Start by marking “The Puppet Maker's Bones (Death's Order, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Puppet Maker's Bones  (Death's Order, #1)

Read Book

The Puppet Maker's Bones (Death's Order #1)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  152 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
An angel of Death in Los Angeles.

A sociopath kills a young boy, a quiet teen, and then an entire family before turning his attention upon Pavel Trusnik, an elderly shut-in from across the street.

Loneliness can drive a normal man to madness, and Pavel Trusnik is not a normal man. After committing a crime that leaves him shunned and isolated, Pavel has only the fading memo
Paperback, First, 274 pages
Published April 4th 2012 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about The Puppet Maker's Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Puppet Maker's Bones

Bentwhistle the Dragon in a Threat from the Past by Paul CudeCrashing Back Down by Kristen Hope MazzolaThe Fairfax Fix by Dorothy May MercerTaken By The Huntsman by Mistral DawnIrradiance by David Bruns
Indie Writers Unite!
183rd out of 682 books — 729 voters
Treasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonThe Time Machine by H.G. WellsA Pitch for Justice by Harold KasselmanChildren of the Plantation by Faith MortimerThe Alternates by Christopher Douglas
Good Amazon Kindle Books
65th out of 98 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa
Oct 05, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
** I got this book as a Goodreads First Reads giveaway **

What do you get when you cross an Angel of Death, who is in denial of his purpose on Earth, and a teenager, who is a diobolical sociopath? You get a wonderful read that keeps you engrossed in the story to the very end. Pavil Trusnik's story begins in Prague three hundred years ago and tells of the trials he emcompasses throughout his life while in the hunt to find solace in love and hope. Fast forward to present day: Kevin has mastered his
Zoe Brooks
Aug 04, 2012 Zoe Brooks rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this psychological thriller/fantasy cross. After all it had so much that I love - puppets, a Czech setting, history and a large chunk of fantasy. The author Alisa Tangredi has really researched her puppet and Czech history backgrounds to create a totally authentic feel to her descriptions. The book is beautifully and intelligently written.

The book might disappoint those people who read it expecting violence and gore, but if you like intelligent books which do not conform to the expecta
Apr 02, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
It's rare I get a free book on Amazon and actually feel sort of badly about it: this is one of those times.

I loved the non-linear narrative structure, I loved the concept. Just a really well-executed story with plenty of room for the series to grow. I'm looking forward to reading her next books.
Cheryl M-M
Sep 21, 2012 Cheryl M-M rated it really liked it
This book takes a bold step beyond the usual realms of supernatural and paranormal genre. I do like quirky and new concepts and this one sneaks up on you in a slow unsuspecting way.
From the moment of his birth Pavel is connected with death and it takes him many years to find out why death follows him around. Indeed much like the scars on his shoulders, his real identity and scope of his true being remains a mystery for many years.
Pavel almost reminds me of various animals used to demonstrate the
Caleb Blake
Jan 31, 2015 Caleb Blake rated it it was amazing
Cross-posted from Papyrus Independent Author Reviews (http://papyrus.calebblake.net/2012/12/16/the-puppet-makers-bones-by-alisa-tangredi/)

Pavel is a shut-in, an old man who seems like an easy target to a local predator – but who will be the hunter and who, the hunted?

The Puppet Maker’s Bones is an interesting blend of psychological study, dark fantasy and mystery. The action is set in the present day, but the great majority of the novel is concerned with the historical background of Pavel, the p
Stewart
Jun 12, 2012 Stewart rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway and wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. I can honestly say that I absolutely love this book from beginning to end! Unlike many of the books I have read recently, The Puppet-Makers Bones was pure enjoyment. Alisa Tangredi doesn't try to be overly complicated or extremely intellectual with her story but she captures everything necessary to make the story a joy to read.

Although the story is a sad, dark tale, it was written in a way that made the r
Kathy
Jul 06, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it
This one came in today's mail, as I won a copy from Goodreads. Having lost my ereader..again... I started reading this one. Remember when horror stories were really suspenseful and made you want to sleep with a light on, without being full of gratuitous guts, gore, and violence? Well, it seem the GREAT ones are back again! As my students would say, this book is 'creeping me out!' Thank you, Alisa Tangredi!

