The Fabric Selector: The Essential Guide to Working with Fabrics, Trimmings and Notions

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  7 reviews
"This book is a brilliant reference guide for any sewist, covering hundreds of different types of fabric. It gives a general introduction to each fabric covering the origins and where you are likely to find it. It then describes the fabric properties, along with any special considerations you need to be aware of before using that fabric. Then you get advice on how to handl...more
Paperback
Published 2012 by Murdoch Books Australia (first published November 1st 2011)

Brittany
The Easter Bunny brought me this book this weekend and, ooooh, am I excited about it! Dana is a talented seamstress/crafter, such a good writer, and has such a fun personality, as you know if you read her blog MADE (at DanaMadeIt.com). This is her first book. It's a reference book, but I plan to read it cover-to-cover. When I'm finished with it I'll let you know how awesome it is.

Update: Yes, it was awesome. I loved the clean organization and writing, all the tips and uses for various fabrics, a...more
Vicky
Seems like a handy guide, although I have nothing to compare it to. I like that it is small enough to be portable. I also liked the info at the end about things like sewing needles. Very helpful. There were a few instances where I wish she would have defined a term she used, but for the most part I found it to be a helpful book from which I learned a lot that I didn't know before.
Michael
Concise but helpful guide to various types of fabrics and how to sew with them. The photography is well done and very useful, which is important for a book of this type since you can't actually hold the fabrics in your hand. Kudos to the author for highlighting the environmental impact of various fabrics and their methods of production.
Topaz

Great refferance book to have on my library shelf at home.
Rebecca
Good information for the beginning sewer.
Celeste
this is a GREAT resource!
Fanoula
Fanoula marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Norimah
Norimah marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Leizl Ladaga
Leizl Ladaga marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Sakina
Sakina marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Funda Tureli
Funda Tureli marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Luunhung
Luunhung marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Martha
Martha marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Mitali Pandya
Mitali Pandya marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Srabon Din
Srabon Din marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Tamar
Tamar added it
May 22, 2014
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Paige Beichler
Paige Beichler marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Kunle
Kunle marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Manpreet Pannu
Manpreet Pannu marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Adetola Ogunlusi
Adetola Ogunlusi marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Omalicha
Omalicha marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Praveen Singh
Praveen Singh marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014