Start by marking “Hyperspace (Choose Your Own Adventure, #21)” as Want to Read:
Hyperspace (Choose Your Own Adventure, #21)

Hyperspace (Choose Your Own Adventure #21)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  253 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
YOU ARE ABOUT TO DISCOVER WHAT LIES BEYOND THE UNIVERSE.

Your new neighbor, Professor Zinka, is a brilliant scientist who is exploring the mysteries of Hyperspace. One day he invites you into his secret laboratory to show you his most daring invention -- the hypolaser. Before you can stop him, he pulls a red lever -- and vanishes into another dimension!

What should you do?

If
Mass Market Paperback, 128 pages
Published May 1st 1983 by Bantam (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Hyperspace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hyperspace

If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo CalvinoHouse of Leaves by Mark Z. DanielewskiPale Fire by Vladimir NabokovCloud Atlas by David MitchellSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Oulipo,etc.
180th out of 236 books — 231 voters
Across the Universe by Beth RevisEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardThese Broken Stars by Amie KaufmanCinder by Marissa MeyerA Million Suns by Beth Revis
Teenagers . . . IN SPACE!
221st out of 278 books — 451 voters

More lists with this book...

David Sarkies
Jun 26, 2015 David Sarkies rated it it was ok
Shelves: gamebook
A gateway to the stars
28 September 2012

I think I am getting to the books were I am really vague about their contents. Many of the later Choose Your Own Adventure books I would have read probably in one sitting and put them aside, and while the cover is recognisable (and it could simply be that I saw it in a shop and thought to myself that I wanted it) I an quite vague about the story. I do remember that my local library did have a number of them and because as a kid I really liked them I would
Swankivy
Jun 11, 2013 Swankivy rated it liked it
Okay, I remember being unsure whether I liked this Choose Your Own Adventure book or whether it just freaked me out, but I'd never read a book quite like it. It of course had the usual twists and turns that resulted from letting the reader choose the storyline, but what's different about this one is that the abject bizarreness of the results are actually explained somewhat by the plot. Sometimes in Choose Your Own Adventure, you could literally be choosing the apparently safest option and you wo ...more
Abbie
I had to restart 5 times before I got a happy ending.
Julie Decker
Jul 07, 2014 Julie Decker rated it liked it
Hyperspace. What does that mean? Well, it means that just about anything can happen--and you're in the driver's seat! But you can't expect to know what will happen to you when you enter time and space in a way unlike you've ever imagined before. . . .

Choose Your Own Adventure was a ton of fun for me as a kid, but sometimes it really bothered me that playing it safe still often led to terrible ends and vice versa. In this one, there was even some meta elements that weren't typical of the rest of
Nathan Burgoine
May 30, 2015 Nathan Burgoine rated it really liked it
I loved the Choose Your Own Adventure books, and constantly borrowed them from the library. I owned a few, too, and would mark little pencilled notations on all the endings I managed to reach in my own copies (I'd tuck aside a piece of paper for the ones from the library). When I was nine and ten, these books got re-read so many times it was unreal, and they paved the way to me wanting to write, too, as sometimes I got annoyed at an obvious, missing option.

This one I loved especially, for it's s
Valerie
I suppose to get full value from these books, you have to read all the 'happentracks' (to use Michael Coney's term). I don't tend to, though--I pick one route, and follow it, which kind of defeats the purpose, I suspect. The narrative is necessarily choppy, because you have to keep thumbing back and forth. And the stories aren't very complex, generally. But it's an interesting concept, and deserves further development. I'd heard there was some attempt at such in hyperText, but I haven't seen any ...more
Monica
Dec 10, 2015 Monica rated it really liked it
ÉSTE ES UNO DE ÉSOS TOMOS ESPECIALES DENTRO DE LA SERIE...DE ÉSAS PIEZAS QUE SE VALORAN CON EL PASO DEL TIEMPO. SE PODRÍA DECIR QUE ES UNA SEGUNDA PARTE O SPIN OFF DE LA EXTRAORDINARIA 'OVNI 54-40'; EL ENTRONO ESTÁ 'InPREGNADO DE ÉSTA'..
SUMAMENTE EXTRAÑO, PERO SIN LLEGAR A LA CÚSPIDE DEL ANTERIORMENTE MENCIONADO, Y CON UNA NARRATIVA ETÉREA Y PROLONGADA, YA QUE, CURIOSAMENTE, TAN SÓLO CONTIENE 15 HISTORIAS.
DIMENSIONES Y ESPACIOS QUE JUEGAN CONTIGO.. ¿O TÚ CON ELLOS?, LO DESCUBRIRÁS CUANDO LO LEA
Adam Duclos
Feb 12, 2016 Adam Duclos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book that I read while I was in grade school. The only thing I remember about it was one of the death pages... somehow another universe was leaking into ours and the natural laws (or lack thereof) of that place was turning everything in our universe into formless bunches of dust. That really stuck with me.

