Start by marking “Penny and Her Doll” as Want to Read:
Penny and Her Doll

Penny and Her Doll (Mouse Books)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  663 Ratings  ·  104 Reviews
Penny loves her new doll. The doll is absolutely perfect, from her head to her toes. But Penny's doll needs a name. What should Penny call her?
Published August 21st 2012 by Greenwillow Books, an imprint of HarperCollins Children's

To ask other readers questions about Penny and Her Doll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penny and Her Doll

QNPoohBear
Nov 28, 2015 QNPoohBear rated it really liked it
Shelves: beggining-reader
Very sweet and charming. This reminds me of my oldest niece whose beloved doll took a long time to settle on a name. One of her previous names was similar to the name Penny chooses for her doll!
Jacoba
Oct 12, 2013 Jacoba rated it liked it
Penny and Her Doll by Kevin Henkes (2012)
Genre: Juvenile Fiction
Format: Book
Plot summary: Penny recieves and new doll and has trouble finding the perfect name for her.
Considerations or precautions for readers advisory (strong language, sex, death, religious overtones, violence, etc.): No special considerations
Review citation (if available): Cooper, Ilene. Booklist , 9/1/2012, Vol. 109 Issue 1, p130-131
Section source used to find the material: Children's Core Collection, ALA Notable Book 2013
Rec
Kendall Davis
May 02, 2015 Kendall Davis rated it really liked it
Penny and Her Doll is another wonderful novella by Kevin Henkes. This cute story features Penny, one of Kevin's many mice in characters in his authors collection, who receives a gift from her Gram in the mail. It's a wonderfully rosy pink doll that Penny just adores, but has no idea what to name! She thinks and thinks and finally decides on Rose, after she returns to the garden she visited when she received the package. This is one of my favorite Henkes books because Penny is so sweet, lovabe, a ...more
Lauren Brink
Apr 23, 2015 Lauren Brink rated it it was amazing
This book starts out with Penny smelling flowers in her mother’s garden while her mother is weeding. She decides that her favorite flowers to smell are the red roses. While she smells the flowers the mailman brings a package with Penny’s name on it. Penny opens it up and it is a new doll from her grandmother. She loves her new doll right away, she has pink cheeks, a prink dress, a pink bow, and big buttons. She shows off her new doll to her mama, papa, and the babies. Except there is a problem, ...more
Jennifer Parrish
Oct 29, 2014 Jennifer Parrish rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-to-read
Penny and Her Doll by Kevin Henkes is a short chapter book novella about Penny's gift she receives in the mail from Gram. Gram sent her a doll with pink cheeks, a pink dress and big buttons. Penny loved her gift more than anything but as Dad said, everyone needs a name. Penny cannot decide on a good name for her doll and after much debate decides it will come to her when the time is right. Penny showed her the whole house including the bedroom and the bathroom. Then they went outside to the gard ...more
Jim Erekson
Feb 24, 2013 Jim Erekson rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
As an early reader, this book presents a basic problem and solution structure. The middle part where everyone is offering their own names for the doll reminded me of Beskow's Rumpelstiltskin. Henkes' mice are cute, and he is in full control of this franchised style. White space breaks up small passages of text within small chapters to make it more approachable for a young reader.

More animals that don't use any animal traits.
Antoinette Evans
Apr 20, 2015 Antoinette Evans rated it really liked it
Penny and Her Doll is about a small mouse named Penny who gets a new doll mailed to her from her grandmother. Penny is so excited to have the doll however she has a very difficult time coming up with a name. I really enjoyed this book because of its illustrations and how many little girls can relate to Penny's conflict. However, for little boys this story may not interest them as much as it would for the girls. I think Kevin Henkes is very creative with merging everyday life situations into char ...more
Terry
Young Reader Reaction: Our preteen loved Penny when she was learning to read, and wanted to read this newest title, too. She thought this was "sweet," and even though she predicted the name, she still said "awww," at the end.

