Penny and Her Doll

Penny and Her Doll (Mouse Books)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  421 ratings  ·  88 reviews
Published August 21st 2012 by Greenwillow Books, an imprint of HarperCollins Children's

To ask other readers questions about Penny and Her Doll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penny and Her Doll

Jacoba
Penny and Her Doll by Kevin Henkes (2012)
Genre: Juvenile Fiction
Format: Book
Plot summary: Penny recieves and new doll and has trouble finding the perfect name for her.
Considerations or precautions for readers advisory (strong language, sex, death, religious overtones, violence, etc.): No special considerations
Review citation (if available): Cooper, Ilene. Booklist , 9/1/2012, Vol. 109 Issue 1, p130-131
Section source used to find the material: Children's Core Collection, ALA Notable Book 2013
Rec...more
Jim Erekson
As an early reader, this book presents a basic problem and solution structure. The middle part where everyone is offering their own names for the doll reminded me of Beskow's Rumpelstiltskin. Henkes' mice are cute, and he is in full control of this franchised style. White space breaks up small passages of text within small chapters to make it more approachable for a young reader.

More animals that don't use any animal traits.
Josiah
The color scheme and exterior design of Kevin Henkes's picture books is almost always what catches my attention first about them. As an artistic planner, he really knows how to mix attractive pastels in subtle yet stirring beauty, juxtaposing shades that work perfectly in alignment with each other to give a broad sense of aesthetic pleasure. If there's a better author/illustrator when it comes to this aspect of the picture-book experience, I have yet to come across his or her work. Kevin Henkes...more
Julie Rand
This charming Henkes title is an easy read designed for a level two or three reader. Illustrated throughout with Henkes charming drawings of Penny and her family of mice, the drawings closely follow the text and provide lots of picture clues to help the reader along.

The book is structured in three chapters. In the first, Penny is gardening with her mother and gets a package from her grandmother which turns out to be a doll. Henkes captures the joy of a child receiving an unexpected gift. Penny’s...more
Melynda Moore
What: This is an excellent book for students who are just getting into chapter books by themselves. This book is about Penny receiving a new doll from her grandmother. Penny and her mother are working in the garden and Penny is admiring her favorite flower the rose, while her mother is picking weeds. She receives a package from her grandmother and it is a new doll. She immediately loves the doll realizes that she must come up with a name for the doll. No matter what she thinks of or suggestions...more
Darlene
Book 58 Bibliographic Citation:
Henkes, K. (2012). Penny and her doll. New York, NY: Greenwillow Books.

Age/Grade Level: (Ages 5--8, Grades K—3)

Summary:
While in the garden, the mailman delivers a delightful gift to Penny. It’s a beautiful and very pink doll! Penny ponders many names for her new family member and comes up with the perfect idea.

Awards/Reviewing Sources:
2013 Kirkus Reviews—Editor’s Choice Children’s Book
2013 Children’s Books of the Year—Ages 5 to 9
Booklist (September 1, 2012 (Vol. 10...more
Margaret
Reading Penny and Her Doll makes me definitely want to add the first novel Penny and Her Song to my wishlist. Penny is an adorable character. I love the family interaction with Mama, Papa, Penny and the twins. This is also a lovely book. The shades of pink and purple with greens is very attractive to the eye.

I really enjoyed this ARC and I will be putting this on my wishlist for keeps as well as other Kevin Henkes books. Penny and Her Doll would make a great grandmama gift accompanied with a dol...more
Alice
Oh I think I am a hard core Penny fan!! I don't know what it is about it these books. They are sweet, and thoughtful and tender and lovely. She has such great supportive parents, who encourage her without force... Penny is so 'cute' with her doll and I just want to hug and squeeze her. These books are great!
Jessica
This was a nice little follow-up to Penny and Her Song, and I think Penny is going to have quite a following with young kids. I liked this one a bit better than the first book, maybe because the subject matter just seemed a bit... inane in Penny and Her Song. Penny and Her Doll is just the simple story of Penny trying to find a suitable name for her doll. I like the illustrations, and the purple and pink color scheme is just lovely.

Ages 4-7
Ashleigh
When Penny receives asurprise box in the mailfrom Gram, she is thrilled.The surprise is a doll,and she is absolutely perfect,from her head to her toes.Penny loves her immediately.She introduces her new dollto Mama and to the babiesand to Papa. But then Papaasks what the doll's name is,and Penny realizes thatshe doesn't know.

What do you thinkwill happen?

Another great early reader! I like the potential discussion about names and how children get their names. I also think that many children can rel...more
Candace Offutt
I think this is a cute book that students can make connections with. I think every small child has that certain object that they just cannot part with. I am 25 years old and I still have my doll from my childhood that I cannot part with! :)
Angelina Perez
Penny receives a surprise box in the mail form her Gram. Penny loves the doll. She showed the doll to her mam, to her papa, and to the babies. When papa asked Penny what her doll’s name is, Penny realizes that she does not have name and after some hard thinking Penny comes up with a name “Rose”. This book is meant for younger children because of the problem that the little mouse encounter which I don’t think it’s really a problem. This book was not that interesting to me because it was not a pro...more
Donna
Straightforward, beginner reader chapter book. Very simple, clear story with understandable divisions into short chapters.
Julie
Another addition to the Penny series and perfect for beginning chapter book readers.
pati
Simple start, great for a beginning reader to practice their literacy skills.
Stacy
Penny gets a new doll. She can't figure out what to call her.
Kathy Ellen Davis
Lovely little book.
Kevin Henkes always illustrates everything so wonderfully that this could just be a wordless book and I'd be happy.

