Know Not Why

Know Not Why

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  764 ratings  ·  178 reviews
Howie gets a job at Artie Kraft's Arts 'N Crafts hoping to score with his lady coworkers. After all, girls love a sensitive guy, and what's more sensitive than dedicating your life to selling yarn and ... stuff? (Okay, so maybe it'd be a good idea to actually learn what one sells at an arts 'n crafts store.) But things don't go exactly according to plan. Coworker #1 is Cor...more
Published April 23rd 2012 by Smashwords

I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier by Crystal RoseShattered Glass by Dani AlexanderCut & Run by Abigail RouxSno Ho by Ethan DayTigers and Devils by Sean Kennedy
The Best Humorous Gay Romances
36th out of 356 books — 858 voters
Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderArmed & Dangerous by Abigail RouxStars & Stripes by Abigail RouxChase in Shadow by Amy LaneWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2012
103rd out of 606 books — 1,387 voters

More lists with this book...

julio is a red panda
Mar 05, 2014 julio is a red panda rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to julio is a red panda by: Emma Sea
I thought it was rubbish, thank you for asking.

An ill-advised rhetorical device dooms a promising story to the brackish and mosquito-ridden end of the FML, why-am-I-reading-this-many-words-that-cause-me-pain literary pool.

Some will enjoy this a lot. Check it out; it's not terribly bad—but if you're irritated with the protagonist's early-and-often, inane, repetitive, juvenile and horridly self-centered and ill-tempered monologuing, be advised: it only gets worse.

As for me, all I could think were...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
***FYI, 50% Price drop to $2.99 at Amazon US, 12/8/13!***

**4.5 stars**

"Know Not Why" is my type of book. I love funny books, anything that shows cleverness and has fast, snappy dialogue. Oh my, this book had that in spades. I wanted to quote every page that I read; the dialog was crazy funny in the best possible way. I couldn't help but adore this book. It was one of those books that makes you happy. It was just so sweet. I also fell in love with all of the characters. Hannah Johnson did a fab j...more
M
I'm having one of those weeks where I just really need a hug. I really, really needed to read something with no angst, no bitterness, no unnecessary violence; something that's sweet without making me roll my eyes too much and funny enough to keep me entertained. This was it. My literary hug. In a huge way. It was exactly what I needed right now. There's no melodrama, no mystery and very little conflict. It's about (and narrated by) Howie, who, can I just say, is goddamn hilarious. I don't know w...more
Heller
I loved, loved, loved this book. Very coming of age that's not quite YA but classified more like new adult, college age.

Howie starts to work at a mom and pop arts and crafts store in the hopes of getting laid. His logic is that the women who work and shop there will see his sensitive, creative side and want to jump his bones.

Not exactly the best plan. ;)

The store is being run by the owners' son, Arthur. A man struggling under the pressure to keep the store afloat when competition from a larger...more
Tiya Rosa
This book owned me, you guys. When I was done, all I wanted to do was pleasure it orally while giving it chaste kisses and then serenading it with As The World Falls Down as I walk it to its door. I love each and every word on its pages and am currently struggling not to stalk Hannah Johnson online.

Howie is 22, lives at home, insistent in his heterosexuality and is a bit of an asshole in his pursuit to prove it. He applies for a job at an arts and crafts store 'cause he thinks it's a perfect pl...more
MLE
To make what could have been a very long review of gushing, and quoting, and more gushing short: I loved this book. I loved the way the characters talk, their sense of humor, and the way they interact with each other. I love that the way a character first appears does not define that person for the rest of the book. I love them for their mistakes, terrible jokes, their faults and flaws, and the fact that no matter how badly they screw up they kept trying. I love the fact that Howie's mother is s...more
Ami
Jan 09, 2013 Ami rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ami by: Nadine
3.85 stars rounded up

I have to be honest, when I first saw the number of words (110.000+ words), I was a bit scared. I had been lullabied with shorter stories since I jumped into the world of m/m romance few years ago, and nowadays, lengthy books worried me. Worried that I might get bored easily. Well, I didn't get bored with this one...

