The Little Paris Kitchen

The Little Paris Kitchen

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  491 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Rachel Khoo serves up a modern twist on classic French cooking

Rachel Khoo was determined to get to grips with French cooking, so to learn more she moved to Paris, not speaking a word of French, and enrolled at Le Cordon Bleu, the world-famous cookery school. Six years later, she still lives and works in Paris, cooking up a selection of classic French dishes from all over t...more
Published 2012 by Michael Joseph

Gluten Free Slow Cooker by F.L. CloverMom's Island Bakens by Martha Char LoveThe Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook  by Cheryl DayBarefoot Contessa Back to Basics by Ina GartenThe Homesick Texan Cookbook by Lisa Fain
All-Time Favorite Cookery Books
33rd out of 85 books — 20 voters
The Judgment of Paris by Ross KingThe Piano Shop on the Left Bank by Thad CarhartMastering the Art of French Eating by Ann MahAlmost French by Sarah TurnbullFrench Lessons by Ellen Sussman
Paris Related
34th out of 51 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Ricki Jill Treleaven
This week I've been reading and cooking recipes form The Little Paris Kitchen: 120 Simple but Classic French Recipes by Rachel Khoo. I thought this book might be a little more like My Berlin Kitchen and Apron Anxiety, but it's less of a memoir and more of a recipe book than the two others.

Rachel Khoo was living in London working as a fashion publicist when she decided to move to Paris and earn a degree from the prestigious Cordon Bleu. In her book, Rachel aims to make French cuisine more accessi...more
Dawn
A Scandalously Undervalued Cooking Guide for the Modern Woman

In today's economic climate where women, more often than not, work both inside and outside of the home, creating delicious, yet simple, home-cooked meals may be a challenge for those down to their last unfrazzled brain cells. They need look no further. Ms. Khoo's charming and unpretentious approach to food suits my life perfectly. Recipes, which, on first view, might seem palate-daunting to the average North American, such as the Fig a...more
Greg
This is one of the best things that came out of my last stint of house sitting in den Haag. I have a film maker friend whom sometimes needs either an assistant or a home sitter and earlier this year I got to go and assist/home sit for him. While there I saw the six episode series about this cookbook and my partner bought it for us. Rachel makes Gourmet food in a way that is accessible and doable at home.

She has a range of recipes from vegetarian to meat centric across the everyday to special oc...more
Daisy
I like it enough to copy out some recipes for my files, but not enough to own.

Recipes I've noted to try:

Quatre-quarts aux agrumes*

Cake au saucisson sec avec pistaches et prunes (but I'd make a vegetarian version--in fact, she says to try this with whatever leftovers you happen to have)

Mousse aux éclats de chocolat

Riz rouge au lait d'amande

Compotée de tomates cerise et vanille

How to make your own vinegar: equal amounts red wine or white or champagne and organic cider vinegar in a clean jar large...more
Louise
I rarely follow recipes or cook from cook books, but I still enjoyed reading through the little intro paragraphs of each recipe in this book. Before I was even gifted this book, I was a fan of Rachel Khoo's. I watched all the episodes of her show of the same name. There's something about being crammed in that tiny kitchen of hers that makes all her cooking look amazing. I love the water-colored pages and photos in this book.

