Start by marking “The Mom 100 Cookbook: 100 Recipes Every Mom Needs in Her Back Pocket” as Want to Read:
The Mom 100 Cookbook: 100 Recipes Every Mom Needs in Her Back Pocket

The Mom 100 Cookbook: 100 Recipes Every Mom Needs in Her Back Pocket

Introducing the lifesaving cookbook for every mother with kids at home—the book that solves the 20 most common cooking dilemmas. What’s your predicament: breakfast on a harried school morning? The Mom 100’s got it—Personalized Pizzas are not only fast but are nutritious, and hey, it doesn’t get any better than pizza for breakfast. Kids making noise about the same old lunch ...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Mom 100 Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mom 100 Cookbook

Ivonne Rovira
Dec 12, 2015 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any mom
I’m a pretty bad mom. Really. I’m not kidding. How else to explain how I got to have a daughter who’s 24 years old but eats like a 4-year-old? A really picky 4-year-old. I joke with my friends that Laura only eats “blonde food”: macaroni and cheese, garlic bread, spaghetti with Parmesan cheese but absolutely no red sauce, gnocchi in olive oil, various cheeses, bananas, French fries, cheese pizza, most breads, chicken tenders, pasta in Alfredo sauce, cheese quesadilla, fried fish sandwiches, frie ...more
Lori
Sep 21, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it
The homemade granola recipe in this book is delicious! I've already made it twice. (I used dried apricots, apple juice sweetened cranberries, coconut and pecans.)

Seemed like a nice, practical cookbook from what I could determine. I only had a two week checkout from the library, and I was out of town for most of it, so I will definitely check it out again to see if there are any other good recipes. It also passed the "must have great photos" test.
Darren
Jun 27, 2012 Darren rated it really liked it
If you are not a mother (or mom, to use the American parlance) you might be forgiven for ignoring this book when browsing the mass of books in the cookery aisle at a bookstore. That could be a bit of a mistake...

Billed as a book featuring a hundred recipes that every mother would need for weekday meals, it is fair to say that the recipes could equally be suitable for everyone else too. Good, simple, tasty recipes that don't require a lot of planning. What more could you want? As per the book's b
Sep 13, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
These recipes are sound, but the book wasn't really for me. Basically, it's 100 family-friendly recipes, with variations for picky eaters, etc.

The recipes are indeed all family-friendly, but if you're an experienced cook, you probably already know how to make mac-and-cheese, chocolate cake and bruschetta. Some of the things didn't really require a recipe (fruit kabobs?). And the downside of some of these is that they take long - she does highlight those recipes by telling us to make them on a Su
Muffi
May 06, 2014 Muffi rated it really liked it
I use this cookbook ALL the time. it is nothing fancy; just a lot of basics that work every time, and when I ma low on groceries there is always SOMETHING in this book that I can make, and everything tastes great.

it only gets four stars because the author has at least 15-20 "waste of space" recipes, like how to make grilled cheese, how to make a hole in one, or how to make scrambled eggs (DUH!). But her tuna salad sandwich recipe more than makes up for it--my kids wouldn't touch tuna with a ten
Emma
Despite having the word "Mom" in the title, this is a really great cookbook. I say that because I'm essentially opposed to the idea of "mom cooking" or "kid food" - its just COOOKING and FOOD. I'm equally (maybe even more so) opposed to those gimmicky Mom cookbooks that advocate cooking and blending up hidden fruits and veggies in "kid food". Sorry Jessica Seinfeld but that's not happening. Who in their right mind has time for such nonsense, not to mention fooling your children into eating thing ...more
Tracy
Oct 27, 2014 Tracy rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This cookbook is packed full of mouth watering, delicious pictures to make any tummy rumble waiting to be fulfilled! I need to see pictures of what the food should look like and this book delivered!

