Start by marking “Seed by Seed: The Legend and Legacy of John "Appleseed" Chapman” as Want to Read:
Seed by Seed: The Legend and Legacy of John "Appleseed" Chapman

Seed by Seed: The Legend and Legacy of John "Appleseed" Chapman

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  307 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
His real name was John Chapman.
He grew apples.

But wait. So what?
Why should we remember him
and read about him
and think about him
and talk about him today,
more than two hundred years after he was born?
Why should we call him a hero?

Esme Raji Codell and Lynne Rae Perkins show us, in eloquent words and exhilarating pictures, why Johnny Appleseed matters now, perhaps more than ev
Published August 21st 2012 by Greenwillow Books, an imprint of HarperCollins Children's

To ask other readers questions about Seed by Seed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seed by Seed

Lisa Vegan
Dec 04, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those interested in the legend, kids who like animals, who like apples, who are vegetarian
I could have done without the religious references, not Chapman’s as that’s who he was, but the extra material.

But I really liked this book.

I was very familiar with the Johnny Appleseed legend when I was young, but didn’t know much about the real man. I didn’t know he was vegetarian, and I didn’t know any of the information in this book.

The story is interesting and I like the technique of having kids imagine themselves being back a couple hundred years.

I love the messages in the book/from Ch
Jill
Jan 15, 2013 Jill rated it really liked it
I have great respect for the award-winning author and educator Esmé Raji Codell (I especially loved her book Educating Esmé: Diary of a Teacher's First Year) so I had high expectations for Seed by Seed. Fortunately I was not disappointed!

Codell went to great lengths to find out and specify which parts of the Johnny Appleseed story are legend; fact; or “stories we’re not sure are true.”

What we do know, Codell writes, is "…that by doing the same small act of planting seeds every day, Johnny Apples
Margaret

Originally posted on www.CreativeMadnessMama.comSeed by Seed Review
Why should we remember Johnny Appleseed today—more than two hundred years after he was born—and call him a hero? Why are the life and lessons of John Appleseed relevant to kids now? This extraordinary picture book answers these questions and more and challenges readers to follow the five footsteps John Chapman left behind: 1. Use what you have 2. Share what you have 3. Respect nature 4. Try to make peace where there is war 5. You can reach your des
Barbara
This picture book biography describes the actions of the man who became known as Johnny Appleseed. While his tendency to plant literal seeds that would eventually grow into trees that would bear fruit mirrored the careful way that he lived his life, metaphorically sowing seeds of peacefulness and harmony among others. The author provides five lessons that each of us can learn, thanks to his example. I like how the book moves from the hustle and bustle of modern times back to when he lived and se ...more
Kristen
This is what good biographies do: introduce you to the life of a real person and inspire you to make a difference in your own life. We have several biographies of Johnny Appleseed in our library, but this one pulls readers out of our electronic, plastic world and into the woods of the frontier. We see a man so dedicated to making the world a better place, seed by seed, deed by deed, that he traveled for hundreds of miles on foot, planting apple trees and extending kindness wherever he could.

Aft
Sarah Zablotney
Title: Seed by Seed The Legend and Legacy of John “Appleseed” Chapman
Author: Esmé Raji Codell
Illustrator: Lynne Rae Perkins
Genre: Legend and Legacy
Theme(s): Giving back
Opening line/sentence: “When we look out our windows, what do we see?”
Brief Book Summary: Two children follow John “Appleseed” Chapman through his journey of planting apple seed’s around the country. They learn how important he was, the apples that we eat today might be from the seeds that were planted by Chapman in the 1700’
Amy
Sep 16, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
This picture book biography describes life in Johnny Appleseed's day, taking kids back through time. Johnny's life revolved around the following principles:

Use What You Have
Share What You Have
Respect Nature
Try to Make Peace Where There Is War

Johnny's life was as simple as a monk. He wore clothes that were given to him, tried to make peace between Native Americans and colonists and strove to follow a spiritual directive to bring fruit to the West. Great book for a church group, as it focuses on t
Tasha
Dec 21, 2012 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Two modern children are transported back in time from the busy highways filled with cars to the quiet woods of the late 1700s. From there, the story of Johnny Appleseed, really named John Chapman, is told. The differences between the world back then and our modern world are explored. Then the way of life that Johnny Appleseed embraced that of using what you have, respecting nature, sharing, making peace, and reaching your destination in small steps is tied back to how important those things are ...more
Kay Ray
Feb 01, 2013 Kay Ray rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic
Seed By Seed is story that talks about a legend story Johnny Appleseed. It used a lot of examples from the story to talk about and express life. Chapman went on adventure across America and he would plant tress, apple tress everywhere he went. His plan was to show just how much a little seed could do. The seed would grow a beautiful apple tree. He wanted to use that as an example as just what could happen in life; taking something small and watch how it can make a big difference.
This book shows
Chelsea Gail Smith
Jan 30, 2013 Chelsea Gail Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: caldecott
Seed By Seed: The Legend and Legacy of John "Appleseed" Chapman by Esme Raji Codell and Illustrated by Lynne Rae Perkins was the book that I thought should have won the 2013 Caldecott Award. What really caught my eye with the illustrations were the vibrant colors expressed on every page. There is a lot of land/ farm pictures in the story and each picture is descriptive. If the story did not have words, I would still be able to tell what was going on based on the illustrations. The pages 22-25 ar ...more
Ellen Shackley
Oct 15, 2012 Ellen Shackley rated it it was amazing
Genre: Contemporary/ Historical

Summary: This book chronicles the life of John "Appleseed" Chapman and explains the values that he worked to instill in society.