But the story is what makes it so sweet.
It feels like an accomplishment when you finish the book, too.
There's multiple small chapters, easy to read sentences, and the subject of finding the perfect name for a doll is right on with children.

Can't wait to read up on some more of Penny's adventures!

Haiku Review:
Penny's pretty doll,
has a pink bow and buttons
but still...more
Red Balloon Bookshop
New readers will enjoy Kevin Henkes's newest mouse, Penny. When she receives a surprise box in the mail from Gram, Penny is thrilled. The surprise is a doll, and she is absolutely perfect. "I love her already," Penny says to both her mom and dad. But Penny's delight turns to worry when she realizes she doesn't have a name for this perfect doll. Henkes's natural but controlled storytelling and warm illustrations in both Penny books (Penny and Her Song is the first book) are perfect for new reader...more
Becky
I definitely enjoyed reading Kevin Henkes' second Penny book. In this one, Penny receives a lovely doll from her grandmother. She LOVES her doll; she loves everything about her doll. The conflict in this one is that Penny cannot think of a good name, a proper name, a "just right" name for her new doll. She knows that her doll needs a name--after all everybody has a name. But how will she know which name is the RIGHT name for her doll? The story is told in short chapters. I loved the writing and...more
Shawna Kopp
I liked this book as an entertaining read for students when they just need a break from thinking! I'm sure many of the student's can relate to having a special object they care about like penny does.
Brianna
This book is really cute for a little girl! If I was young again this would be one of my favorite books! I like this book because it has a story line that flows. Another reason why I like it is because the story kind of has you want to keep reading because it's a mystery. This little mouse named Penny gets a doll in the mail from her grandma, when she receives this gift she was outside in the garden with her mom. When you read this you'll find out what the significance of the garden is with her...more
Marika
When Penny receives a new doll from her grandmother, she loves her immediately, from her pink cheeks to her pink dress with big buttons. But unlike everyone else in Penny's family, the doll doesn't have a name. Penny worries about finding the right name for her doll. Her parents assure her the perfect name will come, and sure enough, it does. Penny
is a wonderful addition to Kevin Henkes' fabulous mouse characters and children are sure to love her beautiful beginning reader series.
Lu Benke
It's hard to find an easy reader that deserves more than three stars and yet I think this one does. I love Henke's colorful drawings of mice outlined in black. Thd dialogue is natural, comfortable (authentic!) yet very appropriate for beginning readers. There's a rhythm to the story that builds to the simple yet satisfying naming of the doll. The visual antics of the twin babies add to the sense of life going on around Penny. I'd find it easy to recommend this one to a young reader.
Emily
I liked and disliked this book. It didn't really interest me, but I did pick out a few meanings it the story that could be relatable for young readers. The one part of the story that stuck out to me the most, was the fact of how happy Penny was when she received her doll. I remember when a simple little doll was the greatest thing in the world to me. So it was kind of fun reading this story and thinking "I remember being so happy whenever I got a doll."
Samantha
Penny receives a doll in the mail and struggles to pick the perfect name for her. After thinking about it nonstop, she takes the advice of her family and doesn't worry about it, she lets he right name find her. Penny takes her doll around the house and yard and finds her inspiration in the garden.

A great easy reader chapter book, especially for new readers orking on gaining confidence. Recommended for grades K-2.
Penny has received a doll from her Gram and now must decide what to name her - a very important decision. Henkes manages to subtly and organically add to our knowledge of Penny's family - we learn everyone's names and see more of the house and garden. There's gentle humor throughout this series, such as when Mama says she doesn't have a favorite weed. This is definitely my favorite of the three I've read so far.
Dana
Great new Kevin Henkes series! I'm not sure who loves it more - me or Maisie (okay, me). Had to restrain myself from buying a Penny doll at University Bookstore yesterday. Their support of this Madison author was truly endearing - they had all of his books in board, paperback and hard cover. We have bought the rest of the Penny books for Maisie's prize basket - hoping she will earn them soon!
The Styling Librarian
Penny and Her Doll by Kevin Henkes - Early reader- PK-2nd grade- I'm so thrilled to finally read a Penny story! I heard wonderful reviews for months now and was happy to find one on the bookshelf. This was such a precious story from beginning to conclusion with simple yet realistic situations that I know children will adore. Note to self: get the other two Penny books soon!
Bree
Notes:
the second of the Penny books
cute story where she names her new doll
Henkes' illustrations are so lovely in this whole series
'short chapter' format seems unnecessary
the kids enjoyed this more than the first
Bonnie
I adore this new series by Kevin Henkes, and not only because of the Penny connection. It is sweet and genuine, and speaks to the needs and interests of very young girls. This and Penny's other stories will be lovely, manageable read alouds for the very young and a perfect big/little sister read along for a newly independent reader.
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Let's Go for a Drive!
  • Two for One (Bink & Gollie, #2)
  • Nighttime Ninja
  • Dreaming Up: A Celebration of Building
  • Ling & Ting: Not Exactly the Same!
  • A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse
  • Marty McGuire Digs Worms!
  • Charley's First Night
  • Up, Tall, and High!
  • hello! hello!
  • Machines Go to Work in the City
  • Rocket Writes a Story
  • Play Ball! (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)
  • Bear Has a Story to Tell
  • Jimmy the Greatest!
Kevin Henkes became an author/illustrator when he was nineteen years old, working on a card table in his bedroom.
Today he's the author of many award-winning picture books and novels.
More about Kevin Henkes...
Chrysanthemum Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse Kitten's First Full Moon Owen Wemberly Worried