I lost track of the week... but not the book! I've now finished it, and I wasn't disappoint
Robby
Jun 10, 2013 Robby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to Robby by: Goodreads Friends
Actually; I would rate this a (4.5). Sometimes you just take a chance on a selection to read. And sometimes you get lucky; very lucky. Well, call me Mr. Lucky because this selection was a hit in several phases of interest; ie. psychological thriller, suspense, horror, some fantasy, and a step into the supernatural and paranormal realm. Come on; what's not to like. Disturbed (sociopath) teen vs. disturbed (shut-in) elder. What a battle and what a story. Alisa Tangredi wrote this as Book 1 in the ...more
Christine
Dec 19, 2013 Christine rated it it was amazing
One of the most erudite, tension-packed, gut-wrenching stories I've read in a long time.

The emotional story is very real. It's about a man driven to madness by loneliness, until the only person he can relate to is a sociopath hell-bent on killing him for pleasure.

But if you think you're in for another sadistic serial-killer thriller, or another Stephen-King style horror story, or any of the Halloween franchise, you're in for either a treat or a disappointment. This book is not "inside the lines"
Georgeanna
Oct 25, 2012 Georgeanna rated it really liked it
The story of Pavel Trusnik was a new concept for me. It was very refreshing to find a new idea in the paranormal genre.This author made me care about Pavel and the others like him. She also made me hate the teenaged sociopath who lives across the street from our poor, dear Pavel. I don't want to put any spoilers in here because this is a rich story that really should be enjoyed as it unfolds, without any more hints.
I recieved a free copy of this book for review. I liked it so much that I intend
Lydia Schlais
Nov 15, 2012 Lydia Schlais rated it it was amazing
This was quite a different spin on legends and cupids. It brings the legend to life in a very emotional and exciting way. You always want to know what's going to happen to the main character Pavel. Pavel sticks on you as well. You feel what he feels, what he thinks, and know what certain things will bring. It keeps you involved through the book. It would recommend this book to anyone who likes historical fiction, twists on legends, or just a small story of murder.
Tracie
May 06, 2012 Tracie rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
The final confrontation between the teenage psychopathic killer Kevin and the mysterious shut-in Pavel is a little anti-climatic, but the story of Pavel's long life and growing understanding of what he is makes this an intriguing read.
Diane
Jun 25, 2012 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Just finished this one and what a great book! It's so unique
that it was like a breathe of fresh air. Can't wait to read the next one!
Kristina Franken
I highly recommend this book for anyone

FTC: I received a free copy of this book and was not reimbursed in any other way.
Tricia
Nov 25, 2012 Tricia rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
Now this was a refreshingly different book. Told over a span of centuries, all in a seamless fashion! A great read!
Rhonda
Jul 28, 2012 Rhonda rated it it was amazing
FABULOUS read!!! Can't recommend it highly enough. First in a series and I cannot wait for the others!
Amy
Nov 12, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Fell right into the mood and story. Highly recommend it.
Heather
Aug 08, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Interesting and enjoyable.
Sabriena
Sep 08, 2013 Sabriena rated it really liked it

This was a refreshing book to read in the paranormal genre. Of course paranormal always has me thinking about lame little romances. Anyway, this is about Pavel Trusnik who is very old but you also are taken back through time of his and explanation of what he is which is an angel of death.

I felt really, really bad for Pavel because he just wanted to have a normal life. He wanted to love and be loved but with the way he was, he was unable to do that or there would be horrible outcomes.

We also mee
Aleksandar
Kevin is young, charming and kills for fun. His old seclusive neighbour Pavel Trusnik who has no relatives and no friends looks like the perfect victim. Kevin is wrong. Pavel has a dark secret and he stays away from other people for a reason.