A) Area of Focus: Theme

B) The author presents the various themes of using what you have, sharing what you have, respecting nature, trying to make peace where there is war, and reaching your destination by taking small steps in a very understandable way for young children. These themes can be complicated and difficult for children to conn
Karen Peters
Nov 15, 2012 Karen Peters rated it really liked it
Seed by Seed, The Legend and Legacy of John "Appleseed" Chapman written by Esme Raji Codell and illustrated by Lynne Rae Perkins is a non-fiction picture book for the Primary(P) reader.

We all think we know the character Johnny Appleseed, famous for planting apple seeds where ever he roamed. Codell artfully depicts a side of this well-loved character some may not know. A moral story is being told within these brightly water color illustrated pages. The reader is taken from the hectic pace of toda
Valerie Jones
Oct 04, 2012 Valerie Jones rated it really liked it
A positive message told through the legacy of Johnny Appleseed
In this book, the fast paced world we live in is put on hold to tell the tale of Johnny Appleseed. Using the life and examples that John “Appleseed” Chapman set in his travels across America planting apple trees, a wider moral story is told among the bright and uniquely illustrated pages.
Part fact, part fiction, the tale of Johnny Appleseed’s travels across the United States usually focuses solely on apples. In Seed by Seed, a more
Leigh Fairey
Jul 28, 2012 Leigh Fairey rated it it was amazing
Seed by Seed: The legend and legacy of John “Appleseed” Chapman
by Esmé Raji Codell illustrated by Lynne Rae Perkins.

Esmé Codell, Chicago librarian of Educating Esmé fame and Lynne Rae Perkins, illustrator and Newbery Award winner, have teamed up to inspire young people with a stunning new picture book.
Although many of the facts of John Chapman’s life are unknown, his legend and legacy, told here by Codell, present a powerful inculcation for earth stewardship. Seed by Seed begins with two ch
Kimberly
Jul 27, 2014 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
Seed by Seed: The Legend and Legacy of John "Appleseed" starts out with two children staring out a window overlooking a city, daydreaming of what the landscape would have looked like before the streets were paved and skyscrapers were built. Their imagination takes them on a trail in a snow covered forest that leads them to a man named John Chapman, aka Johnny Appleseed. This book tells his story of how he shared and planted his seeds across the states and how John and his seeds affected the worl ...more
Courtney
I read through this pretty quick - it looked like the text was written in metre.

The story starts out slow, but eventually goes to a summary of the life of Johnny Appleseed. What he did, what his motives were, and the kind of person he was.

It's not bad. It would have been better if it was just about him, and not so much focus on other stuff at the beginning. Nice illustrations. Interesting enough that I'll have to check out a biography on him at some point.
Lily
Aug 18, 2014 Lily rated it really liked it
I learned the Irish word tenalach today, which means being spiritually in tune with nature. This word perfectly describes Johnny Appleseed. I think this is a deep and profound children's book about a remarkable man. I always enjoy reading about people who live their lives so humbly. It's one I will read again. This book teaches children to value earth, animals, people and plants. I like the little fact about a type of fennel being nicknamed Johnny Weed.
Angela Hutchinson
This book is about the legend and legacy of Johnny Appleseed, who's real name was John Chapman. In this book, Codell slowly shows his readers how the landscape of our nation was changed because a man planted apple seeds. There are also good morals in this book such as, use what you have, share what you have, respect nature, and try to make peace where there is war. At the end of the book, it says, "One small deed, every day. What will you plant?". This would be a great book to read on or around ...more
Lelandic
Nov 20, 2014 Lelandic rated it it was amazing
Chapman worked to change things for the better wherever he traveled - 'seed by seed' and 'deed by deed'. This book speaks to one man's desire to live unobtrusively, to cultivate community, promote positive change in behaviors and attitudes in the people he met. Chapman' story illustrates that whatever humble circumstances one might find themselves in, they can still have considerable positive influence on the world around them.
Phoebe
An interesting new picture book biography of Johnny Appleseed that takes a step beyond the norm for this type of nonfiction. The author, while imparting the general details of Johnny's life, (and answering that important question of where he got those seeds to begin with!)asks the reader to step into five important "footsteps" left by Johnny. Here is where the text works well as a book for older readers and adults, and goes a bit beyond the understanding and interest of younger children (under 8 ...more
Bethe
Sep 05, 2014 Bethe rated it really liked it
Unusual presentation and format for Appleseed's/Chapman's bio, starting with a travel back in time to the 18th century for 2 children. They observe how he lived his life via 5 civic examples or precepts. Chapman was also first frontier librarian! Variety of media used in illustrations add to uniqueness of book. Verso has sources, back matter includes a craft activity and recipe for apple pie.
Christina
Sep 28, 2013 Christina rated it really liked it
A lyrical picture book biography of Johnny Appleseed, that sets the scene for modern readers by having them imagine going back in time to before our world was full of airplanes and devices, to when you might only hear "the creaking of a wagon wheel...or the fall of an axe against wood." Lovely to engage the reader's other senses this way. Text explains that much of what we think we know about him is legend, and sets out the facts. Uses his example of respecting nature, sharing what you have, and ...more
Valerie Barnhart
In history, we tell a story of John Chapman. The legend of Johnny Appleseed may not be true , but the man John Chapman was real. Before days of cars and fancy machines, he was a farmer. He lived by example. Messages of goodwill, peace, and grace went with John as he planted apple seeds and changed the landscape of America. What seed will you plant?