My favorite chapter was Chapter 3, 'A Handful of Snacks'. How to cook Edamame several ways, what seasoning to use on Pita Chips that you make yourself (by the way you can also use soft tortillas instead of pitas). Chapter 5 'Souped Up' was pretty awesome because I love soup and need to make it as home
Kristina
Jun 16, 2012 Kristina rated it liked it
Great photos in this cookbook. But I didn't find many "new" recipes that I would use.
Cindy Hudson
Jul 27, 2012 Cindy Hudson rated it it was amazing
For many moms coming up with ideas for meals, then cooking them, can be one of the most frustrating things about family life. Even moms who love to cook may not feel there’s enough time to put healthy, tasty food on the table day after day and night after night. The Mom 100 Cookbook: 100 Recipes Every Mom Needs in Her Back Pocket comes to the rescue. Author Katie Workman, founding editor in chief of Cookstr.com, has written a cookbook that can help moms consistently serve food their families wil ...more
Diane
May 05, 2012 Diane rated it it was amazing
Subtitled 100 Recipes Every Mom Needs in Her Back Pocket Solutions For All The Cooking-For-Two-Kids Dilemmas That Everyone Faces Every Day (whew- that is a mouthful!), this is a well-organized book filled with solutions to moms' problems.

Every mom wants to feed her children healthy, home-cooked meals, and Workman's book can help with that often-overwhelming process. She starts with basic information, like 5 Basic Tips for Getting Your Kids to Eat More Things, and 17 Amazing Ingredients, olive oi
Heidi Pepin
Oct 20, 2015 Heidi Pepin rated it really liked it
So many of the recipes in this book look delicious and I can't wait to work my way through them, including shrimp risotto, mexican tortilla casserole, and the brisket recipe. The style of the book is quite humorous and breezy and I like that she imparts tips and tricks without being preachy or annoying and encourages the reader to try something different with a recipe.
Sarah Stehly
May 30, 2016 Sarah Stehly rated it it was amazing
Our favorite recipe is "I am the best mom in the world pancakes." These pancakes are amazing. Every recipe I have tried has been a success and I love that there is a "fork in the road" so that kids options can be divided without making completely separate kids meals. I also like that there are ideas for what your kids can help with along the way.
Angela Vonschmittou
Feb 20, 2015 Angela Vonschmittou rated it liked it
Pretty good book for anyone looking for new ideas for the family. She has a pretty broad range of recipes in here. There are things that I didn't realize you needed a recipe for (eggs), but there is always a twist, an extra technique, or a funny anecdote. While there are more complicated recipes than eggs, nothing is too difficult. I really like her fork in the road tips. I've adapted it to allow for one customizable option at every meal, which makes the kids happy without making too much extra ...more
Jane Dugger
Mar 31, 2016 Jane Dugger rated it liked it
I wasn't too sure about this one when it arrived from the library but during the 2016 Denver blizzard I sat down & really perused it. I was not disappointed. I found a lot of great new recipes.

This would be a great book for anyone.
Gail Luther
Feb 15, 2014 Gail Luther rated it it was amazing
I am trying to up my game in fixing meals and I really like this cookbook. They are down-to-earth simple recipes and the Hot Fudge Sauce, alone was worth the price of the book.
Anissa Rajala
Jan 13, 2015 Anissa Rajala rated it really liked it
Love the ideas and have implemented many of them already. The best is that most of the ideas are so simplistic, I wonder why I hadn't though to them already. Wonderful addition to my kitchen.
Linda
Jun 20, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook, 2016
I like the attitude expressed in these recipes: there is always a variation of every recipe to suit personal preference or ingredients on hand. It teaches flexibility and creativity when cooking.
Not so fond of the format, which wraps recipes around several pages. I especially dislike the referrals to other pages in the book, to retrieve small bits of knowledge necessary to complete a dish.
Bria
Jun 14, 2015 Bria rated it it was ok
Fine-ish but uninspiring. Not much new here. Glad that this was a library check out and not a purchase.
Meredith
Mar 13, 2015 Meredith rated it really liked it
As someone who reads cookbooks far more than cooks from them, this was a fun read.
Wallkrawler
Jan 02, 2015 Wallkrawler rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Helpful and entertaining. Nothing groundbreaking, but good options for families
Emily Tandy
Apr 12, 2014 Emily Tandy rated it really liked it
Decent basic cookbook. I like the variations given for picky eaters.
Monique
Nov 23, 2013 Monique rated it really liked it
Workman has a sense of humor and has definitely served time as a mom. The dilemmas are real-life issues and the solutions are straight forward (also easy to execute). The "fork in the road", side notes and family commentary all made me laugh out loud. Reads more like a comedy novel then a cookbook which was a plus to me. However, some of the recipes won't work for my picky eaters...I'm trying a few anyway (somebody will eat it right?). The subtitle is perfect - 100 Recipes Every Mom Needs in Her ...more
Julie
Oct 27, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A good cookbook for busy parents who want to share a variety of nutritious but kid-friendly foods that are straightforward to cook. The one-pot brownies are fantastic (I still want to try them with dark cocoa powder, too!) The lentil and tomato soup is the next on my list to try.