ALTHOUGH, the story probably could do with little trimming (I still thought it was a bit too long), I found Howie's voice to be quite enjoyable to spend few hour...more
Akansha
4.5

Know Not Why is not a book without flaws. In fact, it has some that are total turn-offs for me normally. However, it's also one of those rare books that might hold up on a re-read, at least for me.

Howie, a witty but flighty, recent college graduate who'd rather coast through life watching PBS than do some real work, decides to work in an art-and-craft store with the sole intention of getting laid (Go figure!) and suffice it to say, things don't pan out according to his master plan.

Howie's...more
Emma Sea
Smart, funny, adorables. I found it exhausting at times: I want to give Adderall to everyone in it except Emily and Arthur.

The weird thing for me was that Emily's behaviour was seen as so socially transgressive. I identified with Emily a great deal, and I fear I have been offending people IRL unknowingly :(

3.5 rounded up.
MandyM
4.5 stars. Charming story about Howie a 22 year old who puts his studies on hold to stay home and keep his mum company after the death of his father. He gets a dead-end job at an Arts & Crafts store and the people there slowly but surely change his life for the better.

This story is told in the first person POV of Howie. I loved his voice. He's kind of cool in an obnoxious way. He's very confused about girls. And he's full of funny one-liners and slang that are totally in keeping with his cha...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
May 09, 2012 Mandy*reads obsessively* rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mandy*reads obsessively* by: Anke
Shelves: m-m, fun-or-funny
I really enjoyed this story!
Howie's voice takes a bit of getting use to, but once I was quickly immersed in the story!
I don't quite know how to categorize this story, it's partly a coming of age ( Howie is 22) but has sort of been 'stuck', it's also a story of friendship and of course of coming out/ self realization.
I had a few laugh out loud moments and was smiling a lot while reading this, although I can imagine there will be people who might get annoyed by Howie's sense of humor.
This is als...more
Camille
Freaking hilarious and still substantial. I loved this book! Even got a little "melty" over it when it ended....totally awwwwww/worth it/moving.

ETA: this book remains in my top 5 m/m. It is beyond stellar :-)
Eli Easton
I *adored* this book so much. It's definitely going to be in my best reads of the year list. I've been in the mood for a good, solid, straight-up, slow build contemporary--no shifters or magic in sight--and this was exactly what I needed. There are so many things I loved about it.

First, the first person POV narrative voice was so witty and funny. It reminds me of a kinder, gentler "Tell Me It's Real". It took me a chapter or two to get into it, but then I just floated all the way through, often...more
Anke
4-4.5*

I just finished reading this book and now try to get my thoughts in some orderly written form. First, although the formatting and editing of the book is very good and it's rather long with 100.000+ words, I still think that $9,99 is too expensive for an unknown, self-published author. 2-4$ less would have been a fair price. Especially when thinking of similar quality books sold for 2,99$. Nevertheless the blurb and the cover got me to buying this book.

Now, the story: The first few pages we...more
Kelly  Maybedog
Five plus stars!

Thank you Plainbrownwrapper,Tiya Rosa,and Julesmarie, for being the reason I read this right away. This book is amazing and anyone who loves M/M humorous romances needs to read this. It's funny, smart, sweet, romantic, everything wonderful. The characters are interesting and fun. The story is completely believable and one of the sweetest romances I have ever read.

For the first fourth of the book, I laughed out loud at least once per page it was that funny. I laughed a good deal...more
DayDreamer
More like 4.5 stars, but either way I am impressed.