E
May 31, 2016 E rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Ridiculous. Absurd. Awesome.
Josiah
May 14, 2009 Josiah rated it it was ok
There certainly are some very creative twists in this book. Edward Packard breaches the fourth wall quite effectively, engineering some of the strangest twists this side of his book "Dream Trips".
It can be difficult to get into a longer, mainstream story that really displays well the elements that make this story interesting, and the decisions oftentimes seem to be random, with less emphasis than usual on making logical choices, but I would recommend this book.
Daniel
May 12, 2010 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Like most of the Edward Packard CYOA books, this one was a fantastic work of a powerful imagination. Possible storylines lead to terror, paradise, and transcendence. Dr. Nera Vivaldi makes another appearance in this book, as she does in nearly every E.P. SciFi CYOA. I always felt relieved and happy to see her, even though, when she shows up, the shit is usually about to hit the fan. She may very well be the first fictional female I had a crush on.
Mikana
Sep 28, 2015 Mikana rated it liked it
I loved the choose your-own-adventure books during my early years, and believe these are a great set of books for those who are new to reading their own books.
Vulgrin
Feb 15, 2008 Vulgrin rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books of all time, and my fondest memories of Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books revolved around this title. I can't even remember why I liked it so much, but for some reason the story captivated my 10 year old imagination and held it tight.
Marts  (Thinker)
Apr 29, 2011 Marts (Thinker) rated it really liked it
Explore the msteries of Hyperspace in adventure #21 of the 'Choose your own adventure' series... in these books the reader gets to be the central character by choosing what path the tale follows through a variety of endings...
Sheila Read
Jul 08, 2013 Sheila Read rated it it was amazing
the adventures that I went through when I was bored I just read these books over and over again you would never get to the end of the story.
•*•.suprasixxcinco.•*•
Nov 26, 2013 •*•.suprasixxcinco.•*• rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the twists and turns in this book. Always a fun read.
David
Oct 25, 2013 David rated it it was ok
Not the same without the iconic Paul Granger illustrations.
 10-11 Micah
Ok bit not the best one of its series.

Nicholas
Nicholas rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Mark Gouthro
Mark Gouthro rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Tarra
Tarra rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Simon Yoong
Simon Yoong rated it it was ok
Aug 01, 2016
John Diary
John Diary rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Greta
Greta rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Rainbowcarnage
Rainbowcarnage marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Markand Charndy
Markand Charndy marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Roberto Salas
Roberto Salas rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2016
  • Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4)
  • Space Patrol (Choose Your Own Adventure, #22)
  • Vampire Express (Choose Your Own Adventure, #31)
  • By Balloon to the Sahara (Choose Your Own Adventure, #3)
  • Inca Gold (Choose Your Own Adventure, #85)
  • Secret of the Pyramids (Choose Your Own Adventure, #19)
  • Search for Dinosaurs (Time Machine, #2)
  • Secret of the Ninja (Choose Your Own Adventure, #66)
  • Mountain Of Mirrors (Endless Quest, #2)
  • The Darke Crusade (Lone Wolf, #15)
Edward Packard attended and graduated from both Princeton University and Columbia Law School. He was one of the first authors to explore the idea of gamebooks, in which the reader is inserted as the main character and makes choices about the direction the story will go at designated places in the text.

The first such book that Edward Packard wrote in the Choose Your Own Adventure series was titled
More about Edward Packard...

Choose Your Own Adventure (1 - 10 of 185 books)
  • The Cave of Time (Choose Your Own Adventure, #1)
  • Journey Under the Sea (Choose Your Own Adventure, #2)
  • By Balloon to the Sahara (Choose Your Own Adventure, #3)
  • Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4)
  • The Mystery Of Chimney Rock (Choose Your Own Adventure, #5)
  • Your Code Name Is Jonah (Choose Your Own Adventure #6)
  • The Third Planet from Altair (Choose Your Own Adventure, #7)
  • Deadwood City (Choose Your Own Adventure, #8)
  • Who Killed Harlowe Thrombey? (Choose Your Own Adventure, #9)
  • The Lost Jewels of Nabooti (Choose Your Own Adventure, #10)