Start by marking “Glitter and Trauma” as Want to Read:
Glitter and Trauma

Glitter and Trauma

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A reluctant superhero is on the hunt for a sidekick she doesn't want. An urban fantasy adventure story with a superhero twist. An essential novella for comic book fans.
Published April 14th 2012 by Emma Kathryn

To ask other readers questions about Glitter and Trauma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glitter and Trauma

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsVampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Girls Who Kick Ass
126th out of 587 books — 518 voters
Insurgent by Veronica RothThe Forever Girl by Rebecca  HamiltonThe Boy Who Played With Dark Matter by Holy Ghost WriterHallowed by Cynthia HandCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare
Published in 2012
188th out of 352 books — 423 voters

More lists with this book...

Thomas Winship
In “Glitter and Trauma,” Emma Kathryn introduces Sarah—aka the Illuminator—a superhero in a world where shadows harbor more than the run-of-the-mill beggars and thieves. Joined by her friend (who wants to be her lover), Patch, and her sometimes lover, Leech, Sarah kicks ass, takes names, and keeps the world safe.

Sarah, a Taker of Power (it sounds negative, but isn’t), has been fighting the good fight since she was a teenager, but she’s been missing one thing all along: the Giver of Power she’s
Diantha Jones
Glitter and Trauma could have been a lot of things it’s not. It could’ve been loads of fun, crazy exciting, and two tons of hilarious. However, I found myself confused half of the time and wishing I had an explanation.

The main character, Sarah, is my kind of kick-ass heroine. She’s sarcastic, impatient, and loves a good fight. The other characters ranged from totally loved (Patch), to really liked (Leech), to totally annoyed me (Ellie). But the range of characters gives the story a nice feel an
Kai
May 14, 2012 Kai added it
I lucked into a free download of this book for Free Comic Books Day, and I'm glad I took the opportunity. There were some genuinely suspenseful parts, such as the flashbacks to Sarah (aka The Illuminator) and what she was like in high school, and the fight during which she discovered her powers as a Light One during her first encounter with a Dark One.
I also liked the little self-referential bits, such as the joking references Sarah makes to comic book heroes like the X-Men. It showed me that
Tragedienne
After reading "Puppets & Dolls" I have been aching to read more work from Emma Kathryn. So I was ecstatic to find that she had written a second novella. Action packed, and very well written. Although this feels like a second part should be added on the story. The story also works as a stand alone piece. Ms. Kathryn definitely wraps up this jewel quite nicely and offers a delightful "black bow" on top of it. Not a novel for the mainstream but if you're looking for something dark, action packe ...more
Troy Blackford
This was an interesting novella by a young, upcoming writer. A sort of play on the 'superhero' theme, it is set in London and has everything you would expect in a mashup of horror, fashion, and heroics: vodka, shadow demons, dominatrix boots, Lady Gaga music.

Clearly intended to be the first of a series, the story ends on a rather 'to be continued...' note, but the flashbacks to the main character's youth and the interesting portrayal of nightlife-gone-wrong make this novella worth a read.
Noree Cosper
This book was action packed. All the character were well rounded, from Sarah, the kickass main character, to Patch and Ellie. Even Leech. My favorite parts of the book were glimpses into Sarah's past and how she discovered her power.

I wish there was a little more background on the Light and Dark, but this is a novella so I understand some of the lack of depth.

Bottom line. This is a fun book and I;m looking forward to seeing it in comic book form.
Samuel
It was okay. It certainly was terrible, or even bad, but neither was it excellent. If you like stories that don't quite play it straight, then I suggest this story.
Ani
Jun 29, 2012 Ani rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
It just seemed to lack in some areas in my opinion. It was a great, quick subway read but wasn't satisfying in the slightest.
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Merridew
Merridew marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Nikki Jeske
Nikki Jeske marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Miss Thing
Miss Thing marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Kaelee Newton
Kaelee Newton marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
grumpyhawk
grumpyhawk marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2013
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2013
Miranda Merrill
Miranda Merrill marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2013
S.M. Hineline
S.M. Hineline marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2012
Elizabeth Barone
Elizabeth Barone marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2012
Andréa
Andréa marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2012
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2012
Glitter and Trauma OST 1 3 May 11, 2012 07:22AM
3520557
Emma Kathryn is a horror writer from Glasgow, Scotland. She has had several short stories published in various anthologies in the USA, Canada and the UK.

You can find her blog at http://bewarethevampirebunnies.blogsp... or on Twitter @girlofgotham

She is rather tiny and rather mad.
More about Emma Kathryn...
Puppets and Dolls Carnival: A Horror Anthology Fem-Fangs (a Vampire Anthology) Howl: Dark Tales of the Feral and Infernal Gothic Poems and Fiction