Usually I prefer to borrow cookbooks from the library, but I am considering buying this one.
Denise
Oct 03, 2012 Denise rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! So many good recipes, with so many good suggestions! This book is very reader friendly, not too fancy, like some cookbooks seem to be, with ingredients you can't easily find. The author understands being a time-constrained mom with hungry,picky kids. I borrowed this one from the library, but I plan on buying my own book soon.
Becky
Dec 22, 2012 Becky rated it liked it
Miso cod fingers.. uh, yeah, my kids will eat that! There are a few good tips in this book, but definitely not what I was hoping for. I guess when it is labeled "mom" I expect something more than just normal recipes. Definitely not "life saving" as the description says.
Nicole
Nov 05, 2015 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Some of the recipes are "duh" recipes. I only copied out one recipe since the most were not what I eat normally or just not interesting enough. Great for starter cooks and busy moms (as the title depicts).
Carrilyne
Dec 10, 2012 Carrilyne rated it it was amazing
Picked this up at my kids book fair! Its awesome! As a mom who has been cooking for kids for the past 11 years this still had great ideas tips and of course 100 awesome recipes! She is funny are so realistic!
Michelle
Jan 03, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
I love this cookbook and love that I found it at the Scholastic Book Fair! I enjoy Katie Workman's easy style and how the book is arranged in sections is a huge help.
Lia
Jan 15, 2013 Lia rated it it was amazing
I use this book at least twice a month. Love the recipes. I'm eating the One Skillet Cheesy Beef and Macaroni as a leftover for lunch today. Yum.
Tricia
I thought for sure this would be super handy...not so much in my opinion. I pulled a couple of possible recipes and that's about it.
  • Mark Bittman's Quick and Easy Recipes from the New York Times
  • Slow Cooker: The Best Cookbook Ever
  • Start Fresh: Your Child's Jump Start to Lifelong Healthy Eating
  • Bobby Flay's Bar Americain Cookbook
  • Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge: The Ultimate Guide to Mastery, with Authentic Recipes and Stories
  • Mad Hungry: Feeding Men and Boys: Recipes, Strategies, and Survival Techniques
  • Martha Stewart's Dinner at Home: 52 Quick Meals to Cook for Family and Friends
  • The Slow Cooker Cookbook: 87 Easy, Healthy, and Delicious Recipes for Slow Cooked Meals
  • The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook: 101 Asian Recipes Simple Enough for Tonight's Dinner
  • The Mexican Slow Cooker: Recipes for Mole, Enchiladas, Carnitas, Chile Verde Pork, and More Favorites
  • The Cookie Dough Lover's Cookbook: Cookies, Cakes, Candies, and More
  • The Bonne Femme Cookbook: Simple, Splendid Food That French Women Cook Every Day
  • Weight Watchers One Pot Cookbook
  • Recipes From My Home Kitchen : Asian And American Comfort Food
  • The Crockin' Girls Slow Cookin' Companion: Yummy Recipes from Family, Friends, and Our Crockin' Community
  • JoAnn and Vickie's Favorite Recipes