My biggest problem was (view spoiler)

Not so important for me, just no...more
Leanne
Oh, I loved this story!
Howie is an adorable underdog. At 22, the aimless twin of a perfect brother, he has sacrificed dreams of travel and escape from his little town to stay with his mom. He’s outwardly brash and funny as hell but inside he’s mostly sad and insecure. His finding a job at the craft store does so much more than lead him to love. It allows him to start believing in himself, to learn to open up and to trust others. Yes, he does accept the fact that he’s gay with surprisingly few q...more
Nika (Off to Neverland)
A brief summary of the story. Howie is desperate to get laid, so he comes up with the brilliant plan of getting a job at an art's & craft's store. He thins this way he'll get to meet tons of girls who'll think he's sensitive and decide to sleep with him. But that obviously doesn't happen. The store he gets hired at has three employees. The two girls, Kristy and Cora, are great and all but Howie is shocked to realize that he's starting to realize that he likes Arthur, his boss. Which is just...more
Jen
Know Not Why... this book's average rating is 4.3 stars. I only gave it a 2 because I did actually sort of like the other caricatures characters in the book. The only reason I didn't DNF it was because it was a buddy read.

I could spend a lot of time and energy going over why I hated this book, but it's not worth it.

Bottom line? Howie is an immature, selfish asshole to his classmates, his love interest, his best friend, his brother's girlfriend... the list goes on. Sure, he sort of gets over it...more
Audrey
Dec 16, 2012 Audrey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Audrey by: Tiya
Shelves: man-love
Not feeling very review-y articulate, so here are some pretty random thoughts.

- Brilliant and hilarious narrative, even if I'm not normally a fan of (1) first person and (2) present tense.
- Sweet romance.
- A discovering yourself/coming out m/m story.
- Kind of "new adult." (22 y.o. narrator.)
- Great, great, GREAT secondary characters.
- So bummed it was closed door sexytimes. Dammit. I was totally ready to perv on this couple.
- Fun, escapist feel to the storytelling.
- I'm pretty fact-based, so it...more
Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

Like yesterday's review of The Other Guy by Cary Attwell, this is another self-published book that I've been encouraged to read by friends and really awesome reviews on Goodreads. It is very different from that book, of course, and not without it's own problems, but the awesomeness of the book and the characters outweighed my frustration with some of the writing issues, leaving me really excited and hopeful that this author will continue writing.

Howi...more
Jenn
Probably more like a 3.5 but it cracked me up, so I'm rounding it to a 4.

This really felt like a novel in the big book idea way. Howie is a character that is so layered and witty and real that I couldn't help but fall in love with him. Seriously, the one-liners in this book are priceless.

I ADORED Kristie and even Cora made me laugh. I wasn't really fond of Amber, but she wasn't distracting enough to detract from the rest of the book.

The slow build between Howie and Arthur was a nice change from...more
Kaje Harper
This is a lovely book, funny and sweet with tug-at-your heart moments. The characters are quirky, almost to the point of caricature, but they don't quite fall off the edge, and you end up rooting for them. Although the MCs are in their early twenties, this is very much a YA-style book. Sex is off page, and this is a first-person account of self-discovery and coming out. That's not to say the story is immature, or shallow, but that these are very young men (especially the narrator) making the mis...more
Sheri
Witty & fun. Tremendously immature. Howie makeover.

Howie is an obnoxious young man trying to grow up. Admirably he gives up his college plans to stay home with his recently widowed mother, and finds himself stuck in a rut. He is pretty much a lazy pig, and realizes the ugly truth about himself along the journey of the story. He takes a job at the local craft store in hopes of scoring a relationship or at a minimum scratching an itch. He is not disappointed, but confused with the desires and...more
Nichole (Dirty H)
So when I started this book, I thought it would probably exhaust me pretty quickly and it would be a DNF. It just struck me that the author was trying way too hard to be funny, and it got on my nerves.
But the more I read, the more natural the narrator's voice felt. I don't know if it was me getting used to it, or the writing getting better but it got less forced and at some point I discovered, I actually did think it was funny, and even caught myself laughing out loud once or twice.