This book doesn't contain the most authentic of French recipes (there's...more
Britt
Jan 23, 2013 Britt rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anybody who has a love for french food done wonderfully and simply.
Rachel cleverly takes traditional french recipes, puts her own spin on them and makes them accessible for the everyday cook. Probably wouldn't recommend this book to beginner cooks, but there are some simpler recipes for those that aren't so fluent in the kitchen. I've made it a personal goal (in true Julie Powell fashion) to cook every recipe in here before the end of the year. That's how much I enjoy it!
Gloriavirtutisumbra
This cookbook thus far is a total dreamfest. So many good ideas (And so many insanely tempting photos)... I suspect I will be buying a copy of this one... she makes me want to attempt to bake all those delights (with gluten free flour) and dig out my copy of Tante Marie's French Pastry from 1954, by Charlotte Turgeon. You wont lose weight with this book, but you will be very happy.
Karen
An amazing book from an amazing cook. Rachel Khoo runs a tiny two person restaurant in her little Paris apartment. Her food is exquisite, French and fabulous. Simple rustic authentic French cuisine that anyone can copy easily. I thoroughly recommend this book to any French food lover, who wishes to replicate French cuisine with ease.
Paula
I found this author on a BBC television show and was entranced at how she was cooking in the tiniest kitchen I had even seen - in fact if she had to bake anything, it was in a toaster oven and she had only 1 propane burner for sauces, etc. - amazing - and yummie. I got this book from the library and it is packed with lovely recipes - not too too fussy (we own the Julia Child's French Cookbook which is more complicated and have cooked from it), so my husband and I are looking forward to doing a F...more
Charlie
Dreadful. Are we reading about French cooking or viewing a fashion spread of the author?
Fiona
Fiona added it
Jan 21, 2014
Monica **can't read fast enough**
This is the first cookbook that I purchased as an eBook. Although the photographs are great and I do like some of the features that having an eBook allows, like clicking on a link within the book to move to a cited area, I'm not certain that I will buy many cookbooks in this form, there's just something about having a cookbook in hand for me. This is a sweet book with easy to follow recipes that are well laid out. However, if you are feeding a family of 4 consistently, especially if you have hea...more
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ #teampain member
I freely admit that I'm a francophile. I heart all things France: the food, the art, the people, the culture, the joie de vivre well... you get the picture. This translates into having a number of French cookbooks. Also, I should disclose that Rachel Khoo is my new chef crush. So take this review with the proverbial grain of salt.

However, having said all that the recipes in this book are highly accessible, inventive & original with some stunning photography to accompany the recipes. She sug...more
Ann Brogan
I think it's a great collection of recipes regardless of their authenticity or provenance. So the book looks nice and the photography is attractive, ditto the author, yet Rachel Khoo demonstrates her training as a pastry chef very well in the way the recipes are explained. Not one recipe I have tried has disappointed me so far, this is due to the fact that unlike many food writers today, the recipes in this book have clearly been tried, tested and adapted to suit the home cook's ability and leve...more
Paul R. H. Walker
New simple takes on traditional french dishes

I cook from and read a ton of cookbooks including many celebrity chefs or cooks. This one is distinctive accessible and straightforward. Great descriptions and background. Great new interpretations of traditional dishes such as Nicoise salad lettuce wraps or individual beef Wellington or coq au vin on a skewer. Absolutely love this book. Unique sections such as picnics. A must have!!!
I adore this book and have turned to it for many a Sunday brunch, for its fabulous recipes such as eggs inn pots, croque madame and Madeline's, all the recipes are simple and easy to follow, i loved the cheese and potato nests, but was not able to find the correct cheese so i substituted it for an alternative cheese and it still tasted amazing, I highly recommend this book, my copy is definitely well loved and splattered with many food stains!
She's simplified and lightened (relatively) some French classics. The recipes are easy to follow, but I'm not sure why you'd need this book - we already have dorrie Greenspan. And some of the twists may not be worthwhile - pot au feu fajitas sounds like filler.

Khoo is much stronger on deserts, and that's where this book shines. It's also where the recipes get more complicated, though.

