Start by marking “Little Sweet Potato” as Want to Read:
Little Sweet Potato

Little Sweet Potato

It's not all mulch and sunshine out there.

When Little Sweet Potato rolls away from his patch, he is forced to search for a new home. He stumbles upon some very mean plants and flowers on his journey and begins to wonder: Is he too lumpy and bumpy to belong anywhere? Will Little Sweet Potato ever find a home that's just right for him?
Published August 21st 2012 by Katherine Tegen Books, an imprint of HarperCollins Children's

To ask other readers questions about Little Sweet Potato, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Sweet Potato

Jeff
Nov 21, 2013 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children's librarians and school teachers
Recommended to Jeff by: Found it on the library shelves
Shelves: favorites
Identity, acceptance, tolerance, and perseverance...all wrapped up in a lumpy, bumpy, dumpy, "never say never" sweet potato. This would make a great tale for storytelling as well as read aloud time. "It's not all mulch and sunshine out there. I know said the sweet potato."
Karen
Sep 14, 2012 Karen rated it liked it
Cute read-aloud about belonging and acceptance.
Maureen Shaffer
Jan 08, 2014 Maureen Shaffer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All parents and educators
Shelves: diversity, children
My 3.5 year old son loves this book. The first night I read it to him, we read it four times before I cut him off for bedtime. It is about celebrating diversity vs. the close-minded mean cliques who only hang with those who look and act like them.

I loved this book because it is the opposite of the often repeated, "One of these things is not like the other. One of these things just doesn't belong." And, it teaches children that just because some "carrots" or "flowers" behave one way, don't assume
Margaret Chind
At first I was not sure what to think about a picture book about a sweet potato. But then I realized one of my favorite things is a show that is themed around a bunch of Veggie Tales! So, in the realm of children’s books I think a story about a Little Sweet Potato could definitely work. And it does, so much more than I expected. This is a fabulous picture book about fitting in and belonging where you are just right. It is a great way to introduce to children that they will come up against animos ...more
Monica Williams
Aug 09, 2013 Monica Williams rated it it was amazing
This super cute book features a unlikely hero, but Little Sweet Potato has gumption. Little Sweet Potato gets plowed up from his familar field so the little tuber goes on the road to try to find his new home. He meets some snobby carrots, tough guy eggplants, and some pretty mean flowers. Will anyone every appreciate our lumpy, bumpy, friend? But the a friendly voice calls out "Hey you" and Little Sweet Potato whose feelings have been mashed very tender might just find the welcome he is looking ...more
Josie
Feb 25, 2015 Josie rated it really liked it
Little Sweet Potato had a good message however not much of a plot structure. I rated this book as a three because I felt like it was a little repetitive. The words and phrases this book uses would be good for k-3rd. This read aloud would be good to teach children about bullying and the effects its may have on someone. Another purpose to incorporate this book a classroom setting would be to teach a lesson on diversity. Everybody looks different but it is important to accept people for the way the ...more
Lauren
Sep 22, 2014 Lauren rated it liked it
Very cute book with wonderful, fun and creative illustrations! I like the use of vegetables rather than animals or people because it's something different from many other books. I got frustrated how everyone kept hurting the potatoes feelings, but then in the end they all included him and welcomed him so it was a good diversity book and being nice to one another and that we're all a little different
Rebecca Angel
Nov 04, 2013 Rebecca Angel rated it it was amazing
This is one of those great picture books where the illustrations AND text are equally compelling. The drawings are so freakin' cute. And the writing has some fantastic lines like, "He didn't know there could be such mean vegetation in the world."

It's a story about finding your home, amidst a world that can be quite rejecting based on your looks.