What's good a...more
deirdre
i am going to refrain from rating this, maybe?
i should not read YA or NA . . . just not my thing.
vLadimiR

A very funny and quirky novel about, Howie, a high school teenager "out to get the girls" by working at a crafts store owned by mild-mannered Arthur Kraft. Little did he know that he's about to get an unexpected catch.

Howie's thoughts were eccentric and his internal dialogue was sometimes over the top but it was truly entertaining to read. There were moments that I felt he needed to show a bit of seriousness and yet he still couldn't hold one solemn thought (which made me a little bit annoyed...more
Madison Parker
I really enjoyed this story. Howie has such a great sense of humor. The other people in his life may look at him and just see your average young guy, but being inside his head, we get to experience all of his wonderfully wacky thoughts.

Although the characters in this book are all at least 22 years old, it had a "young adult" feel to it. I guess Howie was a late bloomer.

I do wish we'd gotten more "alone time" with Howie and Arthur, but I respect the author's choice not to include their intimate...more
Nina
i loved howie and laughed out loud every five minutes (usually when he was speaking)... till about half of the book. then it all went to hell and i started to hate him. for no apparent reason other than the fact that i literally could not stand his voice. and that is why, though i loved the well-depicted multitude of secondary characters, i dragged this book around with me for so many days in a row and every single time i ended up listening to muse instead of reading it.
now i am finally...more
Sheziss

This one is SO funny!

description

And I absolutely loved it!!!

description

The humor is absurd, sarcastic, intelligent, black, ridiculous, good, bad, whatever!

I couldn't stop laughing!

description

But really, the story is great!

Howie has crazy ideas.

description

He decides to get a job to have a girlfriend. Because, really, it is as simple as that.

description

But he doesn't feel attracted to any of the girls working in the store.

description

So, his world will be upside down in a very mad way.

description

And he will have to face the truth.

description

And to be able to be proud.

description

So he can be happ...more
  • How to Repair a Mechanical Heart
  • The Other Guy
  • Gives Light (Gives Light, #1)
  • The Epic Love Story of Doug and Stephen
  • Sock it to Me, Santa!
  • The Boys and the Bees
  • Taboo For You
  • Pretty Shade of Grey
  • Kieran & Drew
  • Homo Action Love Story! A tall tale
  • Superhero
  • Something Like Spring (Seasons, #4)
  • Glitterland (Glitterland #1)
  • The Last Day Of Summer
  • Louder Than Sirens, Louder Than Bells (Love is Always Write)
  • The Student Prince (The Student Prince, #1)
  • Love Lessons (Love Lessons, #1)
  • Who We Are (Bear, Otter, and the Kid #2)
Hannah Johnson lives in Alaska, where she likes to watch lots of Netflix and write essays about how Jane Eyre and Bertha Mason should be best friends. Her books and stories usually involve inordinate amounts of whimsy, at least a little magic (or yarn), and lots of dorky heartfelt conversations. She has a master’s degree in English and a fairly eclectic sock collection. Sometimes those socks have...more
More about Hannah Johnson...
The Beautiful Thing: Fairytales Retold Fires I Would Like To Know Fairish And The One-Eyed Goatherd

“Um,” Arthur says. He’s looking at me dead-on, like he’s forcing himself to do it. God, I wish he would knock it off. I also wish he’d lose his eyelashes in a freak eyelash fire incident. And his lips, too, because all of a sudden I’m looking at them, what is that. “Yes. I thought we should discuss—”

“You mouth-mauling me?” I ask loudly, indignantly, like a tough sonuvabitch who doesn’t want to be mouth-mauled. I make myself meet his eyes. They’re green; I never paid attention before. This really light, interesting, intelligent green—

FUCK, this guy needs to STOP HAVING A FACE.”
20 likes
“You know, I don’t think it’s worth it to deny yourself happiness just so you can stay faithful to the person you think you’ve become.” 19 likes