Adult Reader Reaction: This is one of the sweetest Penny books yet. I loved that this was a gift from Gram and that Penny adopted her as a family member right away. The conversation between Mama and Penny in the garden is fun and doesn't joke "down" to young readers.

Pros: Th
Josiah
Sep 23, 2015 Josiah rated it did not like it
The color scheme and exterior design of Kevin Henkes's picture books is almost always what catches my attention first about them. As an artistic planner, he really knows how to mix attractive pastels in subtle yet stirring beauty, juxtaposing shades that work perfectly in alignment with each other to give a broad sense of aesthetic pleasure. If there's a better author/illustrator when it comes to this aspect of the picture-book experience, I have yet to come across his or her work. Kevin Henkes ...more
Julie Rand
Oct 28, 2013 Julie Rand rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
This charming Henkes title is an easy read designed for a level two or three reader. Illustrated throughout with Henkes charming drawings of Penny and her family of mice, the drawings closely follow the text and provide lots of picture clues to help the reader along.

The book is structured in three chapters. In the first, Penny is gardening with her mother and gets a package from her grandmother which turns out to be a doll. Henkes captures the joy of a child receiving an unexpected gift. Penny’s
Melynda Moore
What: This is an excellent book for students who are just getting into chapter books by themselves. This book is about Penny receiving a new doll from her grandmother. Penny and her mother are working in the garden and Penny is admiring her favorite flower the rose, while her mother is picking weeds. She receives a package from her grandmother and it is a new doll. She immediately loves the doll realizes that she must come up with a name for the doll. No matter what she thinks of or suggestions ...more
Darlene
Book 58 Bibliographic Citation:
Henkes, K. (2012). Penny and her doll. New York, NY: Greenwillow Books.

Age/Grade Level: (Ages 5--8, Grades K—3)

Summary:
While in the garden, the mailman delivers a delightful gift to Penny. It’s a beautiful and very pink doll! Penny ponders many names for her new family member and comes up with the perfect idea.

Awards/Reviewing Sources:
2013 Kirkus Reviews—Editor’s Choice Children’s Book
2013 Children’s Books of the Year—Ages 5 to 9
Booklist (September 1, 2012 (Vol. 10
Margaret
Reading Penny and Her Doll makes me definitely want to add the first novel Penny and Her Song to my wishlist. Penny is an adorable character. I love the family interaction with Mama, Papa, Penny and the twins. This is also a lovely book. The shades of pink and purple with greens is very attractive to the eye.

I really enjoyed this ARC and I will be putting this on my wishlist for keeps as well as other Kevin Henkes books. Penny and Her Doll would make a great grandmama gift accompanied with a dol
Christie Lee
This book has "chapters" whcih will make the students feel like they are reading big kid books. It could also be used as a carpet read, that you break up into portions for the day to create anticipation. There is a spot for getting students' opinions on the names for the doll. There is also repetitive language which is great for beginning readers. As always, Kevin Henkes illustrations are sweet. I love a good mouse girl in a dress!
Alice
May 12, 2014 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh I think I am a hard core Penny fan!! I don't know what it is about it these books. They are sweet, and thoughtful and tender and lovely. She has such great supportive parents, who encourage her without force... Penny is so 'cute' with her doll and I just want to hug and squeeze her. These books are great!
Mary
Sep 14, 2014 Mary added it
Shelves: easy-readers
Penny gets a new doll and has to think of a name. A very sweet story. It reminds me of how moments that seem so small to adults are magical and full of importance when you are a child. I think I would recommend this for first graders, or precocious kindergarteners, who have started reading independently.
Jessica
Dec 03, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
This was a nice little follow-up to Penny and Her Song, and I think Penny is going to have quite a following with young kids. I liked this one a bit better than the first book, maybe because the subject matter just seemed a bit... inane in Penny and Her Song. Penny and Her Doll is just the simple story of Penny trying to find a suitable name for her doll. I like the illustrations, and the purple and pink color scheme is just lovely.