Descriptive form of nonfiction.
Wendy Kuzma
Sep 26, 2014 Wendy Kuzma rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, fall, gardens
This is a great nonfiction book told in storybook format that not only explains the facts versus the legends about John Chapman but also the type of person he was and the difference he made in people's lives. It encourages the reader at the end of the story to see what types of seeds they want to plant in the lives of others.
Amanda Curless
Mar 18, 2016 Amanda Curless rated it really liked it
Shelves: royal-clear-ccpl
The photography in this book is very vibrant and well matched to the text. It is a good reference book for kids to learn about the seasons and visualize what people typically do during the spring season. It would be a nice companion for a curriculum about seasons and for reference as well.
Megan
Oct 25, 2012 Megan rated it it was amazing
Summary: This story tells the life of Johnny Appleseed and shares with us the good examples that he planted for the future: use what you have, share what you have, respect nature, try to make peace where there is war, and you can reach your destination by taking small steps. This book also includes fun facts for the reader.
Audience: K-2
Appeal: Tells the story of Johnny Appleseed with great pictures.
Implementation: I would use this to teach my student about Johnny Appleseed and the importance of
Linda
I loved this story of Johnny Appleseed, especially the fact that the author included many small moments, like the way Johnny wore shirts cut out of feed sacks. And that not only did he carry seeds to plant or give away, but he was a traveling self-appointed librarian. Evidently, Johnny carried parts of texts to hand out as he traveled through the land. It’s an inspiring book, relying on a organization that follows several perfect precepts like “Use What You have” and “Try to make peace where the ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Mar 12, 2016 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Do we really need another book about Johnny Appleseed? In my primary library I have seventeen different books about Johnny Appleseed.

Now I have eighteen. And I am very happy with this new look at Johnny. Before I even saw the book, I knew I'd love it; how can you go wrong with a collaboration between the amazing Esme Raji Codell and the wonderful Lynne Rae Perkins?

This is a magnificent book. The story carries us from present day America into life at the time of John Chapman. We spend time with
Amy
Jul 23, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to share this beautiful version of Johnny Appleseed with kids on John Chapman's birthday! What a great way to begin the school year ~ what seed will you plant today? What deed will you do to make a difference?
Mackenzie
Apr 28, 2015 Mackenzie added it
Shelves: biography
I chose this book because everyone knows about Johnny Appleseed, but don't really know his story. I think it would be a good book to read and could be used for information on Appleseed.
  • Helen's Big World: The Life of Helen Keller
  • Life in the Ocean: The Story of Oceanographer Sylvia Earle
  • Electric Ben: The Amazing Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin
  • Fifty Cents and a Dream: Young Booker T. Washington
  • Mrs. Harkness and the Panda
  • The Camping Trip That Changed America
  • Annie and Helen
  • Barnum's Bones: How Barnum Brown Discovered the Most Famous Dinosaur in the World
  • There Goes Ted Williams: The Greatest Hitter Who Ever Lived
  • Here Come the Girl Scouts!: The Amazing All-True Story of  Juliette 'Daisy' Gordon Low and Her Great Adventure
  • The Tree Lady: The True Story of How One Tree-Loving Woman Changed a City Forever
  • Timeless Thomas: How Thomas Edison Changed Our Lives
  • Brothers at Bat: The True Story of an Amazing All-Brother Baseball Team
  • Rachel Carson and Her Book That Changed the World
  • Miss Moore Thought Otherwise: How Anne Carroll Moore Created Libraries for Children
  • Looking at Lincoln
  • A Home for Mr. Emerson
  • The Beatles Were Fab  (and They Were Funny)
Esme Raji Codell is the recipient of a prestigious James Patterson Pageturner Award for spreading the excitement of books in an effective and original way. She has been a keynote speaker for the International Reading Association and the American Library Association, a “virtual” keynote for the National Education Association’s “Stay Afloat!” online conference for first-year teachers, and a featured ...more
More about Esmé Raji Codell...