It is an interesting premise and while many books have one but fail to deliver, this one lives up to its promise. The writing is good and as the story unfolds we learn more and more about Pavel's past until the book reaches its climax with the meeting betwee
Kristy McRae
May 05, 2013 Kristy McRae rated it really liked it
A very interesting story that takes place both in the present and in the distant past, connected by a VERY long-lived character. I really liked the angel-of-death mythology. I had mixed feelings about the ending--while it seemed a bit abrupt, at the same time it was totally appropriate for the arc of the character's story. I'd be interested to see if there will be more books written as companions to this one. I'd definitely read them!
Asha Cohen
Apr 28, 2015 Asha Cohen rated it it was amazing
AWESOME BOOK!!
Rosalind M
Apr 26, 2013 Rosalind M rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
3.75 stars. Well written dark fiction with memorable characters. However, for me, the resolution was unequal to the buildup of the two stories. So much was also left unexplored; I don't need all of the details to make a good story, but small things that slid by without consequence (like the first kiss) bothered me.
latybug
Mar 08, 2014 latybug rated it it was amazing
I received a free download of this book from Story Cartel, thank you!
I liked this book. It had just enough of the supernatural element in it to be enjoyable for me, and not outlandish.
I found myself being thoroughly horrified at Kevin, and truly sorry for Pavel and his "condition." Being isolated is one of the worst things that can happen to a person, and Pavel's apparent descent into madness is understandable. What makes the book interesting is that his "madness" isn't really what it appears to
Diane Hernandez
Mar 08, 2014 Diane Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received a free copy of this book on story carel but that doesn't impact my review. This is the story of a young boy who is taken in by an older childless couple who run a puppet theater in Czechoslovakia. To say anything else about the plot would ruin the best part, the uncovering of the boy's history and what becomes of him in the future. This book is a fantasy tale, a horror story, historical fiction, and a thriller. It has everything but while reading it, it flows along perfectly together. ...more
Ty Hutchinson
Apr 10, 2013 Ty Hutchinson rated it really liked it
Beautiful writing. Loved the way the story unfolded through the present and the past.
Susan
May 29, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing
This book is extraordinary. It is extremely beautifully written and mannered. The characterisation of the main character is superior - I feel for Pavel, ache for Pavel and ultimately weep for him. This is catergorised as horror and I could not think of a more horrid existence. That said, it doesn't really fit that genre unless you look toward gothic horror of days past.
The story is ingenious and I really wanted to know what was to become of the characters. You feel all along that it cannot be a
Craig S.
Aug 03, 2012 Craig S. rated it really liked it
Interesting story,hard to put down,not normally my genre but would recommend
Jenniffer
Apr 04, 2013 Jenniffer rated it really liked it
Could not put it down. Read it almost in one sitting!
Alan Nayes
Oct 23, 2013 Alan Nayes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Tangredi’s The Puppet Maker’s Bones has elements of a Shakespearian tragedy and is as well written as any I have ever read. This compelling novel also has horror and paranormal elements, AND it’s a love story. Pavel Trusnik is a mysterious recluse who lives with a tragic secret that is revealed to us in layers as his story unfolds. The manner in which the author shifts seamlessly to the past and present makes for an entertaining read. From the first mention of the strange pair of scars on hi ...more
  • The Gift of Illusion
  • Trial and Terror
  • Anthology I: The Other Side
  • Colony of the Lost
  • Twisted Vengeance (Twisted Vengeance, #1)
  • The Winslow Incident
  • Bottled Abyss
  • House of Rain
  • A Playdate With Death (A Mommy-Track Mystery #3)
  • The Suicide Game
  • Girls & Monsters
  • Satanic Summer
  • Dark is the Sky
5819560
A native Californian, Alisa Tangredi currently resides in Van Nuys with her husband and their dog. She has written all her life, though most manuscripts were hidden in a drawer. She studied theatre and music at San Francisco State University and worked as a stage actress for thirty years, with sporadic employment in commercials and television. She was also an active participant in several Los Ange ...more
More about Alisa Tangredi...

Death's Order (2 books)
  • The Broken Angel's Wings (Death's Order, #2)