Ages 4-7
Ashleigh
When Penny receives asurprise box in the mailfrom Gram, she is thrilled.The surprise is a doll,and she is absolutely perfect,from her head to her toes.Penny loves her immediately.She introduces her new dollto Mama and to the babiesand to Papa. But then Papaasks what the doll's name is,and Penny realizes thatshe doesn't know.

What do you thinkwill happen?

Another great early reader! I like the potential discussion about names and how children get their names. I also think that many children can rel
Candace Offutt
I think this is a cute book that students can make connections with. I think every small child has that certain object that they just cannot part with. I am 25 years old and I still have my doll from my childhood that I cannot part with! :)
Angelina Perez
Penny receives a surprise box in the mail form her Gram. Penny loves the doll. She showed the doll to her mam, to her papa, and to the babies. When papa asked Penny what her doll’s name is, Penny realizes that she does not have name and after some hard thinking Penny comes up with a name “Rose”. This book is meant for younger children because of the problem that the little mouse encounter which I don’t think it’s really a problem. This book was not that interesting to me because it was not a pro ...more
Maggi Rohde
Apr 25, 2015 Maggi Rohde rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, easy-reader
Patience, and trust in yourself that the right name will emerge. These are not experiences I usually assign to children - but it's believable, of course, because Henkes.
Donna
Jul 27, 2014 Donna rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Straightforward, beginner reader chapter book. Very simple, clear story with understandable divisions into short chapters.
Maggie
A slightly more sophisticated chapter book for emergent readers who are just beginning to delve into longer texts. The illustrations are supportive, but children will have to work at some of the trickier words. The story line is relatable for many children (Penny receives a doll and has a hard time choosing a name).
Sandy Brehl
Penny continues to charm with her very believeable concerns about even the most smile daily events.
Amy
Penny receives a doll in the mail from Gram. She loves it but she can't decide on a name.
Julie
Another addition to the Penny series and perfect for beginning chapter book readers.
pati
Simple start, great for a beginning reader to practice their literacy skills.
Stacy
Apr 27, 2014 Stacy rated it really liked it
Penny gets a new doll. She can't figure out what to call her.
Kathy Ellen Davis
Feb 03, 2013 Kathy Ellen Davis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-reader
Lovely little book.
Kevin Henkes always illustrates everything so wonderfully that this could just be a wordless book and I'd be happy.

But the story is what makes it so sweet.
It feels like an accomplishment when you finish the book, too.
There's multiple small chapters, easy to read sentences, and the subject of finding the perfect name for a doll is right on with children.

Can't wait to read up on some more of Penny's adventures!

Haiku Review:
Penny's pretty doll,
has a pink bow and buttons
but still
Red Balloon Bookshop
New readers will enjoy Kevin Henkes's newest mouse, Penny. When she receives a surprise box in the mail from Gram, Penny is thrilled. The surprise is a doll, and she is absolutely perfect. "I love her already," Penny says to both her mom and dad. But Penny's delight turns to worry when she realizes she doesn't have a name for this perfect doll. Henkes's natural but controlled storytelling and warm illustrations in both Penny books (Penny and Her Song is the first book) are perfect for new reader ...more
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • Two for One (Bink & Gollie, #2)
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Let's Go for a Drive!
  • Up, Tall, and High!
  • Ling & Ting: Not Exactly the Same!
  • hello! hello!
  • Mouse and Mole: A Winter Wonderland
  • Machines Go to Work in the City
  • Nighttime Ninja
  • Lulu and the Duck in the Park
Kevin Henkes became an author/illustrator when he was nineteen years old, working on a card table in his bedroom.
Today he's the author of many award-winning picture books and novels.
More about Kevin Henkes...

Mouse Books (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • A Weekend with Wendell