While I appreciate photos of every recipe, there are way too many photos of the author playing cute. Celebrities...more
Alaine
If you watched the television series then you will like the cook book. It is not full of recipes that I'd cook but there are a few I'd really like to try. I think it's important to note that Rachel Khoo is from London so her recipes aren't all traditional French cuisine, rather many of them have an English twist.
Saskia
Heb je ooit een kookboek echt uitgelezen? Volgens mij niet... Wat een prachtig cadeau kreeg ik van Simone ("mijn protégéetje" :-)) als dank voor mijn begeleiding! Ik ben sinds een week heerlijk aan het genieten van het kookboek van Rachel (toeval?) die in haar mini-keuken in Parijs de Franse keuken in acceptabele, makkelijk te maken recepten heeft gevat. Ze heeft het boek ingedeeld in het leefritme van de Parijzenaars en dit geeft meteen en erg leuk cultuurinkijkje. Ik heb er nog niets uit gekoo...more
Michael
Classic French meets modern innovation. I really liked this book. One for the permanent shelf.
Aileen
Delightful book very good photographs and recipes. I loved her TV program as well
Lynne
Pretty book - cheap in Smiths (60%off) but far too many pictures of Khoo, billed as the 'British Amelie of cooking' (sticks fingers down throat and vomits copiously). Twee floral dresses and pretty French friends standing decoratively about clutching glasses of vino notwithstanding, some of the recipes actually look good. Personally, this useless cook could do without Khoo with her cafe, Khoo with her baguette, Khoo by the Eiffel Tower, Khoo with her models on le pic-nic, Khoo sticking her finge...more
Daniel
This is a fabulous recipe book; you can tell from the little touches like the labelled drawings dotted throughout and the brief histories of dishes above each recipe that Rachel has really put love and passion into creating this! The soupe au pistou, in particular, has become a firm favourite at home; the only criticism I have, as one would expect from a cookbook about French cuisine, is that I'm a vegetarian so cannot eat a fair proportion of the main courses. Still, when the desserts are as go...more
Crafty
Beautiful.
Charcoal
I'm not quite sure why the author called this book "Simple But Classic French Recipes". The recipes look very fancy and call for ingredients which I don't have in my kitchen. The book looks very cutesy and French, but I didn't see one recipe in there that I would actually make.
Ninja Neko
I watched most episodes (from the corner of my eye) but wasn't a big fan of Rachel's tv show (dunno why exactly, maybe I'm suffering from cooking show overdose). Still, today I flipped through the book and couldn't tear myself away. Most recipes look simple enough and French food is one of my favourite things to cook at home. (She has recipes with quenelles! I've always wanted to make those). I hope this cookbook lives up to its looks...
Kristina
I really enjoyed this cookbook. I read it almost cover to cover. I enjoyed her side notes on some of the history behind the ingredients and the traditions of the recipes. I also liked her "pourqoui" at the end of the recipes explaining why she used a certain ingredient instead of another. I'm looking forward to trying her tartiflettes, gougeres and gratin au poisson. But I'm still not trying the steak tartare.
Benjamin
This is a decent enough cookbook. The recipes are relatively simple and the photography is gorgeous. The recipes we've tried have been successful, and Khoo lists alternative ingredients in many of the entries so you suit the food to your liking. It's not incredibly inspiring, though—I'm not running home from work to use it—and as cute as Rachel Khoo is, there may be a few too many photos of her strolling through Paris.
Ampersand Canada's Book & Gift Agency Inc
Rachel Khoo demystifies French cooking. Some of the recipes are so easy, even I can do them. Check out our upcoming eat and tweet on twitter this month. There will be a recipe from this hot swish title. Rachel Khoo, is a top personality in Paris. You can find her on TV, or you may even be lucky enough to have dinner with her, as she opens up her apartment to customers to see the real little Paris Kitchen.
Paula
I saw Little Paris Kitchen on the cooking channel recently and completely fell in love with Rachel and gorgeous Paris! Got the book out of yhe library that matched the tv show. Its an absolute delight jammed packed with the most divine frenchy dishes that even a novice can tackle, thanks to Rachel! So it made me do two things; cook and start saving for a holiday to Paris! Wait for me Paris!
  • The French Market Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes from My Parisian Kitchen
  • What Katie Ate: Recipes and Other Bits & Pieces
  • Home made
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Recipes for an Inspired Life
  • Nigellissima: Instant Italian Inspiration
  • Bouchon Bakery
  • The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods
  • The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook : More Than 100 Recipes From the Best Little Bakery In the South
  • Vintage Cakes: Timeless Recipes for Cupcakes, Flips, Rolls, Layer, Angel, Bundt, Chiffon, and Icebox Cakes for Today's Sweet Tooth
  • Ancient Grains for Modern Meals: Mediterranean Whole Grain Recipes for Barley, Farro, Kamut, Polenta, Wheat Berries & More
  • The Kinfolk Table: Recipes for Small Gatherings
  • Breakfast, Lunch, Tea
  • Forgotten Skills of Cooking: The Lost Art of Creating Delicious Home Produce, with Over 600 Recipes
  • Chicken and Egg: A Memoir of Suburban Homesteading with 125 Recipes
  • River Cottage Every Day
  • The Secret Lives of Baked Goods: Sweet Stories & Recipes for America's Favorite Desserts
  • The Heart of the Plate: Vegetarian Recipes for a New Generation
  • Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
My Little French Kitchen Barres de céréales: muesli et granola maison Rachel Khoo's Pates and Spreads Pâtes à tartiner Mijn Franse keuken