Start by marking “Glitter and Trauma” as Want to Read:
Glitter and Trauma

Glitter and Trauma

A reluctant superhero is on the hunt for a sidekick she doesn't want. An urban fantasy adventure story with a superhero twist. An essential novella for comic book fans.
Published April 14th 2012 by Emma Kathryn

To ask other readers questions about Glitter and Trauma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glitter and Trauma

Thomas Winship
Sep 28, 2012 Thomas Winship rated it it was amazing
In “Glitter and Trauma,” Emma Kathryn introduces Sarah—aka the Illuminator—a superhero in a world where shadows harbor more than the run-of-the-mill beggars and thieves. Joined by her friend (who wants to be her lover), Patch, and her sometimes lover, Leech, Sarah kicks ass, takes names, and keeps the world safe.

Sarah, a Taker of Power (it sounds negative, but isn’t), has been fighting the good fight since she was a teenager, but she’s been missing one thing all along: the Giver of Power she’s
Diantha Jones
Jun 02, 2012 Diantha Jones rated it liked it
Glitter and Trauma could have been a lot of things it’s not. It could’ve been loads of fun, crazy exciting, and two tons of hilarious. However, I found myself confused half of the time and wishing I had an explanation.

The main character, Sarah, is my kind of kick-ass heroine. She’s sarcastic, impatient, and loves a good fight. The other characters ranged from totally loved (Patch), to really liked (Leech), to totally annoyed me (Ellie). But the range of characters gives the story a nice feel an
Kai
May 13, 2012 Kai added it
I lucked into a free download of this book for Free Comic Books Day, and I'm glad I took the opportunity. There were some genuinely suspenseful parts, such as the flashbacks to Sarah (aka The Illuminator) and what she was like in high school, and the fight during which she discovered her powers as a Light One during her first encounter with a Dark One.
I also liked the little self-referential bits, such as the joking references Sarah makes to comic book heroes like the X-Men. It showed me that
Tragedienne
Jul 30, 2012 Tragedienne rated it it was amazing
After reading "Puppets & Dolls" I have been aching to read more work from Emma Kathryn. So I was ecstatic to find that she had written a second novella. Action packed, and very well written. Although this feels like a second part should be added on the story. The story also works as a stand alone piece. Ms. Kathryn definitely wraps up this jewel quite nicely and offers a delightful "black bow" on top of it. Not a novel for the mainstream but if you're looking for something dark, action packe ...more
Noree Cosper
Nov 23, 2012 Noree Cosper rated it really liked it
This book was action packed. All the character were well rounded, from Sarah, the kickass main character, to Patch and Ellie. Even Leech. My favorite parts of the book were glimpses into Sarah's past and how she discovered her power.

I wish there was a little more background on the Light and Dark, but this is a novella so I understand some of the lack of depth.

Bottom line. This is a fun book and I;m looking forward to seeing it in comic book form.
Troy Blackford
May 30, 2012 Troy Blackford rated it liked it
This was an interesting novella by a young, upcoming writer. A sort of play on the 'superhero' theme, it is set in London and has everything you would expect in a mashup of horror, fashion, and heroics: vodka, shadow demons, dominatrix boots, Lady Gaga music.

Clearly intended to be the first of a series, the story ends on a rather 'to be continued...' note, but the flashbacks to the main character's youth and the interesting portrayal of nightlife-gone-wrong make this novella worth a read.
Samuel
May 12, 2012 Samuel rated it liked it
It was okay. It certainly was terrible, or even bad, but neither was it excellent. If you like stories that don't quite play it straight, then I suggest this story.
Ani
Jun 21, 2012 Ani rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
It just seemed to lack in some areas in my opinion. It was a great, quick subway read but wasn't satisfying in the slightest.
Masquerade Crew
Masquerade Crew rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2012
Annie
Annie rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Suomynona
Suomynona rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2015
Anect Rivas
Anect Rivas rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
May 18, 2012
Jack Chambers
Jack Chambers rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2012
Sandeep
Sandeep rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2012
Kat Anderberg
Kat Anderberg rated it it was ok
Apr 06, 2013
Ariyana Spencer
Ariyana Spencer rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2012
Gary Henry
Gary Henry rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2012
Chaste Duncan
Chaste Duncan rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2017
Craig Parkinson
Craig Parkinson rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2012
Percie Edgeler
Percie Edgeler rated it did not like it
May 04, 2017
Ben
Ben rated it it was ok
May 09, 2012
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
May 05, 2012
Kelly
Kelly added it
May 19, 2012
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2012
Cheryl Hart
Cheryl Hart marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2012
Theta Sigma
Theta Sigma marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2012
Leigh Parker
Leigh Parker marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2012
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2012
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2012
Andréa
Andréa marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2012
Elizabeth Barone
Elizabeth Barone marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2012
S.M. Hineline
S.M. Hineline marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2012
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2013
Chris Novus
Chris Novus marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Kaelee Newton
Kaelee Newton marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Miss Thing
Miss Thing marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Nikki Jeske
Nikki Jeske marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Merridew
Merridew marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Gracie
Gracie marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Tara Blake
Tara Blake marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Glitter and Trauma OST 1 3 May 11, 2012 07:22AM
3520557
Emma Kathryn is a horror writer from Glasgow, Scotland. She has had several short stories published in various anthologies in the USA, Canada and the UK.

You can find her blog at http://bewarethevampirebunnies.blogsp... or on Twitter @girlofgotham

She is rather tiny and rather mad.
More about Emma Kathryn...