darren ...more
B
it needed more
Camila
Aug 15, 2014 Camila rated it it was amazing
Shelves: will-read-again
I had too much fun reading thi book.
Lidia
May 27, 2012 Lidia rated it really liked it
I really like books about books. Rhys the sympathetic and a neurotic nerd and works in a library. He is also a very lonely person, would like to find a male to be loved and never expected to find among the books. Darren is a bad boy but deep down he is also looking for someone who can love and guide. Between punches and kisses, Rhys and Darren discover that love goes beyond appearances. We can safely use a phrase of Dante, the book was convict ...
Vio
Nerdy bookie meets typical bad boy, its full on and Rhys is quite extreme and treats Darren like shit, attitude, attitude. The moody idiot needs to learn to be more accepting. I liked Darren and felt for him, a very tumultuous relationship between these two. A good opposites attract romance, not an easy one though.
orannia
Jul 23, 2012 orannia rated it it was amazing
CB
Jun 12, 2015 CB rated it it was amazing
A sweet story - these are the kinds of characters that make you keep rooting for them and hope to see them again so you know they made it. Young, hard choices behind them and more ahead...

Part of the Sexy Minds series which brings a Geek plus another together for lover - very entertaining.
Katy Beth Mckee
Sep 29, 2012 Katy Beth Mckee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Rhys works for the library and he sure doesn't want to help the with community service guy. Darren has made some bad choices but he's not just what you see either. For a short story its very powerful with an element of darkness.
Janie
Jan 03, 2013 Janie rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
Rhys and Darren were an unlikely pair, but they seemed to fit so well together once they figured out what the other wanted. I like stories of 2 very different types of people coming together and fitting so perfectly as one.
Elianara
Jul 08, 2012 Elianara rated it did not like it

This is a very rare 1 from me...

I just couldn't like either of the main characters. I just didn't root for them. So I didn't feel bad when the book came to an end.

Cecilia Rodriguez
May 27, 2012 Cecilia Rodriguez rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading it but the ending was rather abrupt, would have liked to see how their relationship developed.
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Cat
Genre: M/M Contemporary
Rated: 3 hearts

Check out the review on http://heartsonfirereviews.com/
OkayKim
Jun 23, 2012 OkayKim rated it it was amazing
Oh this one needs a sequel in the worse way. Love those geeky librarians.
Bookfreakazoid
May 04, 2012 Bookfreakazoid rated it really liked it
Who doesn't like a story about a nerd and a bad boy hooking up.
Rachel
Jun 22, 2012 Rachel rated it it was ok
Just Ok for me...never really warmed up to the characters.
Jean
Jun 06, 2012 Jean rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Short and very sweet.
Allie
Oct 24, 2012 Allie rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-m-m
3.5
  • Absent-Minded Astrophysicist (Astrophysicist, #1)
  • His Christmas Wish (Men of Charlestown, #1)
  • Always MJ
  • My Christmas Present
  • P’tit Cadeau
  • Blood Pond (Blood Pond, #1)
  • Physical Chemistry
  • A Family Found (Hamilton River, #1)
  • The Beast's Promise (Outside the City, #2)
  • Beau and the Beast
  • Astronomical (Astronomers #1)
  • The Epic Love Story of Doug and Stephen
  • Night Shift
  • An Immoveable Solitude
  • Love, Delivered
  • When the Bluebird Calls (Heart of the Mountain, #1)
  • Sins of the Father
  • Everyone's Man
Scarlet writes erotic romance.

Scarlet would rather stick pins in her eyes than go on Facebook but now sees the necessary evil of it. Please join her there for useless writing-related ramblings and hot men musings and ease her in gently. Bah.
More about Scarlet Blackwell...

A Mind is a Sexy Thing (8 books)
  • Absent-Minded Astrophysicist (Astrophysicist, #1)
  • Book Cover Lover
  • Moving Mountains (Finding Home, #1)
  • Physical Chemistry