Start by marking “Journey to the Lost City” as Want to Read:
Journey to the Lost City

Journey to the Lost City

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Taking its title from the cult horror movie classic, Jonathan Aaron’s third book, Journey to the Lost City, is a work of sharp wit, irony, and disarming tenderness. Cool, metaphysically quizzical, almost Eastern-European in sensibility, Aaron’s poems are a far cry from the dull, personal anecdotal quality that infects so much contemporary poetry. Savvy, intelligent, person ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Ausable Press

To ask other readers questions about Journey to the Lost City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journey to the Lost City

Jennn
It took me a little bit to warm up to his style. At first I thought it was a little bland, but then I really focused on it and enjoyed it more. Aaron is not fast-paced; he’s not in your face. His poetry doesn’t strong-arm its way into your mind. Instead it lingers like a ghost, and envelopes like a distant smell that you remember but can’t place. His poems range from nostalgic to quietly humorous or dreamlike. Each was an easy read that was down-to-earth and his audience can be very varied. I li ...more
A.M.
Sep 18, 2014 A.M. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
I always learn something new reading Jonathan Aaron's poems, because much of his poetry is about movies, characters, paintings and people from the past.

With Journey to the Lost City, I was introduced to an actress from the fifties named Debra Paget and watched a very intriguing video of her doing a snake dance in the movie, The Indian Tomb. An art lover, I was also happy to discover the works of Kurt Schwitters - his Merz collages and The Merzbau, in particular.

I love the poem "LADY WITH WHEELB
henry
a few weak spots, but overall a very imaginative book, very well-crafted book. lots of focus on cinema and history. imaginative ways of story-telling beyond the normal narrative, good at catching quick jumps in the mind.
09161667576 marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
CRS
CRS marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Zachary Najarian-Najafi
Zachary Najarian-Najafi marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Connor-jack Curran-proud
Connor-jack Curran-proud marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Mina
Mina marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2010
Victoria Sandbrook Flynn
Victoria Sandbrook Flynn marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2009
Era Singh
Era Singh marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2007