My nieces and kids (ages 4, 7, 14, 18) all love it.
Jessica Bingham
Apr 25, 2013 Jessica Bingham rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, food, garden
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS BOOK!!! Little Sweet Potato accidently rolls away from his home. He looks and looks for the place that he belongs. He meets a some carrots in a carrot patch, he asks if he belongs there. The carrots meanly say, no! Sweet Potato does not look like them. He rolls on. He meets some egg plants....review to be continued later.
Shannon
Oct 28, 2016 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: vin-nana
While Vin enjoyed this story quite a bit I had a little bit of an issue with the bully attitude many of the characters displayed. Even though the overall story had a sliver of acceptance at the end I found myself softening the harsh language used by the bully characters. Three is too young to see cruelty in action.
Stephanie Croaning
I found this an interesting choice for a YHBA nominee. It is up for a 2014-2015 picture book award. The theme is a good one -- it is about inclusion and accepting everyone, not just people who are like you. The story was a little boring though, and the pictures didn't grab my interest. SOPHIE'S SQUASH and CREEPY CARROTS are much better vegetable-based picture books. 2 out of 5 stars.
April
Aug 23, 2013 April rated it it was amazing
Little Sweet Potato falls out of the patch and begins searching for somewhere for a home. Along the way he meets unpleasant vegetables and plants that don't want him around. But eventually he finds somewhere to belong. This picture book make me tear up a little, I'll admit. And I think it would be a great pick/gift for children who feel different or left out or like they just don't fit in.
Meg
Aug 11, 2014 Meg rated it liked it
Shelves: children
An adorable take on the 'Are You My Mother?'-formatted narrative, and a great read for any student entering middle school. The lesson is a good one: ignore the mean vegetables and make friends with the nice ones!
Funny rhyming language that makes for a kid-friendly but wise little book.
Amy
A laugh out loud story. This is a wonderful and hilariously illustrated book to introduce the concept of inclusiveness to young children, as well as the importance of facial expressions in conversation (grumpy carrots? SIGN ME UP).
Alli Eidson
This book is about a little potato who rolls away from the potato patch. The potato starts to wonder it is too round or lumpy to ever find a new home again. This book is considered fiction because potatoes do not talk in real life.
Samantha
Oct 04, 2012 Samantha rated it it was ok
Little Sweet Potato searches for a patch that will accept him. After encountering many mean faces and spirits, he finally finds a home in a patch that is home to hodge podge of other fruits, flowers, and vegetables. I wanted to like this one, but it fell short of my expectations.
Megan Richards
Mar 31, 2015 Megan Richards rated it really liked it
Adorable story about a little sweet potato who leaves its home only tp find out that there is no place like home. Story about finding where you belong in the world and diversity is the best. A nice bash against mono-culture agriculture, too. Reading level 3.3 but some 3-5 year olds will enjoy.
Amy Wheatley
Mar 24, 2013 Amy Wheatley rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, sam
A cute story that could be seen either as a rejection of the industrialized agricultural practice of monoculture OR just encouragement to accept and appreciate each other's differences. Sam made me read it twice.
Lindsay
Nov 16, 2012 Lindsay rated it did not like it
I am going to have to read this book again. I just couldn't take it seriously the first time because, well, the main character is a sweet potato. Secondly, he looks like a poop. It was the biggest joke in the children's department. We couldn't stop laughing.
Marlene M Penner
Jan 22, 2015 Marlene M Penner rated it it was amazing
YHBA nominee 14-15. This book was fun to read aloud using the different voices. Younger students liked creating our own hodge podge garden patch.
Amanda Osborne
May 13, 2014 Amanda Osborne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, 14-15-yhba
Touching, adorable with a great message for little ones (or not so little ones) that don't feel they fit in anywhere. The second 2014-15 YHBA book I've read.
Bethe
Apr 12, 2014 Bethe rated it really liked it
Beautiful story about diversity, finding your place, etc. through the eyes of a sweet potato. Love the language: lumpy, dumpy and kinda bumpy! Don't miss the graffiti on the hodge-podge patch fence.
Rebecca Tolley
Feb 09, 2013 Rebecca Tolley rated it it was amazing
Bright colors & funky choice of words make this picture book about identity, acceptance, & finding a home a true jewel--all told from the perspective of a lumpy, bumpy sweet potato.
Beth
Jan 16, 2013 Beth rated it liked it
Sure, you're a happy sweet potato in your new garden...UNTIL I EAT YOU UP! This little guy might need to band together with the creepy carrots and form some sort of Anti-Vegan group.
Heather
Mar 29, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
I thought this was cute. The pics, the story, everything. Sweet potatoes don't get enough stories about them.
Cosette
Jan 23, 2016 Cosette rated it it was ok
Kindof choppy rhymes. Okay pictures. Weird moral about fitting in. Wonder why it didn't cut to a salad bowl - all them veggies fit just right in my mouth!
Kelli
Apr 16, 2013 Kelli rated it liked it
Shelves: best-kids-books
It's like an ugly duckling story, told with vegetables. The ending is a little different--more of "we're all misfits but we fit together fine." Cute story, cute pictures.
The Library Lady
Dec 06, 2012 The Library Lady rated it it was ok
Art is cute. Telling is funny, but message is trite. Yet another time when the book reviewers and I seem to have read different books(!)
Rachel
Sep 19, 2012 Rachel rated it it was ok
Interesting premise, but if feels a little didactic and it takes a really long time to get to the resolution.
Michelle Gray
An adorable story about fitting in and giving everyone a chance. The illustrations were such fun, too.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »